• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

I'm a console type gamer simply because I'm a controller type gamer, and most PC games are developed to use more buttons on a keyboard than I'm inherently comfortable with (including GW2), or focus on mouse gameplay which just turns me off for some reason.

I'm probably going to pick up a Wii U late this year for a couple of games I'm looking forward to (big fan of Platinum Games) and maybe a PS4 down the road.

This is the last book in the series right? And comically enough, the earliest chronologically of all three pre-GW2 books. Buying the Kindle version.

Retro

I liked the books. They're not stellar stories or anything but they're short and fun.

Ghosts of Ascalon: Written well enough, but no real ending. Good characters.
Edge of Destiny: Badly written, jumps around a lot chronologically, characters are meh.

I'd love a dungeon with Dougal Keene as one of the NPCs.

LkPr

I need to get back into this game! ... Neverwinter has disappointed me and from what I have read about the things I have missed over the past few months there has been a lot!!

Proven

Edge of Destiny: Badly written, jumps around a lot chronologically, characters are meh.

What? No real ending? They got the thing they went for! Or is it more about the lack of epilogue/aftermath?

Retro

What? No real ending? They got the thing they went for! Or is it more about the lack of epilogue/aftermath?

The latter; it's literally "Yay, we did it! THE END", with the characters still in a pretty dangerous place. It just felt.. abrupt.

Levyne

Banned
Darn Crabtacular achievement :(

I've gotten pretty good at steals, had some 14/15 steal games. Well, it's a big improvement from where I started at anyway.

Mxrz

Tonight on mumble I was wondering why everyone was so quiet. I started to ask if gaf was full of bunch of shy people. Eventually I just ditched my headset. It wasn't until you guys were poking me in party chat that I realized I didn't have mumble's output set to the right device. Derp.

Anyway, the crab thing -- from my end -- was going well. I was losing health pretty slowly, and I figured I would toss it off at around 5000 health. I was in the 7000-8000 range when suddenly boom, dead. I had been keeping an eye on the big karka since I know about their roll, but I sure didnt see it if that is what hit me.

Someone asked on mumble and I don't remember if I answered, but my guardian has around 1,800+ toughness and 3100+ armor. I've been slacking on getting the perfect rune setup.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
http://godcraft.com/x/gw2/default.htm

Someone coded and threw up a barebones site to track any and all event states in the game.

Code here:

https://github.com/PrimalZed/GW2ActiveEvents
Fascinating.

This answered a question I've had for a while: just how many events did they add to Southsun Cove?

Before:
Help Lionguard Demolitionist Varrv plant explosives in karka nests (80)
Help find missing Consortium property in ruined camp and skelk nests, and kill local reef skelk (80)
Bring karka eggs to Owain (80)
Help Advisor Zakk repair his golem and reclaim his training area (80)
[Group Event] Kill the reef shark in Sawtooth Bay (80)
Kill the reef drake broodmother threatening the Lionguard (80)
Patrol with the Lionguard to secure the road (80)
After:
Help Nattus return to his settlement. Active
Help Advisor Zakk repair his golem and reclaim his training area. Active
Kill the reef drake broodmother threatening the Lionguard. Active
Help Lionguard Demolitionist Varrv plant explosives in karka nests. Active
Patrol with the Lionguard to secure the road. Active
Defend the targeted victim of the angry mob. Active
Defeat the riot-instigating settler. Active
Quell the skirmishing between dissenting factions. Active
Kill the reef shark in Sawtooth Bay. Active
Defeat the riot-instigating settler. Warmup
Defend the settlement from rampaging, crazed wildlife. Warmup
Defend the targeted victim of the angry mob. Warmup
Bring karka eggs to Owain. Warmup
Help Laelia return to her settlement. Warmup
Quell the skirmishing between dissenting factions. Warmup
Help Skeggi return to his settlement. Warmup
Help Mikla return to her settlement. Warmup
Defend the targeted victim of the angry mob. Warmup
Quell the skirmishing between dissenting factions. Success
Clear the karka and their eggs to rebuild Camp Karka. Success
Defend the settlement from the crazed creatures' attack. Success
Defend Camp Karka from karka invasion. Success
Defend the targeted victim of the angry mob. Fail
Discounting the Guild Missions, which weirdly do show up on this API (rendering our failure tonight to the world)... from 7 to 28, or just over tripling the number of events. Even if you discount the events that are the same event type occurring in other areas of the island, they added 10 new types to the map.

Wonder what it'll look like after the 28th.

Someone will add you ASAP, Crimson!

Things are definitely getting nuts with the API.

RIP Low-populated world events. My consolation is that they don't yet understand how long a chain Ogre Wars is, and Flame Temple Tombs seems immune from consideration.

What servers are CoF and CoE open on?

Seems like soon you won't even need to load the game to play GW2...ugh!

I hope someday before I die the Orr Temples become open so I can buy an exotic Rabid Medium Armor Set.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Seems like soon you won't even need to load the game to play GW2...ugh!

I hope someday before I die the Orr Temples become open so I can buy an exotic Rabid Medium Armor Set.
Welp, you can figure out which servers which temples are open on with the omnievent page... Dwayna has the rabid accessories, but I don't know which temples you need total.

edit: ^Cravens, a version of that site tied into the API will be a lifesaver

I've recently geared my alts with Orr stuff using:
http://www.gw2dragons.com/guesting.html#/temples

Just guest to the world with uncontested temples.
Although I've noticed they mostly open on weekends.

From what I saw on the wiki (which I cannot access right now from work), was that 4 out of the 6 (CD/P/T - Rabid) are only available from the Karma Vendor after killing the Risen Wizard outside the Gates of Arah which actually isn't even a temple.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
From what I saw on the wiki (which I cannot access right now from work), was that 4 out of the 6 (CD/P/T - Rabid) are only available from the Karma Vendor after killing the Risen Wizard outside the Gates of Arah which actually isn't even a temple.
Hmmm it'd be great to be able to search. This is active on Seafarer's Rest at lea st...

hythloday

We have a pretty terrible record on challenges outside of Saturday nights, it seems.

I think all we need is more people showing up sometimes. We had lots of people online, but around half of that number actually came to the challenge last night.

No, people don't have to. This isn't a raiding guild, or a restaurant where we're quibbling over your minimum pieces of flair. But people should want to show up. They're fun little events which take less than 20 minutes to complete.

CITIZENS! If you're already online, can you spare 20 minutes to help other people get their commendations, and get the guild merits and influence to keep those tasty buffs rolling?

Retro

If ArenaNet gave some kind of daily reward for all missions (right now, repeating a challenge gives you nothing), people might show up. Especially if it's treated like a daily chest.

Then again, as soon as you put a decent reward on it, people start wanting to do it every day, which simply isn't feasible.

She actually had me make a girl version of my avatar, but that would have been too obvious.

eljoeDW.gif

Maybe I'll use it if I'm feeling squirrely.

That's adorable, although the White Mage is hard to beat.

Got all the crab toss achievements except crabtacular....maybe I'll try that late at night when not every match has 7 or 8 people...

There's groups of people getting it in turns now, I logged in to play a bit of Frungyball and they forced me to stand with them in the middle... although I then got to get it myself. It's pretty easy with everyone coordinated, takes seconds. Contrary to what I thought, you just have to be the only person standing and have the crab in your hands, not end the match like that.

Pretty much my thoughts except I'd criticise Edge of Destiny much more; it was absolutely abysmal on any metric imaginable. Ghosts of Ascalon did end abruptly but I think that was most noticeable because I was enjoying it quite a bit. Also, first videogame novel ever in which
I didn't see a plot twist coming ten miles back.

Actually:
VkqKG8O.png

hythloday

Could I get an invite to the guild?
Account name is ennui.4607

I've actually been playing for a while, but have been going guild-less.

I just tried to invite you, but got a weird error about reaching the maximum number of guild memberships. Are you in other guilds and not representing them, or do you have pending invites? I think the most you can have at any one time is 5. Or 4, I dunno. I'm only in GAF.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You understand the difference in utility, right?

The Wiki can now show what servers any event is in an Active state on. This is particularly useful for seeing where you can attend an event that carries a personal reward you wish to obtain by completing (namely, for the most part, the Bonus Chests for the daily world events).

The CoE/CoF checker (and, on a much larger, more convoluted scale, the gw2-events site) tells you specifically when the final event in the dungeon unlock meta chains are in a Success state. This is not useful for witnessing the event- it's useful for taking advantage of the benefits the completed chain provides- either access to a dungeon, or, when this exists for the Orr temples, access to the exotic Karma vendors. Also baby quaggan tonics.

The wiki doesn't provide this information- if you look at Toil for the Coil, the final event is Capture the Infinity Coil which as of this writing is Active on 5 servers. However, it being active specifically means that you cannot enter the dungeon. It has no method at present of showing you which servers have that event in a Success state. Conversely, the fact that it isn't there doesn't necessarily indicate success either, as a different event in the chain could be active, or the chain might not have reset yet at all.
I just tried to invite you, but got a weird error about reaching the maximum number of guild memberships. Are you in other guilds and not representing them, or do you have pending invites? I think the most you can have at any one time is 5. Or 4, I dunno. I'm only in GAF.
Yeah, that is the message you get when you try to invite someone who is already in too many guilds. Very bizarre, unintuitive message.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I think all we need is more people showing up sometimes. We had lots of people online, but around half of that number actually came to the challenge last night.

No, people don't have to. This isn't a raiding guild, or a restaurant where we're quibbling over your minimum pieces of flair. But people should want to show up. They're fun little events which take less than 20 minutes to complete.

CITIZENS! If you're already online, can you spare 20 minutes to help other people get their commendations, and get the guild merits and influence to keep those tasty buffs rolling?

I've been trying to get my GF a friend so I can actually play... Coincidence or not, since I dinged 80 I have not had a chance to play.

Reknoc

Crab Toss is a good example of achievements ruining something. Not that I hate achievements, and I'm not particulary fond of Crab Toss, but still, it's some what saddening to see that people would rather just boost for achievements than "play" it. I guess what's even worse is I'm one of those people.

Though maybe it doesn't help that Crab Toss is a bunch of toss.

Levyne

Banned
I dunno, the carrying and steals ones were fine. I found myself improving in each category and my rate of progress on them increased. It's just there's only so much you can do about the last one. Position yourself near the hazards....hope people stink at the game and get hit. The more players there are the harder it will be to get the pieces to fall into place..

I just feel maybe a fixed number (Three or Four People go down while you are carrying the crab) or a progress bar (X number of eliminations) would be better, but maybe that's me being bitter.

I mean, it's not that big of a deal, optional achievements in an optional minigame for an arbitrary point value to a rather meaningless total game score.

Reknoc

Crabtacular in particular is definitely my biggest problem (because i dont have it) but even if it wasn't there and it just had the get x grabs ones you'd still end up in a group of people doing nothing but pass the parcel. If there weren't any achievements what would you do (other than not play crab toss because it's a bit poo)? If the end of game chest has, as I believe it does, better loot the better you finish you'd be more inclined to play to win maybe.

But yea I agree it's not really a big deal, just something I thought of while stuck on the bus lol

The problem with make up event attendance is that people are often doing other things. Last night I was in WvW running formations. While it's easy to say "Guild Missions are only 20 minutes," it can actually be a lot more than 20 minutes of lost progress. Especially as make up guild missions have a higher fail rate than normal and it's not always due to lack of players. Challenge fails are lack of players. The others aren't.

To be honest there is already so much I want to do in game that even doing the things I want makes me feel like I'm losing progress on other things that I want. I don't mind taking the time to help others get their comms but when a lot of these missions require specific mechanics be followed within a time limit and people either don't listen or aren't paying attention and it fails it makes it harder to want to attend. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick or make anyone feel bad or feel attacked but that's what it breaks down to, for me personally.

You understand the difference in utility, right?

Ah, yep, I hadn't thought of that/hadn't realized the particular one you linked is precisely for after event effects. Still, it's cool and I was surprised that they integrated at least this with the Wiki already! Although considering the wiki seems at least partially maintained by ArenaNet themselves, I guess it shouldn't be all that surprising.

Crabtacular in particular is definitely my biggest problem (because i dont have it) but even if it wasn't there and it just had the get x grabs ones you'd still end up in a group of people doing nothing but pass the parcel. If there weren't any achievements what would you do (other than not play crab toss because it's a bit poo)? If the end of game chest has, as I believe it does, better loot the better you finish you'd be more inclined to play to win maybe.

But yea I agree it's not really a big deal, just something I thought of while stuck on the bus lol

I think the problem is with this particular achievement itself; it's entirely luck-based and the chances of it happening naturally are way too low, which are both huge encouragements for people to game it. If there's a lot of GAFers that want it and don't have it yet, perhaps we should make a small GAFGuild appointment to play crab toss and game it as well, it takes seconds for each person.

hythloday

The problem with make up event attendance is that people are often doing other things. ... I'm really not trying to sound like a dick or make anyone feel bad or feel attacked but that's what it breaks down to, for me personally.

Oh, not to worry, I get what you're saying. When we are aiming to run some type of event each day per week, we cannot expect everyone to attend all events. That would be silly. Personally I'm not going to come to Monday/Tuesdays often, if at all, because they're at 9:00 EST when I'm either already in bed, or getting ready for it. People also have limited time to play and they may not be able to commit to something start to finish even if they're online for some of it.

We don't even need to win the overall bounty to get people their commendations since you get them for killing one thing. Last night's failed event was a Challenge, which was (in my opinion) directly related to lack of players - like you said. The Rush went fine.

I'm just encouraging people to come help if they're available, especially for Challenges. They're an event for your monthly, and everyone gets stuff if we win.

We've almost got amanta's things packed, then tomorrow it's the truck, the drive for several days, then we move in! Fun fun

Drive safely and keep us updated (via text/Steam if you gotta) if at all possible!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Drive safely, and have a great move, Ash!
--

Crab Toss is incredible, Reknoc's hair is a bird etc.

I got all the achievements but I'm still playing it at least a couple matches a night (and I've gotten Crab Toss Champion for one of my dailies every night since The Secret of Southsun began).

Jest said:
The problem with make up event attendance is that people are often doing other things. Last night I was in WvW running formations. While it's easy to say "Guild Missions are only 20 minutes," it can actually be a lot more than 20 minutes of lost progress. Especially as make up guild missions have a higher fail rate than normal and it's not always due to lack of players. Challenge fails are lack of players. The others aren't.

To be honest there is already so much I want to do in game that even doing the things I want makes me feel like I'm losing progress on other things that I want. I don't mind taking the time to help others get their comms but when a lot of these missions require specific mechanics be followed within a time limit and people either don't listen or aren't paying attention and it fails it makes it harder to want to attend. I'm really not trying to sound like a dick or make anyone feel bad or feel attacked but that's what it breaks down to, for me personally.
There are no problems with make up event attendance or commendation awards except for challenges.

A single bounty can be hunted by a party of 5. A single party who knows a puzzle can lead any number of additional people through to the end. Rush comms involve only the singular player making it the end. We have not had and will not have any issues with these.

The first bold is completely accurate; the following sentence doesn't really apply because only challenges count on large group success for the individual rewards. The second bold is an extremely unfortunate way of looking at the situation. The more people that feel that way, the fewer people will show up, and the more true it will be. If more people attend and get involved we will succeed, as we always do on Saturday nights. The timing thing is really rough, because literally the longest a challenge can take is just under 20 minutes start to finish if enough people come and we start on time. The more difficulty we have, the longer it will take.

You were in the middle of running formations in WvW and you didn't want to come because you were doing that and would've had to interrupt it, and that's completely fine. You could have just ended your post there and no one will ever hold such a scenario against any member of the guild. But not coming because you perceive other people as not listening or paying attention, and thus expect failure, is not good.

I am putting together a more fleshed out post on how we may want to approach guild challenges going forward.

Reknoc

I think the problem is with this particular achievement itself; it's entirely luck-based and the chances of it happening naturally are way too low, which are both huge encouragements for people to game it. If there's a lot of GAFers that want it and don't have it yet, perhaps we should make a small GAFGuild appointment to play crab toss and game it as well, it takes seconds for each person.

Pretty much. I imagine it was a lot easier a week ago when people were still unfamiliar with crabtoss, now that's rarer than a southsun crate (all i want is a tiny woman in a bikini following me around is that so wrong game? IS THAT SO WRONG)

There are no problems with make up event attendance or commendation awards except for challenges.

A single bounty can be hunted by a party of 5. A single party who knows a puzzle can lead any number of additional people through to the end. Rush comms involve only the singular player making it the end. We have not had and will not have any issues with these.

There has been issues with getting people together for make up bounties as well. I know as I've attended when such was the case. We've had to run T2 bounties multiple times in one evening to even get one of them down. Call it bad rolls if you like, but it's true.

You were in the middle of running formations in WvW and you didn't want to come because you were doing that and would've had to interrupt it, and that's completely fine. You could have just ended your post there and no one will ever hold such a scenario against any member of the guild. But not coming because you perceive other people as not listening or paying attention, and thus expect failure, is not good.

I was running formations in WvW and I'm aware (or at least under the impression) that make ups have a higher failure rate. So I made a personal decision based on that. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way and if so, then there is no problem. I'd rather just talk about it for what it is rather than act like it doesn't happen but hey, if that's problematic then I just won't discuss it past this point.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There has been issues with getting people together for make up bounties as well. I know as I've attended when such was the case. We've had to run T2 bounties multiple times in one evening to even get one of them down.
On the individual night you are referencing: we did so, correct?
I was running formations in WvW and I'm aware (or at least under the impression) that make ups have a higher failure rate. So I made a personal decision based on that. Maybe I'm the only one who feels that way and if so, then there is no problem. I'd rather just talk about it for what it is rather than act like it doesn't happen but hey, if that's problematic then I just won't discuss it past this point.
They're two different things. If you're doing something else and you don't want to attend because you're doing something else, that's the way it's supposed to work. If you don't want to attend because you think we are going to fail, you are contributing to the likelihood that we fail. :p

On the individual night you are referencing: we did so, correct?

Eventually, yes. This doesn't counter my point at all though. It's just trying to put a positive spin on having multiple failures due to the reasons I listed.

They're two different things. If you're doing something else and you don't want to attend because you're doing something else, that's the way it's supposed to work. If you don't want to attend because you think we are going to fail, you are contributing to the likelihood that we fail. :p

Two things that both contribute to my final decision. Being in WvW and the perception of high likelihood of failure even if I were to attend. Saying that I contribute to the failure by not attending is a low tactic. It ignores my concerns, brushing them off as if they don't exist and it also tries to paint me as selfish.

Last night was the first Guild Mission make up that I chose not to attend in favor of doing other content and instead of addressing my concerns you call me part of the problem. Awesome.

CrimsonN0

Yeah, I just went on and checked and I had 5 pending invites.

Levyne

Banned
Jest, you seem to be construing something that really isn't a big deal into some sort of attack. I mean, it's such a non-issue that..."non-issue" is almost too strong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom