• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashodin

Man whoever wrote that little lore bit is in love with Kasmeer.

scott-mcgough.jpg

Picture of Scott McGough

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Exhale everybody.

Hahahaha..

I logged in and was defeated within 2 seconds by a Vet karka. I feel like I spawned INTO it, Ander-style.

MUAHAHAHA SCRAMBLE TO GET YOUR DAILIES CRETINS

edit: Ooooh it was the Veteran Hive Defender. Not kidding around, that thing.

Mxrz

People in Kamadan were bitching too much. I bolted and tried to remember how to play an assassin. fail, fail, fail!

I was about to ask if a friend could get an invite, then I remembered. derp. Surprised this is taking this long. In 8 years, GW1 was rarely down for more than a few minutes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People in Kamadan were bitching too much. I bolted and tried to remember how to play an assassin. fail, fail, fail!

I was about to ask if a friend could get an invite, then I remembered. derp. Surprised this is taking this long. In 8 years, GW1 was rarely down for more than a few minutes.
*took

Complistic

I can't wait for the culling update to come out. In the brief minutes I was playing gw1 that was really the biggest thing that stood out. I could see people more than 30 feet away from me. ZOMG>

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Going to get some ice cream with wife, and then...

Guild Wars 2

I expect to see some of you and (hopefully) get back into the guild. :p

Jira

Wait why? Season 1 of the Wire and Season 1 of Breaking Bad were both awesome (that's all I've seen of each)

Game of Thrones I haven't given much of a fair shake.

That must be rectified. The Wire is quite possibly the greatest TV show ever created. I don't think anyone who has seen it would even bother debating that. Breaking Bad is probably number 2 at the moment.

Wow ... now that I have the flower-backpack I can just hear my Ele SCREAMING at me to finally give her culture armor to go with it! It just makes so much sense ...

But culture armor cost so much! :/
Good thing that I only plan to use T2 and T1 armor and Transmute that onto some awesome armor set I haven't decided on yet (I pretty much only run in my MF set sooo IDK what I should do with the transmutations. Transmute my MF set or wait until I decide on which armor is best for power/ dungeon play and transmute THAT?)

Retro

So for people just getting back on and trying to rush their dailies; Craft 10 items, head to where Wurm spawns in Maguuma and kill the Veteran Oakhearts, then butcher everything in your path while you gather. If you don't level, quickly create a new character and you should get a level by the end of the tutorial.

I did this last night to hammer it out in 13 mins.

Quick question guys! If I want to buy a copy for a friend, what's the best way to go about it? I see that I can put his email when entering the purchase information, but will that allow him to see any of my credit card information anywhere? Will there be confusion with the email not lining up with my other information as I've already purchased the game for myself? Or should I just buy it and have it sent to me and then shoot him the code? Can he choose his email to associate with it at that point? Or would Anet get suspicious and suspend the account since it's not the email address that made the purchase? Guess that was a multitude of questions haha but any help would be much appreciated!

Retro

A quick look at the GW2 forums seems to imply that gifting copies to people is against the End User agreement... but I can't see any reason why you couldn't buy the game yourself, give him the code and have him change the login/password. I don't know if that will trigger any red flags, but you could always explain it to the support tech should anything happen.

One person recommended printing a copy of the code, so you have a record that you 'own' that copy of the game.

Make sure he joins at night, when servers are less likely to be full.

That's all I've got.

Wow that's crazy that they discourage buying the game as a gift...

I would do Amazon but I wanted to do the digital copy and then he'd have it right away but I don't think you can gift digital downloads from what I can tell. Guess I should just take my chances with buying it and sending him the code.

Ashodin

Glad to see the Faren love. Sorry he's not everybody's cup of tea, but he's one of our favorites to write (and a fave of the voice actor Yuri Lowenthal, who supplies Faren's dulcet tones).

Lady Kasmeer is a brand new character who is making her extended cameo debut in the Secret of Southsun. We will see more of her in future releases (or, I should say, we'll spend more time with her but see less of her, as she won't always be wearing her beach gear).

Scott McGough let the cat out of the bag. Kasmeer is definitely a future Destiny's New Edge member.

Wallach

Braham shouldn't be allowed into this new superhero group until he cuts his damn hair. What is that anyway, that's not what goes on peoples' heads.

Proven

One thing that I still need to repeat: the particle effects aren't something that's just anti-viewer. It's anti-player, and creates a real smokescreen effect for all involved. This is something I don't think is inherently a bad thing. Focus on the player that camera is following, and the player himself is making judgement calls over what he thinks is happening where if he's wrong, he melts. You will always see players moving into a position of less noise around the direct vicinity of their character, especially since noise that isn't spawned from their character is usually noise that's trying to kill them.

I want to break down the rest, but I feel like anything I put down will come off as a biased opinion of someone who already plays GW2 sPvP and knows what to look for.

One thing that I still need to repeat: the particle effects aren't something that's just anti-viewer. It's anti-player, and creates a real smokescreen effect for all involved. This is something I don't think is inherently a bad thing. Focus on the player that camera is following, and the player himself is making judgement calls over what he thinks is happening where if he's wrong, he melts. You will always see players moving into a position of less noise around the direct vicinity of their character, especially since noise that isn't spawned from their character is usually noise that's trying to kill them.

I want to break down the rest, but I feel like anything I put down will come off as a biased opinion of someone who already plays GW2 sPvP and knows what to look for.

The two biggest negative issues I can see are:

1) For a Melee player getting rained on from afar in a group fight the particle effects blind what others are doing in Melee range. It blocks equally but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. In inherently encourages Melee's going Bunker and Ranged doing all the killing since the gamemode requires that someone needs to stand on the node to prevent or cause a flip.

2) It's incredibly confusing to a viewer. You can't tell who is throwing what AoE out there and you'd only be able to learn what was a good decision and what was a bad decision after watching a LOT and even then you fully won't understand without playing yourself. It makes it counter productive for streaming and building a fanbase of non or casual players.

Proven

The two biggest negative issues I can see are:

1) For a Melee player getting rained on from afar in a group fight the particle effects blind what others are doing in Melee range. It blocks equally but that doesn't mean it's a good thing. In inherently encourages Melee's going Bunker and Ranged doing all the killing since the gamemode requires that someone needs to stand on the node to prevent or cause a flip.

2) It's incredibly confusing to a viewer. You can't tell who is throwing what AoE out there and you'd only be able to learn what was a good decision and what was a bad decision after watching a LOT and even then you fully won't understand without playing yourself. It makes it counter productive for streaming and building a fanbase of non or casual players.

1) It's not the particle effects blinding that make people go bunker. It's the particle effects also being equivalent to instant death that force people to go bunker. There's so much damage ranged can do that you need to have someone with the toughness and healing/damage mitigation to stay on the point. Hell, I'm still of the opinion that there's too much damage to this game period. I'll also add that more and more teams are running on average two members with ranged revive utility skills for this reason.

2) This is what casters are for. For a more concrete example, I don't play LoL or DotA 2, but recently I've been making an effort to watch games on twitch. When team fights start, while there are less effects, I still have no idea what is happening except in retrospect. Some guy might get close and do some burst, but that's the same in GW2. Some ranged guy might have done the killing blow with some skill shot, but in GW2 most of that stuff comes with some kind of projectile effect to follow, from fireballs to arrows. In the case of just ground targetted AoEs appearing, you're able to just link it to a specific class most times, and most teams don't run multiples of a class.

And even with all of that, much of my knowledge of what happened in a given fight in LoL/DotA 2 is filled in by the casters going on and on over what just happened.

1) It's not the particle effects blinding that make people go bunker. It's the particle effects also being equivalent to instant death that force people to go bunker. There's so much damage ranged can do that you need to have someone with the toughness and healing/damage mitigation to stay on the point. Hell, I'm still of the opinion that there's too much damage to this game period. I'll also add that more and more teams are running on average two members with ranged revive utility skills for this reason.

2) This is what casters are for. For a more concrete example, I don't play LoL or DotA 2, but recently I've been making an effort to watch games on twitch. When team fights start, while there are less effects, I still have no idea what is happening except in retrospect. Some guy might get close and do some burst, but that's the same in GW2. Some ranged guy might have done the killing blow with some skill shot, but in GW2 most of that stuff comes with some kind of projectile effect to follow, from fireballs to arrows. In the case of just ground targetted AoEs appearing, you're able to just link it to a specific class most times, and most teams don't run multiples of a class.

And even with all of that, much of my knowledge of what happened in a given fight in LoL/DotA 2 is filled in by the casters going on and on over what just happened.

I wasn't saying that the particle effects is what makes people go Bunker but it does encourage it. Or reinforce it rather. So the goal for those bunker players really isn't so much about damage or even support but just standing there and taking it longer than the other guy. To be a non-bunker Melee on the node in a teamfight is pretty much asking for death and that is extremely limiting. I agree that the damage needs to be scaled back in general but specifically the AoE damage needs to be toned down a LOT. Likewise Bunkers survivability needs to be scaled back as well. Less extremes and longer fights would be easier to follow and build more tension.

Even a skilled caster can't express what field is from who and what it does to a new viewer.. least of all in the span of a few seconds when teams spike a player. Dota and LoL both not only have fewer skills but the skills animations are unique to each hero and many of them have a line of travel. IN GW2, however when you have a 2 rangers (opposing teams) and a thief and a poison aoe shows up, there's no visual indicator as to who it belongs to. Add in weapon swaps and it becomes less clear. Throw an Ele and a Guardian in the mix with their various AoE and it becomes damn near impossible to tell what's even up let alone who cast it. When you're watching MOBA's you may not know what the skill is, but you can much more easily see and understand who used it.

I do think that you're over estimating the ease of understanding due to your experience and you're over estimating the ability for a new or non-player to understand what's going on as it's happening. I mean watch some of the shoutcasted matches and Caster's who've been playing the game since launch have trouble calling out the action quickly and accurately.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I tried to get back on last night, but we ended up packing up a box and falling asleep. Nonetheless, last night was a blast. Southsun was a lot more fun with a group, and seeing all the cool new things made it worthwhile!

Noctix

Hi Guys,
So I just bought Guild Wars 2 like literally now. Downloading it. Any tips for a newbie? What class should I start with. Always played a tanking class in wow.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom