• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
My theory is that it's programmed to adjust the frequency either based on the concurrent number of people in the zone. So it will vary by time and by day (for example there's a lot more people in certain starter zones on days when that general area comes up on the daily).

Maybe, it can just make levelling up a new character a bit of a pain on occasion.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I logged on last night for the first time ever. I know nothing about Guild Wars as I never played the first one.

I have played many MMO's (WoW, EQ/EQII/FFXI/TSW etc etc. I started as a human warrior and have just completed first small instance in the city... or whatever it is?

I found it odd it immediately populated my quest screen with dailies at level 1......

I will say the reviews were right and this game definitely doesn't hold your hand as much through the first hour or so as other MMO's do.

I am rolling a human warrior. What do I need to know GAF?!?!?
Note- about the achievements, completing any category, plus completing the daily itself (any 5 categories of 9) gets you a nice big chunk of XP on that character. So it's quite a good thing you see them up there at level 1! :)

Definitely do not focus on "filling up a heart and moving to the next one." Everything gets you XP- vistas, skill challenges, Points of Interest, gathering, just exploring and unlocking waypoints and area names. If you find yourself getting bored with something, just move on- all your progress in that heart is saved. Oftentimes you'll find an event will take you into the zone of a heart and fill it in for you.

Explore! Lots of what makes the game crate is beneath the surface. If you look at something and think, "I wonder if I can get there," not only is the answer very frequently yes, but you'll find plenty of hidden stuff that way too.

If you're interested in joining the guild, let me know! It's always fun to get a party together to run about the world leveling. Because of downscaling there's a huge variety of options as to where you can go as a party.

This actually helps a lot man. I appreciate it. I certainly was trying to play it like the traditional MMO and found myself frustrated, and didn't know which way to go or what to do. I will begin wondering now.

Pretty much what the other have said. In short:
tumblr_inline_mjx865Xyor1qz4rgp.jpg

Unless something isn't that fun, then just skip it.

Jira

Something I posted elsewhere:

Some general suggestions:

-Don't race to 80. This isn't every other MMO where you race to the cap to play a different game. The general concepts of the game are identical at 80 as they are at level 1.

-Explore EVERYTHING, gather EVERYTHING, DO everything. Don't be afraid to look around, you will be aptly rewarded for doing so. Everything you do in GW2 grants you XP. The orange circles and what not are Dynamic Events, they are your bread and butter for XP. The Hearts are kinda me too type stuff where you can get those done while doing DEs in nearby areas.

-Content patches roll out on the last Tuesday of every month so the next one is the 30th. We have got content patches every single month without fail since October.

-Downtime is a rarity, so much that when it does happen you think WTF? rather than oh no surprise there. For example, the downtime yesterday for 2 hours was WTF? All told GW2 has had less than 25 hours (ballpark) of down time in 7 months.

-When patches roll out there's no downtime for that. Just download the patch and you should be able to reconnect straight away.

-The Trading Post (AH) is global so there's no lack of well anything really if you want to buy it.

-You can buy and sell on the TP from anywhere in the world at any time. You just have to pick up your items/coin at a specific NPC.

-You can waypoint around the world through double clicks of the waypoints, you don't have to wait around for 1-8 min to get anywhere. As a whole, GW2 does not waste your time.

-Open your inventory, click the cogwheel in the top right corner, click deposit and it puts all crafting materials into a specific storage in your bank. This saves you an unbelievable amount of space. Compacting is handy as well.

-You should always be dodging in combat too, if you don't dodge you will be eating dirt quite often.

-Don't be afraid to change up your weapons or build for the hell of it.

-No one can save your ass, no one is going to be sitting there with a massive heal for you. YOU are the only person who can make sure you stay alive. Yeah you might get a small HoT or someone might block a projectile, but no one will bring you back from the brink of death other than your 6 (Heal) skill.

-Also, know that you don't have to worry about falling behind if you stop playing for a week or something. There will not be another gear tier introduced this year with certainty. You don't have to make it a job.

oktarb

My advice for the new players coming this weekend.

In your first 'zone' try and get 100% completion of the map. This involves mini battles, exploring, getting skill points and climbing vistas. It gives you a great feel for the basics of the game and how its laid out. You'll get to know the zones and when you go to a new area it will seems fresh and unexplored, you'll relish the virgin landscape before you.

Their are scouts in every zone with a telescope/spyglass icon. Listen to their stories as the show you the map. Adds a ton of flavor and its not meaningless quest text.

Don't worry about gear. Just screwing around you'll get above average gear. Don't fidget because you have blue gear instead of yellow. The increase is marginal. Once you hit 80 you can go crazy min/maxing if you want. Crafting to you level can be a great way to stay geared.

Give the controller setups a whirl once you get the basics down. using a xbox controller for me was tough for about 2-3 hours but then it clicked. I noticed I spent way more time looking at the graphics than buttons.

Ask for help. A lot of people in the gaf guild are very helpful and sometimes bored. If they come 'down to your level' to help the game adjusts them so they aren't walking gods. They're going to be 10-20% more powerful than you but you guys cans till easily tromp around and you don't feel pathetic.

Definitely do not focus on "filling up a heart and moving to the next one." Everything gets you XP- vistas, skill challenges, Points of Interest, gathering, just exploring and unlocking waypoints and area names. If you find yourself getting bored with something, just move on- all your progress in that heart is saved. Oftentimes you'll find an event will take you into the zone of a heart and fill it in for you.

Yeah I hit 70 by cooking last night. and I had a blast doing it.

oktarb

I realize that player housing is a ways off but I really hope they steal Skyrim's mannequins. Imagine being able to walk around you house and see all the armor sets you've created and then being able to test out new combinations on an empty mannequin if you like. Of course weapons racks and a trophy room would be awesome. Mounted heads, teeth and other collections from war.

Hell even dungeon badges could be displayed. Just one giant bad ass rune not all 200 you have.

Maybe your bank account, money you deposited could be represented by piles of gold and jewel laden chest. So say you have 10 gold in your bank deposit. A small pile of gold coins is displayed on a table. Say you have 500 gold - now there are chests overflowing with gold and jewels.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Maybe your bank account, money you deposited could be represented by piles of gold and jewel laden chest. So say you have 10 gold in your bank deposit. A small pile of gold coins is displayed on a table. Say you have 500 gold - now there are chests overflowing with gold and jewels.

I want a Scrooge McDuck vault!

oktarb

Heh maybe if they had the same system for the Guild Hall bank we could have one. Gold Swimming Guild Event this Saturday!

jersoc

My theory is that it's programmed to adjust the frequency either based on the concurrent number of people in the zone. So it will vary by time and by day (for example there's a lot more people in certain starter zones on days when that general area comes up on the daily).

this is how it does works for some events. you can tell if you wander into a place and an event suddenly starts. some are timed, some aren't and some you gotta start with an npc

Ashodin

this is how it does works for some events. you can tell if you wander into a place and an event suddenly starts. some are timed, some aren't and some you gotta start with an npc

Yep. I definitely get the sense that an event will "trigger" once it detects enough people nearby (which it can do even down to just one player).

Katoki

At first I thought I could attend a Thursday event for once since class was cancelled... but I ended up having to switch Friday to Thursday for work due to a Board of Reagents meeting that's going to empty out our office. Next time, again.

Note- about the achievements, completing any category, plus completing the daily itself (any 5 categories of 9) gets you a nice big chunk of XP on that character. So it's quite a good thing you see them up there at level 1! :)

Explore! Lots of what makes the game crate is beneath the surface. If you look at something and think, "I wonder if I can get there," not only is the answer very frequently yes, but you'll find plenty of hidden stuff that way too.

If you're interested in joining the guild, let me know! It's always fun to get a party together to run about the world leveling. Because of downscaling there's a huge variety of options as to where you can go as a party.

Definitely would love a guild invite and all of the information you guy have provided is amazing! Thank you. Name is Noobleton on GAF US server

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Occupy Orr Begins in roughly 3 hours!

Feel free to head right for the Fort Trinity waypoint in Straits at 7:30PM EDT.

If you've never been to Orr before, I'll be making a run down there south from LA to get the WPs needed!

We'll be gathering at our tavern (the Crow's Nest), east of the Trader's Forum (you need to go up some scaffolding) for some time beforehand.

See you all there!
Definitely would love a guild invite and all of the information you guy have provided is amazing! Thank you. Name is Noobleton on GAF US server
Invited!

Unfortunately we're doing a big guild event tonight that needs a minimum level character around 70, but we've been doing plenty of open world leveling the past few days and I'm sure over the weekend.

If you've never been to Orr before, I'll be making a run down there south from LA to get the WPs needed!

We'll be gathering at our tavern (the Crow's Nest), east of the Trader's Forum (you need to go up some scaffolding) for some time beforehand.

See you all there!

Invited!

Unfortunately we're doing a big guild event tonight that needs a minimum level character around 70, but we've been doing plenty of open world leveling the past few days and I'm sure over the weekend.

Very cool! I look forward to playing with everyone.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion

See you all there!

Invited!

I might join! I haven't played in a while. Bring out ol' Thrill Cosby for some old fashioned Orr squashing.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
I've been thinking about updating my gear. How much is Orr gear?

Still wondering if I wanna get racial tier 3 or finish off my Orr set.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Orr gear is 42k karma per piece (Karma is actually pretty easy to come by these days though). One thing to note is that the T3 cultural armor, you're basically just paying for the skin- they're Rare tier, rather than exotic, so you'd want to transmute them onto something with the stats you want. All the Orr stuff is exotic.

Katoki

So we're against SoS and CD again when the reset comes on Friday. We need better incentives to go in there because I like watching people explode when I roam but that gets old quick.

Orr is at 70 starting? Awesome I will see where you are all at in the occupation once I get home and can get online. I actually might be able to participate in a guild activity!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
What about lore? Does it matter? Is it cool?
Hell yeah- just, IMO, not as much of the aspects in the Personal Story until the last bit. But the lore of the world, the stuff scouts have to say, inscriptions, graves, tie-ins to GW1, event chains that tell a self-contained story, etc. are all pretty awesome. I've come to enjoy all the races a lot more than I thought I would as a result of just checking out the lore in their part of the world. The plot of the personal story just generally seems to blow, in my opinion.

thetrin

Orr gear is 42k karma per piece (Karma is actually pretty easy to come by these days though). One thing to note is that the T3 cultural armor, you're basically just paying for the skin- they're Rare tier, rather than exotic, so you'd want to transmute them onto something with the stats you want. All the Orr stuff is exotic.

Might as well stick to getting Orr shit then!

Am I the only one who thinks the game is kind of slow at the beginning? Events never seem to start that often whenever I'm in a starting zone.

Well, that is the thing. That is the anti-themepark element, even though it has lots of themepark stuff in place.

The developers wanted to evoke players sense of exploring. You are unchained, go explore, go off the beaten path, and you will be rewarded for stumping upon a secret cave with a boss monster at the end. or going through the waterfall to see a jumping puzzle, or exploring a nearby lake to find a rich harvesting resource.

Whatever you fancy, the game aims for you to explore, not to show you flashing lights like the game is on rails. Soak on it, and realize it's brilliance.

Sure, the game demands something of you, and if you hate being curious, then this is not the game. It's hard to get used to. Particularly in the beginning. Lots of stigmatization due to gamers being fed instant gratification everywhere.

Even so this game is not a massive time-sink. It's actually quite brilliant. Remember to explore other zones. Get to Lions Arch, and take the portals to the other cities. go to the starting areas and explore.

Retro

is there a quick way to get super adventure skins? im just running through these zones like a fool. :(

There's some on the trading post, otherwise just run all the zones repeatedly on different alts to get baubles and bubbles out of the chests (which have a chance to drop the skins as well).

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Our Orr event was a smashing success! That was certainly the first time I've completed every major Meta event from Fort Trinity to the Gates of Arah! Great turnout and really solid coordination from all teams for Balthazar. I made well over 2g, not counting the two exotics and 3 rares I found (or the 4 rares from the first four temples)!

Delryk

Our Orr event was a smashing success! That was certainly the first time I've completed every major Meta event from Fort Trinity to the Gates of Arah! Great turnout and really solid coordination from all teams for Balthazar. I made well over 2g, not counting the two exotics and 3 rares I found (or the 4 rares from the first four temples)!

Saw you guys owning pretty much everything last night. Looked pretty fun :) Im not in the GAF guild only because my brother and friends play and unfortunately likes to do thwir own thing. Waiting for them to stop playing to join you guys. Lol.

Thanks for taking over the zone with the karma merchant. Got myself the Balthazar armor set :)

Retro

Saw you guys owning pretty much everything last night. Looked pretty fun :) Im not in the GAF guild only because my brother and friends play and unfortunately likes to do thwir own thing. Waiting for them to stop playing to join you guys. Lol.

Thanks for taking over the zone with the karma merchant. Got myself the Balthazar armor set :)

You can belong to multiple guilds at once, you know.

Delryk

You picked a good one to come back with. Whisper Ashodin, Hawkian, Gojira, Professor Retro, Ferny or Katoki for an invite to GAFGuild.

How does multiple guild work exactly? You just choose the one you want to represent on the fly? Guess i'll go read about it!

Yep. Havent played much MMOs since EQ2's early days. :) tried a few trials here and there but nothing really excited me until this game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom