• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

Hey guys, I'm currently overloaded with work and barely get a moment to myself.

Could someone summarise the patch in a cliffnotes version that's easy for me to digest...:D

- New Storymode Dungeon for Living Story
- 30 new Guild Trek locations
- New Guild Rush (Quaggans)
- Back Banners
- 4 new weapon skins in the gem store (We believe they are Rox's Quiver/bow and Braham's Mace/Shield)
- New Weapon skins in the dungeon as well.
- PVP Spectator Mode and Custom Arenas (Limited though, as they're in Beta)

Who knows what else? Probably get the patch notes sometime Tuesday morning.

Arcteryx

I never post in this thread but read it almost daily. A lot of neogaf guilds come and go but this one has really thrived and you guys seem like you're building a good community within the game. Anyway, I crafted Infinite Light last night and figured I would drop a couple of pictures here. For full album, click here.

Good luck to you guys as you move forward in your guild activities! :)

haha that was you who posted on Reddit? Congrats dude, we can be Infinite Bros!
gw097vbu9i.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
- New Storymode Dungeon for Living Story
- 30 new Guild Trek locations
- New Guild Rush (Quaggans)
- Back Banners
- 4 new weapon skins in the gem store (We believe they are Rox's Quiver/bow and Braham's Mace/Shield)
- New Weapon skins in the dungeon as well.
- PVP Spectator Mode and Custom Arenas (Limited though, as they're in Beta)

Who knows what else?
Arrow Cart ability line and expansion of Guard Killer line in WvW progression
Big skill balance pass with more splitting between modes

Good luck to you guys as you move forward in your guild activities! :)

... Well thank you for opening my eyes to the world of "near legendary" weapons.

Did NOT know that you could use the MF to make some AMAZING stuff like this!
I mean, holy WOW ... that Infinite Light looks amazing! Anyone know of any other weapons that look like that?

Looking through this list and I NEED some of these!!!
http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Mystic_Forge/Other_Items

edit
haha that was you who posted on Reddit? Congrats dude, we can be Infinite Bros!
gw097vbu9i.png

THAT'S THE EXACT COMBO I put together in my head for "which of these weapons would look amazing on my future Mesmer"!

That Anomaly focus WILL be on my future Mesmer. :D

robatw

i know you hate those questions but man i want to start playing this game. i bought it when it was released and never played it. which is the best class to begin with? i want cool gameplay but i want to be able to solo most of the game.

Yaska

i know you hate those questions but man i want to start playing this game. i bought it when it was released and never played it. which is the best class to begin with? i want cool gameplay but i want to be able to solo most of the game.

What playstyle do you usually employ? Do you prefer PvP? PvE? or WubWub?

Think Warrior or Thief could be nice starting points or Ranger. There's imo no best class to begin with. I started with ele, and still play that same ele, while being able to solo most soloable content. So it's mainly up to you what kind of a character you wish to play.

robatw

i want to pve first. mb some pvp later when im higher level. i kinda play ranger type of characters in every game but mb it is time to change it up.

E: thx yaska!

Yaska

i want to pve first. mb some pvp later when im higher level. i kinda play ranger type of characters in every game but mb it is time to change it up.

Ranger could be fun for you then. Plenty of ranged options, and can melee with swords. Also you can hit PvP as soon as you start the game basically. ( you get scaled to 80 in WvW and PvP (in PvP you have PvP stuff and skills available.))

Just try everything man :). I started with a ranger, didn't get far at all, then tried out warrior, ele, and mesmer. I now have a lvl 60 warrior

I'm downloading the latest patch and about to log on for the first time in a couple months! Stoked

EDIT: Holy crap I'm level 68

nataku

I actually do use a scepter once in a while for extra clone spam. It isn't that bad!

Clone generation needs to be on the second purple ball of energy at least. It's just too slow and easy to delay with other skills.

Or, since they're nerfing confusion they could bring back secpter 1 causing a small amount of confusion on clone generation.

So how do I apply to GAF Guild? Also, I'm really REALLY casual, is that a problem?

Not a problem at all. In GAF Guild, you're not required to do anything. There's quite a bit of us that group up for dungeons, events, and Guild content but there's also some that pretty much do their own thing, don't chat much, and only group with other Gaffers when they feel like it. The leadership and membership here doesn't mind either way.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Clone generation needs to be on the second purple ball of energy at least. It's just too slow and easy to delay with other skills.

Or, since they're nerfing confusion they could bring back secpter 1 causing a small amount of confusion on clone generation.
I dunno exactly what you mean by easy to delay, in my experience playing scepter effectively has a lot to do with timing that third hit appropriately; whether shattering a full 3 the moment before it hits to get back to one, or offsetting the 3rd hit in the chain with a phantasm gen skill, then dodging right before it hits to go from 0 to 3 clones near-instantly without using any utilities, or dodging exactly as it hits when 3 clones are already active to trigger two Debilitating Dissipation conditions. Those two changes you proposed would actually kind of make it OP from my perspective. Not that I'd turn them down :D
So how do I apply to GAF Guild? Also, I'm really REALLY casual, is that a problem?
There's no application, just post your character name, account name or whisper and officer and we'll get you in. Also, on a side note, I don't even know what really casual even means anymore. We have such an eclectic mix of people who are on near constantly, people who play an hour a few times a week, and people who play 72 hours in a row then take a break for 2 months... I've lost all sense of what casualness is with regard to playing this game :p Just know that we have absolutely no requirements for participation or playtime or responsibilities, no level of experience is required to be a part of the guild, and all guild activities are optional.

That said help with our next Tier 3 bounty or I'll ban you.

In all seriousness though, I'm working out some strategies based on our last 3 attempts. I would totally love to get one done this week. I definitely think having fewer than six squads to maximize the chances of finding a bounty per zone has a lot of merit.

Wallach

Listening to the State of the Game thing right now, the Ranger notes are exactly what I want to hear. Pet AI improvements are minor, but there are also "huge" decreases in F2 skill cast time (the primary thing I've complained about since I started playing) and a pet-wide stat improvement for Vitality and Toughness to make them much harder to kill. They also buffed Spirit survivability by "a LOT" and improved the trait that increases proc chance up to like +70%. That's a whole lot of stuff I've wanted to hear for a while.

They didn't mention anything regarding Ranger weapons, which I think is the other area they are still fairly janky (stuff like the Sword 1 vortex, Longbow 1 being fucked up) but I think those might be things that get addressed in their bug fix focused patch coming next month.

That said help with our next Tier 3 bounty or I'll ban you.

I am just happy I was able to get on right at the last 5-6 minutes of the rush and then help with the trek (my first time being online during a guild event). It was my only time I was able to get on the PC this weekend.

Levyne

Banned
Listening to the State of the Game thing right now, the Ranger notes are exactly what I want to hear. Pet AI improvements are minor, but there are also "huge" decreases in F2 skill cast time (the primary thing I've complained about since I started playing) and a pet-wide stat improvement for Vitality and Toughness to make them much harder to kill. They also buffed Spirit survivability by "a LOT" and improved the trait that increases proc chance up to like +70%. That's a whole lot of stuff I've wanted to hear for a while.

They didn't mention anything regarding Ranger weapons, which I think is the other area they are still fairly janky (stuff like the Sword 1 vortex, Longbow 1 being fucked up) but I think those might be things that get addressed in their bug fix focused patch coming next month.

Sounds good. What do you mean about longbow 1? The distance:damage correlation?

Wallach

Sounds good. What do you mean about longbow 1? The distance:damage correlation?

Not really the distance:damage ratio, but the damage:activation time is wrong. It's listed at a .75 activation but it's actually a 1.25; the power scaling means the Shortbow does more direct damage DPS at all ranges no matter what your power is (ignoring the fact that the Shortbow has an additional positional bleed stack). They either need to change the power/damage scaling of the move to match the activation or actually fix the activation to be .75.

In all seriousness though, I'm working out some strategies based on our last 3 attempts. I would totally love to get one done this week. I definitely think having fewer than six squads to maximize the chances of finding a bounty per zone has a lot of merit.

Less than 6 groups to find the bounties faster... so you mean going back to a scouting technique?

oktarb

man I had no idea about these "pre-legendaries". Still tied down my mystic coins so it would be awhile before I could get one. I really wish I could turn skill points into mystic coins. I hate being tied down by time.

man I had no idea about these "pre-legendaries". Still tied down my mystic coins so it would be awhile before I could get one. I really wish I could turn skill points into mystic coins. I hate being tied down by time.

You can buy mystic coins in the TP. They're fairly cheap.

nataku

I dunno exactly what you mean by easy to delay, in my experience playing scepter effectively has a lot to do with timing that third hit appropriately; whether shattering a full 3 the moment before it hits to get back to one, or offsetting the 3rd hit in the chain with a phantasm gen skill, then dodging right before it hits to go from 0 to 3 clones near-instantly without using any utilities, or dodging exactly as it hits when 3 clones are already active to trigger two Debilitating Dissipation conditions. Those two changes you proposed would actually kind of make it OP from my perspective. Not that I'd turn them down :D

I'm just talking about the fact that using any other skill causes the Ether Bolt chain to pause, which slows down clone generation unless you just sit there doing auto attack. It just feels too slow to me compared to the on demand clone generation of other weapons. Yeah, it's faster than a cooldown on other weapons if you just auto attack, but I don't find myself in situations where I have the luxury to do that too often.

Then there's the fact that Confusing Images (3) completely resets the chain. If you throw out that skill at any time while doing the Ether Bolt chain you need 4-5 bolts to generate just one clone.

Scepter requires those traits you mentioned to be a decent weapon, IMO. I don't really feel like I'm required to take other traits to make other weapons useable.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Less than 6 groups to find the bounties faster... so you mean going back to a scouting technique?
No. You weren't there? I thought you were in one of the groups!

Basically what we did was have 2 "teams" of three squads each- 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c.

Team 1 was responsible for Bounties 1, 2, and 3.
Team 2 was resposible for Bounties 4, 5, and 6.

When the Bounty began, squads 1a, b and c went to the zone for bounty 1 and started looking, and squads 2a, b, and c went to the zone for bounty 4 and started looking. On kill, Team 1 moved to bounty 2, Team 2 to bounty 5, and so on.

The benefit of this over having six squads here was that at any given time, we had at least 15 people on a given map searching for a Bounty instead of 5- reducing the time-to-find and time-to-kill at the expense of not looking for them all at once.

With no prescouting, through this method we found 5 of the 6 bounties, killed 4 and had the 5th to 20%.

Truly, if we had another Team of 15 (for 45 people total participating in the Bounty) this method would result in a near-guaranteed victory every time because of the increased likelihood of quickly finding a given bounty plus the fact that every team would be responsible only for 2 of the 6. That said, we can't count on that participating regularly, whereas we actually have had around 30 without fail just about every time.

----

So what I'm thinking for the next one we try will be this:

We'll prescout the ones that are very easy to find (Poobadoo, Trillia, Brekkabek) as well as 2-Mult and Komali (the ones that we need to count on having the most time to actually fight) by sending the whole guild to each zone one by one (this will give our chances of success a boost without the scouting phase becoming too mindnumbingly boring or cheesy).

Then, one of the teams will go to Sparkfly Fen, and the other team to Gendarran Fields before starting the Bounty- Sparkfly because it has a higher chance of containing an unscouted Bounty than any other zone (2 possible bounties, neither of which we'll have prescouted) and Gendarran because motherfucking Sotzz. Then we'll start the Bounty. Anything scouted that pops up gets the Team members of whoever was tracking that one to come help kill it. Otherwise we follow the assignment order as we did last time.

I really think we have a decent shot at completing one regardless of bounty roll if we try this plan out. The real wildcard in my eyes is getting some combination of 2-Mult, Komali, Yanonka, Mayana, Sotzz, Trekksa, and of course Prisoner on the same roll. However, just having 2-Mult and/or Komali pre-scouted so that their fights could be initiated immediately would be a massive timesaver.

Sorry for the length there, I was thinking aloud to an extent. Feel free to give me thoughts!

W1SSY

Do I try to finish my monthly or try out Super Adventure Box? Two days, so many things to do, so little time.

why-not-both.jpg

Depending on how far along in monthly you can finish it easy and then try SAB. At this point you won't be able to get enough baubles for a skin and they are bringing it back.

Lunar15

Colin probably realized that we were dominating T3 bounties, and rigged it so that we'll always get a really bad roll including sotzz, 2-mult, and mayana every time.

But we will prevail!

why-not-both.jpg

Depending on how far along in monthly you can finish it easy and then try SAB. At this point you won't be able to get enough baubles for a skin and they are bringing it back.

He could if he really wanted to. Create toon > run SAB > deposit baubles in bank > delete toon > repeat.

Or he could buy the shovel and just run zone 1 and 2 over and over digging up baubles to convert.

The monthly is a lot harder to complete in the amount of time he has than it would be to farm a skin.

Retro

Colin probably realized that we were dominating T3 bounties, and rigged it so that we'll always get a really bad roll including sotzz, 2-mult, and mayana every time.

But we will prevail!

It's Komali that screws us, and he shows up every time.

No. You weren't there? I thought you were in one of the groups!

Basically what we did was have 2 "teams" of three squads each- 1a, 1b, 1c, 2a, 2b, 2c.

Team 1 was responsible for Bounties 1, 2, and 3.
Team 2 was resposible for Bounties 4, 5, and 6.

When the Bounty began, squads 1a, b and c went to the zone for bounty 1 and started looking, and squads 2a, b, and c went to the zone for bounty 4 and started looking. On kill, Team 1 moved to bounty 2, Team 2 to bounty 5, and so on.

The benefit of this over having six squads here was that at any given time, we had at least 15 people on a given map searching for a Bounty instead of 5- reducing the time-to-find and time-to-kill at the expense of not looking for them all at once.

With no prescouting, through this method we found 5 of the 6 bounties, killed 4 and had the 5th to 20%.

Truly, if we had another Team of 15 (for 45 people total participating in the Bounty) this method would result in a near-guaranteed victory every time because of the increased likelihood of quickly finding a given bounty plus the fact that every team would be responsible only for 2 of the 6. That said, we can't count on that participating regularly, whereas we actually have had around 30 without fail just about every time.

----

So what I'm thinking for the next one we try will be this:

We'll prescout the ones that are very easy to find (Poobadoo, Trillia, Brekkabek) as well as 2-Mult and Komali (the ones that we need to count on having the most time to actually fight) by sending the whole guild to each zone one by one (this will give our chances of success a boost without the scouting phase becoming too mindnumbingly boring or cheesy).

Then, one of the teams will go to Sparkfly Fen, and the other team to Gendarran Fields before starting the Bounty- Sparkfly because it has a higher chance of containing an unscouted Bounty than any other zone (2 possible bounties, neither of which we'll have prescouted) and Gendarran because motherfucking Sotzz. Then we'll start the Bounty. Anything scouted that pops up gets the Team members of whoever was tracking that one to come help kill it. Otherwise we follow the assignment order as we did last time.

I really think we have a decent shot at completing one regardless of bounty roll if we try this plan out. The real wildcard in my eyes is getting some combination of 2-Mult, Komali, Yanonka, Mayana, Sotzz, Trekksa, and of course Prisoner on the same roll. However, just having 2-Mult and/or Komali pre-scouted so that their fights could be initiated immediately would be a massive timesaver.

Sorry for the length there, I was thinking aloud to an extent. Feel free to give me thoughts!

Yeah I missed most of Saturday's guild activities. I only made it for the rush and challenge that we did after reset.

The issue that I see with your proposed strat is scaling. Because pain in the ass bounties are still pain in the ass bounties regardless of group size. Komali will actually be harder to fight correctly due to the amount of pew-pew going on. The original six groups of five or the Group A1-3 and GroupB1-3 strats seem best to me. Unless I'm not understanding something in your new strat?

Retro

The issue that I see with your proposed strat is scaling. Because pain in the ass bounties are still pain in the ass bounties regardless of group size. Komali will actually be harder to fight correctly due to the amount of pew-pew going on. The original six groups of five or the Group A1-3 and GroupB1-3 strats seem best to me. Unless I'm not understanding something in your new strat?

We bum rushed him Saturday and I think the sheer volume of people hammering at him with knockback / condition removal actually managed to drop his shield with more frequency than a small group. We managed to actually kill him for the first time since they changed Bounties, and I still say he's bugged, and have reported it as such every time we fight him.

In fact, the only reason we failed that bounty was because someone had found Prisoner 1141, then lost her. When we found her again, it was a race to beat her and we only lost by 7 seconds.

Same goes for 2-Mult: we originally thought it would be best if a small group went, so nobody was shooting him while his shields were up and throwing sparks everywhere. But it turns out having a shitload of people means there are more sparks, and more sparks likely to get through, making his fight much easier.

We bum rushed him Saturday and I think the sheer volume of people hammering at him with knockback / condition removal actually managed to drop his shield with more frequency than a small group. We managed to actually kill him for the first time since they changed Bounties, and I still say he's bugged, and have reported it as such every time we fight him.

Same goes for 2-Mult: we originally thought it would be best if a small group went, so nobody was shooting him while his shields were up and throwing sparks everywhere. But it turns out having a shitload of people means there are more sparks, and more sparks likely to get through, making his fight much easier.

In fact, the only reason we failed that bounty was because someone had found Prisoner 1141, then lost her. When we found her again, it was a race to beat her and we only lost by 7 seconds.

So everyone was just spamming condi removal and kb/kd's until the shield dropped? And that worked out well?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I missed most of Saturday's guild activities. I only made it for the rush and challenge that we did after reset.

Hmm you seem to be not understanding something, yeah. Using Team 1 and Team 2 (or Group A and Group B ;)) is my new strat, just with a small amount of pre-scouting and strategic group placement before starting the bounty added on. This method should never really see more than 15 people on a single bounty (unless it would actually help, such as being down to the wire and still not having found Prisoner or Sotzz in the end). Unless we actually have more than 30 participating, in which case some more strategic division might be possible.

Komali.... *sigh* I don't even know what fighting him correctly IS anymore. The one time we beat him on Saturday, we basically abandoned calculation and summoned everyone, throwing as many bodies at him as possible and just spamming boon removal and CC. We did in fact get him out of the shield twice this way, but from my perspective there was no rhyme or reason to it. We just chaotically killed him til he died.

Next time we get him, I'd like to individually try the Steal/CC strategy to see if it's actually possible (basically, any time his shield goes up, everybody should back off 2-MULT style), but failing that.... we might want to just call in the cavalry.

I still really think he might sometimes be bugged, or at least I'd love some kind of in-game assistance to point out what you're supposed to do. If the fire shield buff would at least stipulate that the way to do it is to not attack, strip the boons, CC, repeat, it would at least ease my mind.
Definitely, with one caveat: people who know what to do. I'm pretty sure we lost that last time (though it was close) because of two random peeps that just happened upon the fight and started wailing on his shield.

edit: Hmmm that reminds me, CAN you hang onto sparks indefinitely? It would be sort of amazing to have 5 people grab them during the phase and just run out to safety, then run back in and immediately spam him the next time he puts it up.
So everyone was just spamming condi removal and kb/kd's until the shield dropped? And that worked out well?
Not well, exactly, in that we still spent more time on him than the average bounty by anyone's measurement. But it did work, which counts for something. The last time I was trying him with a group of 5 we just couldn't get it off and got massacred.

Retro

I can't honestly tell you what exactly caused the shield to drop, but I know that it did drop a lot more than when we try to keep our numbers low. I'm not sure if it was a ton of people spamming knockback / condition removal, just having extra Necros show up to strip his boons, or if there's some kind of mechanic where his shield drops if it takes a certain amount of damage. Maybe he's screwed up and tomorrow's patch will fix him, maybe there's a mechanic we just haven't taken into account.

All I know is, when everyone on (40-50 people) was there hammer his ass, he broke. When we try to do it with 5 or 6 people and carefully try to remove his shield, it never drops, or drops for fractions of a second, and we waste a ton of time. Saturday was the first time we've killed him in a long time, after weeks of frustration trying to figure out just what's wrong with the strategy.

Interesting. Ok well just throw me in a group and tell me where to go Sir Hawkian and I'll get a better idea of what you're proposing.

And I guess the Komali and 2Mult strat is Gaf Zerg Assemble until we hear otherwise.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hahaha man we got like exactly the same information (or lack thereof) out of that fight Retro.
Interesting. Ok well just throw me in a group and tell me where to go Sir Hawkian and I'll get a better idea of what you're proposing.
No problemo, it'll definitely be clearer in practice.

edit: I'm loath to call the 2-MULT strategy zerging. With Komali that term was hella accurate on Saturday. With 2-Mult it's "the more people that know what to do the better," anyone not knowing what to do = rapidly impossible :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom