• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Logged in this morning after a week away, looks like game is pretty good now.

Bought myself a Molten Mining Pick (emptied my bank to do it but it was worth it. Just under 24gold)

Time to farm all the things again.

See you all in game later tonight!

Guild challenge missions still bug out from time to time.

I ended up getting the one in Iron Marches where you have to destroy 5 crystals at the same time (or in 30 seconds they'll start to respawn), but none of them showed up.

Retro

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Alright guys you convinced me. I'll give this game a second go. Please tell me I won't be wasting my time by building a necro ? Only class that interests me...
Also looking forward to joining the GAFguild if you'll have me :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
New Dungeon, Yay!
It's Temporary.. Boo!

Custom PvP arenas and spectator mode.
New Guilds missions / rewards.
New Gem Store Items, including a "sonic tunneling tool" that allows players to travel underground.
Four new weapon skins in the gem store, two of which are weapons belonging to our buddies Rox and Braham.

Siege equipment with guild logo.
"Back banners" that display guilds logo.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2013/04/23/flameseeker-chronicles-aprils-guild-wars-2-patch-brings-custom/
Oooh what the hell on the new dungeon going away? Bah!

Guess it'll be time to play the shit out of it for the month of May.

Hell yes on the Rox/Braham skins, must have. What the hell is the sonic tunneling tool? :p
Alright guys you convinced me. I'll give this game a second go. Please tell me I won't be wasting my time by building a necro ? Only class that interests me...
Course! Post a character or account name and someone will get you added to the roster asap.

Retro

Necro is hit or miss, some people really like it, some people don't care for it. It used to be pretty broken, but it's been getting improved pretty steadily, though I think most agree it's not quite 'there' yet.

Try not to paint yourself into a specific role before you try other professions. Some people started off saying "Oh, I'm going Elementalist" or 'Oh yeah, I always play Rangers" and ended up falling in love with an alt and making that their main. My wife had no idea she was going to main a Mesmer before launch, for example. Since each profession plays differently, it's something you have to at least see (by encountering others in the world) but probably should try.

Seriously, try other stuff. You might really like something you never tried before. Folks are always saying "I wish I had tried Profession X earlier" or "Holy crap, I never thought I'd have so much fun with Profession Y".

hythloday

You down with S.T.T.?

Seriously what the hell is that. "UNDERGROUND MOUNTS, I QUIT THE GAME."

How much do we wanna bet the Quaggan guild rush is at least partially underwater?

I propose a guild-sponsored fractal boot camp for those who are less acquainted with/curious about fractal rules and AR mechanics.

We can also bring lower level people up through the ranks if they're worried about being too low. I'd hate for people to miss out on content because they don't think enough people run lower level fractals or they don't feel comfortable with them.

Totally awesome idea.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As living story content, the dungeon will be available only for a set amount of time. Because of that, it can have pretty neat rewards -- "really cool ones" that "you'll want to come back for." There's no need to run the dungeon multiple times to get the whole story, but folks who do go in multiple times over the course of its presence in the world will find that it changes over time. There's variety in some of the things that happen and combinations of enemies in order to give players the feeling that they're not just ransacking the same facility over and over. To reinforce that, the entrances and exits to the dungeon will be moving throughout the cycle.
Woah, wat

edit: Snuck in a quick aside about new WXP upgrades; arrow cart mastery and guard killer expanded I guess

New Guild Rush where you're Quaggans wooooot.

Gonna go with holy shit re: this thing's appearance-
xheader-1366580086.jpg.pagespeed.ic.TnNGM7h8-a.jpg

Happy, I play with Necros that are really awesome to have in a party, don't let perception dissuade you from trying the class you want.

Mxrz

I did WvW with a bro for the first time. Is stormbluff always so out numbered? It was basically 4 us doing hit-n-runs on their map, and running from a horde of SoS or whatever.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Course! Post a character or account name and someone will get you added to the roster asap.

Thanks, will do when I get home.

Necro is hit or miss, some people really like it, some people don't care for it. It used to be pretty broken, but it's been getting improved pretty steadily, though I think most agree it's not quite 'there' yet.

Try not to paint yourself into a specific role before you try other professions. Some people started off saying "Oh, I'm going Elementalist" or 'Oh yeah, I always play Rangers" and ended up falling in love with an alt and making that their main. My wife had no idea she was going to main a Mesmer before launch, for example. Since each profession plays differently, it's something you have to at least see (by encountering others in the world) but probably should try.

Seriously, try other stuff. You might really like something you never tried before. Folks are always saying "I wish I had tried Profession X earlier" or "Holy crap, I never thought I'd have so much fun with Profession Y".

I agree, I tried them to an extent a while back, only to level 10-15. The necro jived with me the most and then I made the mistake of looking online to see where they were pvp,wvw and endgame wise..... big mistake.

Now I have more time and if you say they have improved at least a bit, then I am all in.

Retro

Oooh what the hell on the new dungeon going away? Bah!

Guess it'll be time to play the shit out of it for the month of May.

From the sound of things, it's story mode only (no explorable), won't have a unique token, and only exists to wrap up the Flame and Frost story (The dungeon is a Molten Alliance weapon facility). It's by the same folks who did the Halloween and Wintersday instances, so not a full fledged dungeon.

This is sort of like their one-time Karka event, but done right. Everyone gets to see it, and (probably) get a unique reward for it (article says "really cool ones" that "you'll want to come back for."), but it's not over in an afternoon so there's no rush. But when it's gone, it's gone; people can look back at screenshots or unique items and say "Oh yeah, back in the day, you should have been here for that, it was so cool." In the same way people will eventually see the Queen Karka in Southsun and wonder what the hell that's all about.

I agree, I tried them to an extent a while back, only to level 10-15. The necro jived with me the most and then I made the mistake of looking online to see where they were pvp,wvw and endgame wise..... big mistake.

Now I have more time and if you say they have improved at least a bit, then I am all in.

It depends on how long 'a while back' is, but they've been getting plenty of updates with each patch. Also, as far as PVP/WvW/Endgame is concerned, GAF isn't the usual elitist mega-guild. Play what you want, nobody will ever say "We're only taking profession X" or "Kick him, he's playing profession Y". In the rare instance we've actually seen that, we are quick to curb it.

So if that's a concern, don't worry. Play what you like. People on official forums are usually assholes anyways.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
From the sound of things, it's story mode only (no explorable), won't have a unique token, and only exists to wrap up the Flame and Frost story (The dungeon is a Molten Alliance weapon facility). It's by the same folks who did the Halloween and Wintersday instances, so not a full fledged dungeon.

This is sort of like their one-time Karka event, but done right. Everyone gets to see it, and (probably) get a unique reward for it (article says "really cool ones" that "you'll want to come back for."), but it's not over in an afternoon so there's no rush. But when it's gone, it's gone; people can look back at screenshots or unique items and say "Oh yeah, back in the day, you should have been here for that, it was so cool." In the same way people will eventually see the Queen Karka in Southsun and wonder what the hell that's all about.

It depends on how long 'a while back' is, but they've been getting plenty of updates with each patch. Also, as far as PVP/WvW/Endgame is concerned, GAF isn't the usual elitist mega-guild. Play what you want, nobody will ever say "We're only taking profession X" or "Kick him, he's playing profession Y". In the rare instance we've actually seen that, we are quick to curb it.

So if that's a concern, don't worry. Play what you like. People on official forums are usually assholes anyways.

You had me at "Hi"

Retro

I wonder if when they get South Sun "Colonized" they will set up some kind of museum and move the Karka Queen into it. How cool would that be, to see this epic monster we fought on display where people can see it and wonder what it was all about?

You had me at "Hi"

Heh, did I go a little overboard? PRetro and all that. I actually think Necromancers need to be played more, since they're godly at boon removal which is a real problem for us on a particular Guild Bounty. To the point where we're not sure if we just suck (likely, it is GAF, after all) or he's bugged.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I've seen articles position it as either having no story or no explorable mode; just one "mode" either way, but apparently it has an element of change if you go back and run it multiple times. No word on a token in either direction as far as I can tell.
This is sort of like their one-time Karka event, but done right. Everyone gets to see it, and (probably) get a unique reward for it (article says "really cool ones" that "you'll want to come back for."), but it's not over in an afternoon so there's no rush.
I don't think that's a really solid comparison. It's neither one-time nor scheduled at all, it's instanced, and as such doesn't take place in the open world nor will the area it takes place in be accessible at all once the content is removed from the game, and of course can only be experienced by a group of 5 rather than a huge crowd. It sounds to me much more like the Braham and Rox instances, in that they're story-driven and temporary additions for a single party and can be accessed at any time during the period they're available.

I've said it before, I fully expect them to hold more "one-time" or "multi-time" events that you need to "be there" for, drawing from all the data they got during the Karka event to make the experience more technically solid. Doesn't sound like this will involve anything of that nature though.
But when it's gone, it's gone; people can look back at screenshots or unique items and say "Oh yeah, back in the day, you should have been here for that, it was so cool." In the same way people will eventually see the Queen Karka in Southsun and wonder what the hell that's all about.
They're definitely committed to that concept. I'm not sure what you mean about the Karka though?

Complistic

Necro is by far my favorite, but don't be afraid to try a few others as well if it doesn't click for you. Just because, lets say , you didn't like warrior in another mmo, doesn't mean it won't be your favorite class in gw2.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I wonder if when they get South Sun "Colonized" they will set up some kind of museum and move the Karka Queen into it. How cool would that be, to see this epic monster we fought on display where people can see it and wonder what it was all about?
Oh you mean the Ancient Karka, is its corpse still visible at the bottom of Bakestone Cavern or something? I guess I've never been back down there to look!

There's variety in some of the things that happen and combinations of enemies in order to give players the feeling that they're not just ransacking the same facility over and over. To reinforce that, the entrances and exits to the dungeon will be moving throughout the cycle.

That is really cool. Look forward to being able to hit up all the different entrances to the dungeon.

Retro

TenTon has a preview up too: http://www.guildwars2hub.com/features/editorials/flame-and-frost-retribution-preview

To compliment this spectator mode is the new paid for structured PvP server hosting that once again replicates first person shooters and allows for players to truly craft their own combat arenas. Some of the options include:

Determining map rotations (or removing it all together)
Member lists
Ban lists
Favourite lists
Password servers
Player limits
Hosting tournaments
Inviting other teams for scrimmages
Enable/Disable spectator mode

On top of all of this and according to ArenaNet, the Flame and Frost: Retribution will see one of the biggest balance sweeps of structured PvP to date with an even greater number of split-skills between PvE and sPvP. All in all, Flame and Frost: Retribution is set to be one of the best updates to ever arrive for Guild Wars 2 based on it laying the foundations for future years of competitive play while bringing with it an epic conclusion to a story arc months in the making.

Also mentions that the Flame and Frost dungeon is accessible at all levels, the enemies change in terms of type and skills, and even the dialogue changes. The loot is also described as "visually stunning and entirely unique to this dungeon." Here's hoping one of the new skins is Rox's quiver.

I don't think that's a really solid comparison. It's neither one-time nor scheduled at all, it's instanced, and as such doesn't take place in the open world nor will the area it takes place in be accessible at all one the content is removed from the game, and of course can only be experienced by a group of 5 rather than a huge crowd. It sounds to me much more like the Braham and Rox instances, in that they're story-driven and temporary additions for a single party and can be accessed at any time during the period their available.

I just meant that it's content that covers a part of an on-going story and then disappears forever, making it a unique experience for those who participated. If they continue to do stuff like this (and they've given every indication that they have), eventually we'll be able to look back at screenshots and 'remember when', or people will spot a unique weapon skin and there will be a story behind it, not just "I bought it from the gem store when it was on sale".

They're definitely committed to that concept. I'm not sure what you mean about the Karka though?

The Queen Karka in Southsun is still right where we killed her, a monument to that event. If a new player were to go down there and see this giant, petrified Karka, they'd have no idea why it is there or what happened.

Oh you mean the Ancient Karka, is its corpse still visible at the bottom of Bakestone Cavern or something? I guess I've never been back down there to look!

Yeah, she's still down there. And I dunno why I consider her the "Queen", other than that just makes sense.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just meant that it's content that covers a part of an on-going story and then disappears forever, making it a unique experience for those who participated. If they continue to do stuff like this (and they've given every indication that they have), eventually we'll be able to look back at screenshots and 'remember when', or people will spot a unique weapon skin and there will be a story behind it, not just "I bought it from the gem store when it was on sale".
Yeah, they are definitely big on that. I get asked about my Mad Memories backpiece when I have it equipped. It'll be wild multiple years down the road.
The Queen Karka in Southsun is still right where we killed her, a monument to that event. If a new player were to go down there and see this giant, petrified Karka, they'd have no idea why it is there or what happened.
I had no clue it was still down there. Now I want to go visit!

Wonder if we'll ever repair the lighthouse in LA, too. I was hoping something would get wrecked or changed similarly in Flame & Frost, but I suppose there's still a chance.
Yeah, she's still down there. And I dunno why I consider her the "Queen", other than that just makes sense.
Yeah we know nothing of Karka reproductive systems other than "they lay eggs," and that thing having been referred to only as the Ancient Karka, it might be rather offended that you're so confidently referring to it as female. Though it's all dead and stuff now so I suppose it can't complain. Teehee, you're a girl Ancient Karka! What are you gonna do about it!

Retro

From the TenTon article;

ArenaNet citing that a complete “run” by a hardcore dungeon group should still take around 40 minutes with the difficulty scale somewhere between a story and explorable mode variant.

Wonder if we'll ever repair the lighthouse in LA, too. I was hoping something would get wrecked or changed similarly in Flame & Frost, but I suppose there's still a chance.

Well, last time I was over in that corner of the map (maybe a few weeks?) the in-game map still showed the old lighthouse and it's bridge, despite the bridge being gone and a new lighthouse going up to the southwest of that location. I like the idea of the world being 'alive' and getting new structures and such as time goes on to reflect changing events. Like the Flame and Frost stuff? They need to build a "Refugee Memorial" statue in that corner of Lion's Arch where the camp is now. Likewise, I hope Southsun's colonization is an on-going thing and we can check back from month to month to see them expand into the island, add new features, etc.

Awesome, I might have to roll a Charr Ranger just for the high level of appropriateness. Also, that article mentions the "Back Banner" in the WvW section; I wonder if it's a WvW-only thing.

Anyways, I bet it's some variation on the Sashimono, which is actually something I've always wanted to see in an MMO. If true, that's pretty badass.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, last time I was over in that corner of the map (maybe a few weeks?) the in-game map still showed the old lighthouse and it's bridge, despite the bridge being gone and a new lighthouse going up to the southwest of that location. I like the idea of the world being 'alive' and getting new structures and such as time goes on to reflect changing events.
The map there has always been the same sadly :p

The guru article implies that Rox's quiver is one of the gem shop items I think (the other three ostensibly being her bow, Braham's mace and shield?)

Retro

The guru article implies that Rox's quiver is one of the gem shop items I think (the other three ostensibly being her bow, Braham's mace and shield?)

If the Quiver is gemstore based, then I think you're right. Which begs the question; what the hell is the loot in the actual dungeon?

Retro

I wonder how limited paid arenas will be, and how quickly they expand who can use it.

The comment on "only a few" being able to use them makes me think it might be tied to PvP Rank (which makes sense because they just put out the leaderboards so the public can track it). We'll find out next week.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hopefully some stuff we've never seen before!

Here's a general list of what we've confirmed or near-confirmed throughout different articles so far:

• New F&F World Events
  • F&F Dungeon (changes to various aspects of it on replay, unique loot)
  • 4 new unique skins in the gem store (theoretically Braham and Rox's stuff)
  • Sonic Tunnelling Tool/Toy (no clue)
  • New Guild Rush (quaggans in frostgorge sound)
  • 24 new Guild Trek locations
  • WXP trait additions
  • Guild Back Banners
  • Large skill-balance pass (more split PvE/PvP numbers)
  • Custom Arenas
  • Spectator Mode

Let me know if I missed anything. Also let's all take a moment and acknowledge that this will be coming less than a month after the Super Adventure Box was unveiled to the world.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A new armor set would be pretty clutch. I do not believe any have yet been added to the game since launch. How to make it not look like the SE stuff would be a task, though.
Digging the new mob models I'm seeing in these shots...

Jira

Watch Ash get some unique molten crown on his first trip inside

Sadly this would not surprise me in the least.

In response to the news:

Wat

ANet really knows how to consistently surprise us. No one else in the industry is A. Doing a temporary dungeon, B. Randomizing its location in the world, C. Randomizing the content inside of it.

Retro

A new armor set would be pretty clutch. I do not believe any have yet been added to the game since launch. How to make it not look like the SE stuff would be a task, though.

Yeah, the fact that we have Dredge and Flame Legion-themed armor in-game already makes it hard to find a unique look without outdoing one or even both of the preexisting sets. Likewise, with the Fused weapon skins, I don't think they'll be able to add a bunch of new weapon skins that outdo ones you had to 'gamble' for, so to speak.

Maybe new Back Items?

I remember people saying that Braham's and Rox's armor was unique and you cannot get it anywhere.

It would be cool if you can get it by completing the dungeon.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I remember people saying that Braham's and Rox's armor was unique and you cannot get it anywhere.

It would be cool if you can get it by completing the dungeon.
Braham's armor is definitely unique, along with his mace and shield. Rox's quiver and bow are unique but I dunno about her armor; it didn't stand out to me.

I haven't been on in almost two weeks. I gotta get back on the horse.
I didn't play at all last night, just fell asleep mad early... I'm already feeling the itch. Want to play a bunch tonight but I haven't decided what I want to do yet. Definitely gonna do some more SAB runs, but then I think I'll focus some time on Icerender... he's getting damn close to 80. There must be some dungeons I could take him into now.

Maybe some sPvP for the daily depending on today's categories...

I didn't play at all last night, just fell asleep mad early... I'm already feeling the itch. Want to play a bunch tonight but I haven't decided what I want to do yet. Definitely gonna do some more SAB runs, but then I think I'll focus some time on Icerender... he's getting damn close to 80. There must be some dungeons I could take him into now.

I am more then happy to go through some dungeons tonight if I am on when you are. Payge is 78 and I have only done AC story, CM story, and COF1.

Lunar15

I was thinking about a cool idea Anet could use for Southsun to make it really worthwhile. (knowing full well they won't)

Basically, playing on the Consortium resort idea, they could have a full "casino" style resort with "wager" related mini games. This could be their way to factor in more mini games, but add the ability to place bets on certain activities. (karka pit battles, lol) To incentivize participation, they could have "casino chips" drop in the world as loot that you could take on over to southsun to try your luck at some stuff.

I like this idea because:

A. It's thematically appropriate (Tropical resort/consortium greed)
B. Provides Anet with another money sink (they love those) while providing new styles of content for players.
C. Makes Southsun a particularly attractive destination with unique flavor and utility.

It's not a perfect idea, but one that I'd personally find pretty awesome. Roll this out with a summer-themed living story arc (tiki dungeon, please!) and it could be a hit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I am more then happy to go through some dungeons tonight if I am on when you are. Payge is 78 and I have only done AC story, CM story, and COF1.
I havent lived --- i know!.

Havent done any dungeons yet so if its not too late I'd love to join. ;)
Absolutely fellas. Wouldn't mind getting SE and COF story done with him. And any manner of AC exp paths <3
I was thinking about a cool idea Anet could use for Southsun to make it really worthwhile. (knowing full well they won't)
No idea how much your idea will be reflected if at all, but big changes to Southsun Cove can definitely be expected in the near future.

Ashodin

Things I gotta do before patch:

• Finish SAB
  • Get the other skins I want
  • Get all achievements

Whew!

Also, I need to get ready for gem city with the new patch skinzzzzz. Can't wait.

yes, I most likely will get whatever is new from the dungeon fast (unless they gate it). ;)

HappyHunting

Neo Member
Things I gotta do before patch:

• Finish SAB
  • Get the other skins I want
  • Get all achievements

Whew!

Also, I need to get ready for gem city with the new patch skinzzzzz. Can't wait.

yes, I most likely will get whatever is new from the dungeon fast (unless they gate it). ;)

If it makes you feel better my list is this:

*Everything*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom