• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taffer

I'm a UK player and I'm fine with the new schedule but I am a night owl and the UK isn't as far ahead as the rest of EU.

Had a lot of fun tonight in WvW. My first real taste of organised play on reset day. Thanks to Kvothe for commanding. Thanks to everyone else for the guild mission fun.

I'm well chuffed the Saturday mission binge is earlier, the old time meant the missions dragged on until about 5am. It's not a massive difference but it's enough for me.

Noctix

Tanking doesn't exist in GW2 like other MMOs, there's zero taunts in the game. Every class can assume any role, nothing is locked down and can be changed at will via changing your weapons, traits, utilities, or gear. You kinda "tank" by putting yourself in front of attacks and using block skills or projectile reflect skills or knocking mobs back. There are absolutely no ways to guarantee that you have threat, it's up to everyone to be paying attention. Post your account name (name.1234 thing) and we'll throw you a guild invite so you can have help because this game is very different from other MMOs. Also, be sure to roll on Stormbluff Isle if you're in North America.

Credit to Retro for the quoted.

Thank you soo much for the help. Sorry I didn't reply before. This game is amazing. It's like my early days of wow where it was about journey and discovering you new places. I am having a blast with this game. I made a mistake, I currently am in Australia but i rolled a toon on a non oceanic server. Got it to level 5 and realize bummer the only way to roll a toon on different server is by deleting all the toons on the current server. Anyways I did that and rerolled a guardian. I am on Isle of Jantir. Can I still be in the guild if I am on a different server?

Oh and my account name is devah.5246

Levyne

Banned
Yes you may. And there is a guesting system where you can come over to Stormbluff (where most of us are) whenever you want to do events or whatever. And dungeons are cross server anyways. The only thing you cannot do is join the world vs world fight for another server...for obvious reasons.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey welcome! And have an excellent voyage Ashodin. :)
jYF0fAClZVKEF.jpg
(All times in U.S. Eastern Time)

New schedule begins Monday, May 20th.

No more Guild Missions or Events on Friday. Guild Missions for comms still occur on Saturday, now at 9:00PM. General makeups/fun/some Trek or another on Sunday afternoon.

Commendation makeups for Puzzle/Bounty: Monday 9:00PM, Wednesday 6:30PM
Commendation makeups for Challenge/Rush: Tuesday 9:00PM, Thursday 6:30PM

"WvW Power Hour" immediately following scheduled Guild Missions. Friday is devoted to WvW with a scheduled event at reset (9:00PM). New guild rank for WvW-oriented players, Mist Warrior.

Teamspeak: ts3.stormblufisle.com

Buffs for Magic Find, Influence gain, Reduced Repair cost, Reduced Waypoint cost, +5 Supply in WvW, and potentially more are being enabled on a staggered weekly schedule.

One final note: culling of the guild roster will be taking place on Saturday, June 1st (two weeks from today). Just log in at some point before then.
For teh new page

Oh no, can you specify how the old schedule was superior with regard to EU times? I thought this had a good chance of being more convenient for everyone. I mean, all the stuff we had scheduled was very late EU times (9:00PM mostly). Was it just that we did the T3 bounty on Saturday afternoons? We won't need to get T3 bounties done anymore, so it would be no problem at all to do a T1 at at time that works for EU people. Otherwise there's nothing to worry about with people needing "everything" on the Sunday makeups. Anything we can do to try to make it work, we will!

Yes, on second thought, the old schedule wasn't particularly better; I was used to "Saturday afternoon" (EU night) being Guild mission time, but of course, there were already other timeslots we EU were missing. The new schedule means most EU people will miss on all slots except the Sunday afternoon one, but it's OK since it's the makeup slot, so we can catch up then. Again, expect us to ask for every type of guild mission :D. The good news is that this should concentrate the EU people at that time, so there should be quite some people to do stuff.

Only thing is, seems like EU WvW fans are a bit screwed, no? :D. I haven't touched WvW in months so it doesn't affect me at all, but maybesome other EU people will miss that. Eh, you can't please everybody.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I definitely understand that they're not ideal times for EU gaffers. The thing is, I made it things that fit into my schedule, because if need be I can ensure that I'm there almost always, if no one else will, to make sure we can go. If we had an EU officer interested in running stuff that could make such a commitment to off hours missions that would be great for our friends in those timezones. For now though, I have to work around US time :(

Mxrz

I ended up missing the stuff tonight due to unexpectedness. Going by that chart, it'll be happening again Monday night?

elazullizard

Neo Member
Guild missions were fun, thanks again guys!

Again, on behalf of Neko (Bhalazar), I am reposting his D/D Elementalist guide!

Here

MAYBE I WON'T MISS GUILD CHALLENGE AND PUZZLE TOMORROW ;_;

I definitely understand that they're not ideal times for EU gaffers. The thing is, I made it things that fit into my schedule, because if need be I can ensure that I'm there almost always, if no one else will, to make sure we can go. If we had an EU officer interested in running stuff that could make such a commitment to off hours missions that would be great for our friends in those timezones. For now though, I have to work around US time :(

It's a bit crazy that we don't have an EU officer, and I feel partly responsible for that :/. I swore off binding myself to online game "obligations", it's pretty much a life principle for me at this point.

Perhaps giving Guild Mission starting permissions to several trusted members would work, along with strict guidelines like "you can't start a guild mission unless there are X people that haven't done it yet". Then give a particular time when the preferred time for EU members is (say, Friday 20:00 GMT). That way, it's very likely that at least one member with permissions will be online at that hour, but if it so happens that there's nobody, it's not the end of the world.

I'm talking a bit out of my ass here, I have no clue whatsoever if that would work well. I'll try to think of other ways. Of course the best thing would be to have a committed EU officer, but... :/

Retro

Sorry I wasn't on for Missions last night. I need to respec to put a few points into Intestinal Fortitude. Gross.

I'm talking a bit out of my ass here, I have no clue whatsoever if that would work well. I'll try to think of other ways. Of course the best thing would be to have a committed EU officer, but... :/

You do know Officer duties are pretty easy, right? It is literally inviting people, whispering people when they say something that breaks GAF rules (usually people just slipping up and letting a homosexual slur out) and having a meeting about once a month to talk about stuff we can do to improve the guild. It's not at all as intense as other MMOs.

Occasionally we do run events / missions, but these are pretty laid back since Hawk / Ash usually like to manage them anyways. On the rare occasion where I had to handle it, it's pretty much "Okay, let's play this game we already know how to play, but in this direction over here". I was worried before launch too, since I've been forced into leading guilds in the past and hated it, but GW2 does so much for you already that the hard part is just deciding what to do when.

Nothing to it, and since you're on all the time you'd honestly be my first choice for an EU Officer. Something to think about?

I think you guys make it easier on yourselves as officers because you split duties so well.

Ash gets all the loot.
Hawk does all the organization.
Jira rigs the lottery.
Retro handles the Puns.
Katoki works the graveyard shift.
And Wallach just sits back and collects the proverbial paycheck.

;p

Retro

You know, you joke about that, but really, Ash and Hawk handle a lot of it. Most of the Officers just handle the more routine stuff like organizing officer meetings (I do this, most of the time), inviting people, etc. Answering questions and helping people out is the lion's share of the duties, and we do that a lot (though we enjoy it).

I was looking for some kind of event I could do that people would enjoy, but it ended up being pointless (the Lottery was better) and easy to cheat in (there's a subreddit full of exactly what we wanted you guys to send in).

Until Jepsen gets back in full capacity, I might start doing the jumping puzzle events again.

hythloday

I think you guys make it easier on yourselves as officers because you split duties so well.

Ash gets all the loot.
Jira rigs the lottery.
Retro handles the Puns.

;p

And I keep Retro in line!

Seriously he's pretty bad, you guys have no idea. You guys see "Retro-Lite" level puns sometimes.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks for leading tonight's guild missions despite your headache, Hawk.

It is much appreciated. :)
Thank you for coming and kicking ass!
I ended up missing the stuff tonight due to unexpectedness. Going by that chart, it'll be happening again Monday night?
A puzzle and bounty will, yes.
Guild missions were fun, thanks again guys!

Again, on behalf of Neko (Bhalazar), I am reposting his D/D Elementalist guide!

Here

MAYBE I WON'T MISS GUILD CHALLENGE AND PUZZLE TOMORROW ;_;
If you mean Monday night, Puzzle and Bounty are scheduled. If you meant today, technically nothing is scheduled, but if there is demand and on officer is on (I'm going to see Star Trek in a few hours) we could probably do something...
It's a bit crazy that we don't have an EU officer, and I feel partly responsible for that :/. I swore off binding myself to online game "obligations", it's pretty much a life principle for me at this point.

Perhaps giving Guild Mission starting permissions to several trusted members would work, along with strict guidelines like "you can't start a guild mission unless there are X people that haven't done it yet". Then give a particular time when the preferred time for EU members is (say, Friday 20:00 GMT). That way, it's very likely that at least one member with permissions will be online at that hour, but if it so happens that there's nobody, it's not the end of the world.

Guild access can't be assigned to certain individuals, everything is controlled by rank. I suppose that we could use the Remote Operator rank to designate this. Either way we'd need someone (or some people) to commit to starting things at 20:00GMT on Fridays, otherwise there won't be much help...
The guild stuff is a lot of fun. Well worth staying up until 5:30am for it lol.
Haha, we'll be beginning and hour and a half early from now on at least :p

I joke because I care. :D Seriously though you guys do a great job and we do see and appreciate the effort. Hell tonight Hawkian was under the weather and still put up with our madness on his own to make sure we got our Comms. Having the Mumble for us, The Guild Website, the plethora of information, immigrant fund, lotto, etc.. all of it is awesome stuff that none of you had to do but took your own time and money to provide and operate. It's great. And on top of all that, there's requirements made of any of the members except what basically equates to "don't be a dick."

I can honestly say that this is the best Guild Leadership I've experienced.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I joke because I care. :D Seriously though you guys do a great job and we do see and appreciate the effort. Hell tonight Hawkian was under the weather and still put up with our madness on his own to make sure we got our Comms. Having the Mumble for us, The Guild Website, the plethora of information, immigrant fund, lotto, etc.. all of it is awesome stuff that none of you had to do but took your own time and money to provide and operate. It's great. And on top of all that, there's requirements made of any of the members except what basically equates to "don't be a dick."

Awww, thanks! :D I'll make sure Ash sees this message if he doesn't have the chance to follow the thread before he gets back too.

Levyne

Banned
Everyone in the guild is simply fun to interact with. Even when I'm done playing for the day I sometimes keep the game open to use like a chatroom. Maybe that's weird..I dunno

My power is out :(

Retro

Yeah, seriously, this guild would've been dead months ago without you guys around.

I don't think there's a list or anything, but I'm pretty sure the GW2 Guild is the longest-running MMO guild on GAF. I think Rift might still be active though. I know SWTOR broke up, WoW never even got going... it really doesn't matter, the sentiment is still the same; this guild rocks.

Everyone in the guild is simply fun to interact with. Even when I'm done playing for the day I sometimes keep the game open to use like a chatroom. Maybe that's weird..I dunno

My power is out :(

Eh, ever other MMO becomes a chatroom when you run out of stuff to do.

Also, I remember when the power going out meant no internet. Kids today are probably like "Oh, the power is out? I didn't notice" as they fuck around with their smart phones and their tablets and their fancy pants and... I dunno, I'm old.

Proven

More GW2 PvP that I don't notice until it's practically too late.

Masters of the Mists tournament starting right this moment: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru

Eight EU teams playing in a best of 3, single elimination tournament. First match is That's So Pish vs. Chieftan Ninjas. Rest of the bracket is here: http://binarybeast.com/xGW21305130

There's a $500 prize pool, and there's going to be an NA version of the tournament in two or three weeks.

If you've got the free time, enjoy.

jersoc

tbh, i'm actually surprised that the guild is still going. I got rift at the start and joined the gaf guild. then one day it was randomly disbanded and no one knew what happened. quit that day.

the fact that even during the middle of the day on weekdays there's like 20 people on is pretty amazing.

Motha effin 2k viewers on Masters of the Mists tourney stream! Get it get it GW2 esports competitive gaming!

Edit:

Jon Peters in Masters of the Mists stream Chat said:
jon_peters: we are going to try and get that diversity by improving traits that aren't as good at the next balance patch

Retro

tbh, i'm actually surprised that the guild is still going. I got rift at the start and joined the gaf guild. then one day it was randomly disbanded and no one knew what happened. quit that day.

the fact that even during the middle of the day on weekdays there's like 20 people on is pretty amazing.

Didn't the Rift guild basically have a drama shitstorm and the GM or one of the officers basically pillaged it and kicked everyone out? I seem to remember hearing something like that.

I honestly chalk GAFGuild's continued success to three things;

First and foremost is the way the game is built to eliminate drama. As far as guilds go, the game's content has minimized them as a gameplay structure and maximized them as a social one. Buffs and missions are all you really get gameplay-wise from being in a guild, and since missions don't have any kind of cap, there's no raid groups to form, raid slots to fight over, schedules to organize, etc. They're also cheap to repeat if we fail or if not everyone can make it (No MMO I've played had the ability to host "Raid Makeup nights"). If you do miss a mission, all you're out are some commendations; you don't lose your slot, fall behind in DKP or ruin it for everyone else ("Sorry guys, raid canceled, not enough healers").

There's also no loot drama; everyone gets something and never at the expense of others. How many people have been in other MMOs where the guild either bled members or simply imploded over loot? Share your stories, they're always good (in hindsight at least). One of my WoW Guilds imploded because the Raid Leader gave a Core Hound's Tooth (a very nice dagger) to a girl he wanted to get with, skipping over two other players who wanted it. They were both rogues (so daggers are vitally important to them) and she was a hunter (melee weapons for hunters are basically just there to boost your stats). Guild exploded on the spot, people were literally leaving the guild while still in Molten Core. Good times.

Those two things alone make it almost impossible to get pissed at other people in your guild outside of them saying something offensive. That alone cuts down on 99% of drama.

Second, people have stuck around and remained active. The game lacks a subscription fee, so people aren't dropping the game every chance they get to save a little scratch. The game has also received substantial content updates every month since launch (every two weeks now), and bug fixes happen in hours, not weeks. Because of this, there aren't the usual MMO content droughts and active player dropoffs they bring. For example, the gap between the last Cataclysm content patch (4.3.0, Nov. 29th 2011) and the launch of Pandaria (Sept 25th, 2012) was 10 months. That's practically a year, and gaps of 5-6 months are pretty much the norm. For example, my last WoW guild died because there was a 6 month gap (Nov 2008 - April 2009) between the launch of WotLK and Ulduar in which the only raid was Naxx, a recycled raid from 2006 that most of the guild had beaten when it was a difficult 40-man raid. Some tried out Warhammer Online, some joined a private EQ Server. So few people were left that the guild just sort of died with a whisper.

There's always something to do in GW2, so there are always people playing GW2, which makes for an active, happy guild. The fast content updates also means people are getting excited for the next big thing just as they're wrapping up the last one.

Finally, and honestly least importantly, is just who is in the guild itself. Most of the leaders and officers were already friends at launch, having spent a lot of time hanging out on steam and mumble more than a year before release. We all came to the table with a lot of MMO experience, so we knew what problems to expect early on. That's why we have a zero-tolerance policy on drama, stop elitism immediately, and based the language rules on GAF's familiar anything-that-isn't-hateful/trolling model.

The guild itself is also packed with solid gamers who always offer to help (dungeon groups fill up fast), give good advice, and can have a healthy discussion without it turning into bitching or arguing. When things do get heated (I can count the number of times on one hand) cooler heads usually prevail or an officer just quietly changes the subject.

I consider it a great point of pride that in the entire 8 months we've been a guild, only one person has been kicked from the guild (unanimously, after more warnings than he deserved, and I don't think he was even a GAFer).

TLDR: Great game + lots of content + awesome members = awesome guild.

Lunar15

Oh, everyone just shut up about all this lovey-dovey "I love the guild" crap. I haven't gotten a single precursor while in this guild. I demand a recall of all guild leadership.

Anno

More than I would've thought. Wonder what ANet will do to try promoting these streams. Maybe something like how Valve is funding The International? 25% of all baby moa sales into a prize pool, etc.

You do know Officer duties are pretty easy, right? It is literally inviting people, whispering people when they say something that breaks GAF rules (usually people just slipping up and letting a homosexual slur out) and having a meeting about once a month to talk about stuff we can do to improve the guild. It's not at all as intense as other MMOs.

Occasionally we do run events / missions, but these are pretty laid back since Hawk / Ash usually like to manage them anyways. On the rare occasion where I had to handle it, it's pretty much "Okay, let's play this game we already know how to play, but in this direction over here". I was worried before launch too, since I've been forced into leading guilds in the past and hated it, but GW2 does so much for you already that the hard part is just deciding what to do when.

Nothing to it, and since you're on all the time you'd honestly be my first choice for an EU Officer. Something to think about?

I've been thinking about it for a long time, mostly because I feel like I should give back, but the thing is, I simply love too much the fact that I can just not log in to GW2 in a month, or two, and it will be perfectly OK. I've actually been off GW2 for a couple of weeks at a time on ocassion, and GW2 not having a fee and allowing me to do just that is the best feeling that an MMO can give me. I've also been bound by all kinds of social commitments on WoW (with real friends, to boot) to the point that more often than not, I didn't really want to play but kept doing just because of these perceived obligations (compounded with my slightly ludicrous sense of responsibility), so you could say I've developed an extreme wariness, perhaps even phobia, of committing at all to an online game. :/

Ash gets all the loot.
Jira rigs the lottery.
Retro handles the Puns.

;p

Wait a sec, Katoki is an officer? Isn't he Euro as well?

You know, I've never went out and said that this is the best guild leadership I've experienced, simply because that would mean comparing it to any other, and that would be silly. A guild that had Ashodin, Retro or Hawkian as their leader/officer would already be the best thing ever; having all three is just ridiculously awesome. You guys make this so amazing and special that, frankly, I'd play freaking EVERQUEST if you guys ran a guild there. :p

Thank you, guys. Your efforts, passion and drive turn this already great game into the best possible experience.

Retro

Wife: "I think today is jumping puzzle day!"

Later...

Wife: "I'm sorry if there's a lot of cursing."

Later...

Wife: "What the- ?! You've GOT TO BE KIDDING ME!"
Me: "What?!"
Wife: A sigh... "Jumping puzzle day, honey"

Today is going to be a fun day.

hythloday

Whoa, whoa whoa. This almost seems like...an insult to EverQuest, the bestest MMO ever.

To be completely honest, I loved the hell out of EQ when I first discovered it. I was in college and had no responsibilities whatsoever so I could play until 4 AM and it was no big deal. I had a blast grinding out levels, calling out camps in the Dreadlands, running from dragons, camping spawns with the rest of my guild on patch day, and spending hours at the oven making Misty Thicket Picnics to sell in the Bazaar. I miss those days.

However, if the same game was "new" today? No way would I tolerate some of that stuff. It was a huge time investment.

Einbroch

Banned
To be completely honest, I loved the hell out of EQ when I first discovered it. I was in college and had no responsibilities whatsoever so I could play until 4 AM and it was no big deal. I had a blast grinding out levels, calling out camps in the Dreadlands, running from dragons, camping spawns with the rest of my guild on patch day, and spending hours at the oven making Misty Thicket Picnics to sell in the Bazaar. I miss those days.

However, if the same game was "new" today? No way would I tolerate some of that stuff. It was a huge time investment.
Very true. However, in seventeen years I'm sure there will be another MMO that will make all the MMOs out today look pretty bad by comparison. Have to look at how it made you feel then.

Nostalgia, maybe. But EQ did amazing things for the MMO genre.

Anno

Oh god, Everquest nostalgia usually leads me down bad, bad roads. I'm positive I'll never have those same feelings about a game. GW2 is far and away the most played MMO since I retired from EQ in 2010, actually. I'm also super hyped to see what EQNext is.

Edit: For bonus nostalgia, click here!

Katoki

I caught Colin last night and let him know about the whole permissions with starting events issue like we had with the guild challenge and how we experimented with Seda doing the guild puzzle start.

Hawaii is whatever this is so convert that and take it as you will. That and I rarely ever get to play "during the day" (along the range of 8-9 AM my time until 3-4 PM) unless it's Saturday because of college/work.

Einbroch

Banned
Oh god, Everquest nostalgia usually leads me down bad, bad roads. I'm positive I'll never have those same feelings about a game. GW2 is far and away the most played MMO since I retired from EQ in 2010, actually. I'm also super hyped to see what EQNext is.

I knew what that was before I even clicked the link.

Damn you. I seriously got teary-eyed. EverQuest and Ragnarok Online are the only two games to get me teary-eyed from nostalgia.

nataku

That music, oh man. I spent so much time in EQ. I loved it, but I could never go back to a game like that.

Bards are still one of my favorite classes in an MMO.

Atrophis

I've only ever played EQ on the project 1999 server and I was surprised how much I liked it. There is something to be said for camping a spawn with an awesome group of people. Especially when a train could wipe you at any second.

Retro

I've been thinking about it for a long time, mostly because I feel like I should give back, but the thing is, I simply love too much the fact that I can just not log in to GW2 in a month, or two, and it will be perfectly OK.

That's not a problem, as Katoki, Jepsen and Wallach all stopped playing for a while at some point. Ferny stepped down recently, but before that he was away for a few months too, and only made it official when he realized he wasn't going to be able to come back as he had hoped. I don't think anyone really gave any advance warning they were leaving either, so if it's just a sudden drop off, it's not a big deal.

And I've made it abundantly clear that when Starbound comes out, I'll be on much less often for at least a few weeks, if not longer (For the record, Terraria destroyed my life, just ask my wife how many nights I came to bed at 4am).

That doesn't mean that anyone stopped actively contributing; Katoki still posted in the officer forums to give us his opinion on stuff, so has Jepsen. Ferny still runs the GAFGuild site and paid for Mumble for many months when he wasn't using it. I know even with Starbound I'll probably jump on to invite people if needed, and continue to post at the forums and such. Like I said in my post above, GW2 takes so much of the management usually required to keep a guild active and running off the table, it practically runs itself. We just have to have run missions and keep buffs active, and ArenaNet does the rest.

Since we just shifted things around a bit, the current guild leadership looks like this;
Co-Leaders: Ashodin and Hawkian
Officers: Gojira, Katoki, Wallach, GundamBanshee, Professor Retro, Melisande Storm.

Edit: We've kept Ferny at "Officer" rank too, now that I think of it.

We did away with the "Moderator" rank because it was just "Member + Invite ability", to make room for "Mist Warrior". And just in case anyone is curious, the "Remote Operator" rank is there for people to spend Influence earned on servers, since we have some people in GAFGuild who aren't on SBI earning influence independently. Dunno if we ever talked about that one.

A guild that had Ashodin, Retro or Hawkian as their leader/officer would already be the best thing ever; having all three is just ridiculously awesome.

Whooooa, no no no no no. You do not want me as a guild leader, or at least as the lone GM. I was an officer in a vanilla WoW guild and the GM and his second quit the game together and it all fell to me. I *hated* being responsible for everyone's enjoyment, making sure raids were organized and went smoothly, ran regularly and everyone had their DKP tracked, disputes were settled, Ventrillo was paid for, etc. I let some of the officers handle stuff, guys who were okay in as assistance but had personalities with all the charm of a sandpaper prophylactic. With no one to keep their temper tantrums in check, they drove folks out. I was disinterested in the game due to both content drought and having to spend more time managing everyone else's crap, so things just fell apart. Eventually people just fell away and by the time I came back for Burning Crusade there were only a few folks left.

In GW2, we just keep tabs on stuff in the officer forum, have meetings every so often to make decisions / discuss stuff, and that's about it. The guild is pretty well-behaved so there's not much need to police guild chat (seriously, I've had to whisper 4 people at most to watch their langauge). We like doing the missions and stuff, even going so far as to create our own. The most intense it's ever gotten was when we were trying to decide which server would be best for us to roll on (it was pretty heated).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom