• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Up to 98% and 97% on monthly event and vet completion, respectively. Following zergs in WvW make it relatively easy. The lag spikes are brutal though.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For now, at least, disappointing or not you can apparently get the dungeon reward once per character, so it might be worthwhile.

Apparently the WXP rate increase and addition WXP activities has made a pretty big impact. I'm really curious as to the drop rates for stuff in the bonus chests.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Is this game fairly well populated?

What would be a decent starting zone/class/whatever for a new player?
The population is quite healthy on our server (Stormbluff Isle).

Pick the class that interests you the most! Engineer and Elementalist are among the most complex, whereas Guardians and Warriors are thought to have an easier learning curve.

You can easily access any starting zone with your new character, from the Gate Hub in Lion's Arch.

If you're interested in joining the guild, just post your account name here!

danthefan

The population is quite healthy on our server (Stormbluff Isle).

Pick the class that interests you the most! Engineer and Elementalist are among the most complex, whereas Guardians and Warriors are thought to have an easier learning curve.

You can easily access any starting zone with your new character, from the Gate Hub in Lion's Arch.

If you're interested in joining the guild, just post your account name here!

Cheers, though downloading a crapton of updates at the moment so doubt I'll even get to play today at this rate.

Katoki

Yeah, I shudder to think how long it'd take to get a new install caught up with all the updates that've come out in the past 10 months. As of right now, my GW2 folder is backed up when I remember to do it on two different drives in case of emergency.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Datamined:
109814_0598 Click here to list your party for others to be able to search for.
109814_0599 You must select a filter from the left before you can advertise your group.
109814_0600 Your group is current listed for other players to find.
109828_0719 Filter descriptions
109828_0720 Refresh
109828_0721 Advertise Your Group
109828_0722 Group description
109828_0945 Join
109828_0959 Full
109828_0960 This group is currently full and cannot be joined.
109828_0961 Available Spot
109814_0106 Find others to help you in this month's Living World content.
109831_0726 Ascalonian Catacombs
Story recommended level: 30
Explorable recommended level: 35
109814_0107 Caudecus's Manor
Story recommended level: 40
Explorable recommended level: 45
109814_0108 Twlight Arbor
Story recommended level: 50
Explorable recommended level: 55
109814_0109 Sorrow's Embrace
Story recommended level: 60
Explorable recommended level: 65
109814_0110 Citadel of Flame
Story recommended level: 70
Explorable recommended level: 75
109814_0111 Honor of the Waves
Story recommended level: 76
Explorable recommended level: 80
109814_0112 Crucible of Eternity
Story recommended level: 78
109814_0113 The Ruined City of Arah
Story recommended level: 80
109814_0114 Entry-level Fractals with basic rewards.
109814_0115 Intermediate Fractals with better rewards and a chance of obtaining Ascended Rings.
109814_0116 Advanced Fractal levels with a chance of obtaining Infused Ascended Rings.
109814_0117 Rated PvP matches, for competitive play and leaderboard rating.
109814_0118 Unrated
109814_0119 Unrated PvP matches, for more casual play.
109814_0120 Eternal Battlegrounds
Find a group to take supply camps, towers, or keeps in the Eternal Battlegrounds.
109814_0121 Red Borderlands
109814_0122 Red Borderlands
Find a group to take supply camps, towers, or keeps in the Red Borderlands.
109814_0123 Blue Borderlands
109814_0124 Blue Borderlands
Find a group to take supply camps, towers, or keeps in the Blue Borderlands.
109814_0125 Green Borderlands
109814_0126 Green Borderlands
Find a group to take supply camps, towers, or keeps in the Green Borderlands.
109814_0127 Find players to help you through your personal story.
;)

Katoki

I can only see using that as a last resort for that last player if we're short. I'm too used to GAF or no run to solely use an in-game LFG system. Even if people aren't experienced, they're more likely to listen unlike random people on the internet.

Katoki

At work watching a video of a CoF 1 speedrun as I wait for the machine we're going to update and pull an image from to finish it's re-image...

Want single berserker warrior every time to do gate controller. As a thief we still need to pop thieves guild to get that kind of output while worrying about our own survival to begin with.

Edit: Was reading the patch updates since I had more time to sit and read as opposed to prior to getting ready for work. It's nice we're also getting chests for every level we've already earned but I'm going to need to put in some serious time to hit level 30 to collect them all to see what pops out of them.

I'm glad they're going to add a group finder; we might not need it at all, but it's a pretty common complaint/request from people outside the guild and it's something that will improve the game experience for a lot of people. It's quite cool that they threw in WvW grouping as well, didn't think of that. :)

Levyne

Banned
In case anyone is curious. The explorable mode UI chest is per account. Tried doing it on another char within the same day (duh) and nothing. You get the regular chest everytime but it is similar quality to an instigator chest.

Oh, and in as few words as possible, stack on the first nearby gas mine in boss chamber for the easiest time against NULL.

docbon

Another thing to note: The settler's jewelry that drops from the southsun event is a new stat combo, toughness / healing / condition. Didn't realize it at first.

Another thing to note: The settler's jewelry that drops from the southsun event is a new stat combo, toughness / healing / condition. Didn't realize it at first.

You are so slow.

This is what happens when you stop playing and you just follow easy everywhere!

Proven

Honestly, I hope the Dragon Bash actually involves us beating up a dragon. A new dragon lieutenant event in some old zone would be fun.
Datamined:

;)
Finally! It's LFG!

You are so slow.

This is what happens when you stop playing and you just follow easy everywhere!

As a note, it's just Apocathery gear, now in trinket version (before you could only get the armor pieces and that was by using passiflora flowers). Which also reminds me that it's just the PvP version of Shaman's gear, since they nerfed the PvE version by replacing the Toughness with Vitality.

I'm still peeved by some of the random armor differences. I wish they would rename some things to be the same between the two modes already.

Edit: For some reason, I decided to check on my Thief and realize I already had passiflora trinkets on him. Huh. So they already existed. Time to get them upgraded I guess.

Levyne

Banned
Seems like NULL exp mode can be done daily but the solo story mode is once per character, period. I guess you could keep making level 1 alts if you wanted. I don't have the patience.

Edit: I suppose there is a chance it resets on something like 24 hours, but if exp. resets with the daily and story does not..

Cels

every patch anet finds a way to break something about mesmers. now buffs will bounce to clones instead of player characters. noticed it on GS 2, haven't tested with staff yet but other people are reporting the same problem with it so i'll take their word for it.

markot

Banned
Yeah, I shudder to think how long it'd take to get a new install caught up with all the updates that've come out in the past 10 months. As of right now, my GW2 folder is backed up when I remember to do it on two different drives in case of emergency.

When you download the game its the full game all the time.

You dont need to patch at all.

leng jai

every patch anet finds a way to break something about mesmers. now buffs will bounce to clones instead of player characters. noticed it on GS 2, haven't tested with staff yet but other people are reporting the same problem with it so i'll take their word for it.

Yep, it's a joke unfortunately.

I also find it ridiculous they keep selling more minis on the gem store but can't be bothered fixing them. For something so simple they are broken in two fundamental ways.

1. No dedicated slot in the hero pane. The fact you have to store them in an inventory and carry around every single one you want is nonsense. That's not even taking into account the whole deposit collectibles debacle.

2. Do Anet think it's cool that you can never actually see your minipet while traversing since they're lagging 10 years behind? Buff their reaction time or something mang.

Kard8p3

So, I have a twenty five dollar gift card for Amazon, is this game worth 25 bucks? I was semi interested in it before it came out but never got a chance to grab it. Is the game still popular? Do many on GAF still play?

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, the Guild is still very active and lots of gaffers seem active in the OT without even being in or representing it (though I suggest joining!). And I would say the game is definitely worth 25 dollars.

Make sure you read up though to see if the game is similar/dissimilar to your other mmo interests if you have/had any. There's no trinity or raiding, for instance.

:)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, I have a twenty five dollar gift card for Amazon, is this game worth 25 bucks? I was semi interested in it before it came out but never got a chance to grab it. Is the game still popular? Do many on GAF still play?
Hehe well, think of it as being $50. Are you interested in an MMO for that much? Bear in mind you get, you know, a full MMO you can play forever.

Is it worth $25 is a bit of a joke :p

Even though leng jai is pissed about his beloved Mesmer Adriaaa getting hosed in the patch today, he plays all the time and so do about 40-odd members. In total we have well over 300 members but many are very casual, which we welcome.

Retro

Asking the community OT if a particular game is worth $25, when a lot of people in here (myself included) spent $150 for the Collector's Edition, is going to yield answers only at the extremes. Yes, a lot of people would say it is worth $25, most would say it's worth double that. A few haters will also chime in and tell you the game is a terrible grind-fest they stopped playing a month after release (but somehow still stalk the active community OT...). A few threads on gaming side have asked that exact question, and most answers fall between "Yes" and "I got my money's worth." If you know what you're getting into with an MMO, chances are good you'll enjoy it enough to get your money's worth. If you get hooked, you might play it for years and then yes, it is absolutely worth the price.

The other questions are easier to answer. Yes, the game is still very popular; most severs are Very High population or Full. GW2 is one of only three major MMOs to avoid the dreaded post-launch bubble and continue to grow after the first few months (when most players chasing the next big thing move on). The other two were WoW and EVE.

Yes, there are many GAFers who play, the GAFGuild fields about 10-20 concurrent players at all times, ~40 at peak hours, 50+ on the weekends. I've never once logged on and been alone.

leng jai

25 bones is a bargain and GAF guild is as strong as it was day one.

jersoc

you'll get your monies worth even if you hit 80 and never play again.

speaking of someone who got bored, quit for a few months and came back during the winter stuff. I think it's vastly been worth it now. I got really bored because my playtimes is late at night and there wasn't at the time much to do but run instances and no lfg system i stopped cause of it.

the guild missions are great fun. i can only do the stuff on weekends and theres about 20'ish people that join in the fun. it's a great way to hang out with the guild and talk to members and kil some monsters for loots. I guess this is the closest thing we have to raiding and I'm ok with it.

But now we've been getting stuff for 2 months on a 2 week cycle. It's been great stuff too. they've also fixed a lot of issues like culling in wvw and soon pve, they are going to rework percursors for legendaries, and added more stuff in wvw.

The only thing they need to work on is classes. Many are still broke and every classes talent trees need an overhaul. they are awful, you can go back some pages and see a pretty good discussion on that.

It's not perfect, but it's one of the best buy/free to play games yet, imo. If only secret world had more fluid combat :p

From what some of the NPCs have been saying it looks like the next update "Dragon Bash" will be happening in Southsun mostly and I am ok with that but I hope the next one starts another thread somewhere else in the world that people don't explore as much.

I'd love for them to do something with the Drummand Priory where most of the story happens around Timberline Falls and Lornar's Pass. Where we learn more about the history or something.

Another one I would like for them to explore, is that bridge in Brisbane Wildlands. Would be awesome if they used to living story to get that bridge completed and then use it to lead to another map or dungeon.

Hopefully the Dragon Bash/Festival will leave some kind of hints regarding where the living story is going next.

Lunar15

From what some of the NPCs have been saying it looks like the next update "Dragon Bash" will be happening in Southsun mostly and I am ok with that but I hope the next one starts another thread somewhere else in the world that people don't explore as much.

I'd love for them to do something with the Drummand Priory where most of the story happens around Timberline Falls and Lornar's Pass. Where we learn more about the history or something.

Another one I would like for them to explore, is that bridge in Brisbane Wildlands. Would be awesome if they used to living story to get that bridge completed and then use it to lead to another map or dungeon.

Hopefully the Dragon Bash/Festival will leave some kind of hints regarding where the living story is going next.

A dragon will crash it, sets up for the next expansion.

I want a living story to go to the Tengu area. Because that blank area between kessex and lions arch pisses me off.

No race in Guild Wars 2 is so underused as Tengu.

The game begs for bird-man.

1) Bird-Man, highly unique in MMO.

2) The long development window for first expansion could mean that they have heard the cries for Cantha (more so than Elona, Cyrstal Desert, Maguuma Waste, Home le Oblivion). That expansion would be about Bird-Men taking back their home.
Introduced, asian style maps, music, art, weapons, hairstyles, armors and creatures.
Of all things Guild Wars, Factions had some of the best music, undoubtly the best art and they are one of the only western companies that managed to take a eastern style and go somewhere new with it.

3) Karka story leading up to be coming from jade sea. don't poplute the tyrian north eastern garbage patch, kids.

4) Kodan, not unique enough. want to diversify from Panda. Already enough Icy areas.

But we all know the truth. We all know Quaggan and Skritt are stars, but these comical sub races are not candidates. they lack the finesse to work. It's too bad because I love them so much. They are really some of the best creatures I have seen in a fantasy game in a very long time.

For me the game is easily worth 150$ or more. I still love it after almost a year of playing pretty much daily, they keep adding awesome stuff at no cost... even at, say, 100$ it would be close to the best value ever for a game. I simply cannot parse it being sold at less than 50$, it's an event that doesn't compute for me, like dividing by zero.

I've never once logged on and been alone.

I think I've never logged on and seen less than five people, even during Euro morning (3-8 AM US).

No race in Guild Wars 2 is so underused as Tengu.

The game begs for bird-man.

1) Bird-Man, highly unique in MMO.
You are so right. I just feel like they will probably not do anything with them till they are ready to talk about expansions. I cannot wait to make a Tengu Guardian or Thief.

2) The long development window for first expansion could mean that they have heard the cries for Cantha (more so than Elona, Cyrstal Desert, Maguuma Waste, Home le Oblivion). That expansion would be about Bird-Men taking back their home.
Introduced, asian style maps, music, art, weapons, hairstyles, armors and creatures.
Of all things Guild Wars, Factions had some of the best music, undoubtly the best art and they are one of the only western companies that managed to take a eastern style and go somewhere new with it.
If they focus on Cantha as an expansion then I'm pretty sure the Tengu city will be what leads us there because of the Tengu's strong connection with Cantha.

3) Karka story leading up to be coming from jade sea. don't poplute the tyrian north eastern garbage patch, kids.
I wonder if there is some connection between the Karka and the Kraken in the Jade Fractal. What if the Kraken is one of the lieutenants of the sea-dragon "Bubbles", like Shatterer is for Kralkatorrik!

4) Kodan, not unique enough. want to diversify from Panda. Already enough Icy areas.
I really have no interest in the Kodan becoming a playable race because they just seem like hairier-calmer Norn and I don't think they can differentiate them enough.

I really have no interest in the Kodan becoming a playable race because they just seem like hairier-calmer Norn and I don't think they can differentiate them enough.

I think so too. Once I had 100% Frostgorge Sound, i was a bit puzzled that I felt I had exhausted their culture enough. But coming off lots of Norse-icy fantasy in games and tv and books over the last few years maybe its not so strange.

Each festive dragon coffer commonly contains candy, tonics, or fireworks. It may also rarely contain a Mini Holo Undead Dragon Knight, recipes, or a Dragon's Jade Weapon Skin Ticket.
From data mine.

Looks like another set of RNG weapons incoming....

Not an MMO guy at all but I've dropped over 150 hrs into the game and I'm still having fun. Game is beautiful, combat is hectic and fun, they've refined / improved / removed a ton of systems that I found tedious in more traditional MMOs, there is always something to do whether whether you have 30 mins or 3 hours plus the GAF guild is awesome.

So yea, buy it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom