• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Achtius

wow =/

so much new items

also just completed colossus rumblus with thinfinn, grank kark, neogeo and forkball

nice job everyone :D

I am never doing that path again

Kingbrave

It was fun running AC explore with gaffers, sorry I suck so bad. At least I know what to expect next time. Id like to run some more with you guys but I need a nap!

Hi guys.. . I really really want to play this game but I don't have a PC

I'd love to play it on high-res to enjoy it, so is there a cheap and easy way to put my hands on a decent PC that's capable of running it?

I know this might be off-topic so can you please PM me some useful link? I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance :)

Levyne

Banned
Hi guys.. . I really really want to play this game but I don't have a PC

I'd love to play it on high-res to enjoy it, so is there a cheap and easy way to put my hands on a decent PC that's capable of running it?

I know this might be off-topic so can you please PM me some useful link? I would really appreciate it

Thanks in advance :)

You should probably check out the pc building thread for specifics.

I run the game at ~35 fps on a laptop with a i7-6750m (something like that) and a 555m gpu. If you go the laptop route, you could check here

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It was fun running AC explore with gaffers, sorry I suck so bad. At least I know what to expect next time. Id like to run some more with you guys but I need a nap!
Every single group in any dungeon- literally even single one- that I've run with a GAF guild team has been a lot of fun with the exception of a small number of times they bugged out on us and killed the momentum (not due to any guildie's actions). Don't worry about sucking or not having done a run before. Everyone tends to be really patient and eager to help and everybody has to do a path for the first time once!

Really, can't say enough how impressed I am with our guild runs so far. Even the most brutally long trial-and-error runs when we're all doing it for the first time have been fun-- though we need to not START these at 1am anymore ;)

This is in contrast to PUG groups which have ranged from surprisingly fun and decent to skull-bashingly frustrating and in the most recent case, screwing me out of any reward while giving the advice "we need to do more damage and stop dying so much" during a boss fight :p

damn i HATE some of those skill point placements...

I mean for instance in Brisban Wildlands, the lower western skill points, one is in an inquest fortress FULL of patroling and respawning inquest mobs of course, so it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to even get there by yourself unless a group of other players is nearby :(

Levyne

Banned
Every single group in any dungeon- literally even single one- that I've run with a GAF guild team has been a lot of fun with the exception of a small number of times they bugged out on us and killed the momentum (not due to any guildie's actions). Don't worry about sucking or not having done a run before. Everyone tends to be really patient and eager to help and everybody has to do a path for the first time once!

Really, can't say enough how impressed I am with our guild runs so far. Even the most brutally long trial-and-error runs when we're all doing it for the first time have been fun-- though we need to not START these at 1am anymore ;)

This is in contrast to PUG groups which have ranged from surprisingly fun and decent to skull-bashingly frustrating and in the most recent case, screwing me out of any reward while giving the advice "we need to do more damage and stop dying so much" during a boss fight :p

I agree. That CoE story group I did with gaffers had us wipe maybe 4 times but being patient and trying to learn from your mistakes with guildies is SO much better than puggers going OMG y r u so noob.

Achtius

ghostlytonic.png

I know this is a ghastly tonic, but is there any heavy armor that looks like this?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
damn i HATE some of those skill point placements...

I mean for instance in Brisban Wildlands, the lower western skill points, one is in an inquest fortress FULL of patroling and respawning inquest mobs of course, so it's pretty much IMPOSSIBLE to even get there by yourself unless a group of other players is nearby :(
I think you're referring to this one...
Was fun stuff with my 80 character, but I can imagine if you were lower level it'd be frustrating.

I think you're referring to this one...

Was fun stuff with my 80 character, but I can imagine if you were lower level it'd be frustrating.

I can't even TELL if that's the one since i always got my ass handed to me on the way IN there lol ;) doesn't that bug you though that you are working on a map completion and ALL that is missing is like one skill point or whatever and you gotta abandon ship till 80 :(

fmpanda

I agree. That CoE story group I did with gaffers had us wipe maybe 4 times but being patient and trying to learn from your mistakes with guildies is SO much better than puggers going OMG y r u so noob.

I'll second that bit. First time I ran AC story with random folks, we died a ton leading to a couple of peeps rage quitting out of there. When I ran it with GAFfers, we died a ton, but everybody was chill which made things a lot faster and we beat Story Mode. I just have to break down and set up Mumble now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I can't even TELL if that's the one since i always got my ass handed to me on the way IN there lol ;) doesn't that bug you though that you are working on a map completion and ALL that is missing is like one skill point or whatever and you gotta abandon ship till 80 :(
Well, in the case of a bunch of people at the Guild Mobbing event that didn't have it yet, they were getting it at levels 15-80, we just had a lot of people around.

How come you're not interested in joining the guild? It's great to have people available to help out with stuff like that.

Per your question you can, on the contacts menu, set your status to Looking for Group and see anyone on the map who is doing the same (second tab).
I just have to break down and set up Mumble now.
It makes all the difference in the world really. Even if you don't have a mic, I emplore everyone to get set up in our Mumble channel to be able to hear whoever is leading the run. :)

My dog just broke my mic yesterday. I feel silenced :'(

Levyne

Banned
I'll second that bit. First time I ran AC story with random folks, we died a ton leading to a couple of peeps rage quitting out of there. When I ran it with GAFfers, we died a ton, but everybody was chill which made things a lot faster and we beat Story Mode. I just have to break down and set up Mumble now.

For what it's worth, AC story is still one of the very hardest I've done. It's either the hardest or second hardest story dungeon (SE being the other contender)

Well, in the case of a bunch of people at the Guild Mobbing event that didn't have it yet, they were getting it at levels 15-80, we just had a lot of people around.

How come you're not interested in joining the guild? It's great to have people available to help out with stuff like that.

Per your question you can, on the contacts menu, set your status to Looking for Group and see anyone on the map who is doing the same (second tab).

neat, thanks for the info...

As for a guild, firstly i am on an EU server and second i am kinda playing this game with my wife and she'd probably get mad at me if i kept running events with guildies instead of her, and she won't join... we also don't have time to play that much so we're cool with this casual pace i guess!

For what it's worth, AC story is still one of the very hardest I've done. It's either the hardest or second hardest story dungeon (SE being the other contender)

What kinda level do you recommend for the AC story one then? I know that the game scales but still... don't wanna walk into a slaughterhouse once i hit 30 on my Ele :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
AC Story is TOTALLY doable at 30. More important than your level is that you have decent gear at your level- and more important than that is that you have a competent team that communicates well.

I ran story with somebody on Tuesday I think it was and man is it wild how easy it feels now. My first time in AC Story was a really useful wake-up call for me regarding the level of play required in dungeons. Hundreds of explorable mode tokens later, it's amazing how far toward the low end of the challenge spectrum that really was.

Levyne

Banned
What kinda level do you recommend for the AC story one then? I know that the game scales but still... don't wanna walk into a slaughterhouse once i hit 30 on my Ele :(

Well, if you go in with a team that let's you know the strategy (specifically for the "lovers" boss), you should be fine at any level. But yeah, it would get easier if you went in with a higher level and better traits, etc.

Hmm i assume you really need to know how to play your class well too right? We shall see how badly i get owned once i get there, but then it also depends on the skill of the other players so...

I've done AC story twice in the past week with random PUGs between lvls 32 - 37 and completed both times without too much trouble.

The difficulty spike between zones and dungeons is huge but if you end up with a decent group you should be fine. Last night the 5 of us were between lvls 30 - 40 and we steam rolled the whole thing without too much trouble. Was a pleasant surprise tbh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm i assume you really need to know how to play your class well too right? We shall see how badly i get owned once i get there, but then it also depends on the skill of the other players so...
5 people knowing their class builds very well will do much better than a group that doesn't, but a patient and communicative group can make up for those deficiencies too. Actually, it's a good way to test how effective you really are at the point you're at in your character, and learn what it'll benefit you the most to improve.

Otheradam

I did AC story a few days ago with a bunch of gaffers and I didn't find it to be too difficult, certainly not to the level of learning a new dungeon in vanilla WoW. You just need to pay attention and use common sense for the most party. The most difficult part I would say is the lovers but that's only if you have someone who's doing a bad job at throwing rocks.

Forkball

Yeah the dungeon run was intense. Pretty funny how we were ready to quit, but we decided to do the stupid burrows part one more time and passed it with ease.

I've had it with leatherworking. I sold all my mats for 1.5 gold. I am only at about level 130 and will never get to 400, it's just not worth it for me. I bought a Whispers hood with my profit, a great trade. Now my backpack and bank is really free, so no more juggling items.

I've been looking at some of the unique gear, and some of it is pretty cool. The T2 and T3 human armor looks interesting for medium gear, as do a few dungeons. I'm not sure if I'm to to running a dungeon ten or so times to get one piece of armor though.

I do think this game has a fairly weak endgame. I mean it's sort of different since its F2P after purchase, so I can't really complain about getting so many hours out of the game already, but it kind of drops off once you hit 80. I want to invest more time in WvW, but that is a major money sink.

Where do you guys see all the dungeon gear in game? Is there a place where I can look?

EDIT: To look in the game, not at a website for clarification.

I've had it with leatherworking. I sold all my mats for 1.5 gold. I am only at about level 130 and will never get to 400, it's just not worth it for me. I bought a Whispers hood with my profit, a great trade. Now my backpack and bank is really free, so no more juggling items.

For what it's worth, I felt like leatherworking went a lot smoother after about ~150 or so. The initial levels are a bit of a slog since you don't have as many options and the low-level materials are pretty pricey, but once you push into the next level of materials, it opens up more. Just make sure you're discovering new recipes as much as possible, and salvaging the junk medium armor you find really helps with material collection.

It's still kind of a gold sink and probably not worth it unless you're going for the crafted exotics or legendaries, though.

Vossler

I agree, I'm only at level 45ish in leatherworking, but I sailed through jewelcrafting. SItting at 360 in that, I think. Gonna hunker down next week and work on leathermaking, so I can craft my own armor.....just is taking a while to level up.

I agree, I'm only at level 45ish in leatherworking, but I sailed through jewelcrafting. SItting at 360 in that, I think. Gonna hunker down next week and work on leathermaking, so I can craft my own armor.....just is taking a while to level up.

What was the key to quickly leveling jeweler? Did you just have tons of ore before you began? I just started prepping for it and I had barely any of the low lvl ores, but tons of the high lvl. I've been farming copper in the Charr starter area.

Vossler

What was the key to quickly leveling jeweler? Did you just have tons of ore before you began? I just started prepping for it and I had barely any of the low lvl ores, but tons of the high lvl. I've been farming copper in the Charr starter area.

What I did was gather as much ore, while not going out of my way really. If I didn't have enough, just bought from the TP. The key is to make sure that you have the correct gems with which to discover. For the copper range, I believe it was pebbles. Then, you need to refine into ingots, and then make discoveries. Basically I did something like this:

Refine into ingots until no more XP for refinement
Craft Settings and Hooks --->discover earrings with all the different gems
Craft Setting and Bands ---->discover rings with gems
Craft filagrees------>discover Jewels
Discover masterwork rings/earrings/amulets
If needed, transmogrify gems for next tier

Rinse and repeat for each tier.

Basically what I did.

What I did was gather as much ore, while not going out of my way really. If I didn't have enough, just bought from the TP. The key is to make sure that you have the correct gems with which to discover. For the copper range, I believe it was pebbles. Then, you need to refine into ingots, and then make discoveries. Basically I did something like this:

Refine into ingots until no more XP for refinement
Craft Settings and Hooks --->discover earrings with all the different gems
Craft Setting and Bands ---->discover rings with gems
Craft filagrees------>discover Jewels
Discover masterwork rings/earrings/amulets
If needed, transmogrify gems for next tier

Rinse and repeat for each tier.

Basically what I did.

I'm not sure why I hit up so few of nodes in the early zones, maybe I didn't buy a pick early enough. I've done a lot more high lvl zones though and that's part of it. I needed pebbles badly too but clearing the starter charr area has given me tons of copper and a whole bunch of pebbles, hopefully enough when I head back to a crafting station. That would be real nice if I have leftover pebbles to upgrade to second tier when I get past the first. I'm equally low on Silver as I was Copper so I'll have to clear a second level zone next. I blew 2G or so mastering Tailoring and am hoping to avoid blowing a bunch of money on Jeweler crafting. I don't mind farming nodes anywhere near as much as hoping a enemy drops what I need. At least I know I'll get what I need from nodes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Jeweling essentially opens up after level 50. It took me longer to get to level 50 than it did to get from 50-250.

Jeweling essentially opens up after level 50. It took me longer to get to level 50 than it did to get from 50-250.

Yeah it will get easy once I get past the first few ores. I have tons of Platinum and Mithril up the ass. I just didn't have copper and still have squat for silver. My gold ores aren't too high either...need to start clearing these low lvl zones. The gems could be a problem though, hope they aren't too expensive on TP if I don't get enough while farming ores.

Vossler

Yeah it will get easy once I get past the first few ores. I have tons of Platinum and Mithril up the ass. I just didn't have copper and still have squat for silver. My gold ores aren't too high either...need to start clearing these low lvl zones. The gems could be a problem though, hope they aren't too expensive on TP if I don't get enough while farming ores.

They really arent that expensive at all. As long as you mine while playing, I think I only had to buy 15-20ish total while leveling to 360....the rest I mined/transmogrified.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom