• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

BLCKATK

So I'm about to hit 80 on my Ranger (Yay second 80!) and I was wondering if some fellow rangers can help me with a build. I've been putting 30 into Skirmishing because I love traps, but I have no idea where to put the other points. Ranger can just do so much stuff really so I'm not sure what else to put stuff in.

Levyne

Banned
If you use bows to any extent you're going to want the Piercing Arrows trait in the top line at 20. If you want an idiot proof pet with good dps and little micromanaging, use the Jaguar with the I (Pet Prowess) trait in Skirmishing, his stealth gives guaranteed crits and +30% damage to them.

Wallach

Hey Hawkian, this upcoming weekend went from "free" to "not so much" so I don't think I'll be playing at all. Not sure how much I'll really be on this week period.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hey Hawkian, this upcoming weekend went from "free" to "not so much" so I don't think I'll be playing at all. Not sure how much I'll really be on this week period.
So weird. Got off the phone with my friend, I moved my trip to June 21st... refreshed thread, saw comment. I'll be on :p Keep that june weekend open broseph

Retro

Spent the day at Gettysburg, so I wasn't on much and am just now catching up on all the news. Holy shit, what a day to spend isolated in the middle of a battlefield.

Good trip though, if you're in the area I highly recommend seeing it and maybe taking an Audio Tour.

nataku

And just when we were talking about ANet switching from a mobile app to an API release, and how it's been a while since we heard anything, they go and release the thing.

I'm glad they didn't forget about it or put it too far off. The stuff in there looks amazing. I can't wait to see what people do with it.

EDIT:

The PvE culling fix won't be in this week.

Colin Johanson said:
We’re working on getting over-all game performance with large #‘s of players/mobs on screen running better first. Some improvements were included in the last release, a number of additional performance improvements will be included in the release next week. Once we’re up to performance that can handle the transition to include mobs in the more advanced culling system, we’ll pull the switch, hopefully not that far off but I can’t give an ETA since we’re still doing extensive testing on performance.
As a bonus, the perf fixes next week should also help any location with lots of players and very few mobs, hello WvW.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/What-about-Open-World-Culling/first#post2063571

On the bright side, I'll take any performance increase they can throw out.

Atrophis

WvW was great last night. Experienced a side of it I've never seen before. Decent turn out too. Thanks to Dhomei for commanding. Gonna be tired for work today though ><

Jira

New items on the gem store:

• Mini black bear cub - 400 gems
  • Consortium mobile Mystic Forge - 50 gems or 5 for 200 gems. One time use mystic forge.
  • Consortium mobile crafting station - 100 gems or 5 for 400 gems. Summons a crafting station for 15 minutes, user chooses what crafting station it becomes.

Bear:

qx4NJls.jpg

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thanks indeed to Dhomei for the great command and thoughtful map-hopping. I learned a fair bit of tactics in just about an hour and a half running with him and Yulo. Unfortunately Teamspeak is still pretty foreign to me (the beta Android app, at least, seems like kind of a nightmare, and apparently I sounded like a robot?) but I'll get the hang of it.

I really want my Mesmer to be a force in WvW and eventually command. I die pretty rarely in any kind of group fight and I am getting priorities down, but I definitely need to learn plenty of things along the lines of treb placement and deciding when to attack a reinforced gate, and lock down when Veil is worthwhile. Still a lot of fun and I got a handful of badges.

Thanks again to everyone guild-wide for coming and helping out with our inaugural Puzzle and Bounty makeups. Despite a slow start in Proxemics we got everyone through and I was really happy when so many people came to Diessa to kill Short-Fuse even though we didn't need to complete the bounty. It does get us a bunch of Influence, so there is incentive, but really it was just great that you didn't all immediately go off to do assorted stuff after killing Brooke.

That was one of our fastest "cold-start" Bounties ever, for the record, with over 5 minutes to spare on complete.
(All times in U.S. Eastern Time)

No more Guild Missions or Events on Friday. Guild Missions for comms still occur on Saturday, now at 9:00PM. General makeups/fun/some Trek or another on Sunday afternoon.

Commendation makeups for Puzzle/Bounty: Monday 9:00PM, Wednesday 6:30PM
Commendation makeups for Challenge/Rush: Tuesday 9:00PM, Thursday 6:30PM

"WvW Power Hour" immediately following scheduled Guild Missions. Friday is devoted to WvW with a scheduled event at reset (9:00PM). New guild rank for WvW-oriented players, Mist Warrior.

Teamspeak: ts3.stormblufisle.com

Buffs for Magic Find, Influence gain, Reduced Repair cost, Reduced Waypoint cost, +5 Supply in WvW, and potentially more are being enabled on a staggered weekly schedule.

One final note: culling of the guild roster will be taking place on Saturday, June 1st (two weeks from today). Just log in at some point before then.

Jira

I must say, the new API is damn amazing. To be able to see the status of an event within ~10 sec of it spawning or changing events is AMAZING. That and a checkmark next to each event that sticks when I close the page? BRILLIANT!

I must say, the new API is damn amazing. To be able to see the status of an event within ~10 sec of it spawning or changing events is AMAZING. That and a checkmark next to each event that sticks when I close the page? BRILLIANT!
It is so good. You no longer have to wait around you know exactly when events start. Now I really wish I had two monitors!

hythloday

I'm sorry I missed the WvW fun last night! Retro and I didn't get home from our excursion until late.

It was funny when we were driving around on the Auto tour of the Gettysburg battlefield, looking at monuments. Retro climbed up to a large/high one to take pictures and I'm down in the car looking at the May 28th patch update on my phone. He got back and I told him "You missed the May 28th update notes going up."

"Yeah I know, Jira already texted me."

GW2GAF spreads information fast!

How come they are highlighting the back piece items for the May 28th update? Everyone can get them now...are they just giving another option of getting them besides the usual achievement age.

How come they are highlighting the back piece items for the May 28th update? Everyone can get them now...are they just giving another option of getting them besides the usual achievement age.

I would guess since a lot of achievements were locked until the 28th, it will be much easier to get it then, and that's what they mean. I'm only missing one or two achievements to get the Lovecraftian one, but I might as well wait until then.

hythloday

Maybe, that kinda makes sense. I thought that was weird too that they mentioned it, since even if it becomes easier to get the backpieces, they're still not new information. I got the flower piece very easily, but I'll need to finish off the last two "boss" achievements to finish off the tentacle one.

Speaking of achievements, in future releases I would really prefer it if ArenaNet just did not include all of the available achivements right away, or placed "?????" placeholder achievements instead of having the them all spoil what's going on in the story and who you're going to end up fighting. Even if you probably can figure it out, that's just my preference!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
They mentioned it in the 28th patch preview because the acquisition of the items was opaque in this one. Believe it or not, people like us who blow through the achievements in a night or two aren't necessarily in the majority. ;) Linking to the Wiki right from the release page ensures that everyone that is interested in getting the back pieces knows how to get them (and reassures those that have seen them around that they've still got time).

The did the ???? for Halloween, I don't know why they screwed it up this time. Big ol' misfire there. Tell Colin ;)

Ebris

Man, WvW was so much fun last night. Holding back the CD Siege in their southwest camp repeatedly was something else. It took a swarm of around 3-4 times our numbers for them to finally push us out, and even then it was a grueling process for them.

SBI TIER 4 MASTER RACE. HURRRRR.

What are you guys talking about? The dragon timer seemed the same as always. In fact, I had to wait literally all the way to the very last minute for the Maw to start :|

Another ascended ring drop that doesn't have the stats I want, argh! Please give us something to do with them besides waste bank space, Anet! I just checked last night and you can't even attempt to salvage them! They are literally worthless if you don't have a character using those stats /endofrant

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Retro

I'm sorry I missed the WvW fun last night! Retro and I didn't get home from our excursion until late.

It was funny when we were driving around on the Auto tour of the Gettysburg battlefield, looking at monuments. Retro climbed up to a large/high one to take pictures and I'm down in the car looking at the May 28th patch update on my phone. He got back and I told him "You missed the May 28th update notes going up."

"Yeah I know, Jira already texted me."

GW2GAF spreads information fast!

For the record, I was at the top of this damn thing when I got the text message.

Pretty steep, narrow spiral staircase too.

The map seems completely pointless, but I guess some people don't know where stuff is. Still, I liked their old version which was just a series of timers.
Edit: And a Quaggan pops up and blocks the map too? Ehhhh... somebody will do it a hundred times better now that the API is out there.

Jira

Yeah, they messed up bad with the achievements. I don't know what happened there. :/

It was a mistake and they're aware so that's good.

Oh and:

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Upcoming-WvW-changes-may-28th/first#post2063360

Ascended items and infusions both will cost a less than normal amount of laurels, and a badge cost as well. (Ascended accessories will remain laurels + ecto, but with new WvW rank reward chests you&#8217;re going to be getting a lot more Ecto!)

The map seems completely pointless, but I guess some people don't know where stuff is. Still, I liked their old version which was just a series of timers.
Edit: And a Quaggan pops up and blocks the map too? Ehhhh... somebody will do it a hundred times better now that the API is out there.

Whaaaa? Come on man that whole interface is awesome. I greatly prefer it to a bare bones spreadsheet looking interface. A little flavor goes a long way with these kinds of sites.

Crab Toss is so annoying. Hit F but someone else picks it up. Hit 1 but they dash away right when you do so. But when you pick up the crab you lose it instantly.

Katoki

Crab Toss is so annoying. Hit F but someone else picks it up. Hit 1 but they dash away right when you do so. But when you pick up the crab you lose it instantly.

You usually want to wait for someone else to pick up the crab before hitting steal. I've actually had games where multiple people just circled the crab for a while so that they could steal it rather than get it stolen. Also judging from your post, it still lags in there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
By the way, GW2Stuff will have Commisar and Ogre Wars up sometime today.
Meh.

Not sure out of the zeitgeist I am with this, but I don't think Fire Shaman, Ogre Wars, Commissar, Zho'Qafa or Flame Temple Tombs belong on the timers :p

Taidha I'll give a pass to because getting the actual final event to spawn is like praying to the wind.

By the way, GW2Stuff will have Commisar and Ogre Wars up sometime today.

Even better. The API release has been great.
Wonder if anyone has found a way to keep track of the node locations in game so they update automatically whenever there is a new game update.

Hope someone uses that API to make an iphone app where it will send me notifications when I am playing to let me know, so that I do not have to alt-tab.

Meh.

Not sure out of the zeitgeist I am with this, but I don't think Fire Shaman, Ogre Wars, Commissar, Zho'Qafa or Flame Temple Tombs belong on the timers :p

Taidha I'll give a pass to because getting the actual final event to spawn is like praying to the wind.

Why are you against it? Are they not timed like the other ones?

Even better. The API release has been great.
Wonder if anyone has found a way to keep track of the node locations in game so they update automatically whenever there is a new game update.

Hope someone uses that API to make an iphone app where it will send me notifications when I am playing to let me know, so that I do not have to alt-tab.

They're sort of timed.. but only in the sense that they have a ready state that comes up X amount of time after it's last been defeated. But they don't get run like the dragons and they don't have a "fail state" so they just kind of chill there until a group wants to go do them.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Not like the others, no.

I mean, they clearly have some kind of reset timer after killed (it seems laugably small, though, like ~20 minutes for the Fire Shaman)... but it doesn't matter, because they aren't zonewide Meta events, or for the ones that are (Ogre Wars and Taidha), they sit in triggerable ready states. They just pop up and get ready to be done and wait for someone to do them.

And so we just go do them. Whenever we want. We never cared about whether or not they were "up," they just are (well, not Taidha...) It's always worked, because they haven't been popular enough to be rapidly killed upon the timer pop (like the Dragons, the Fire Elemental, the Wurm, etc.). The only way that could change is the timer tracking sites raising awareness of them to the point that they were constantly killed after every pop and thus we'd have to start watching the timers for them too.

:-/

edit: man GAF has been borderline unusable for me today! six tries to post this

Retro

man GAF has been borderline unusable for me today! six tries to post this

GAF is having a field day bashing the shit out of that dismal XBox One reveal. I'm not digging too deeply (too frustrating with all the down time), but it looks like this is the closest GAF has ever come to unanimously hating something. There's very little positive response.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, off-topic but hard to get excited about Xbox One. I think the Wii U is on the bubble for me personally, at least they have Retro Studios, IS, and Monolithsoft. I think everything else is or will be worth owning at some point.

Not that I play much anything other than GW2 these day :/

Ahh right console gaming is a thing! I really should get back into that.

*reads*

j4fLvpGlw0vjh.jpg

well, I hate it already.

I can't return to console gaming even when force myself to do it, friend lent me his 360 played it for 1 day after that it collected dust I gave it back in a week, told him shit got boring real fast, on my PC i can do so much on a console its just fucking gaming...

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Official announcement of the Mystic Forge/Crafting express items and Black bear, and the buried lead is that this is the last week to get your Braham and Rox tribute skins (Shield/Mace/Bow/Quiver). I'm considering going for a quiver myself.

If I can get really craziest lore nitpicky for a second...

Why is Gnashblade allowing these items to be sold on his trading post? He knows (or should know) the Consortium is angling for his job.

Retro

Might as well chime in on the whole XBox One thing.

Our Wii is pretty much a dedicated Netflix box, though Hythloday has been using it lately for Wii Fit. My 360 has been collecting dust since I shut it off in disgust after a weekend of Halo 4's failings. Never bought a PS3.

I'm honestly not going to buy any consoles from this generation, not until they come waaaaaay down in price (like $99). The games haven't been worth it, even when they're exclusive, and when they're not the PC ports are generally better (even if you have to wait a little longer for them).

I am much more likely to sink the $3-400 entry fee for a console into my PC and play the games I already love (GW2, Terraria update soon) or am looking forward to (Starbound). The price and the headaches (always on, DRM, No used games, no backwards compatibility, kinect, etc.) aren't worth being a console gamer anymore.

That said, I've been playing my SNES a lot lately. Going through all of the Mario Games (on World 8 in SMB, getting my ass kicked), then I think Super Metroid. I might fire up the N64 for some Ocarina of Time, it was the one Zelda game I skipped during my big Zelda playthru I used to get through GW2 BWE withdrawls.

Levyne

Banned
Got all the crab toss achievements except crabtacular....maybe I'll try that late at night when not every match has 7 or 8 people...

The reveal thread is so embarrassing, now I remember why I stay away from gaming side. Or rather, why I namely stick to subscribed threads. After spending most of your time in more pleasant communities, you forget the stupidity of the outside world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom