• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

Jade weapon? Ugh. That sounds like something I'd actually want, if it has a similar look to the jade sea fractal area.

Just let me flat out buy these things, ANet.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Jade weapon? Ugh. That sounds like something I'd actually want,
Yeah. I probably won't buy anything with cash to spin the wheel, but I can see myself wasting an awful lot of gold by conversion trying to get a couple tickets. :'( A jade axe and potentially a jade pistol are very intriguing.
if it has a similar look to the jade sea fractal area.
Bah! The Fractal is an homage!
mount-qinkai_entry.jpg

fain022.jpg

site-thumb-luxon-am.jpg

Levyne

Banned
It would be nice if they left a method of obtaining them in the game somehow, even if it's just rng but still available. I'm thinking like fractal weapons only a token to trade instead of a weapon. Like re purpose the Molten Facility somehow and make the fuse ticket a possible chest item. Make the sclerite ticket a possible drop from Karka Queen chest? I dunno. Maybe just make the tickets gem store items.

nataku

Bah! The Fractal is an homage!

Oh, I know. I just love the shaders and look of the jade sea in the GW2 engine, which is why I mentioned it specifically. It looks so amazing. The jade sea was one of my favorite areas in GW1 and was really happy to see it in the GW2 engine.

A shame it's all melted. :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
People need to stop giving them money for this garbage.

And I'm pretty sure they will eventually.
That sounds fantastic, and is of course the only thing that would get them to alter their methodology to no longer include premium skins behind boxes/black lion chests with a low random chance of acquisition. This is the kind of thing that no individual player should support on an individual level, because the odds are stacked so unbelievably poorly against you.

I don't really share your optimism though. I'm certain they are basing their introductions of gem store items based on the actual measurable spending habits of players in-game. I imagine there are days when it actually makes them laugh a little bit seeing how much players are legitimately spending on the items, while ostensibly railing against them as offensive and disingenuous business practices on the web. Granted, a large chunk of the profits on such items may very well come from people who never, ever post on forums about the game (which is to say, a majority of the playerbase).
Oh, I know. I just love the shaders and look of the jade sea in the GW2 engine. It looks so amazing. The jade sea was one of my favorite areas in GW1.

A shame it's all melted. :(
Oh I gotcha. The shaders are gorgeous for sure.
It would be nice if they left a method of obtaining them in the game somehow, even if it's just rng but still available. I'm thinking like fractal weapons only a token to trade instead of a weapon. Like re purpose the Molten Facility somehow and make the fuse ticket a possible chest item. Make the sclerite ticket a possible drop from Karka Queen chest? I dunno. Maybe just make the tickets gem store items.
Well, this is how it is right now with the crates dropping in Southsun, right? They're available in-game with extreme RNG, without involving the Gem Store at all.

What everyone really wants is for them to just be made explicitly available for a hard gem cost in the store (precedent being the Wintersday weapon skins). But the reasons they don't have much incentive to do that at this point should be obvious :p

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I find Mesmer to be the class I have the most fun with.

Problem is, unlike my Guardian, Necro or Warrior...it's dangerous to leave him afk near mobs for too long. :-/

Complistic

Those RNG skins as they are now just make shrug. I see people with the zomg awesome Fused Greatsword and I just say to myself, so what, I could of had it too if I wanted to spend $50 on keys. It just really cheapens them imo.

Making crates as rare drops is a step in the right direction I suppose.

Retro

Retro used MEGA POST!
It is highly effective!!
Wall-of-Text crits you for 9999 Damage.
You are Dead.
Retry?
> Yes
No

the guild missions are great fun. i can only do the stuff on weekends and theres about 20'ish people that join in the fun. it's a great way to hang out with the guild and talk to members and kil some monsters for loots. I guess this is the closest thing we have to raiding and I'm ok with it.

I'd go a step further and say it's better than raiding simply because there's no limit on how many people can attend. Nobody is fighting for a slot in a 40/25/20/10-man raid, nor does the content require 40/25/20/10 people to complete (The Langmar Estate puzzle seems to require at least 12, though I bet with some skill you could do it with 8). Instantly the drama of fighting to get into a raid or being pissed that enough people didn't show is removed.

Hell, you don't even need to be in the guild to do the content, as we discovered with Jackstack this weekend. A random level 8 Charr Warrior who had never played an MMO before GW2 runs into the GAF army stomping through Plains of Ashford enroute to the Estate and decides to tag along. He helped us do the Gallery portion with a bare minimum of explanation and managed to get the Splendid Chest at the end (though I think he missed the basic one in the well, and he missed out on commendations).

For those who missed it, we invited him to the guild after and it's been fun having him around.

Let's see raiding pick up a random low-level newbie and bring him along for the ride, and allow him to actually contribute in a meaningful way. Just ain't happening outside GW2, at least not in a AAA MMO.

Should a drive from Minnesota to NOrth Carolina take a whole week?

It shouldn't. Google Maps puts it at 18 hours, roughly, so with two people driving that should be an easy drive. For reference, when I moved from Northern Indiana to Philadelphia, it was 13 hours straight and alone. It sucks, but you can do it. I certainly wouldn't want to stop anywhere with my entire life in the back of the car or an easily-stolen trailer.

From what some of the NPCs have been saying it looks like the next update "Dragon Bash" will be happening in Southsun mostly and I am ok with that but I hope the next one starts another thread somewhere else in the world that people don't explore as much.

It makes sense to do these things in Southsun and Lion's Arch because those are both easily accessible and the content has been built to scale up new players. That's really the biggest restriction on holidays; making sure everyone is able to participate.

Hopefully the Dragon Bash/Festival will leave some kind of hints regarding where the living story is going next.

I don't think we need to wait that long. I haven't done Canach's Lair yet so I don't know if it's explained, but I would be willing to bet the wildlife-aggravating flowers he's been using didn't just fall out of the sky. They came from somewhere, and the Maguuma Jungle is as a good a guess as any. We already know there's at least another Pale Tree in there, who knows what else?

I want a living story to go to the Tengu area. Because that blank area between kessex and lions arch pisses me off.

Yeah, my OCD kicks in unusually hard when I see that giant gap in my map too.

I think I've never logged on and seen less than five people, even during Euro morning (3-8 AM US).

Yeah, I actually typed that first, but I wasn't 100% sure if that's always been the case, though it certainly seems right. I get on at 9am on a weekday and there's usually enough people on to do anything I would want to do.

I didn't want to say for sure though because I always expect the familiar frowny faces to show up the instant I say anything that could be taken as the slightest exaggeration.

Jade weapon? Ugh. That sounds like something I'd actually want, if it has a similar look to the jade sea fractal area.

Just let me flat out buy these things, ANet.

On one hand, I would love it if I could buy stuff directly. I would have re-rolled a Charr Warrior on the spot if I had gotten a Greatsaw weapon skin. I think if I managed to get one even today, having 100% WC and two full sets of gear on Dhalion, I would still restart a Charr Warrior as a new main. I think it's that fitting.

But on the other hand, I know that if everyone had one of those skins, it would greatly lose a lot of the appeal. It wouldn't be quite as badass.

I think the RNG chests (especially the ones that needed to be opened with BLKeys for Halloween) are lame, but I do think that some degree of exclusivity is needed, and more than just a paywall. I still see (well, mostly hear) Super Adventure Box weapons around, but not everyone has them. I see people with GW2 Heirloom stuff, but not everywhere. I think as time goes on and new content keeps coming, there will be fewer and fewer of those things out there, making them more unique.

I dunno. If everyone gets something cool, it's not as cool. But I would at least better odds than the current RNG hosing.

Is there a particular server all the Euro GAF types are playing on?

Most of our EU players transitioned over to the NA server, Stormbluff Isle, and the few that didn't transfer before the stopped being free have either paid to come over or we've all chipped in to buy them gems and bring them over (big thanks to Arken for doing this... twice...). There are a few holdouts waiting for international guesting (which we haven't heard anything about, so don't hold your breath on that), but I think most EU players would agree that there's little to no latency or lag issues playing on an NA server from the EU.

Katoki

I wish these current tokens were trade-able since I seriously have no interest in these current weapons. Also... why has no one mentioned the data-mined back-to-school outfit? lol

I dunno. If everyone gets something cool, it's not as cool. But I would at least better odds than the current RNG hosing.

But the problem is that it's crap because you get a karka shell, and you get a karka shell, and you get a karka shell... everyone gets karka shells!

Right now the system is terrible because it's an all or nothing type of deal. There aren't too many other mention-able "okay" items in any sort of box still yet.

Levyne

Banned
How have I amassed so much southsun shit and no tokens/tickets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

Menelaus

Banned
So...I'm still playing on the Henge server, which is listed as a very high pop. Trouble is, whenever I go to play PvE (which is what I mostly play), zones are barren. Right now, in fact, I'm sitting in Divinity's Reach, and there is no /map chatter. I haven't seen a single player.

I know it's the middle of the day, but I've had this problem in the evenings. I'd consider a world transfer, but what good would that do if the Henge is listed as one of the most densely populated servers?

Any ideas?

Complistic

I wish these current tokens were trade-able since I seriously have no interest in these current weapons. Also... why has no one mentioned the data-mined back-to-school outfit? lol

But the problem is that it's crap because you get a karka shell, and you get a karka shell, and you get a karka shell... everybody gets a karka shell!

Right now the system is terrible because it's an all or nothing type of deal. There aren't too many other mention-able "okay" items in any sort of box still yet.

It should be Every crate you opens contains a token. Get so many tokens and you can trade it in for a weapon ticket. That way you're guaranteed to get it eventually but can still luck out and get it on your first one.

So...I'm still playing on the Henge server, which is listed as a very high pop. Trouble is, whenever I go to play PvE (which is what I mostly play), zones are barren. Right now, in fact, I'm sitting in Divinity's Reach, and there is no /map chatter. I haven't seen a single player.

I know it's the middle of the day, but I've had this problem in the evenings. I'd consider a world transfer, but what good would that do if the Henge is listed as one of the most densely populated servers?

Any ideas?

You should transfer over to SBI there is people everywhere.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I find Mesmer to be the class I have the most fun with.

Problem is, unlike my Guardian, Necro or Warrior...it's dangerous to leave him afk near mobs for too long. :-/
Katoki and Hythloday were just talking about how they found the fluidity of movement on Thief to be very fun compared to Mesmer (swiftness on dodge sort of changes everything, IMO!). I tend to agree. The GW2 Thief is extremely close to what I'd get if I designed an MMO class myself. With a controller when I'm in the zone, it legitimately feels like an action game.

On my Mesmer, the word that really comes to mind in contrast is "deliberate." Everything I do while playing my Mesmer is calculated and deliberate. That's not to say "slow" or "boring" to any extent, but it's a very very different feeling. When playing my Mesmer if something goes wrong, it's because I mistimed a shatter or hit the wrong skill or popped something out of range, and I get punished for it.

Playing my Mesmer is trying to perfectly execute a series of commands without being distracted or interrupted (and everything just dies when I succeed), whereas playing my Thief is more improvisational, active and reactive. However, when specced for damage my Thief is just hilariously squishy compared to my Mesmer even with the higher armor class, and as much as I miss the mobility and "any way I feel like" attack options on my Mesmer, I find myself missing my misdirection, utility survivability options from my Mesmer.

Southsun is a great example. I don't know if my experience is similar to what you all have had, but playing on my Thief requires me to play at my absolute best at all times to survive. Everything can kill me, I need to jump-in-jump-out a lot to do damage without taking too much in return, and a mistimed dodge on a projectile can send me to the ground. It's a lot of fun and rewarding to push my skill level and be successful. On my Mesmer, unless something goes horribly awry... everything just dies. Feedback confusion kill everything and then kill them some more, and tougher enemies are too busy pecking at my clones to threaten me. It's a whole different ballgame.

They're both truly great classes. I don't think I'll find that I like any of the rest quite as much, personally, though all the ones I've tried at least seem like fun.

Is there a particular server all the Euro GAF types are playing on?
Stormbluff Isle, everybody on Stormbluff Isle.

Levyne

Banned
I don't know about regular zones but I am not surprised Divinity's Reach is barren. I am unsure if there's anything to do there, I can't really recall the last time I've spent an appreciable amount of time there.

SirKhalid

Right now, in fact, I'm sitting in Divinity's Reach, and there is no /map chatter. I haven't seen a single player.

I don't think there would be many players in Divinity's Reach. Lion's Arch is kinda the main city, Heart of Mists bring your there and Fractal is there.

Menelaus

Banned
I don't think there would be many players in Divinity's Reach. Lion's Arch is kinda the main city. Hearts of mist bring your there and Fractal is there.

Ok, DR may have been a bad choice as my example, but the point about PvE, even in the evening, remains. I'll guest on SBI and check it out, thanks!

Shanlei91

Playing my Mesmer is trying to perfectly execute a series of commands without being distracted or interrupted (and everything just dies when I succeed), whereas playing my Thief is more improvisational, active and reactive. However, when specced for damage my Thief is just hilariously squishy compared to my Mesmer even with the higher armor class, and as much as I miss the mobility and "any way I feel like" attack options on my Mesmer, I find myself missing my misdirection, utility survivability options from my Mesmer.

Thief sounds fun but I just can't get into the initiative system. I like my cool downs and not having to maintain my ability to do anything.

I built my Mesmer to be a glass cannon because I love the mentality of the class that if I do everything right, time it all perfectly, I basically won't be touched. So if I go down, it's my own fault.

On the flip side, my Guardian can basically stand in place and not die to anything outside of a dungeon. Going from a tank to a guy who is squishy is a bit of a shock but I find it to be extremely rewarding when I don't get killed.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I mean after the crates are gone.
OOoh, permanently.

Well, I'm of two minds on this. Ambivalent! Since we're talking prestige aesthetic gear, no matter how much issue I might find with the methods by which it is acquired, I can't get worked up over it being extremely limited, rare, or temporary. I personally am the type that enjoys the idea of running into skins I can't personally get- or potentially having one that others can't get. It adds to the appeal for me as much as it takes it away from others.

That said, maybe a valid compromise would be to have "throwback" events every so often, where limited skins are once again made available for a limited time.
Those RNG skins as they are now just make shrug. I see people with the zomg awesome Fused Greatsword and I just say to myself, so what, I could of had it too if I wanted to spend $50 on keys. It just really cheapens them imo.
Actually, this might be counterintuitive, but I don't think this particular angle is a solid argument.

Because the RNG is ostensibly truly random, you can't really say "oh if I'd just spent $50 I'd have one too." Indeed you could have spent nothing, had a single chest drop and gotten a ticket on your first try. Conversely, you could spend $50, $100, $200 on crates without obtaining a single one. The fact that these skins are obtained this way might cheapen their appeal to you, but it's because they indicate good luck, and nothing about the amount of money spent.

Just to take this to its logical conclusion, consider literally any weapon on the trading post right now. Regardless of the prestige/method of legitimate acquisition/inherent rarity of that item, if you just buy enough gems and convert them to gold you can have that item. Of course, at the most extreme end of the spectrum, you could spend a paycheck and outright buy a legendary weapon. But when you see a legendary weapon, it's very unlikely that you think, "so what, I could have one too if I just spent $800 on gems!"

In my opinion it's a much more compelling point that no matter how much money you spend on boxes, you might not ever get a skin. That devalues them to me more than the idea that someone might have spent more real money to get one.
It should be Every crate you opens contains a token. Get so many tokens and you can trade it in for a weapon ticket. That way you're guaranteed to get it eventually but can still luck out and get it on your first one.
Yeah I'm down with that idea. Reward the people who keep trying despite bad luck. Of course, while this would benefit the individual player it would also continue to encourage more "gambling." :p

Any ideas?
Specifically, I don't know much about Henge at all, but:

1) There is literally no reason for anyone to be in Divinity's Reach right now (a shame, cause it's a gorgeous city)
2) You need to consider what you're doing when witnessing low pop density to gauge whether or not it's legit. Besides sitting in an empty city, what are you doing where you see low pops?
3) Server Population doesn't indicate anything about population density, just total poulation. "All" of Henge might be in Southsun, in Orr, doing Fractals, in WvW, doing the World Event Train, or spread out so thin across the whole world that you barely ever run into anyone. There's no way to tell that- again, literally every NA server is at Very High or Full population.
4) Bear in mind you can guest to any 2 servers once per 24 hours, as many times as you like. Depending on the issues you're seeing, this might be all you need.
5) Stormbuff Isle has a very active population and it's where we all are, so I wouldn't really recommend anything else for a transfer.

Retro

Why has no one mentioned the data-mined back-to-school outfit? lol

But the problem is that it's crap because you get a karka shell, and you get a karka shell, and you get a karka shell... everybody gets a karka shell!

I don't have any characters I want to dress up as a naughty school girl?

As far as giving cool stuff away, it's mostly just that nothing in these sets appeals to a lot of us. The Censer is alright, as is the tentacle backpack, but not for everyone. Likewise, the weapons aren't that great for everyone either. I think in this case, the freebies and the more RNG-based stuff is too similar in their appeal, which is just too narrow. The cash-shop options are non-existent, unless you count the minipets as part of the whole Karka package (and I wouldn't).

I still think it should be RNG + Tokens. You open a box (which drops rarely, but not RARELY) and it has a chance to drop an item, but always drops a token. Get a certain number of tokens and you can trade straight for an item.

And yes, making the tokens transferable or exchangeable would be nice. I have a Karka Weapon token that's going to sit into my bank forever because I don't like any of the choices. I also wish I could pass them off to other people, at least. I feel bad having gotten one when I don't really want it.

Any ideas?

Most of the major cities are underpopulated because there just aren't any reasons to go there. Lion's Arch is usually crowded, try that instead.

[Raid versus guild missions]

100% agreed. I could barely stand raiding in WoW, and did it very sparingly mostly to just see the content. The fixed raid size and composition is an insanely stringent limitation to just playing and having fun. Further, for me the elephant in the room is the fact that a lot of raid fights are pretty much the same for the DPS classes, which in turn are well over 50% of the players in a raid; just phone in your optimal rotation and don't step into the fire or whatever.

I didn't want to say for sure though because I always expect the familiar frowny faces to show up the instant I say anything that could be taken as the slightest exaggeration.

Actually, I think most of the familiar frowny faces have moved to greener pastures by now, right?

On one hand, I would love it if I could buy stuff directly. I would have re-rolled a Charr Warrior on the spot if I had gotten a Greatsaw weapon skin. I think if I managed to get one even today, having 100% WC and two full sets of gear on Dhalion, I would still restart a Charr Warrior as a new main. I think it's that fitting.

You technically can buy a Greatsaw "directly" (money -> gems -> gold -> TP); it will just set you back in the ballpark of 100$ :D.

But on the other hand, I know that if everyone had one of those skins, it would greatly lose a lot of the appeal. It wouldn't be quite as badass.

Indeed. I'm personally grateful that we can complain about purely aesthetic stuff. We already take for granted not having any gameplay stuff tied to the gem store; what better sign that this?

That's... kind of weird. There's always people in Divinity's Reach in SBI, I think, and that's even though I mostly play on hours that'd be weird for the US people. Divinity's Reach, as most capitals, isn't usually too populated (as there's not a lot of incentive to go there in the first place). For example, pretty much any event that yields a chest will have a zerg of players everytime it's on.

Any ideas?

As mentioned, why don't you guest on SBI and see if the numbers are more to your liking? The guild is doing stuff all the time so it's in your best interest anyway. :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I don't know about regular zones but I am not surprised Divinity's Reach is barren. I am unsure if there's anything to do there, I can't really recall the last time I've spent an appreciable amount of time there.
There is literally nothing to do there (though it's a popular RP destination).

A travesty. It's a remarkable city, and I don't use the word "city" as one typically does when talking about MMO population centers... it feels like a real city.
The Censer is alright, as is the tentacle backpack, but not for everyone.
Aaaaaactually, now that I think about it, I think the fact that the Sclerite Karka Shell is time-limited is far more troubling than anything we've talked about regarding RNG, limited-time skins, etc.

It's awesome that you can Ascend the Sclerite Karka Shell into a perma-account bound Ascended backpiece. But the stats (weirdly it's the new Settler's combo on the basic exotic, but becomes Apothecary's on the Ascended) are not available in any other existing back slot item to my knowledge, anywhere in the game.

Far from being a whatever-gated purely aesthetic prestige item, this is an easily obtainable, time-limited, but statistically unique item. Screw the skin, someone who wants that stat array for their character won't even be able to get it to transmute once the Southsun event is over. Nobody's up in arms about this just cause it's so easy to get right now :(

edit: Granted, this is a different sort of argument because it doesn't involve the Gem store. If an item with unique stats was only available in the Gem store I would be complaining more vocally than anyone else in here, in every available venue.

Thief sounds fun but I just can't get into the initiative system. I like my cool downs and not having to maintain my ability to do anything.
Hahaha. Liking cooldowns. That's rich! You got me good Kanik!

Initiative is the best goddam thing in the game holy god I love it
I built my Mesmer to be a glass cannon because I love the mentality of the class that if I do everything right, time it all perfectly, I basically won't be touched. So if I go down, it's my own fault.

On the flip side, my Guardian can basically stand in place and not die to anything outside of a dungeon. Going from a tank to a guy who is squishy is a bit of a shock but I find it to be extremely rewarding when I don't get killed.
Yup, that's exactly how I feel about my Mesmer. Totally different playstyle, extremely rewarding.

I agree on Guardian, despite mine only being level 30, it's plainly obvious it's simply an objectively easier class to play. There's nothing wrong with that, the classes shouldn't all be equally daunting for new players and having a guardian in a group is always wonderful. But yeah, going from my squishysquishy Thief to a Guardian even many levels below feels like easy mode in many regards. So many heals and blocks and boons...

Shambles

It would be neat if you could set your 'home city' such that going through the mists could take you to any of the major hubs instead of Lions Arch. They could either make it the users choice, have it based on your race, or simply have portals to all cities from the mists. The difference between users having to go to LA, WP to the asura gates, and than travel to the other cities is the difference between people setting up home base in other cities vs people only ever seeing Lions Arch.

Jira

109710_0634 You have received a gift!
109710_0636 A gift from %str1%

Gem gifting datamined or at least items themselves.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
It would be neat if you could set your 'home city' such that going through the mists could take you to any of the major hubs instead of Lions Arch. They could either make it the users choice, have it based on your race, or simply have portals to all cities from the mists. The difference between users having to go to LA, WP to the asura gates, and than travel to the other cities is the difference between people setting up home base in other cities vs people only ever seeing Lions Arch.
Eh travel to your race's home city should just be free! It would instantly incentivize players going to the other cities in the game for basic services and idling (at the expense of, you know, encouraging racial segregation :p)

Shanlei91

I agree on Guardian, despite mine only being level 30, it's plainly obvious it's simply an objectively easier class to play. There's nothing wrong with that, the classes shouldn't all be equally daunting for new players and having a guardian in a group is always wonderful. But yeah, going from my squishysquishy Thief to a Guardian even many levels below feels like easy mode in many regards. So many heals and blocks and boons...
And you're saying that without even being fully traited.

An AH Guardian doesn't even use his heal skill.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And you're saying that without even being fully traited.

An AH Guardian doesn't even use his heal skill.
Hah! It's so funny, after I made that post, I was thinking about how much I really dig all the classes and how diverse they are in everything from ease-of-play to action mechanics to group utility.

Like, sure Altruistic Healing means you may, you know... never die ever, but it won't stealth your entire party through 75% of the Risen in Arah, or strip 5 stacks of Defiant off Sotzz or Colossus in 2 seconds. I don't have any trouble understanding while most people would prefer the tankiness, but I'm all about the "this is a job for...." moments.

edit:

Cooler Master's response to my question about finding a compatible cooler with my backplate (I already found the kit elsewhere and ordered it, this is just funny to me). I showed him a picture:
Dear customer,

I am afraid that is a server socket that only allows server coolers. Our desktop products are not compatible with server motherboards. I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience on this matter.
It's an LGA1366 socket. Someone else must get how hilarious and a little disturbing his answer is :p

Eh travel to your race's home city should just be free! It would instantly incentivize players going to the other cities in the game for basic services and idling (at the expense of, you know, encouraging racial segregation :p)

I'm OK with racial segregation (in this context!); it would add to the flavor of the cities if most players, not only NPCs, on each were of the appropriate race.
Only thing is, I can already hear the complaints of player of "my city is near nowhere useful!", etc.

There is literally nothing to do there (though it's a popular RP destination).

A travesty. It's a remarkable city, and I don't use the word "city" as one typically does when talking about MMO population centers... it feels like a real city.

I completely agree. Divinity's Reach is an amazing city with absolutely no reason to visit it, other than in being amazing.

Far from being a whatever-gated purely aesthetic prestige item, this is an easily obtainable, time-limited, but statistically unique item. Screw the skin, someone who wants that stat array for their character won't even be able to get it to transmute once the Southsun event is over. Nobody's up in arms about this just cause it's so easy to get right now :(

Well, unique for now, anyway; there's nothing preventing ArenaNet from releasing more items with the exact same stat distribution, although it's probably more realistic to expect items with entirely new stat distributions, at least in the near future. I'm perfectly OK with special stat items being available during different periods of time to spice things up and, well, to have people play the game regularly.

The fact that he's level 30 might have a lot to do with that as well, right? Since lower level content is easier in general.

Katoki

I'd be okay with just being able for players to just pick a city to port free to instead. Because there is choice, there's slightly less of an argument for segregation.

Guardians also seem to do exceptionally well undergeared when leveling from my experience. It's just that you want to keep up to date for dungeons.

Shambles

Thinking more on this you set everyones home according to their race. It maintains the atmosphere of every city but for those looking to base out somewhere else put a "Black Lion Moving Truck" item in the gem store that allows you, for a price, to change your home location. Most people won't so your home city will feel like your home city but you'll still see other races kicking around.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Thinking more on this you set everyones home according to their race. It maintains the atmosphere of every city but for those looking to base out somewhere else put a "Black Lion Moving Truck" item in the gem store that allows you, for a price, to change your home location. Most people won't so your home city will feel like your home city but you'll still see other races kicking around.

Sold!

I'm gonna walk my pup and then I'll see if there's demand for today's makeups.

Man, I was excited to chase after Canach in his lair and then open up a dungeon to join up with others for and what we got instead... I didn't even have to bother with the mines for the former, absolutely wrecked him with three clones using staffs. Both portions were very fleeting and anti-climatic. I think Living Story just isn't for me which is a shame because it's a fantastic concept, they just haven't figured out how to make meaty, rewarding content for it yet. It's still only their second series of it so they very likely can figure it out eventually but I think I'll pass on all of them until one sounds truly worthwhile. Fortunately, you guys typically talk about them thoroughly enough that I'll be able to determine if one is should it come along.

Now it's back to the Ascended accessory grind which I'm right about to complete, and then on to acquiring Bolt. Alas, it seems creating Anomaly will really drain from resources towards Bolt..decisions decisions. Hopefully the first expansion won't be too far off by the time I get Bolt as there won't be anything left to do at that point. Already got 100 percent WC with both characters and done every JP. Not into multi enough though I will grind WvW tokens towards Bolt. I'll probably add getting Dungeon Master to my list for a little more to see and do.

I'd be okay with just being able for players to just pick a city to port free to instead. Because there is choice, there's slightly less of an argument for segregation.
This is a good idea, just create a drop down when you click the symbol. We can already go to any city for free anyway so it's not like it cheapens the journey, it just eliminates the middle man, LA.

On another note, it's awesome fighting Karka with my Mes. Feedback DESTROYS them. This is one of two enemies in the game where feedback is just insanely fun and satisfying to use, the other being the eye poles in Arah. So good.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
How much time does the Canach thing take? Is the explorable mode worth doing?
Your first time will take you between 10-15 minutes. After that... I mean... people might well be able to kill him <2 mins.

The explorable mode Boss is worth doing once a day for the reward.

I like both fights a lot but it's very very brief content.

How much time does the Canach thing take? Is the explorable mode worth doing?

Both portions each take less than 10 minutes. In both cases, you just get past some mines and fight a boss. I personally enjoy fighting bosses and if you do as well, try it out. I was just disappointed at how short and fleeting it all was. I thought it would be a full dungeon like MF. I believe a different team worked on this LS so thought it possible.

Your first time will take you between 10-15 minutes. After that... I mean... people might well be able to kill him <2 mins.

The explorable mode Boss is worth doing once a day for the reward.

I like both fights a lot but it's very very brief content.

I could have sworn the reward for Canach was better? Or can you not do that one daily? Trying to remember what you get from the explore... a rare, 3k karma, 50 silver, xp....missing anything?

Jira

I think in regards to this months story, the open world stuff has been significantly better than the F&F. The events actually pertain to what's going on in the story where as with F&F the MA just showed up and didn't do much. The big upcoming meta event will very likely also set the SSC arc apart from F&F in terms of open world stuff. However, on the other hand you have the instanced stuff which isn't much at all compared to the instanced content of F&F. The Rox/Braham and Molten Facility dungeons were far more significant in terms of content. So I think we're just seeing a swap here from the focus of instanced stuff to open world. It's very likely that one of the teams is better at instanced content design and the other is better at open world.

nataku

Well, Robert on the GW2 forum did say that the fight with Canach was incorrectly labeled/marketed as a dungeon. The encounter was made by just one guy, apparently.

Yeah, I was a bit perplexed on why it was called a dungeon as well. Coming from the dungeon team previously, it really felt more like a boss instance, but I don’t write the patch notes or do the marketing.

I didn’t build the Canach encounters, but I did enjoy them. It’s a neat variation that changes gameplay, and I liked the mechanics. Sure there’s a few things that can be done better (as is with everything), but given the time the designer had to work on the instance, I think he did a great job.

There are multiple living world teams, each with assets from all departments. The initial scope for Canach’s instance was as it is now – we had a shorter time table to build things, so we just wanted to plan for a story boss fight (easier) and a multiplayer boss fight (harder). The designer accomplished what we planned to do with it, but we never really considered it a dungeon – that was just a bit of a marketing mistake that set unrealistic expectations as a result of calling it a dungeon on the heels of MF.

He did it alone (or as alone as we all develop things as a team) because it was only a couple bosses in a small area – he didn’t and shouldn’t have needed any assistance with it, and it was finished within the scope of our initial plan.

I can’t give estimates on how long our team was developing this content, but it was an accelerated dev cycle for our team. Thankfully due to the schedule of our release, our team was staffed with some of the fastest iterative folks from the company to get something good out in a short time.

Our next schedule is much more relaxed than this one is though, so I’m very eager to see what we can do with it.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...-Southsun-Feedback-Opinion/page/6#post2115061

Haven't done the fight yet, personally, so I can't comment on it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At this point I'm 98.6% sure that Canach will become a Guild Bounty at some future date. The more I think about it the more likely it seems; employing some of his moves (if not the whole mine mechanic) will give people who have fought him before a leg up, while providing actual context for why you're hunting him in the gameworld too. If they're smart about it, they'll have him escape Lionguard custody during the chaos of the Crazed Karka Queen attack, only to be spotted later somewhere (his Bounty description).

I will make an Official Hawkian Prediction on this one. I'm the least confident about this of the ones I've made but I'll risk going 2-1.
You won, GAF, I bought GW2. It is installing as we speak. I can't wait to see you guys there!
Stormbluff Isle my friend, and post your account name for a guild invite!

Shanlei91

Hah! It's so funny, after I made that post, I was thinking about how much I really dig all the classes and how diverse they are in everything from ease-of-play to action mechanics to group utility.

Like, sure Altruistic Healing means you may, you know... never die ever, but it won't stealth your entire party through 75% of the Risen in Arah, or strip 5 stacks of Defiant off Sotzz or Colossus in 2 seconds. I don't have any trouble understanding while most people would prefer the tankiness, but I'm all about the "this is a job for...." moments.
The allure of the AH build is that at the very basic level, you are your team's guardian angel.

Hard to take you down, and as result you can be the one who resurrects a fallen teammate, withstand the aggro and live to tell the tale. Pretty much everything you do removes conditions from them so they can fill their skill bar with all their cool abilities, not worrying about staying alive cause you're there to keep them going. There's a boss in Arah 4 who casts an insane stack of confusion on the whole party every few seconds. I time my shouts (which remove conditions) to instantly remove it. After the fight all my teammates are talking about how easy a fight it was. No one noticed the confusion.

It really is the most basic of all the classes along with a DPS Warrior, but the cool thing about it is that a good Guardian makes every PUG run well. I can't say the same about Mesmer, but blinking around and yanking mobs with curtain is a hoot.

Retro

You won, GAF, I bought GW2. It is installing as we speak. I can't wait to see you guys there!

You'll want to roll on Stormbluff Isle to get the most out of GAFGuild, but if you have friends playing on other servers or you want a higher tier of World vs. World play, you can roll anywhere you like (chances are, you'll just want to roll on SBI).

You can "Guest" on any server in your region, up to two servers per day as often as you want (i.e. if you roll on Server A, you can guest on B and C but not D), so if you bump into a friend later who plays, the only aspect of the game you won't be able to play together (without one of you transfering) is World vs. World, for obvious reasons.

And with that, the big list of beginners tips to help ease you into the game;

1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.
- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​
2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.
- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.​
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.
- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​
10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin , Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Professor Retro, Wallach, Melisande Storm or Katoki. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom