• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mithos

Gold Member
So I tested this game during the free trial period, and HOT DAMN the engine is good.

3200x1800 all settings maxed and supersampling on, and still 50-60fps. Dropped when there were 20+ people killing Behemoth in the swamp but other then that OMG.

Might actually pick it up soon so I can play when I feel. Was different in a positive way.

Katoki

So I tested this game during the free trial period, and HOT DAMN the engine is good.

3200x1800 all settings maxed and supersampling on, and still 50-60fps. Dropped when there were 20+ people killing Behemoth in the swamp but other then that OMG.

Might actually pick it up soon so I can play when I feel. Was different in a positive way.

What kind of rig you running? Then again, it's normal to down to ~20 FPS during map meta events and in WvW on a more modern set up I guess. Supersampling makes my card run hotter but it's so much nicer with it.

Mithos

Gold Member
What kind of rig you running? Then again, it's normal to down to ~20 FPS during map meta events and in WvW on a more modern set up I guess. Supersampling makes my card run hotter but it's so much nicer with it.

Only a i7 @ 3.5Ghz, 6GB ram, 660Ti 2GB.

And yeah I think ~20fps sounds about right for the Behemoth in swamp, but there were so many more people at this one then the other events. ;P
At the Boar, Cave-troll, Wasp, Oak, it was 50-60fps even at the settings I had, CRAZY IMO.

Katoki

And yeah I think ~20fps sounds about right for the Behemoth in swamp, but there were so many more people at this one then the other events. ;P
At the Boar, Cave-troll, Wasp, Oak, it was 50-60fps even at the settings I had, CRAZY IMO.

Shadow Behemoth is a zone event whereas the champions mobs are "group events." You can tell by the status text up at the top right of the screen since it also has this little faded design for the text's background. The regular/group events just have this "do this" type of thing pop out at you.

Welcome aboard if you do pick up the game. It's on sale right now but just don't get the digital deluxe edition since the value of it is lacking.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah I said in guild after that happened that if an officer is drawn again for the next lotto we will re-roll until it's a normal member.

Nah, Hawkian and Ash would both be ineligible for awhile anyway. I mean it's up to you but I don't actually think it's a conspiracy.

Mxrz

Picked up the game finally to play with friends on stormbluff. I saw a few gaffer's running around this weekend. Can I sneak into gaf too?

Game's a lot better than I expected it to be after all the changes from the first one. Combat is still a wtf12345wtf but its fun.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Nah, Hawkian and Ash would both be ineligible for awhile anyway. I mean it's up to you but I don't actually think it's a conspiracy.
I'm starting to suspect conspiracy myself!
Picked up the game finally to play with friends on stormbluff. I saw a few gaffer's running around this weekend. Can I sneak into gaf too?

Game's a lot better than I expected it to be after all the changes from the first one. Combat is still a wtf12345wtf but its fun.
Yay more GAF!

Post a character or account name here and the first available officer will get you in. Your friends are welcome as well if they lack a guild, btw.

Mxrz

I'm starting to suspect conspiracy myself!

Yay more GAF!

Post a character or account name here and the first available officer will get you in. Your friends are welcome as well if they lack a guild, btw.

Thanks - Maxite.

I'll keep an eye out for officers in the OP, too.

Complistic

You don't need to keep the officers out. You guys obviously wouldn't rig it. Ash will probably end up donating half of it back to the guild anyway lol.

grats.

Retro

- Unfortunately, frame rate issues are always going to happen regardless of the hardware whenever you have a ton of people doing a massive event. It's just one of those things that comes with playing an MMO with a ton of people, but 20+ is still pretty good (a lot of people experience a slideshow).

- As others have said, the game is 30% off until the 28th. Here's the link; https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/sale

Grab the normal version. Even a huge GW2 whore like myself (who sprang for the $150 CE) can't honestly recommend the Digital Deluxe. There's just not enough worth the extra $20. Spring for gems instead.

You get used to the small action bar, as eventually you'll have more important things to worry about than which button you're pressing (and by then, hopefully, you'll have the muscle memory / instinct to take over). Watching for enemy attack animations, dodging, positioning, reviving, environmental weapons, cross-profession combos, traps, adds... you'll be glad you're not juggling 40 buttons before long.

Is this game good yet?

Nah, I cancelled my subscription months ago and never looked back.

Thanks - Maxite.

Invite sent, check your guild tab (default: g) to accept and represent. Welcome to GAFGuild. Lots of useful info in the OP (despite being butchered by a certain mod), including our Mumble info which will be phenomenally useful. Talking is not required but for some of the more intense activities (Bounties, Challenges, Jumping Puzzle events, Orr Invasions and the like) really need everyone at least listening for info.

You don't need to keep the officers out. You guys obviously wouldn't rig it. Ash will probably end up donating half of it back to the guild anyway lol.

grats.

I've always said, if I ever happen to be drawn, I'd just put it back into the guild. That's why I usually donate so much more than a single ticket's worth anyways, to increase the pot to get peoples' attention, to further increase the pot and benefit the guild as a whole.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is this game good yet?
Welcome back man, and congrats again :)

You missed everything fun, the game sucks now
There is no subscription?
There is no subscription.

$40 gets you the game for life. There have been free content updates at least once per month since release, too.

grats.
If he only puts half of it back in, he will only be proving himself to be half the co-leader that am I!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I know - I was confused by the statement. Must have been sarcasm lost on me.
Oh, yeah... it's just sort of a running joke for people to threaten/claim that they're unsubscribing as a result of flaws or decisions by the developer- as one would do with other MMOs of this scale and level of support, all of which have mandated subscription fees (or at least started out that way). Since there's no subscription fee, that avenue of protest isn't available to those who might want to act on their complaints. Although there have been cases of people requesting and obtaining full refunds even months after release.

On a personal side note, I have no respect for someone seeking such a refund after dozens or hundreds of hours after purchase, just because you dislike a decision that occurred after that point. Refunds are meant to insulate consumers against buyer's remorse, giving them a way out if they find the product defective, non-functional or not to their liking upon trying it out for a grace period. They are not meant to zero out your expense when you get bored or want the developers to focus on other things.

Retro

I know - I was confused by the statement. Must have been sarcasm lost on me.

Sorry, sort of an in-joke; anytime something is bugged, broken, late or otherwise found wanting, "I'm cancelling my sub" is usually the go-to comment. As others have said, there is no subscription.

Ah. I figured it was a geniune question.

I tend to skip PRetro's posts because it's all thinly veiled Anet PR anyways.

Fixed that for ya.

oktarb

Been an odd week in GW2 for me, not in a bad way just different. For the first time in an MMO I'm doing 'end-game-content'. I understand what "pre-MAW is up." means and I went on several of these teleport, bash, return trips. The loot is decent but I have yet to get a single exotic. In fact I crafted all my own exotics and nothing has come close to replacing them, that's truly odd for me in an MMO. Crafting that's good, shut up.

We did the guild rush thingy which nets me yet another currently. Another added to my pile of 'I don't have enough yet for anything good.' It was fun, especially the pass the crab final encounter. Turned out easier than anyone expected but I loved hearing everyone talk strategy. I'm not a fan of voice in my MMOs but I did find that at least listening in on the talkers was helpful and entertaining.

Ran a couple dungeons and even a fractal, so my knowledge slowly increases. Best advice for new people to these things: Hang back ten paces, follow everyone and don't attack anything not already being attacked. Get on mumble. Let them know you know nothing.

I wish waypoints where account bound in some fashion that made sense. Like if you hit 80 all the WP of other characters you have that are also 80 are shared. Too often I want to play another class but they don't have 1/10 the WPs unlocked that my main does. This creates either a lot of time where I have to run a toon around or a bunch of toons that get ignored. I don't see this as game breaking in anyway, you still have to do the other 95% of the things for full exploration.

Black Lion Chests are annoying me. I shouldn't be bitching since i recently got a molten skin and an Endless Potion but I unlocked another 20 yesterday and got a whole slew of buffs, one shot bank access and crap like that. Maybe other people find them more useful than I but I rarely ever pop a booster. I have like 25+ of each type. Wish I could put them in the Mystic Toilet for something else.

Advice for new people (again): good portion of this game is looks based. meaning gear is easy to get and you can have very decent gear very easily but everything can have different looks. Before salvaging or selling a new piece of gear right click it and preview it. You may really like how a lower gear pos looks. You can then transmute it onto a higher level piece of gear that looks like crap. I didn't start doing this until recently. Downside is you're bank will fill up with more 'looks good' items.

I wish waypoints where account bound in some fashion that made sense. Like if you hit 80 all the WP of other characters you have that are also 80 are shared. Too often I want to play another class but they don't have 1/10 the WPs unlocked that my main does. This creates either a lot of time where I have to run a toon around or a bunch of toons that get ignored. I don't see this as game breaking in anyway, you still have to do the other 95% of the things for full exploration.
Oh god yes.
They need to account-wide these kind of things.
Same with 100% map exploration. I don't want to redo it with alts.

They should make it so when alts reaches 80, everything is 100% shared.
(WPs, Map, Karma, Skill points, etc.)

Mithos

Gold Member
- Unfortunately, frame rate issues are always going to happen regardless of the hardware whenever you have a ton of people doing a massive event. It's just one of those things that comes with playing an MMO with a ton of people, but 20+ is still pretty good (a lot of people experience a slideshow).

When It comes to MMOS I'm a PRO at having issues, TERA, psst, still can't play it even at 1080p at lowest settings, still randomly freezes (fps goes to 0 and freeze), Secret World performance are dropping like a stone, played 1080p mid/high/ultra mix settings at ~60fps the month I started playing, same settings now and I have 10-20fps, something have changed in the games engine. Lineage 2 is pretty much unplayable in their newest engine modification (Goddess of Destruction and beyond). Aion is the same very poor performance.

So being able to pull of 50-60fps in Guild Wars 2 at maxed out settings incl supersample option in-game and run it @ 3200x1800 is insanely good. Now scaling back to 1920x1080 instead of 3200x1800 should improve performance even more. =)

- As others have said, the game is 30% off until the 28th. Here's the link; https://buy.guildwars2.com/en/sale

Yes I've heard many many say this in the thread will absolutely go for the standard/normal edition if/when I pick it up.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
oktarb, I can feel Garg slowly becoming pro! :D

You brought up a lot of interesting points actually, I wanted to give you some info on just a couple things.
The loot is decent but I have yet to get a single exotic. In fact I crafted all my own exotics and nothing has come close to replacing them
Nothing will replace them- every exotic in the game at a given level (say, all level 80 exotics) have the same total stat pool. When it comes to accessories, there are Ascended pieces to replace exotics, but they're a longer-term goal to work toward.

The draw of going to those big world events for the loot isn't to "gear up," or replace something you have equipped, but to get (at the very least) a rare which you can sell or salvage for globs of ectoplasm, which are highly desirable.

Quick tips: if you have a Black Lion Salvage Kit (or are willing to spend $ on one), always use it when salvaging rares or exotics. Do NOT buy one by converting gold to gems, you will murder your profit.

Otherwise, you can sell the ones on the TP that sell for the most, and salvage the rest with a Master/Mystic Salvage Kit. You can of course then sell the sigils/runes and ectos if you need the money, or stockpile the ectos.

Somebody in-game yesterday (I can't remember who, sorry!!!) mentioned that it's a good idea to sell rare weapons and salvage armors- this seems to be pretty good advice in general.
We did the guild rush thingy which nets me yet another currently. Another added to my pile of 'I don't have enough yet for anything good.
With the addition of Challenges, you want to make sure that you get your commendations once per week by:
-Being a part of a single Bounty kill
-Completing a Rush obstacle course
-Participating in a Challenge

This will net you 5 commendations per week. For commendations, there are unique guild weapons available, other useful items such as banners, and Ascended accessories for 12.
Black Lion Chests are annoying me. I shouldn't be bitching since i recently got a molten skin and an Endless Potion but I unlocked another 20 yesterday and got a whole slew of buffs, one shot bank access and crap like that. Maybe other people find them more useful than I but I rarely ever pop a booster. I have like 25+ of each type. Wish I could put them in the Mystic Toilet for something else.
You have correctly identified that you shouldn't be complaining. You have some of the best RNG luck with BLCs of anyone I've ever heard of. Just stop buying keys ;P

It's worth noting that ArenaNet has added temporary recipes for the mystic forge that did call for boosters, like the Mad King Chest. So hopefully they'll have some utility for something in the future. I never remember to use them either.

Oh god yes.
They need to account-wide these kind of things.
Same with 100% map exploration. I don't want to redo it with alts.

They should make it so when alts reaches 80, everything is 100% shared.
(WPs, Map, Karma, Skill points, etc.)
I find it really interesting whenever this point gets brought up, because it's the kind of thing that would obviously be purely beneficial to the individual payer, but will never, ever happen. Out of curiosity, are there other games that do this (unlock everything for subsequent alts after you get one character to 80)?

Of course you want your world exploration made account-wide; so do I. So should any individual when asked. But ArenaNet didn't design the implementation to be mean to me and you. The game world is populated not by a static group of individuals cycling through their alts, but by tens of thousands of individuals at various stages of character and account development scattered across the world. The infrastructure requires you to go get waypoints on each of your characters because doing so means that you will be in that zone. You'll be populating it for the other people playing there. They don't care why you're there, nor do the Dynamic Events that count on player presence in the area to advance or change state.

It's a personal player benefit vs. quality of world tradeoff and the vast majority of games rely on the technique of treating an alt truly like a new character. The fact that there are instant-travel waypoints at all (alongside aspects like being able to fully level characters through crafting with your account's wealth) are huge conceits over a more traditional multiplayer RPG model.

In short, much as I'd love to see my world map suddenly filled in for all my characters, it's not gonna happen.

Katoki

Found the WvW ranks last night. I find it odd that recruit comes in fourth rather than first but that's the way I look at it. In fact, invader, assaulter, and raider look higher ranked/more appealing to me than recruit, scout, and maybe soldier. Then everything after that is "different" than what we're used to.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/WXP

Ashodin

Honestly, you should be able to turn boosters into the mystic forge for more keys.

Make it akin to like Karma chests - you can keep recycling karma into chests, but eventually you will run out. Same deal with boosters. Makes it so there's an initial buy in, but you can keep regurgitating keys until you run out, then purchase more if you'd like.

Granted, some of the chests already contain keys, but it doesn't happen nearly at enough pace to warrant just buying more keys.

Also

TOMORROW IS ONE WEEK UNTIL PATCH OH SHIIIIIIIIIIII

Arksy

I hate to say it, but GW2 is dead. It has no subscribers. Zero. None. Zip. Even games like SW:TOR, EVERQUEST II and Warhammer Online have SOME subscribers.

I'd steer cleer if I were you, unless you want to play a game with no subscribers.

Katoki

They were talking about throwing 3 boosters + 4 slot bag into the forge last night to get a bag of boosters back for the mystic forge use daily. I don't recall which boosters it was or if it mattered, but looking into that might be useful. I think Neko and/or Elazulizard were the ones telling us about it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I hate to say it, but GW2 is dead. It has no subscribers. Zero. None. Zip. Even games like SW:TOR, EVERQUEST II and Warhammer Online have SOME subscribers.

I'd steer cleer if I were you, unless you want to play a game with no subscribers.
8.2 repeating/10

Can't argue with the truth

Ashodin

They were talking about throwing 3 boosters + 4 slot bag into the forge last night to get a bag of boosters back for the mystic forge use daily. I don't recall which boosters it was or if it mattered, but looking into that might be useful. I think Neko and/or Elazulizard were the ones telling us about it.

wha? you're telling me I could reroll all my boosters into MF, XP, and Karma?

oktarb

In short, much as I'd love to see my world map suddenly filled in for all my characters, it's not gonna happen.

Thanks for the reply here. I kinda figured my weapons might be near maxed out, except for brutally hard Legendaries. I guess maybe a middle ground weapon/armor set is what I'm looking for. Something between Exotics and legendaries.

On a side note: Are there class specific skins? Like my Guardian has shoulders from level 1. I keep those on pretty much all the time. Anything else like that?

Great point on zone balance and unlocking WP. never really thought of it that way but still its mildly crushing when you're on your alt and a shout out goes out for a dungeon or guild event and you can't join cause you never went to that area. I dread bringing up WoW but I did love that a Warlock could summon another layer via ritual. then they went too far and made everything que-able.

oktarb

wha? you're telling me I could reroll all my boosters into MF, XP, and Karma?

Booster Multipack (Contains boosts to increase karma gain by 50%, experience gained by killing enemies by 50%, and chance to find magic items by 50%. All boosts last one hour. Use them all at once or each one individually!)

Mystic Forge ingredients
1 Experience Booster
1 Karma Booster
1 Magic Find Booster
1 Leather Bag

Those are the best optimized numbers I've seen for GW2, which I've seen more often criticized for poor optimization. With an i5 @ 4.2Ghz and an HD7950 3GB (roughly equivalent GPU to 660Ti), I have to turn off supersampling to have consistent 60fps plus V-sync in the open world. I wish I can have supersampling, but that isn't meant to be for now.

Edit: I've been inspired to overclock my GPU. Went from an 850Mhz stock clock to 925Mhz baby overclock. Lion's Arch is now 45fps in front of the mystic forge, whoo! Too bad my card appears to be voltage-locked otherwise I would've aimed for that magical 1000Mhz.

Edit: Aww, it failed the stress test. Back to lowly 850Mhz :(

Complistic

super greatsword skin spiked to about 60 gold. Sold mine. Will probably buy it again once it drops back down to around 30.

edit: and it's already fallen to around 50. I've chosen wisely.

nataku

Those are the best optimized numbers I've seen for GW2, which I've seen more often criticized for poor optimization. With an i5 @ 4.2Ghz and an HD7950 3GB (roughly equivalent GPU to 660Ti), I have to turn off supersampling to have consistent 60fps plus V-sync in the open world. I wish I can have supersampling, but that isn't meant to be for now.

Edit: I've been inspired to overclock my GPU. Went from an 850Mhz stock clock to 925Mhz baby overclock. Lion's Arch is now 45fps in front of the mystic forge, whoo! Too bad my card appears to be voltage-locked otherwise I would've aimed for that magical 1000Mhz.

Edit: Aww, it failed the stress test. Back to lowly 850Mhz :(

What i5 do you have?

I really need to OC my 2500K but I really don't want to spend all day testing for stability.

Lunar15

I propose a guild-sponsored fractal boot camp for those who are less acquainted with/curious about fractal rules and AR mechanics.

We can also bring lower level people up through the ranks if they're worried about being too low. I'd hate for people to miss out on content because they don't think enough people run lower level fractals or they don't feel comfortable with them.

TrounceX

What i5 do you have?

I really need to OC my 2500K but I really don't want to spend all day testing for stability.

No need for that unless you're going to the bleeding edge.

bclock = 100
Mutliplier = 43
vcore = 1.25

Nearly every Sandy Bridge K cpu will be stable at those settings. Some will even go up to 4.5-4.6Ghz at that voltage, so running Intel Burn Test a few times to check stability is probably worth it. And you can go all the way up to 1.35 volts without worrying too much. I've been running 1.35/4.8Ghz for 2 years now with no issues.

You'll probably net 3-5 fps during world bosses and WvW. It's definitely worth it!

xeris

I propose a guild-sponsored fractal boot camp for those who are less acquainted with/curious about fractal rules and AR mechanics.

We can also bring lower level people up through the ranks if they're worried about being too low. I'd hate for people to miss out on content because they don't think enough people run lower level fractals or they don't feel comfortable with them.

I'm in depending on date, time, etc. Honestly I prefer to run the lower level fractals anyway.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Sounds like a plan, I must imagine a lot of guildies would like to try it out. Fractals are a lot of fun and once you get to level 10+, a great way to get ascended rings for all your characters.

How does Sunday work?
in game lfg, believe.
I'm thinking no way it's ready yet. That would be awesome though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom