• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Go Arken go. Ash too, of course.

The majority of the playerbase may spend little or no $ on gems but contributors at that scale power the dev cycles for the rest.

Arken2121

I do believe that the majority of players spend at least $10 a month on something. And of course, you have players like myself who just love to buy shit regardless.

Retro

My wife and I spent a lot initially, on bank / character slots. We're probably spending about $10-20 a month combined now. Last time I bought gems was April, I think. I'd say we've probably spent a combined $400 on gems over the last year.

That sounds like a lot, until you consider a subscription MMO for both of us would be $360 a year. If we had to transfer servers once or do any sort of name/race change it would be $400 easy.

I really don't mind. It's gone towards supporting a great game we play just about every day, and the purchases have all been optional / quality of life things. Nothing has ever felt obligatory.

Doh, Xpadder isn't working all the sudden. It's stating that an unsupported Windows is detected when I try to open the .exe

You ever encounter this Hawkian? I'm using W7.

It happens from time to time, it seems that Windows 7 derps every so often and "forgets" the compatibility mode options. As Hawkian mentioned, just right-click the .exe and select Windows XP SP2 (or SP3?). It's in the instructions as well.

I'm struggling to decide whether to roll Guardian, Mesmer or Ele?

Could anyone tell me which one you prefer out of the three and why?
Thanks.

If you already have a couple of characters, Ele is a ton of fun for me, possibly my favorite class. If it's your first class, Ele is also one of the most intimidating, as they have tons upon tons of skills that take quite a while to memorize. This is slightly alleviated by sticking to one single weapon set until you know all 20 skills by heart. I use, and recommend, Dagger/Dagger, as it's both one of the most fun sets and the novelty of playing a melee mage never wears off. I also recommend you use Ice Bow as one of your utilities for those times where you need ranged attacks. Ele and Engi are the two classes that can't equip both a melee and ranged set the "normal" way, so in both cases you use utilities to fill the other gap.

That said, all three classes are awesome. The mileage you'll get out of the Mesmer is directly proportional to how cool you think the concept of constantly creating clones to mess with your enemies' heads (both humans and AI) is; I personally find it really awesome, so I love the class. Guardian is so much more interesting than, say, WoW's Paladin (by far my least favorite WoW class), with lots of mobility and varied neat skills/effects.

Re: Gem spending, I might be at around 60$, plus boxes (one for me, one for Edelstein). All of which was pretty much motivated by a desire to support the game, something I don't usually feel with AAA games.

Lunar15

I'm jonesin' for some patch notes. Those always help to get me through update days!

Even if the animation and sound is a bug, just reskinning the lava animation to water is extremely lazy for something they want us to spend $10 on.

Hopefully it's just temporary...

While I don't disagree, you're more paying for the infinite nature.

nataku

I'm jonesin' for some patch notes. Those always help to get me through update days!

Well, yeah. But the fact that the sickle is probably the least used tool is all the more reason for them to give it an amazing animation. Personally, I won't be getting this one because I hardly use the sickle. I'd be more inclined to get it if it had a great, unique animation.

Have it spawn a karka hatchling that chomps up the plant or something.

hythloday

Chompy the Karka would be adorable. Go get me the onions, Chompy!

You know what. I have made an executive decision.

Henceforth, I will refer to all karkas as "Chompy."

Lunar15

Well, yeah. But the fact that the sickle is probably the least used tool is all the more reason for them to give it an amazing animation. Personally, I won't be getting this one because I hardly use the sickle. I'd be more inclined to get it if it had a great, unique animation.

Have it spawn a karka hatchling that chomps up the plant or something.

I think it would have been neat if it spread some fervid censers out from the plant you're harvesting.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Even if the animation and sound is a bug, just reskinning the lava animation to water is extremely lazy for something they want us to spend $10 on.

Hopefully it's just temporary...
In this particular case I do disagree, and while I certainly wouldn't have minded it being priced cheaper, I think the gem cost is fair in that it's equivalent to the pick in function, whereas in terms of it having a special shiny animation I don't care particularly much. It made sense for the molten pick, but this is just a Consortium-made sickle, why does water spring out of the ground anyway? I'd have no feelings one way or another about purchasing it if it had no visual effect whatsoever; I didn't expect it to.

Much more of a concern for me personally is the fact that the use animation and audio is simply broken. You hit the plant like it's an ore node. Just needs a hotfix :p

edit: Aha, heeere we go

Retro

- Added new island-wide meta-event where players defend and liberate the new settlements across Southsun Cove. If players hold all four settlements, merchants will become available with unique items, and there is a chance that an Enraged Karka Queen boss will spawn.

The Enraged Karka Queen boss event rewards large boss chests like other world bosses and gives two guaranteed rare or better items once per day.

- Added four new items as rare rewards to all Southsun Cove content. These items are tradable and soulbound on use.

- Added a new guild puzzle to Snowden Drifts.

We still struggle with the guild puzzles (though mostly due to lag / latecomers), and they're already throwing another one in.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The Southsun meta is multi-player triggered, and has a better than typical reward. Daaang.

Does this mean the full event can spring as early as today though? What happens on June 5th then I wonder

Game Optimization
Continued optimizations to the game to improve server performance and work toward eliminating lag during large encounters. We’ll be continuing to improve performance in this area in upcoming releases and provide as optimal an experience as possible with large numbers of players on screen.

They are getting close to eliminating culling! Yes!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The WvW chests are yet another way to get Ascended rings! Rofl.

Basically the WvW merchants are a 10 laurel discount on rings or amulets for 250 badges (selling accessories for the same 40 laurels/50 ectos). Not bad, really, when you work in the additional badges and potential ectos from the WvW chests. It's certainly now viable to get full ascended pieces except a back slot item without leaving the Mists.

Spectator mode goodies are excellent too.
Encumbered state now automatically resolves with empty inventory slots
Little thing but this will be a load off for inventory jugglers like myself.
Temple of Lyssa: Creatures no longer benefit from multiple scaling buffs at the same time.
Neat, haven't been back since right after the last patch.

Looks like a nice bunch of class bug fixes too.

Looks like a nice bunch of class bug fixes too.

Yep, the +33% increase to pretty much all Ranger underwater projectiles is going to come in handy; they did feel slow, but I guess being underwater, it made sense. :D

Which reminds me I never got around to try the new, faster axes as well...

Also I just watched the sickle's animation on Dulfy and it's quite cooler than I expected from all the hate. Not sure if you guys noticed, but it's NOT simply a recolored lava geyser; in particular, vines, roots and small flowers also sprout from the ground, much like in the Ranger's Healing Spring. I'd even be perfectly good with the mining pick animation if it was only the first strike, it looks badass; you sure show that onion who's boss. :D

hythloday

I hereby dub the late ancient Karka "Chompsworth McChompsalot".

kara7sebn.png

(credit to Retro, I only commissioned it!)

Jira

Gotta get the whole thing in there hawk.

wVE8IdG.png

So considering Dragon Bash isn't tied to any real event, it can last as long as it needs to. So my guess is it will last till June 24th which is the next patch after the June 11th(Dragon Bash).

You need to right-click on the exe and go to properties and check the compatibility mode settings. It should be set for Windows XP SP2... I can't explain what would cause it to lose those settings all of a sudden, but that's the error you get if it's not set to that mode. :/

It happens from time to time, it seems that Windows 7 derps every so often and "forgets" the compatibility mode options. As Hawkian mentioned, just right-click the .exe and select Windows XP SP2 (or SP3?). It's in the instructions as well.

Thank you good sirs. It was late after a long day and I couldn't recall where to tweak those settings. I feel really derpy now. I will check this when I get home tonight! I had to run a fractal with keyboard and mouse...never again!

Time to read the patch notes.

Lunar15

Investigational Research:

Exhibit A: Anet renames Dragon Festival to Dragon Bash

Exhibit B: Anet adds pinatas to Black Lion Store

Conclusion: Anet is totally making dragon themed pinatas for the Dragon Bash.

Taffer

The Southsun meta is multi-player triggered, and has a better than typical reward. Daaang.

Does this mean the full event can spring as early as today though? What happens on June 5th then I wonder

People have been working to hold all the camps for a bit now and no queen yet, also:

Hey folks,

We’re having a small issue with our patch notes we are attempting to resolve currently. The Meta Event is not yet active on the island.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/southsun/YES-YES-THANK-YOU-ANET/first#post2106502

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Makes sense.. so yeah, it becomes active on the 5th. So fear not Crazed Karka Queen hunters, all shall come in time.

I wonder what the merchants that become active sell. Exotic gear would make sense honestly, to mirror Orr, but beyond that? New stat combo?

Makes sense.. so yeah, it becomes active on the 5th. So fear not Crazed Karka Queen hunters, all shall come in time.

I wonder what the merchants that become active sell. Exotic gear would make sense honestly, to mirror Orr, but beyond that? New stat combo?

Isn't the settler stuff a new stat combo anyway? Healing, Toughness and Condition Damage.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeh. The matching armor pieces from the vendors you can unlock through the Meta would definitely make sense.

Interesting combo too. I might well like that for a build or two...

Katoki

Welp, that sounds...tepid.

Finishing out the workday got a bit easier.

I don't start for another hour and a half and won't be playing for seven. They don't sound particularly excited in game right now either but I'm not in there to play. I did notice the custom arena game-time tokens though... anyone know any more about those?

Just echoing what Retro just stated, I have no buyers remorse towards my gems/initial purchase of this game.

I don't have remorse for any of the things I bought except for the sickle only due to realizing how little I'm going to use it. Plants are single-collect with the exception of the rare occasion where you get more whereas saplings and ore nodes are normally 3+.

Chompy the Karka would be adorable. Go get me the onions, Chompy!

You know what. I have made an executive decision.

Henceforth, I will refer to all karkas as "Chompy."

All in for the Chompy-sickle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom