• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reknoc

So here's a major noob question, because I've only ever participated in one Guild Bounty before. I only have about 40 percent of the map done so far. Is there any way I can participate in some of these things if I don't have the waypoint that everyone is going to discovered? Like, is there any way for other members to port me over?

For example, yesterday I noticed that some guild event was going on, but I didn't have the waypoint that everyone was going to (hadn't even been to the area). Is there anyway around this?

Naw, just say you need to run there, don't sweat it, pretty much every guild event there always manages to be one I don't have a way point for.

Take the Asure Gate from the Claw Island Portage waypoint in Lion's Arch (near the Fractals entrance) to the Pearl Islet resort on Southsun. Talk to either the Settler or Consortium representative to get a buff to Magic Find or Gold Find. Then head toward Kiel's Outpost, listen in map chap for the next instigator event going up or just wander, and find the zerg. Kill mobs and do events that pop up in between bouncing back and forth as the Instigators respawn.

there's an Asura Gate to it? lol mind blown.

Lunar15

So here's a major noob question, because I've only ever participated in one Guild Bounty before. I only have about 40 percent of the map done so far. Is there any way I can participate in some of these things if I don't have the waypoint that everyone is going to discovered? Like, is there any way for other members to port me over?

For example, yesterday I noticed that some guild event was going on, but I didn't have the waypoint that everyone was going to (hadn't even been to the area). Is there anyway around this?

No, that's a spehor noob question. HAR HAR HAR.

Anyway, no there really is no other way around this than to try and open up as many waypoints as possible. *shrug* If shout that you're trying to make it in chat, we usually wait for people. All you have to do is let us know.

Thanks guys. Just curious. I suppose it's a good way to open up waypoints, eh?

Indeed it is. :D Also, if you're at 40% you're hardly a noob; I'm at like 45% with my level 80, and that's after touring the world to get all (most) ranger pets and months of guild challenges. Some zones I literally hadn't seen the loading screen of before guild stuff.

In any case, the more time-sensitive missions are bounties, and since it takes quite a while to locate them anyway, you shouldn't worry that you're late Worst case scenario, they locate it and kill it before you get there and don't get rewards that one time, but you'll have the WP for the next and you're not affecting negatively anyone else.

it's no more or less valid to twerk in a zerk than anywhere else

though only a jerk would twerk at work

Zerk.jpg

Levyne

Banned
Yeah, one of the things I prioritized with my alts (that I never play) was getting at least one waypoint in each zone, even if just entering and exiting for a freebie wp, so that I never had to run very far to get to any one place.

One change to note from the recent patch this that at todays WvWvW reset, a level of randomness will be introduced into WvWvW matchmaking which will be neat as some of the matchups were really getting stale.

Should also be good for the PvEer's looking to get those WvWvW map waypoints/POIs/Skillpoints - colours will hopefully rotate more frequently.

Also, the API opening up is the best thing ever - look how awesome the live maps are: http://mos.millenium.org/matchups (click on the map button on the right of each matchup).

I can have a tab watching my server live while I'm at work (e.g. this week's matchup: http://mos.millenium.org/eu/matchups/map/703 - I am on Seafarer's Rest). SOO GOOD. Also the timings for the invulnerability buffs on the objective bosses are on there which should save scouting them.

Recent updates have been frankly godly :)

Levyne

Banned
Wow, that is really cool. WvW doesn't do anything for me but I could see how keeping a tab open on a live wvw map could be distracting at work :lol

I had never bothered to try the Southsun Zerg until tonight and HOLY SHIT it is amazing. I got 5-6 rares in a bit over an hour. Made over 3g from 6? instigator kills? Very impressed with the rate you can earn gold from that event train.

Same here! We were probably doing it at the same time but on different servers. It was really fun! First time I ever ran around with a Zerg in PVE. Somehow I didn't think to check my gold profit, was it from money picked up on corpses or did you sell all the rares to get that? If the latter, i won't have much because I extract ecto from them all. I did manage to get the mini reef rider, some t6 mats, and one lower level exotic that I threw on TP. Good stuff.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I believe the WvW Random Matching was slightly delayed and will not occur at today's reset, but hopefully will (from my perspective) prior to the next reset, and then continue through the next week.

Wow, that is really cool. WvW doesn't do anything for me but I could see how keeping a tab open on a live wvw map could be distracting at work :lol

What's entertaining is that the monitoring on that site is better than the monitoring of our systems we look after at work. o_O

I believe the WvW Random Matching was slightly delayed and will not occur at today's reset, but hopefully will (from my perspective) prior to the next reset, and then continue through the next week.

You are right - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Update-on-new-matchups/first#post2124865

Slightly disappointing, but hey, it's still coming.

The API stuff is amazing.

Edit - OH GOD THE WHINING: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Disappointed

(rather more entertained to see a community leader from VS admit that the reason SFR were suddenly terrible several weeks into Tier 1 was the free transfers ArenaNet allowed to our server because we were medium population) *snerk*

What's entertaining is that the monitoring on that site is better than the monitoring of our systems we look after at work. o_O

You are right - https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Update-on-new-matchups/first#post2124865

Slightly disappointing, but hey, it's still coming.

The API stuff is amazing.

Edit - OH GOD THE WHINING: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/Disappointed

(rather more entertained to see a community leader from VS admit that the reason SFR were suddenly terrible several weeks into Tier 1 was the free transfers ArenaNet allowed to our server because we were medium population) *snerk*

Man. I've tried reading those forums and Guru and there is nothing but negativity there. I know it's par for the course for MMOs, but it's still lame. I hope the devs know that plenty of people love their game to death.

Retro

Official Forums, regardless of the quality of the game, are always the absolute worst representation of the community. I don't care if God/Allah/Spaghetti Monster descended from the sky and created the most incredible MMO anyone had ever seen; the official forums for it would still be the worst.

In fact, if Life is an MMO and Heaven is getting to hang out with the devs all day, Hell is the Official Forums. I feel bad for the Devil in this case, he has to moderate that shit forever. I'd be evil too.

Retro

But did ANet ruin his life? We must know!

* if I understand right, he's basically pissed that he worked hard to "go out on top" for the last time of that matchup, and now that there is another week he's pissed? Basically an epeen thing then?

I've been told the top tier servers are nothing but a dramafest.

When SBI was in Tier 1, it just got boring fighting the same people deploying the same tactics every week, but with greater numbers. Even in the face of that we did well, without being ultra-organized or having an alliance or anything. We just had better players.

I think SBI's biggest problem is that there wasn't enough overnight coverage, so we'd cap everything during the day and then things would fall apart. The other servers targeted those guilds specifically (they were harassing/being racist towards the largest overnight guild, War Machine) and they eventually moved out of Tier 1 to avoid that kind of behavior. After that, people started to leave slowly until the free server transfers ended, that's when a lot of people jumped ship and sought greener pastures elsewhere.

Top Tier servers are basically numbers and coverage rather than skill and strategy, with a dash of underhanded tactics for extra misery. If you have enough people willing to stand around and defend everything 24/7, yeah, you'll 'win', but you'll also be bored as hell. I guess some people like that constant back-and-forth, but my opinion of WvW was severely lowered during our days in Tier 1.

What I've played in our current setup has been much better.

nataku

WvW matching mixup will happen today, after all.

After much back and forth we’ve managed to get the matchup changes in starting today 5/31. What we were unable to get ready for today were changes to the leaderboards which would have made it easy to sort by matchup, thus the leaderboards will continue to display your server ranking, but will not have sufficient information for you to be able to determine your matchups on that page. We will get them updated as soon as we can, but in the meantime you will be put into new, more varied matchups starting today and going forward. I will, hopefully, be able to post the new matchups here when they go live so at the least everyone can have some idea of what they are.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/WvW-Matchup-changes-starting-today

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
But did ANet ruin his life? We must know!

* if I understand right, he's basically pissed that he worked hard to "go out on top" for the last time of that matchup, and now that there is another week he's pissed? Basically an epeen thing then?

I've been told the top tier servers are nothing but a dramafest.
You've assessed his comment correctly. He made a big push and came back for the "last week" and now he's annoyed because that commitment doesn't mean they'll necessarily win "the last week." Why that matters to any particular degree is, indeed, a matter of epeen.

I'm sure the top servers do have plenty of drama, but it can't be denied that they're playing at a level we'll never see. I vastly prefer the experience in our lower tier, but I'm not the type to take any kind of in-game competition all that seriously (i.e. if I'm not having fun, nothing else really matters to me win or lose).

On the topic of the official forums... for me it's a good way to keep a finger on the pulse of the "malcontent factor" (the relatively stable fraction of the community prone to complain about any give occurrence), as well as kind of a fascinating study of human behavior.

With appaling regularity, the same few threads (even if by a different author, with a different title, written a different way) are on the front page. One or two each of "the game has gone in a bad direction because of reasons, and this is what will cause it to lose or gain players (because I know)", "i am so disappointed with this game because of reasons (because you care)", "i hate RNG (because posting on the forums is the best way to protest it)" and "arenanet hates farming/doesnt want anyone to make money (because the way that I personally want to be able to make money was nerfed)." Never fails really, no matter what.

edit: Oh cool wonder who we'll be matched up with. I'm supposed to go out tonight, might not get to see

Kard8p3

Got GW2 working! :) So far I've made a charr warrior and a sylvari ranger. I'm thinking about making a charr thief, I'm just trying to find what class I like best, and then I will definitely be joining the GAFGuild!

LkPr

I think I might try out some WvW tonight... haven't tried it since all the changes have been made. What time does GAF usually get in there and what does everyone usually do?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
At reset (8:00PM EDT). You'll want to get on the TS3 channel for the Borderlands we are all going to. If Kvothe or another of our commanders is on and active we'll form a small but coordinated group or minizerg and start following them mostly to take the objectives the other commanders aren't. If no GAF commanders are on then depending on numbers we'll either form a small guild-only havoc squad or join up with one of the existing commander zergs. Typically I think we like to start out on one of the enemy borderlands.

I'm sure the top servers do have plenty of drama, but it can't be denied that they're playing at a level we'll never see. I vastly prefer the experience in our lower tier, but I'm not the type to take any kind of in-game competition all that seriously (i.e. if I'm not having fun, nothing else really matters to me win or lose

Most of the drama is inter-server (just look at the matchup threads for when we where Tier 1). At least for us. I wouldn't say the game-play is better in Tier 1 (eu) - in fact it's worse than Tier 2 because it's totally dominated by one style of play and was terrible pre culling fix. What is better in Tier 1 is coverage - you *have* to have enough people committed to play during the work day + at night.

And yes, only his epeen has been hurt.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Amazon said:
We're sorry - tracking information is not currently available. Please try again later.
Grumble...

edit: waiiit directly through DHL there is legit info
5/31/2013 08:09 AM ET Orlando, FL TENDERED TO USPS
5/30/2013 09:09 PM ET Orlando, FL ARRIVAL DESTINATION DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
5/29/2013 07:10 AM PT Compton, CA DEPARTURE ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
5/28/2013 11:54 PM PT Compton, CA PROCESSED
5/28/2013 08:25 PM PT Compton, CA ARRIVAL ORIGIN DHL GLOBAL MAIL FACILITY
5/28/2013 05:00 PM PT Van Nuys, CA PICKED UP BY SHIPPING PARTNER
kayyy shipment connoisseurs, Orlando at 8AM this morning... does that mean it could still make it here today (i'm about 200 miles/2.5-3 hours from Orlando)? If not I probably have to wait til freaking monday because it's being delivered to a business.

Complistic

Got GW2 working! :) So far I've made a charr warrior and a sylvari ranger. I'm thinking about making a charr thief, I'm just trying to find what class I like best, and then I will definitely be joining the GAFGuild!

Great! The best thing you can do is to try all the classes briefly and just role with whatever one you like the most.

And give Asura a shot. Their animations are hilarious.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Looks like the Postal Service was already here today and no package for me.

What kinda crap is "tendered to USPS" anyway? If I wanted it mailed I wouldn't had it shipped!

Jira

HAAAAAAAAATS INCOMING

3kjtjz7.jpg

r0R9mjU.jpg

Fuzzy Quaggan Hat with Bow - [&AgGjjgAA]

Fuzzy Leopard Hat - [&AgFypwAA]

Fuzzy Hylek Hat - [&AgFzpwAA]

Jira

Man. I've tried reading those forums and Guru and there is nothing but negativity there. I know it's par for the course for MMOs, but it's still lame. I hope the devs know that plenty of people love their game to death.

Funny you say that, it has been confirmed by a dev that the people who bitch on the official forums are roughly the same 100 accounts or so. Those people are in an extreme minority but they're obviously vocal. Official forums no matter the game are the WORST places to look if you want an impression on what people actually think.

Panda's missing, they know that's the one everyone craves.

It's probably in the dat but the people mining missed it or it's simply not in yet.

Levyne

Banned
I would buy more cosmetic outfit stuff (maybe) if there was a wardrobe of sorts separate from the bank to keep it in. Maybe not even have physical items, just be able to swap out town clothes whenever from wherever based on what you have "unlocked".

(Unless they are actually headgear? I am assuming they are like the witch hat/horns)

Complistic

I would buy more cosmetic outfit stuff (maybe) if there was a wardrobe of sorts separate from the bank to keep it in. Maybe not even have physical items, just be able to swap out town clothes whenever from wherever based on what you have "unlocked".

(Unless they are actually headgear? I am assuming they are like the witch hat/horns)

Yup, they really need a wardrobe tab.

I guess they're not really tabs anymore.

Retro

I need the blue quaggan to go with my backpack.

If they're head items, chances are good you can dye them.

I'm not sure I'll buy any... they're cute, but apart from my Asuran Mesmer, none of my characters really are. I'm not bitching, I get that not everything they add will match my tastes. Same goes for the Karka weapons; some people think they're cool, some people don't.

What I love about this game is that I won't have very long to wait for something new to come along. In fact, our next update should be on the 11th (preview page on the 4th).

Kard8p3

So, GAF, I am at a crossroads, I can't choose between my thief and my ranger for my main, any input and advice on these classes would be great!

Ceres

Banned
You last visited: 11-17-2011 at 11:06 PM
Yep, first post since Sep 2011. I'm also on Gafguild but this thread seems more active.

I'm up for WvW tonight. First time I've had a Friday free in a few weeks.
I had fun last night on the CD borderlands with TB and a few randoms lead by Friar. We were distracting their group in Bay and defended NW camp for at least an hour while we had golems heading over to Hills. CD had one of the most disorganized groups I'd seen and we didn't even have TS and barely chatted in map chat. They pushed on us at least 6 times that we easily held off. The only thing keeping them from getting destroyed was the massive amounts of siege they had on defense. Finally their zerg arrived and wiped us out to take the camp. I had to log out after that as it was late so not sure how it ended.
Looking forward to the reset and the random servers we'll likely fight. Although I think we would have dropped to T5 anyway which would have been just as welcome.

Is there no limit to how many of your characters can be in the GAFGuild? Or will I have to pick one?

All your characters are in GAFGuild when you join, actually; you don't even need to add them individually, once you join a guild, you join with all characters. What you do have to do with each is REPRESENT the guild from the guild pane; until you do, you won't get any guild benefits (including guild chat).

The cool thing is that you can join several guilds, and represent the one you need to at each time.

Katoki

Haha yeah. Crystal Desert is really good at fortifying major points. I've seen many groups learn the hard way from chasing them up to their keeps like in the Eternal Battlegrounds.

Something's up with the matchups this week - we're playing the same servers but we're red when we should be green if it was ranking based.

The ratings have been swapped around too if you look at the history...

Kard8p3

All your characters are in GAFGuild when you join, actually; you don't even need to add them individually, once you join a guild, you join with all characters. What you do have to do with each is REPRESENT the guild from the guild pane; until you do, you won't get any guild benefits (including guild chat).

The cool thing is that you can join several guilds, and represent the one you need to at each time.

Oooh, ok! Thank you for the information :)

If they're head items, chances are good you can dye them.

Confirmed. Just preview the items via the itemcodes in the thread, then preview any dye (easiest way is to search "dye" in the TP and right click->preview).

The Quaggan one has four channels, actually:
- Main
- Fur, um, border? lining? don't know how you call that in English
- Motes on the back
- Ribbon

Haven't checked the rest yet.

Oooh, ok! Thank you for the information :)

Anytime! If you see me online and have any question in general, just shoot! :)

Something's up with the matchups this week - we're playing the same servers but we're red when we should be green if it was ranking based.

The ratings have been swappedvaround too if you look at the history...

They did that last week or the week before to help PvE guys get more exploration done. The reset for "this week" won't happen until later tonight.

They did that last week or the week before to help PvE guys get more exploration done. The reset for "this week" won't happen until later tonight.

Pretty mean to take our rating too :(

Oh, and these are post reset cos I'm in EU. There are forum posts suggesting that some people are ending up on the wrong server when they enter which is spectacular if true..

Edit - Ok - it looks like the randomisation *has* happened in EU but scoreboard code is wrong https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/pvp/wuvwuv/New-matchups-ARE-today-see-latest/first#post2128683

Pretty awesome of ArenaNet to get it fixed in time :)

Grumble...

edit: waiiit directly through DHL there is legit info

kayyy shipment connoisseurs, Orlando at 8AM this morning... does that mean it could still make it here today (i'm about 200 miles/2.5-3 hours from Orlando)? If not I probably have to wait til freaking monday because it's being delivered to a business.

If it's being delivered by usps, they might send it out on saturday to the business. Not really sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom