• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Levyne

Banned
Maybe this is a bad picture, one of the only ones I have on hand and the injector aa not captured in shot, but looks ok to me?

jbo9xXS6JNYCg4.png

Added a second picture.

But the texture is horrible, and there's no lighting on the face. It just looks like a bright reflective surface with no features. Not just that one character model from pictures posted in this thread, it's nearly all human faces - mainly white/pale faces to be fair.

They all look too young and featureless. Been an issue I've had since Beta. All the attention to detail the other races have, yet Humans look horrible.

Maybe this is a bad picture, one of the only ones I have on hand and the injector aa not captured in shot, but looks ok to me?

jbo9xXS6JNYCg4.png

Again. Face is covered so looks fine. It's when it's uncovered face, it's just too much. There's 'something' lacking to break up the block colour. Then the hair and facial hair just look odd too. Like novelty beards from a comedy store (made from cardboard) glued to a face.

Velocity

I got to play a bit more than normal last night, so I gained a couple levels. Almost 20 on my Mes! With that said, I totally suck at being a Mesmer. Playing with my gf's Ranger, I was hardly helping to kill anything. I noticed, though, that in that kind of situation I was heavily gravitating to Sword/Sword or Sword/Focus. I'll have to take a break for a bit as one of the friends I play with is going out of town and we don't want to leave him behind in levels. Guess I'll level a Guardian for the next week, since I'll never outgrow playing classes that look like Tanks.

On another note, what other content can I do aside from story, heart-questing(dunno the term), and the events(Troll up! Wasp! SB! Did I miss SB? Fuck, I missed SB!)? Being such a low level, I don't know if I can do the living story stuff and dungeons and whatever. I'm definitely a PvE guy so WvW and sPvP don't completely interest me at this point.

And I didn't get a guild invite yet... ;_;

Human models still look terrible, and often look out of place in screenshots as their super smooth reflective faces stand out far too much. They all look like overgrown pre-teens with silly hair and badly drawn facial hair.

Reminds me of something someone pointed out in the GW2 forum once.

Basically its pretty damn hard to make a human character who doesn't look "White, Asian or like a porcelain doll". I would have to agree, It's FAR easier for me to make chocolate female norn than one that's human. Mainly because of the face and hair options the humans lack.

But on the female norn side there's basically only 2-3 body types ... ( skinny + big tits, slim + big tits or truck torso and big tits :/ )

Jira

I got to play a bit more than normal last night, so I gained a couple levels. Almost 20 on my Mes! With that said, I totally suck at being a Mesmer. Playing with my gf's Ranger, I was hardly helping to kill anything. I noticed, though, that in that kind of situation I was heavily gravitating to Sword/Sword or Sword/Focus. I'll have to take a break for a bit as one of the friends I play with is going out of town and we don't want to leave him behind in levels. Guess I'll level a Guardian for the next week, since I'll never outgrow playing classes that look like Tanks.

On another note, what other content can I do aside from story, heart-questing(dunno the term), and the events(Troll up! Wasp! SB! Did I miss SB? Fuck, I missed SB!)? Being such a low level, I don't know if I can do the living story stuff and dungeons and whatever. I'm definitely a PvE guy so WvW and sPvP don't completely interest me at this point.

What's your account name? The XXXX.1234 thing.

Levyne

Banned
Queensdale is kinda of an odd zone. One of the only ones where a large number of events are called out repeatedly and apparently everyone repeats them often so that very rarely are waypoints given if not asked for.

Most of the Flame and Frost content is in the zones Wayfarer Foothills and Diessa Plateau, which are low level, you should be able to do them, and the dungeon scales you up.

Once you are level 40-50 you should be able to do many of the guild missions (We tend to do guild stuff Saturday mid-day and late evening, Friday nights as well.) Guild missions just kind of depend on which zones are randomly picked and the zones' levels.

Dungeons start at 30/35 with a new one (meeting the recommended level) every 10 levels or so.

3/4 World events take place in lower level zones. Not really beefy content but it's fun to ride the gaf train from place to place.

Reminds me of something someone pointed out in the GW2 forum once.

Basically its pretty damn hard to make a human character who doesn't look "White, Asian or like a porcelain doll". I would have to agree, It's FAR easier for me to make chocolate female norn than one that's human. Mainly because of the face and hair options the humans lack.

But on the female norn side there's basically only 2-3 body types ... ( skinny + big tits, slim + big tits or truck torso and big tits :/ )

Yes.

However, I like the Norn design when people go over the top with it. Like the guy who has the huge norn with the red face paint cover half his face and body. That looks class with the armor sets he's using.

Basically what you're saying is that you don't like white people.

No.

Looks like a doll in this second shot. Plastic hair an all. But I guess I never really like the shaders in GW2 in the first place. Very... shimmery and oily.

Yes.

Wallach

Looks like a doll in this second shot. Plastic hair an all. But I guess I never really like the shaders in GW2 in the first place. Very... shimmery and oily.

Being serious, this is definitely a shader issue but it's not human specific. His hair looks like a helmet in this shot, and at certain angles the average Asura looks like it is covered in a thin film.

Charr are really the only ones that avoid this because they don't use these shaders on their fur so they look more normal in varying light conditions.

Yup, even Asura can suffer from a strange shine. Yet, their actual features are there - they have features and their faces generally look 'lived in'.

Yes.

However, I like the Norn design when people go over the top with it. Like the guy who has the huge norn with the red face paint cover half his face and body. That looks class with the armor sets he's using.

Oh definitely.

Seeing stuff like THIS on reddit has given me so many great ideas for a norn that take advantage of all their cool features (size, build, tattoos, hair)

Lunar15

I agree on the stuff about humans. I've found that the female norn faces have a better variety and can look a lot like various races. Humans look all weird and gangly to me. Something about norn seems more proportional, despite the fact that they're huge. Heck, you can even have a heavier woman if you want, as opposed to a skinny-minnie.

Plus, I mean, tatoos man. So awesome.

So I have gotten a few steps into the Rox and Graham sorylines and I am lovin them so far. I really hope I get enough me time to finish these off along with the dungeon. Thanks for the push Weltall Zero, got me right over the edge.

Glad to be of service! Please don't hesitate to ask in guild chat for people to run facility, it's a short and very fun dungeon so I'm sure you'll always find someone. :)

At level 20 you can do the entirety of the current Living Story content, including the dungeon. :) If you need quick levels, gathering and crafting give quite a lot of exp. I'd try WvW if I were you, as it's a quite PvE-flavored kind of PvP, but it might not be to your liking, especially with nobody who can tell you what you're doing. Other than that, the meat and potatoes of the game is events, hearts and dungeons, with the latter starting at 30 (exception made of the Living Story dungeon while it lasts, so get it while it's there), but you'll find more varied and elaborate events (and also hearts) as you keep playing. Basically, the thing is that the game doesn't start turning up the heat until 30ish, so if you're finding it too simple or easy, you're in for a treat, but if you find it challenging already... that's kind of bad news. :D

I'm in love with Garg's looks.

Yup, Norn are basically the "true" human race in GW2 as far as I'm concerned. Every race gets so many cool features that human look outta place with their lack of shape/ markings and colors :/

I only made my Mesmer human because the Norn female voice and dialog doesn't match how I want my mesmer to sound/ be. Even after a long ass customization session my chocolate Mesmer still looks kinda baby-faced :[

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
Basically what you're saying is that you don't like white people.

I think he's talking about people that look like made out of plastic in general. Sylvari, Asura, Charr and even Norn just look so much better and more defined.

A lot of what was said feels like what I've read before, which is good since it gives me a good direction and perspective on Mesmer. I respecced and went 5 points into illusion and haven't put points elsewhere. I still cannot decide how I want to go with my Mesmer just yet. I feel like I should take some short videos of how I tend to play naturally(with a little guidance) and post 'em as subject matter. As for builds I've seen...

And this: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/mesmer/Lazy-Kai-s-Guide-to-PvE-Leveling-Guide

Two links, three different builds. Lazy Kai's build intrigued me since, well, I can be lazy. It sounds close-ish to the "Illusion Army" build seen in the reddit post Lone_Prodigy linked(Thanks!), but does anyone have any extended opinions on them? I know it'll come down more to my personal style of play, and I'd try them all if respeccing my traits didn't break the bank.

Also, I appreciate all the effort that's been put forth in giving me feedback. Thanks guys (and girls?)
You'll actually figure out your play style pretty quick, if you prefer shattering constantly or if you tend to leave your illusions around to help out.

Not too crazy about the Reddit builds, I took issue the second I saw where he put his trait points. If you go shatter, you want that amazing self shatter trait that requires you pour 30 pts into Illusions and it will go really well with any shatter build whether it's concentrated on conditions or base damage. As a Phantasm build Mes, I take even more issue with his Illusion Army. I want to throw a quick caveat that you really have the flexibility to tailor a build the way you want and can still make things work, but for a proper Phantasm build (not talking hybrids here), if you aren't pouring points into Inspiration, you're doing it wrong. That is THE trait line for Phantasms though there are a few very useful major traits in others but the majority are in Inspiration. He has 10 pts there which doesn't even reach the other 15 percent more damage by phantasms (stacks with the 15 percent more damage from the Domination line for 30 percent more damage!) You also get a trait that increases your phantasm's HP so everything doesn't one shot them (mine can survive anything but a powerful boss attack and a large group of enemies attacking it in unison) and having all phantasms generate non-stop regen when near them which can be very valuable as you imagine, whether you're hanging back at a safe distance with a ranged phantasm or you setup warden to pummel away at a boss from the side while you're attacking close with the sword. Take a look at the trait lines but you'll see that Inspiration is meant for Phantasm builds.

The lazy build is better and fine for a shatter build. The one comment I'd make is that you should not use a single weapon as he does. He admits it's for being lazy yada yada but if you're only ever using a single weapon, you're playing wrong. You should constantly be swapping between them for the right situation. I primarily use Sword/Focus but I swap to Staff in every battle for specific functions. Your traits will shape what skills you want to use and of course enemy encounters. Are you going to fight a boss that places lots of boons on himself? Does the dungeon have lots of enemies that use projectile attacks? etc.

I didn't touch on utilities as you're low level (what are you up to now?) but I should have provided a few to start with. Pretending you just unlocked your 7 skill slot, I recommend Mirror Images because 1. It's useful to instantly generate 2 clones to help you out at early levels or for quick ammo if you're going to shatter and 2. The reason it never leaves my bar even at level 80, that it's basically my heal. Whenever I've dropped to half health or worse, I use the skill (and if you have clone on dodge, can do a quick roll for a third clone) and use Ether Feast and it heals exponentially more than if you have no illusions out when you use it. When you are in a pinch and need a massive heal, this is a life saver, literally. This by the way is great boosted by my having many trait points in Inspiration as that trait line boost your max health as well has healing power. This gives me a nice health pool and enhances my survivability despite being a zerker glass cannon. Blink is an amazing survival tool as it breaks stuns and can get you away in a jiffy. You can also use it to shoot through a line of traps in a dungeon or jp. It's an excellent way to get enough of a head start that your pursuers won't be able to catch up to you. Feedback is excellent when in an area full of enemies that use projectiles and absolutely DESTROYS enemies with extremely powerful projectiles like karkas. Portal is invaluable in WvW but also is great when working as a team in other scenarios. Besides helping people with JP's, you can use it to get people past traps in dungeons if they aren't very good at dodging them or even use it to help your team use a shortcut that only a Mesmer can access via Blink. I use it in the CoF dungeon as well as in multiple fractals. If you are approaching a boss you know loads up on boons as some of the fractal bosses do, you can bring the combination of Arcane Thievery and Signet of Inspiration and once you see the boss full of useful boons, you use thievery to steal all of them and place them on yourself, then activate the signet to replicate every boon you have to the rest of your party. If you have staff equipped, pop on a chaos armor (the 4 skill) before you use the signet and your party will love you for all you've tossed on them. These are the skills I use most often but Null Field can be very useful if in an area where enemies cast lots of conditions and you don't have someone in your party that can cleanse them.

Hawkian covered the elite skill, Time Warp will rarely leave your bar, if ever. Amazing for bosses for obvious reasons but it's also nice to be able to heal downed allies at a rapid pace if multiple drop at once.

Give me an update on your level and what weapons you have and I can rant about those too ;)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Sylvari faces kind of make the most "sense." At times they look rather perfect and doll-like (other than being made out of plant) but it sort of fits that the were created to look like that.
That's why all my guys are too tall.
Mind blown.

Can't touch this.

Sylvari are SUCH a waste of potential! >:[

I can get over them all having pretty "Ehhhh" body shapes I guess seeing as plants don't need to have the hour-glass or buff-guy shapes ... I GUESS.

But the lack of hair and face options? Yeah, a lot of Sylvari players sufferer from looking alike/ having same-face because there's just not very many good faces or hair styles.

I mean, come one ... they're plant people. For hair, why not have flowers blooming on their head? Vine or root dreadlocks? Cotton bloom afro? More use of flower petals in hair?

Both the sylvari and the asura suffer from lack of hair options and the sylvari get a double-hit with their lack of faces and the simply fact that they have SO MUCH that can be used that's not.

Forget you guys! Humans and nothing else! Until they add more options....I want me a Largos real bad but would settle for Tengu. Man, it would be bad ass to add content where you travel into the deep deep abyssal depths where Largos dwell! The Largos with his son in Mount Maelstrom spoke of how dangerous it is down there....which makes me want to explore it! It would also be cool to finally get into the Land of Winds or whatever the Tengu's homeland is after being teased by that wall and the references back in GW1 as well.

Complistic

I can get over them all having pretty "Ehhhh" body shapes I guess seeing as plants don't need to have the hour-glass or buff-guy shapes ... I GUESS.

But the lack of hair and face options? Yeah, a lot of Sylvari players sufferer from looking alike/ having same-face because there's just not very many good faces or hair styles.

I mean, come one ... they're plant people. For hair, why not have flowers blooming on their head? Vine or root dreadlocks? Cotton bloom afro? More use of flower petals in hair?

Both the sylvari and the asura suffer from lack of hair options and the sylvari get a double-hit with their lack of faces and the simply fact that they have SO MUCH that can be used that's not.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect

There's certainly characters with the same skin/face/hair options but it seems more prevalent on the non human races because of that. I'd say my face/hair probably is the most common, but I see many different looking sylvari. Way more than I thought I'd see when I originally created her. Have yet to see one with my face/hair/colors.

Yep, my main is one and if they ever introduce *Change Race* cash shop item I would buy it and change my Guardian to Norn, Sylvari equal human plants, would have been awesome to see branches growing out of them but I guess Anet didn't want to deal with the headache of programing each armor set to make sure there's was no clipping, so I can understand that headache, but they didn't even try and make them stand out, the glowing should affect the all armors, also the glowing effect should be something we can change at any time we wanted, for a new race in Tyria Anet pretty much shat all over them and didn't even try...

Velocity

What's your account name? The XXXX.1234 thing.
Had posted it before, but I think it got overlooked: kreeze.9074

Glad to be of service! Please don't hesitate to ask in guild chat for people to run facility, it's a short and very fun dungeon so I'm sure you'll always find someone. :)

At level 20 you can do the entirety of the current Living Story content, including the dungeon. :) If you need quick levels, gathering and crafting give quite a lot of exp. I'd try WvW if I were you, as it's a quite PvE-flavored kind of PvP, but it might not be to your liking, especially with nobody who can tell you what you're doing. Other than that, the meat and potatoes of the game is events, hearts and dungeons, with the latter starting at 30 (exception made of the Living Story dungeon while it lasts, so get it while it's there), but you'll find more varied and elaborate events (and also hearts) as you keep playing. Basically, the thing is that the game doesn't start turning up the heat until 30ish, so if you're finding it too simple or easy, you're in for a treat, but if you find it challenging already... that's kind of bad news. :D

Well I definitely don't get tired of how I'm leveling now, but I am looking forward to dungeons a lot. It's my favorite thing to do in PvE. I guess once I hit level 20 I'll try out the living story dungeon!

You'll actually figure out your play style pretty quick, if you prefer shattering constantly or if you tend to leave your illusions around to help out.

Not too crazy about the Reddit builds, I took issue the second I saw where he put his trait points. If you go shatter, you want that amazing self shatter trait that requires you pour 30 pts into Illusions and it will go really well with any shatter build whether it's concentrated on conditions or base damage. As a Phantasm build Mes, I take even more issue with his Illusion Army. I want to throw a quick caveat that you really have the flexibility to tailor a build the way you want and can still make things work, but for a proper Phantasm build (not talking hybrids here), if you aren't pouring points into Inspiration, you're doing it wrong. That is THE trait line for Phantasms though there are a few very useful major traits in others but the majority are in Inspiration. He has 10 pts there which doesn't even reach the other 15 percent more damage by phantasms (stacks with the 15 percent more damage from the Domination line for 30 percent more damage!) You also get a trait that increases your phantasm's HP so everything doesn't one shot them (mine can survive anything but a powerful boss attack and a large group of enemies attacking it in unison) and having all phantasms generate non-stop regen when near them which can be very valuable as you imagine, whether you're hanging back at a safe distance with a ranged phantasm or you setup warden to pummel away at a boss from the side while you're attacking close with the sword. Take a look at the trait lines but you'll see that Inspiration is meant for Phantasm builds.

The lazy build is better and fine for a shatter build. The one comment I'd make is that you should not use a single weapon as he does. He admits it's for being lazy yada yada but if you're only ever using a single weapon, you're playing wrong. You should constantly be swapping between them for the right situation. I primarily use Sword/Focus but I swap to Staff in every battle for specific functions. Your traits will shape what skills you want to use and of course enemy encounters. Are you going to fight a boss that places lots of boons on himself? Does the dungeon have lots of enemies that use projectile attacks? etc.

I didn't touch on utilities as you're low level (what are you up to now?) but I should have provided a few to start with. Pretending you just unlocked your 7 skill slot, I recommend Mirror Images because 1. It's useful to instantly generate 2 clones to help you out at early levels or for quick ammo if you're going to shatter and 2. The reason it never leaves my bar even at level 80, that it's basically my heal. Whenever I've dropped to half health or worse, I use the skill (and if you have clone on dodge, can do a quick roll for a third clone) and use Ether Feast and it heals exponentially more than if you have no illusions out when you use it. When you are in a pinch and need a massive heal, this is a life saver, literally. This by the way is great boosted by my having many trait points in Inspiration as that trait line boost your max health as well has healing power. This gives me a nice health pool and enhances my survivability despite being a zerker glass cannon. Blink is an amazing survival tool as it breaks stuns and can get you away in a jiffy. You can also use it to shoot through a line of traps in a dungeon or jp. It's an excellent way to get enough of a head start that your pursuers won't be able to catch up to you. Feedback is excellent when in an area full of enemies that use projectiles and absolutely DESTROYS enemies with extremely powerful projectiles like karkas. Portal is invaluable in WvW but also is great when working as a team in other scenarios. Besides helping people with JP's, you can use it to get people past traps in dungeons if they aren't very good at dodging them or even use it to help your team use a shortcut that only a Mesmer can access via Blink. I use it in the CoF dungeon as well as in multiple fractals. If you are approaching a boss you know loads up on boons as some of the fractal bosses do, you can bring the combination of Arcane Thievery and Signet of Inspiration and once you see the boss full of useful boons, you use thievery to steal all of them and place them on yourself, then activate the signet to replicate every boon you have to the rest of your party. If you have staff equipped, pop on a chaos armor (the 4 skill) before you use the signet and your party will love you for all you've tossed on them. These are the skills I use most often but Null Field can be very useful if in an area where enemies cast lots of conditions and you don't have someone in your party that can cleanse them.

Hawkian covered the elite skill, Time Warp will rarely leave your bar, if ever. Amazing for bosses for obvious reasons but it's also nice to be able to heal downed allies at a rapid pace if multiple drop at once.

Give me an update on your level and what weapons you have and I can rant about those too ;)

Wow, just wow. So much good info for me to absorb. I'm just still not used to their being no real cookie-cutter builds or mandatory builds to be good at the game, but rather making a build around how one plays. It's like I can't wrap my ahead around it. And dungeons sound more hearty than I would have thought.

I hit level 19 last night and am close-ish to hitting level 20(will hit tonight). I primarily use a Greatsword but will switch out to Staff sometimes, and Sword/Sword/Focus as my alternate. I also try to keep my gear up to date with my level. I have a pretty good idea on how I can combo with my weapons and what not, but it really does feel like it takes a while to kill things, and that effect becomes more apparent when grouped. I typically do not play my Mesmer solo. I'm usually with one to two other people when leveling. I also don't shatter much, but sometimes I will. My play style just feels so sporadic even to myself that I can't peg a direction to go. It's different for sure.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Change race and class kits would be wonderful grand. I've been pining for them ever since I stopped playing ~4 months ago. Would swap my Guardian into a warrior instantly (if only so I can keep my armour - I'd never leave Sylvari T1).

Complistic

If you're waiting for a change race you should just remake your character now. Change race wouldn't work with the personal stories.

Ashodin

Don't worry about Lyphen, he makes the race change troll comment every so often to see if people bite.

Class change I could see eventually, but only between armor types.

You guys are posting pictures of me, you must really like me! Anyone? No?

Oh well

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
If you're waiting for a change race you should just remake your character now. Change race wouldn't work with the personal stories.
Aren't most of the story decisions after the first chain (the one you set up during character creation) the same regardless of race?

Don't worry about Lyphen, he makes the race change troll comment every so often to see if people bite.

Class change I could see eventually, but only between armor types.

You guys are posting pictures of me, you must really like me! Anyone? No?

Oh well
Haha, you're such a sensitive little guy. I'd love to see how a race/class change comment, which isn't even a criticism of the game, is trolling. Please PLEASE give me a glimpse of what goes on in your head. I'm really curious.

Also, fun fact: that's the first time I've mentioned race change. I'm glad you're with me on class change, because I've been 'trolling' for the chance to switch from Guardian for awhile.

The human male's face is a bit featureless. While I managed to make mine look more manly than most, I still cover part of the face with a mask.

gw024.jpg

Higher Res Shot

- Nice waist-to-shoulder ratio with that armor on.
- Strong looking pecs.
- Stubble / five o'clock shadow.
- Vigil Officer and a gentleman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cross-race_effect

There's certainly characters with the same skin/face/hair options but it seems more prevalent on the non human races because of that. I'd say my face/hair probably is the most common, but I see many different looking sylvari. Way more than I thought I'd see when I originally created her. Have yet to see one with my face/hair/colors.

Naaa, I can tell different non-humans apart just find. And my first toon and current main is a Sylvari (I'm the yellow skin/ purple hair Sylvari ele you may see in guild mission once every blue moon). I can tell different players apart but I'm more so talking about the fact that MOST players I see use a hand full of faces and hair styles for their Sylvari. Yours for example, I may not see that glow/ color and facial changes often ... but I do see many people pick that base face as the face they want to build off from. And that hair style? That choice is so common even I have it because there's apparently only about 4 hair styles most people like to use for the females.

THAT is why other races see "same-face". They simply don't have many choices and the ones they do have are only partly being used.

Yep, my main is one and if they ever introduce *Change Race* cash shop item I would buy it and change my Guardian to Norn, Sylvari equal human plants, would have been awesome to see branches growing out of them but I guess Anet didn't want to deal with the headache of programing each armor set to make sure there's was no clipping, so I can understand that headache, but they didn't even try and make them stand out, the glowing effect should effect the all armors, also the glowing effect should be something we can change at any time we wanted, for a new race in Tyria Anet pretty much shat all over them and didn't even try...

I would love to see more culture armor that gives them a more plant like look.
Like this.
I just hope that they get a big fat upgrade in the faces+hairs+Culture armor in the future expansion/ patches.

Lunar15

There's a setting you can turn off to make everything less shiny.

I forget which one it is though. I'll have to look it up next time I play.

Ashodin

My next armor set I want to work towards is TA, but good god that dungeon sucks my balls. It definitely needs an upgrade soon. Maybe I can find a group to stick it out.

Complistic

My next armor set I want to work towards is TA, but good god that dungeon sucks my balls. It definitely needs an upgrade soon. Maybe I can find a group to stick it out.

TA really isn't bad. One of the final boss fights is sorta hard, but its a pretty quick dungeon.

Well I definitely don't get tired of how I'm leveling now, but I am looking forward to dungeons a lot. It's my favorite thing to do in PvE. I guess once I hit level 20 I'll try out the living story dungeon!

Wow, just wow. So much good info for me to absorb. I'm just still not used to their being no real cookie-cutter builds or mandatory builds to be good at the game, but rather making a build around how one plays. It's like I can't wrap my ahead around it. And dungeons sound more hearty than I would have thought.

I hit level 19 last night and am close-ish to hitting level 20(will hit tonight). I primarily use a Greatsword but will switch out to Staff sometimes, and Sword/Sword/Focus as my alternate. I also try to keep my gear up to date with my level. I have a pretty good idea on how I can combo with my weapons and what not, but it really does feel like it takes a while to kill things, and that effect becomes more apparent when grouped. I typically do not play my Mesmer solo. I'm usually with one to two other people when leveling. I also don't shatter much, but sometimes I will. My play style just feels so sporadic even to myself that I can't peg a direction to go. It's different for sure.

Yeah there really are so many ways to go that are perfectly viable and it's pretty awesome that you can just choose what's the most fun instead of one defacto perfect build. Hell, you can even get away with just one weapon if you really want, I had my Ele get to lvl 80 and I think maybe even get WC or close solely using the fire attunenment so it's perfectly doable, but it's so less efficient and far more prone to get redundant and boring. You want to choose a pairing that synergizes or brings something unique to the table that will really help in situations and it also allows for a constant uptick in ability use and not sitting idly at the mercy of cool downs. Looking at the combinations you can do with different weapons illustrate it better than words.

Nice, you're higher level than I thought. Yes you will start out really weak and that's why people struggle with Mesmers and say it's a chore until you hit 40. Just wait until you have enough trait points and unlock more trait rows my friend. This is one class that starts out so frail but becomes a complete monster at 80 so you patience WILL pay off so long as you have fun playing as a Mesmer. I think as you become more powerful and unlock new abilities that should increase the fun you're having as well. One other thing that's awesome about the Mesmer trait line is that it's designed in such a way that it's very flexible. You can make rather significant changes in your build just by changing major traits which you can do for free from anywhere in your menu. This can be very useful if you're doing a dungeon or some area that really benefits off of a particular skill on a weapon you don't normally use. An example of this is that there is a trait for the focus that besides the faster cool down on focus skills, it makes all focus skills reflect projectiles. So if you don't normally carry the focus around but go to a projectile heavy dungeon, you might swap to it and change over to this trait for that dungeon run.

That's great that you're already playing with Sword/offhand! This is ideal but I didn't want to recommend staying near enemies when you first started out. I think I mentioned before that I'm all about Sword/Focus. At first I did it solely to get around the map faster with the intention of changing to pistol for dungeons and story missions but then I unlocked the trait for reflect and how awesome iWarden is and never looked back. He combo's well with the staff too as if I drop a Chaos Storm on him, he'll shoot balls of confusion in all kinds of directions and can likewise shoot balls of condition curing if I drop a Null Field on him. You can also learn the lovely art of pulling enemies using Temporal Curtain. It's can be very handy to pull a spread group into a bunched ball for your team to attack all at once or you can toss enemies away when you just want to run. I also use it regularly if an enemy runs out of range of my iWarden who's one weakness is he stays stationary. I'll pull them right back into his attack range :)

Pistol is amazing for stacking conditions if you have a condition triggered by getting crits. There's a minor trait in Dueling called Sharper Images that causes bleed on crit and the iDuelist gets 6 shots or so off in one attack so potential for 6 sticks of bleed in a moment. Also nice that he attacks at range which makes it less likely he'll get killed quickly.

Torch can be very useful for certain builds and situations namely curing conditions and blasting aoe on large groups. I find Scepter to be condition build specific but if someone that uses it regularly feels otherwise, they can explain it as I haven't given it much attention.

Staff I love for Chaos Armor and Chaos Storm works well with so many other skills that other classes can combo with. It provides ranged attacks for situations where you can't get close or melee won't work and Phase Retreat is up there for one of the top survival skills in the game. It jumps you a safe distance away from enemies and creates a clone to distract them at the same time. You can also use it to combo with fields, I use it on my Chaos Storm every time I drop it for a free Chaos Armor and if a teammate uses an ability that makes them leap in or out of it, they get Chaos Armor too :) Staff clones are also the most useful clones we have as the staff 1 skill causes conditions which allows the weak clones to stack conditions on an enemy and with you doing the same, it will build quickly and then you drop my friend the iWarlock who will hit like a tank. The more conditions/stacks of conditions on an enemy, the more damage iWarlock does. They work very well together.

GS is your other great ranged option and I'm sure you are familiar with it's abilities since that's the other main weapon you seem to be using. Most Mesmers seem to roll around with sword/focus, sword/sword, or sword/pistol and GS as this gives them a very offensive setup, constantly doing high damage. The iBerserker can hit like a tank! Only problem is he flies all over the place ha GS has nice variety and gives you really nice damage from ranged to balance out the melee options so a great combo. I don't think you can go wrong with either option, just different play styles. If you have sharper images and a sigil that causes a condition on crit, you can really stack the conditions for iWarlock to hit hard quickly. GS is more about raw damage.

For your play style, just keep track of how often you use shatter. That one thing will show you if shatter or phantasm is more your speed but you made need to wait for traits to see what phantasms can do before you make the ultimate decision. Not that you can't just re-trait anyway which even at lvl 80 is just 3 silver and like someone said, you will have to re-trait for each trait book you buy so you'll get two more free re-specs. One other thing to consider is if you love spreading conditions more so than standard damage output. You can make a build that focuses on conditioning enemies and disappearing into the shadows, just very elusive instead of high damage dealing. I've heard it's a blast to play in WvW, drives other players batty. Forgot to mention that utility skill, Veil that makes you go invisible which is obviously very useful for avoiding enemies when your running past trash mobs or also to break aggro if you're being chased. Mix that with the elite Mass Invisibility and you can be invis for a decent duration. I want to say Decoy makes you invis as well and creates a clone. So plenty of ways you can go with your build!

Never was a fan of TA in the early days, but I've recently ran all 3 paths pretty easily.

Path 1 (Up) is easily farmable with skippable mobs and a final boss you can just range without getting hit.

Proven

Since I'm guessing you guys haven't heard yet:

http://www.reddit.com/r/gw2esports/comments/1e07b8/9_hours_from_now_soactowerdivetv_will_host_a/

There's a gimmick tournament about to start. Eight teams, each featuring all five players using one of the eight professions. I have a feeling there will be a bit of a trainwreck coming from this format, but let's see how it goes.

The two twitch pages streaming the event are http://www.twitch.tv/soacgaming and http://www.twitch.tv/towerdivetv

Only towerdive seems to be up right now though...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom