• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Hi Guys,
So I just bought Guild Wars 2 like literally now. Downloading it. Any tips for a newbie? What class should I start with. Always played a tanking class in wow.

Yeah, play whatever sounds fun. There are no roles - each class is equally as viable. Dive in and explore and let the game teach you as you go.

Lunar15

Scott McGough let the cat out of the bag. Kasmeer is definitely a future Destiny's New Edge member.

I knew that was Yuri Lowenthal. He's in everything, along with Troy Baker. Is Lauren Bailey in this too? If so, it's just one big Bishock Infinite/Persona 4 reunion.

EDIT: Laura, dammit.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hi Guys,
So I just bought Guild Wars 2 like literally now. Downloading it. Any tips for a newbie? What class should I start with. Always played a tanking class in wow.
Where's that awesome newbie manual from Retro... I'll have a looksee. edit: i canna find. what's wrong with meeee?

Start with the class that sounds interesting to you. "Tanking" in the traditional MMO sense is not an effective tactic for any GW2 class. :)

I tried to get back on last night, but we ended up packing up a box and falling asleep. Nonetheless, last night was a blast. Southsun was a lot more fun with a group, and seeing all the cool new things made it worthwhile!
I ended up having some bad lag issues and I'm really getting sick of this laptop and didn't stay on that much longer anyway... but Complistic and Kos took me around to get the samples I was missing, so I basically know where all of them are now if you want a guided tour!

Had quite a lot of fun just running around in those little groups though, and made a healthy bit of coin as a Consortium spy, too. Really sorry that I was multitasking so much of the time at the beginning (in an officer meeting on mumble, but had to use the Mumble app on my phone, so juggling gamepad and phone.... whee).

----

Our officers' meeting was very productive by the way. I'll be making a substantial post about our new schedule and policies soon (almost definitely today), to go into effect on Monday. Tonight will be the last time guild missions/makeups are ever held on a Friday (to accomodate people who may have already been planning on it this week). WvW-heads rejoice!

Lunar15

Every game is.

Yeah. It's actually kind of concerning. I wish there were more notable VA's. Kinda takes you out of the experience once you start attributing these guys to one performance that stuck out to you.

I never really took note of anyone until P4, so now it's like I see those characters in each subsequent game their VA is in.

How many bars gotta be filled to be officer.

Are you collecting enough Pun Tokens? It's the new currency.

Jira

Hi Guys,

Tanking doesn't exist in GW2 like other MMOs, there's zero taunts in the game. Every class can assume any role, nothing is locked down and can be changed at will via changing your weapons, traits, utilities, or gear. You kinda "tank" by putting yourself in front of attacks and using block skills or projectile reflect skills or knocking mobs back. There are absolutely no ways to guarantee that you have threat, it's up to everyone to be paying attention. Post your account name (name.1234 thing) and we'll throw you a guild invite so you can have help because this game is very different from other MMOs. Also, be sure to roll on Stormbluff Isle if you're in North America.

1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.

- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.

2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.

- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.

3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.

- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.

10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, Professor Retro, Wallach or Arken Elric. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

Credit to Retro for the quoted.

Reknoc

Yeah. It's actually kind of concerning. I wish there were more notable VA's. Kinda takes you out of the experience once you start attributing these guys to one performance that stuck out to you.

I never really took note of anyone until P4, so now it's like I see those characters in each subsequent game their VA is in.

Yea, though I certainly wouldn't mind if every game had Liam O'Brien in.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I ended up having some bad lag issues and I'm really getting sick of this laptop and didn't stay on that much longer anyway... but Complistic and Kos took me around to get the samples I was missing, so I basically know where all of them are now if you want a guided tour!

Had quite a lot of fun just running around in those little groups though, and made a healthy bit of coin as a Consortium spy, too. Really sorry that I was multitasking so much of the time at the beginning (in an officer meeting on mumble, but had to use the Mumble app on my phone, so juggling gamepad and phone.... whee).

I figure you were having issues. I would love a guided a tour when time permits!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
damn son I just saw this post on the uber-magical finding setup from somebody on reddit:
6x Armor (Explorer or equivalent) 18%
5x superior Pirate rune + 1x superior traveller 60%
The golden lotus Amulet with Magical Infusion. 30%
Yakkington's Ring 10%
Snaff's Gyre 10%
x2 Opal Orichalcum Earring of the Explorer with Exquisite Opal Jewel for 14%
Any level 80 weapon with Superior Sigil of Luck for 15% sigil at 25 stacks of luck
Switch to dual axe once stacks of luck up for 12%
Wayfarer's Spineguard with crest of traveler 6%
Some MF food 29% (forget name)
Guild MF banner 10%
Guild MF boost 72 hours 10%
MF booster 50%
Laurel MF booster 30%
+200% Southsun boost
Total: 504%
Holy hell, it's over 500! Probably really not worth the trouble but hey if you're dead set on getting crates from drops!

I'd like to bring up a proposal to ANET for a system they can add for Ascended rings you get as drops in Fractals. I now have two that contain stats I will never want for any toon I create and I can't sell them so they are literally worthless. Now I understand not selling them because everyone could just buy them without doing any work. What I'd propose is adding a trade option through the fractal merchant that lets you trade a ring for one of equivalent value stat wise. Every other weapon, armor, or accessory holds some value if you don't want it whether it be selling it, using it for a skin, or salvaging it for rune/sigil/ecto. These rings do none of that. I imagine you can salvage them for mithril or orich and maybe even ecto but that's a laughable action with something that should be so valuable. Give me something to do with these rings please, Anet! #first world problems

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'd like to bring up a proposal to ANET for a system they can add for Ascended rings you get as drops in Fractals. I now have two that contain stats I will never want for any toon I create and I can't sell them so they are literally worthless. Now I understand not selling them because everyone could just buy them without doing any work. What I'd propose is adding a trade option through the fractal merchant that lets you trade a ring for one of equivalent value stat wise. Every other weapon, armor, or accessory holds some value if you don't want it whether it be selling it, using it for a skin, or salvaging it for rune/sigil/ecto. These rings do none of that. I imagine you can salvage them for mithril or orich and maybe even ecto but that's a laughable action with something that should be so valuable. Give me something to do with these rings please, Anet! #first world problems
Everyone wants there to be something to do with spare Ascended Rings (a complaint I once found ridiculous I am now guilty of myself). Your idea is as good as any!

Really, if nothing else you should be able to toss four in the forge for a random one, but you can't even do that!

I just can't seem to get into the Southsun stuff. I log in and try to do more living story and then I just end up logging out after 15 or so minutes. The thing is I wan't those items and titles but I am not having fun with it and so I actually log out instead of leaving Southsun and doing my dailies or working on finishing the monthly or even playing an alt. I know its supposed to be good but yeah, its just not grabbing me.

I'm skeptical on the stacking of MF booster with Laurel MF booster. I've only seen two types of "booster" that allow for stacking and that's the Banner style and the shop style. MF Bonfires and BLT MF Boosters use the same icon and don't stack. Unless the Laurel booster uses a third kind of Icon that I'm unaware of, it probably doesn't stack.

Levyne

Banned
I'm not surprised that it stacks. It's a 30% boost on its own, with nothing else in game identical (to my knowledge). Bonfires and TP boosts are the same buff.

Ashodin

we're up all night to get lucky

in Southsun!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I just can't seem to get into the Southsun stuff. I log in and try to do more living story and then I just end up logging out after 15 or so minutes. The thing is I wan't those items and titles but I am not having fun with it and so I actually log out instead of leaving Southsun and doing my dailies or working on finishing the monthly or even playing an alt. I know its supposed to be good but yeah, its just not grabbing me.
If you literally just want the skins, everything needed to complete them can be completed in under an hour total. Here is a 30-minute video guide to getting them all. Why not do 10-minutes of it at the very end of your play session over the course of a week or so? Then you will spend the vast majority of the time you're playing having fun and still get the stuff you want with a minimum of doing stuff you don't.

thus far I've rarely had a reason to leave Southsun to be able to complete my daily :p
I'm skeptical on the stacking of MF booster with Laurel MF booster. I've only seen two types of "booster" that allow for stacking and that's the Banner style and the shop style. MF Bonfires and BLT MF Boosters use the same icon and don't stack. Unless the Laurel booster uses a third kind of Icon that I'm unaware of, it probably doesn't stack.
It does have its own icon.

If you literally just want the skins, everything needed to complete them can be completed in under an hour total. Here is a 30-minute video guide to getting them all. Why not do 10-minutes of it at the very end of your play session over the course of a week or so? Then you will spend the vast majority of the time you're playing having fun and still get the stuff you want with a minimum of doing stuff you don't.

thus far I've rarely had a reason to leave Southsun to be able to complete my daily :p

As always you have sage like advice for me. Thanks Hawkian I will probably do just that.

nataku

http://www.guildwars.com/players/

Guild Wars Development and Automation
16 May 2013

It's hard to believe that there's been more than eight years of Guild Wars. So much has happened since our release in April of 2005: two additional campaigns, an expansion, two major live story arcs, new festivals, new content, countless new features, and quality-of-life improvements have been added to the game. The change has happened so naturally over time, it's hard to believe how stark the difference is between when the game first launched and how it stands on the live servers now.

Over time, our focus has shifted to updates that not only help maintain Guild Wars but help the game maintain itself. With this focus in mind, we'll no longer be releasing any new content for the live game except in support of automation. Our goal is to get the game to a place where it can continue to run and be available to all of our fans. We have a lot of love for Guild Wars—it's the game that made us what we are today—and we want to continue sharing it with everyone!

I want to make sure that players correctly understand our intentions behind these changes and the overall push for automation. As I've said, we want the game to be in a place where it's able to take care of itself. While we will not be producing new content, the Live Team will still be around to perform critical fixes for crashes or other serious issues. We want to support the players who made us successful by ensuring the game provides the best service possible without constant supervision and attention. Reducing the need for manual intervention makes it easier for us to keep Guild Wars running in the years to come.

Coming Changes

The first change is to our Automated Tournament System. Contrary to what the name might lead you to expect, it has not, in fact, been entirely automated. Guilds that won or placed in the Monthly Automated Tournaments would have to wait for one of the Live Team staff members to sync up with them in game, temporarily join their guild, assign the proper cape trim, and move on. The same held true for removing temporary trims that were only available for one month.

Recently, we amended distribution so that only the top guild participating in the MAT received the permanent gold trim, and other trims (including several new colors) could be purchased by saving up your winnings from placing in tournaments. There are two reasons that we made this change: the first was to adjust to the number of rewards being distributed relative to the number of players taking advantage of the ATs. Handing out many trims when there are fewer guilds in attendance ultimately devalues the trims themselves, and there isn't as much drive to be number one. The second reason is that this lets us better automate the system; the number one guild will automatically get their trim, without having to wait.

While we're on the subject of the Automated Tournaments, we'll also be adding another feature to help it live up to its namesake: map rotation will now also be automated. As with cape trims, this means you'll no longer have to wait for the new map selections to be decided upon and implemented. As soon as the list is needed, it will already be there. The selection of maps for the entire year's rotation will be created using the same algorithm that we've run by hand up until this point. That rotation will then be used for the years to come. Because the process to get to this point was largely the same, there should be no noticeable difference from a player's perspective except for improved timeliness of the rotation.

Next, we'll be making some changes to our weekend events. Specifically, these won't just be weekend events anymore, they'll run for an entire week on a completely automated schedule. This will be an incredible boon to folks who are still working on finishing out titles for their Hall of Monuments, as they'll no longer be constrained to packing as much play time as possible into just the weekend. Now everyone will have five extra days to take advantage of these bonuses.

You've already seen changes to support automation rolled out to our festival content, but to recap, major festivals now use tokens that players can redeem for one of the special items the event offers. Players are only allowed to choose one, but the choice allows newer players a chance to get items they otherwise never would have been able to and allows longtime players the opportunity to complete their collections. We'll be making changes along these lines to our remaining celebrations, so that the entire year's worth of festivals will run seamlessly.

In conjunction with this, we've also changed the distribution of birthday presents. Characters celebrating eight or more years in Tyria now get a token that they can then trade in for one of the gift boxes from any of the previous years. The distribution rates for the miniatures remain the same, but players can now target their favorite era every time a new year rolls around.

With these changes, Guild Wars will be more streamlined and self-supporting than ever, traits that will enable the game to be enjoyed for years to come.

A sad day. :(

Astra

I haven't played this in weeks. Friend I play with had to get his computer repaired, but it's back now and it's time to jump back in.
I wish we had more friends who played, as it gets kind of boring and repetitive with just the two of us. It'd be a lot more fun to have a larger party so we could tackle dungeons whenever, and big bad bosses.

We played a dungeon once with some gaffers, and it was great!

Ashodin

I haven't played this in weeks. Friend I play with had to get his computer repaired, but it's back now and it's time to jump back in.
I wish we had more friends who played, as it gets kind of boring and repetitive with just the two of us. It'd be a lot more fun to have a larger party so we could tackle dungeons whenever, and big bad bosses.

We played a dungeon once with some gaffers, and it was great!

Why are you not playing with the GAF guild? Come to Stormbluff Isle! :)

Astra

Why are you not playing with the GAF guild? Come to Stormbluff Isle! :)

I really want to! But I can't join on Friday and Saturday since I can't make it at those times.
Still, when we have a dungeon to do, we'll put the word here and see who wants to join us. :D

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
A sad day indeed, but some very clever ways around the potential abandonment problems games would ordinarily have in that vein.

The population spike the game got yesterday must have been hilarious...
I really want to! But I can't join on Friday and Saturday since I can't make it at those times.
Still, when we have a dungeon to do, we'll put the word here and see who wants to join us. :D
You my friend will be pleased to see the new schedule for stuff we're rolling out.

Ashodin

A sad day indeed, but some very clever ways around the potential abandonment problems games would ordinarily have in that vein.

The population spike the game got yesterday must have been hilarious...

You my friend will be pleased to see the new schedule for stuff we're rolling out.

INdeed. I'm waiting for Hawkian to make a sick infographic.

I had fun in GW1 during the downtime yesterday. Finally ding'd 20 on my Ele. I might actually spend some time doing the HoM stuff if I owned Eye of The North but alas, I do not. And they haven't dropped the price on that badboy down low enough for my tastes.

Ebris

Hey, question guys in regards to all that crazy MF business earlier. Does MF help you get rares and exotics more frequently, or is it only for blues and greens? Also, does anyone know how it affects crafting materials - many of them are consistently blue in rarity but can vary wildly in prices due to the crafting level.

Levyne

Banned
You get more of everything, basically. More t5 and t6 mats, more blues, greens, rare, exos, etc. At least that's my experience.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Haha, MF just actually affects where your rolls land on the table for drops from enemies (and ONLY drops from enemies, so far as we've been told).

So it's not related to whether or not you get a drop- that's a 1/x roll unrelated to magic find- but it applies to what the drop is. So you're more likely to get everything from an exotic or t6 mat on down than you were before, but should not appreciably be seeing a difference in the AMOUNT of loot you get.
500% MF and I bet he still gets no chest drops.
Well I've gotten two! I was able to get closish to 400 with raspberry peach bars and a full luck stack...

Honestly I thought it was pointless at first but I'm vastly preferring the gold find buff. I'm just not really interested in anything you get from the crates so it's easy for me not to care about finding boxes.
Ashodin said:
INdeed. I'm waiting for Hawkian to make a sick infographic.
I don't have access to photoshop and all my home goodies... but at least a very well-formatted post! :[

Wallach

Hey, question guys in regards to all that crazy MF business earlier. Does MF help you get rares and exotics more frequently, or is it only for blues and greens? Also, does anyone know how it affects crafting materials - many of them are consistently blue in rarity but can vary wildly in prices due to the crafting level.

The entire table shifts rolls, but remember this only applies to drops from kills. Magic find doesn't apply to items you loot from containers or rewards from missions (like opening the bonus chest on large group events or your daily rewards). Since it is possible to get rares and exotics from drops, you will get proportionally more by increasing your magic find.

Ashodin

How I envision it in my head is a Loot Table with various things on it. There are several "tiers" of the the table, which Magic Find "pushes" your drop into said "tier".

A normal player's tier without any MF would fall into a category similar to this:

Drop 1 - Gray
Drop 2 - Gray
Drop 3 - Blue
Drop 4 - Lower Tier Mat
Drop 5 - Gray

and so on. This would be called Tier 1.

If you put on say 100% MF, it pushes the rarity of items that drop into a second "tier", which increases the chance of the drop rolling on that tier's loot than before.

So "Tier 2" looks like this:

Drop 1 - Gray
Drop 2 - Blue
Drop 3 - Green
Drop 4 - Lower Tier Mat
Drop 5 - Gray

Drops are not entirely accurate with data, but you get the idea.

Chests in the game (specifically, the world event chests) are already "set" to a specific tier of loot, and is static with your chances to get anything on the tier of loot. It's probably set right about where you earn more greens than blues, but of course, you can "roll" all blues, all greens, or all rares (much more likely to roll all blues, however).

Back when they upped the rares from the chests and had them directly in it, it actually pushed the tier even FURTHER ahead to where getting multiple rares were much more guaranteed. ANet has since denied that this was the case, because why would they admit to such a thing? It would cause fans to be in uproar about the chest drop rates, and say they're deliberately tampering with the economy, which by all means they have every right to.

So when you roll to Southsun and you're rocking over 350% MF (what most people can achieve), you're pushing that "tier" of loot so high, I'm betting it's sitting right below high chances of rares. Remember, it's not a flat number of MF, but a percentage. It won't be the same as ANet manually adjusting the rate to drop at a static value.

With the chest at the end of the Lost Shores event, I'm fairly sure that box was tuned up to, let's say, Tier 5 of loot. This means everyone who opened the chest had a very high chance of getting an exotic (which is Tier 4), with a high chance of a precursor drop (which I imagine is the highest form of loot in the game). You'll never see a chest like that again, I'm certain.

I got the axe precursor and I should have kept it. My Ranger was a twinkle in my eye at the time though...

Proven

I wasn't saying that the particle effects is what makes people go Bunker but it does encourage it. Or reinforce it rather. So the goal for those bunker players really isn't so much about damage or even support but just standing there and taking it longer than the other guy. To be a non-bunker Melee on the node in a teamfight is pretty much asking for death and that is extremely limiting. I agree that the damage needs to be scaled back in general but specifically the AoE damage needs to be toned down a LOT. Likewise Bunkers survivability needs to be scaled back as well. Less extremes and longer fights would be easier to follow and build more tension.

Even a skilled caster can't express what field is from who and what it does to a new viewer.. least of all in the span of a few seconds when teams spike a player. Dota and LoL both not only have fewer skills but the skills animations are unique to each hero and many of them have a line of travel. IN GW2, however when you have a 2 rangers (opposing teams) and a thief and a poison aoe shows up, there's no visual indicator as to who it belongs to. Add in weapon swaps and it becomes less clear. Throw an Ele and a Guardian in the mix with their various AoE and it becomes damn near impossible to tell what's even up let alone who cast it. When you're watching MOBA's you may not know what the skill is, but you can much more easily see and understand who used it.

I do think that you're over estimating the ease of understanding due to your experience and you're over estimating the ability for a new or non-player to understand what's going on as it's happening. I mean watch some of the shoutcasted matches and Caster's who've been playing the game since launch have trouble calling out the action quickly and accurately.

No, you weren't saying that particle effects = death. I was saying that. I was saying that you're ignoring the fact that the particle effects also mean that you're getting hurt if you stand there. I was saying that because so much damage can be aimed at a point (which usually takes the form of crazy amounts of particle effects) bunkers exist.

As for the field, the nature of the field tells who it's from. If I see a poison trap go off, it's one of the rangers, but the Thief poison field is very distinct and the only other one that looks similar to it comes from two necro traits that no one uses and (I think) a rune set no one uses.

As for which team a given AoE belongs to, that I can agree with. What would need to happen is blue and red borders. For now, you generally tell which team launched it based on who takes damage standing in it. Yes, this means more figuring it out as/after the AoE goes off, rather than before it touches the ground, but...

Part of the issue is how fast everything is. And with more skills to work with, casters need some time to get up to speed. The best caster team from the last weekend of tournaments wasn't one that played GW2 much at all, so of course they needed to catch up. And then the caster team with the most knowledge weren't the best speakers.

And while I agree it is easier to tell in the MOBA's, it's still not easy, especially during team fights. I don't know who has what skills, so there are times when three or four guys mingle, and start going off on each other, and the only reason why I might be able tell what happened is because I saw those skills go off before. GW2 has a lot more skills per character, with faster animations, but I disagree that there aren't a deluge of unique effects. You can tell a lot from just a 1 on 1 fight.

To summarize,

There are a lot of effects, but those effects are there because they come from skills that do a lot of damage.

GW2 is fast, and with a lot of skills. I don't think it's impossible for a caster to keep their head on through all of it because there are a lot of unique things between classes. In your example, everything blue that comes out is the Guardian. Most of the other crazy effects will come from the D/D Ele. If a poison field shows up, the casters can easily say it's from the Thief on the side. Anything else will be a trap from one of the Rangers, or perhaps their torch AoE skill, which has an animation different from all the other class skills in play.

The problem is when both teams are running the same class and they clash during a team fight. That is a problem they absolutely will have to address. But for the most part, if I can parse what's going on, then a caster can. What's next is working on speed, or failing that, being able to breakdown what happened after the fact as quickly as possible. As it is right now, the casters are already able to call out when stomps are going down.

And I will say that I'm basing a lot of this from all of the special showmatches and demos they had for PvP before GW2 released. For the year up to release I loved watching these vids and figuring out the general gist of what was going on wasn't too hard.

Retro

Thanks for linking my "Beginners Tips" post, guys. I'll probably put that in the OT3 and clean it up a bit. Also, Hawkian, you need to get me a list of your awesome info posts so I can get them in there too. You only have 4000 more posts or so to do it.

Lauren or Laura? Laura Bailey is in this, as the human female voice.

Hmm? The Female Human Character VA is April Stewart. She's done the majority of the female characters on South Park since 2003. You can tell because the human female sounds like Cartman's Mom.

IMDB doesn't show anyone named Laura Bailey working on GW2, nor does she mention the game on her own site's full credits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom