• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anno

Following 5v5 is basically impossible, at least as someone who doesn't play PvP normally. Still fun to watch though. Peters said that some changes are coming to tone down particles in mob situations, thank god.

jersoc

Didn't the Rift guild basically have a drama shitstorm and the GM or one of the officers basically pillaged it and kicked everyone out? I seem to remember hearing something like that.

i have no clue. the few people i talked to were just as confused. i asked in the thread and don't remember ever getting any response. but whatever, that was like what, 3 years ago or something?

most the people i used to play mmos stopped playing them. so im just glad that there's some place for a nice guild still.

nataku

The Rift guild was randomly disbanded by the GM. He still posted on GAF at the time (he's banned now), but never provided an explanation. It was strange because he seemed really into the game and the guild.

People just logged in and found themselves without a guild all of a sudden.

I think he was paying for a website host and everything and it was just deleted when the guild was disbanded.

Just to chime on on the lovefest, you guys do an awesome job. I just hopped back in after a 3-4 month hiatus and no matter when I hop on there are a bunch of friendly people online willing to help, run dungeons, farm, or just BS.

Good times.

Whoa, whoa whoa. This almost seems like...an insult to EverQuest, the bestest MMO ever.

I never played EverQuest actually, but my first MMO was Ragnarok Online, which I guess less people know about. I loved the crap out of RO when it came out, it was like a new world of possibilities out there. Even so, you wouldn't catch me dead playing it now. :D

Hawaii is whatever this is so convert that and take it as you will. That and I rarely ever get to play "during the day" (along the range of 8-9 AM my time until 3-4 PM) unless it's Saturday because of college/work.

Gah, never mind then, for some reason I keep confusing you with a former, I think German, GAFGuild member.

That's not a problem, as Katoki, Jepsen and Wallach all stopped playing for a while at some point. [...] Like I said in my post above, GW2 takes so much of the management usually required to keep a guild active and running off the table, it practically runs itself. We just have to have run missions and keep buffs active, and ArenaNet does the rest.

OK, I'll give it a thought, then. I'll give you all guys an answer this week.

And just in case anyone is curious, the "Remote Operator" rank is there for people to spend Influence earned on servers, since we have some people in GAFGuild who aren't on SBI earning influence independently. Dunno if we ever talked about that one.

I actually was quite curious, to be frank :D. I was giving all kind of weird explanations in my head, like "perhaps there's a mobile application that allows you to queue up guild stuff?".

Whooooa, no no no no no. You do not want me as a guild leader, or at least as the lone GM. I was an officer in a vanilla WoW guild and the GM and his second quit the game together and it all fell to me. I *hated* being responsible for everyone's enjoyment, making sure raids were organized and went smoothly, ran regularly and everyone had their DKP tracked, disputes were settled, Ventrillo was paid for, etc. I let some of the officers handle stuff, guys who were okay in as assistance but had personalities with all the charm of a sandpaper prophylactic. With no one to keep their temper tantrums in check, they drove folks out. I was disinterested in the game due to both content drought and having to spend more time managing everyone else's crap, so things just fell apart. Eventually people just fell away and by the time I came back for Burning Crusade there were only a few folks left.

I didn't know at all about that, wow. Worst thing is that, having experienced WoW firsthand, and how selfish some players are, plus how much effort goes into running stuff, I can completely picture the situation in my head :(. It's the kind of thing that would give me nightmares.
It's pretty awesome of you to volunteer as a GW2 officer after all that, in fact. Thanks.

Retro

The Rift guild was randomly disbanded by the GM. He still posted on GAF at the time (he's banned now), but never provided an explanation. It was strange because he seemed really into the game and the guild.

People just logged in and found themselves without a guild all of a sudden.

I think he was paying for a website host and everything and it was just deleted when the guild was disbanded.

Yeah, I played Rift at launch but for whatever reason I didn't really get into the GAF guild for it. I think because initially I played on my wife's account (it ran like crap on my PC), so I didn't really bother. But I did hear something about it imploding without much warning or explanation. Weird.

That's kind of why we agreed from the start to have co-leaders, so one single individual couldn't cause things to fall apart. For example, when Ashodin has a stroke while loving on his woman because his arteries are clogged with pepperoni and his fedora is restricting the flow of blood to his brain (yes, he wears it during), Hawkian will be around to keep things going.

I actually was quite curious, to be frank :D. I was giving all kind of weird explanations in my head, like "perhaps there's a mobile application that allows you to queue up guild stuff?".

I wish, I wonder why we haven't heard anything about a mobile app in a while? Before launch they mentioned having mobile Guild Chat and Trading Post, though I can't remember if it was actually talked about, OFFICIALLY talked about, or just something we conjured up in our hype-induced ecstasy.

Anyways... "Mobile Operator" is literally the name just because I thought it sounded cool when we created it. It's Member + Influence access.

I didn't know at all about that, wow. Worst thing is that, having experienced WoW firsthand, and how selfish some players are, plus how much effort goes into running stuff, I can completely picture the situation in my head :(. It's the kind of thing that would give me nightmares.
It's pretty awesome of you to volunteer as a GW2 officer after all that, in fact. Thanks.

Meh, no thanks necessary. This is really the first MMO I've been excited for while also self-identifying as a GAFer, and I do like helping people out and organizing things as long as people aren't depending on me to have fun. Since GW2 takes that dependency factor out of the equation, I don't mind. The reason I'm not a co-leader is that I think it's mostly just a title at this point (we all have equal say and ability anyways, so it's literally just a rank and title affair).

I've been saying for years that the best and worst part of MMOs is the people. Without the social aspects, it's just a big, dead world filled with NPCs waiting for me to do their chores (which is one of the reasons I don't play Elder Scrolls games). But the people also grief, create drama, fight and generally act stupid.

GW2 is really the first MMO I've played that, by design, eliminates a lot of the negative parts of the social aspect rather than ignoring them (as most do) or paving over them (which never works). The only people I actively dislike in GW2 are the assholes who run around making puns in guild chat...

Levyne

Banned
That's kind of why we agreed from the start to have co-leaders, so one single individual couldn't cause things to fall apart. For example, when Ashodin has a stroke while loving on his woman because his arteries are clogged with pepperoni and his fedora is restricting the flow of blood to his brain (yes, he wears it during), Hawkian will be around to keep things going.

#dead

nataku

I wish, I wonder why we haven't heard anything about a mobile app in a while? Before launch they mentioned having mobile Guild Chat and Trading Post, though I can't remember if it was actually talked about, OFFICIALLY talked about, or just something we conjured up in our hype-induced ecstasy.

I think things switched from ANet developing the app to them just releasing an API/development program that let the community develop apps. They were supposed to talk about it soon after launch, but I'm guessing it go pushed aside for more important projects.

Hopefully they re-visit it in the future, because some of the features they talked about in that blog post way back sounded great.

Retro

I think things switched from ANet developing the app to them just releasing an API/development program that let the community develop apps. They were supposed to talk about it soon after launch, but I'm guessing it go pushed aside for more important projects.

Hopefully they re-visit it in the future, because some of the features they talked about in that blog post way back sounded great.

Yeah, next time I talk to a dev I'll ask about it. They usually don't (or more likely, can't) tell us stuff, but you never know.

I wouldn't mind being able to activate guild buffs or invite people without logging in. The Trading Post stuff is hit-or-miss (though it would be GREAT when they have flash sales), and stuff like being able to see WvW standing would just be nice, but not needed.

They have added security, but I'd like to have an actual authenticator app at some point. Though honestly, their approach seems to be eliminating the need for gold farmers and shutting down the bots rather than letting that stuff run rampant and putting an authenticator band-aid over it.

Edit: Irony; I am actually making a Boboli pizza for dinner after just making fun of Ash for it. Dunno what Ash is having, probably Mac n Cheese or something.

nataku

Yeah, next time I talk to a dev I'll ask about it. They usually don't (or more likely, can't) tell us stuff, but you never know.

I wouldn't mind being able to activate guild buffs or invite people without logging in. The Trading Post stuff is hit-or-miss (though it would be GREAT when they have flash sales), and stuff like being able to see WvW standing would just be nice, but not needed.

They have added security, but I'd like to have an actual authenticator app at some point. Though honestly, their approach seems to be eliminating the need for gold farmers and shutting down the bots rather than letting that stuff run rampant and putting an authenticator band-aid over it.

Edit: Irony; I am actually making a Boboli pizza for dinner after just making fun of Ash for it. Dunno what Ash is having, probably Mac n Cheese or something.

They actually have an authenticator app. It just uses Google authenticator. As far as I can tell the only difference between this and something like WoW uses is the way the app looks. No fancy GW2 skin, but that's not really a big deal.

They have it set up to remember your network, so you don't have to type the code in all the time, which is nice. Smartphone required as usual, though.

Retro

They actually have an authenticator app. It just uses Google authenticator. As far as I can tell the only difference between this and something like WoW uses is the way the app looks. No fancy GW2 skin, but that's not really a big deal.

They have it set up to remember your network, so you don't have to type the code in all the time, which is nice. Smartphone required as usual, though.

Yep, I just wanted something more 'official', I guess. Since I use the Google authenticator already, it's actually more convenient... Still, an authenticator app is sort of a good excuse to create a full featured app, and that's what I wouldn't mind having.

i'd prefer a full featured app as well. Also, I've never heard that they brought their use of Google Authenticator out of Beta and I'd rather not run into bugs with that.

Mxrz

Could my friend snag a gaf invite at some point? Ty ty

I ended up buying the bikini Mini girl. 15g. Not too shabby. probably see the price plummet now.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks again for all the kind words everyone. It's been a pleasure being involved in managing this guild. I joined the community just as a rabid fan and wanted to do whatever I could to help others get as much out of the game as I was during the first beta weekend. But I had no idea how successful we'd be (and none of us could have, really). Without active, helpful, courteous players that play for fun first and everything else second, we'd just be some guys who liked a game with an empty guild. None of us could have predicted the quality of our member base before seeing it in action all and it's really been a blast.

We'll have to do something really awesome for the 1 year anniversary!

I've had this glitch since day 1.

Anyone else?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1bN1rWDZds
Have it, can reproduce it, do not want it to be fixed. :p

edit: Whoa, caught up, GREAT news about the Master of the Mists stream! Where do I watch the final match? Sorry I missed it! (STID was pretty enjoyable though)

edit: Whoa, caught up, GREAT news about the Master of the Mists stream! Where do I watch the final match? Sorry I missed it! (STID was pretty enjoyable though)

Semi 1: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307431
Semi 2: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307442
Third Place: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307460
Finals: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307472

I HIGHLY recommend watching both the Semifinal matches. The Third Place and Final matches weren't as entertaining as those semis. Also viewership capped out at just over 4k at it's peak. And there was a LoL and a WoW tourney on at the same time. Pretty damn good for a Community made tourney.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Semi 1: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307431
Semi 2: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307442
Third Place: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307460
Finals: http://www.twitch.tv/guildwars2guru/c/2307472

I HIGHLY recommend watching both the Semifinal matches. The Third Place and Final matches weren't as entertaining as those semis. Also viewership capped out at just over 4k at it's peak. And there was a LoL and a WoW tourney on at the same time. Pretty damn good for a Community made tourney.
Damn. 4k.

edit: holy shit, the mist form, through the portal, to get the res. Didn't know you could do that.

These guys are great for sure.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So what should I spend karma on if I'm not interested in anything cosmetic? I think I have 70K or so saved up.
You can get exotic armor pieces from the Orr temples for 42k each. You can also merely convert the karma to gold, by buying Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes (any merchant in Orr) in bulk for 4.5k each.

Note that you also need a lot of karma for a Legendary, if you're interested in one.

You can get exotic armor pieces from the Orr temples for 42k each. You can also merely convert the karma to gold, by buying Lost Orrian Jewelry Boxes (any merchant in Orr) in bulk for 4.5k each.

Note that you also need a lot of karma for a Legendary, if you're interested in one.

I think I'll go the Lost Orrian Jewelry box route. Doubt I'll ever go for a legendary.

Thanks!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I think I'll go the Lost Orrian Jewelry box route. Doubt I'll ever go for a legendary.

Thanks!
I don't really feel the urge either. Incinerator and Twilight are pretty awesome but I wouldn't be able to seriously pursue one while enjoying myself and I have plenty of other goals to keep me occupied.

Thanks again for all the kind words everyone. It's been a pleasure being involved in managing this guild. I joined the community just as a rabid fan and wanted to do whatever I could to help others get as much out of the game as I was during the first beta weekend. But I had no idea how successful we'd be (and none of us could have, really). Without active, helpful, courteous players that play for fun first and everything else second, we'd just be some guys who liked a game with an empty guild. None of us could have predicted the quality of our member base before seeing it in action all and it's really been a blast.

I guess part of the merit is of GW2 itself. With the huge focus on cooperation and fun, and the near-impossibility of griefing, it bores and scares away the worst kinds of MMO players.

In any case, it's pretty funny how many people cried "doom in two months" about GAFGuild, and here we are, almost a year later, being one of the strongest in the server. :)

Last night I finally got around to finishing world completion with my Mes woooo Someone in LA map chat said make 4 Legendaries and then he'll be impressed lol It would be nice if I could sell some Gift of Explorations for crazy money since there are many people that don't want to deal with WC and then I could just buy the other contents for a Legendary hehe

Now I continue my ascended gear grind. Tonight I'll have enough to buy the capacitor for the back but I'll still need another 500 tokens for the Gift of Ascension. I'll just need four more pristine relics for my second ring and I think three or four more laurel for the second earring. So close, so close.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Keep posting people, let's get to 51 so I can repost the new schedule going into effect tonight + plug Kvothe's event :D

xVyoSl.jpg

Arah has an armor set that has knight's stats. So does Sorrow's Embrace.

You can always check by talking to the dungeon vendors.

Thanks, I figured one did but a friend I met in the game that's played an absurd amount said none did and he has a full set on his guardian so it made me question it. I should have checked in LA real quick before I went to bed. I don't think I've done SE explor at all, how bad is it? Or maybe I should ask how time consuming are the paths?

xeris

Thanks, I figured one did but a friend I met in the game that's played an absurd amount said none did and he has a full set on his guardian so it made me question it. I should have checked in LA real quick before I went to bed. I don't think I've done SE explor at all, how bad is it? Or maybe I should ask how time consuming are the paths?

SE1 isn't bad. Unless things go totally hatstand you can do it in around 15-20 minutes. I haven't done the other paths as much but from what I remember they're quite a bit longer.

Taffer

Is there a way to move the game files to another hard drive/folder? Or do I have to re download everything?

Just move the whole GW2 folder over and run the .exe in the new location. I had to shift my install to a new HDD recently and was worried about fiddling with install paths or some such to get it working, don't worry about it.

Everything will probably feel long after CoF runs haha Well I don't have to worry about it right now anyway, just thinking in advance for my next character which will be a Guardian. I might hold out until new races become available though. I'm pretty content to play my Mes in the meantime and get him the best gear possible.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
SE1 isn't bad. Unless things go totally hatstand you can do it in around 15-20 minutes. I haven't done the other paths as much but from what I remember they're quite a bit longer.
SE3 is definitely sub 30 minutes if you know the run, probably even with 2 people who've never done it as long as it's not more than a wipe or two.

SE2 is very long, but one of my favorite dungeon paths in the game. SE2 looks at the Molten Weapons Facility and is all like "pffft I did dual boss strategies before it was cool"

Jira

For the hell of it, reposting Hawkian's "lazy assholes" image with the new update:

en4vRBM.png

Just think, with the Dragon Bash datamined, we might have three updates in June.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom