• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Yeah I heard that follow up NULL run also didn't go well :(. Sounds like some of those people hadn't done the Canach fight yet, so too many going in blind.

That. It went much better but the stuff burns near the end man. Not enough regen in the world as a guardian with a guardian helping.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well, everyone who needed Comms got them from the Rush and Bounty, but we just didn't beat the Puzzles with enough time for everyone to finish. We had trouble getting the last battery at the end of the Maze and simply ran out of time. We got through Langmar alright (slight delay in the Gallery, but nothing unusual), but we had some miscommunication on my part and one of the rooms was accidentally flooded with poison with people still in there. Ouch.

We tried to rez everyone as fast as possible while the bottom floor was cleared, but we didn't have enough time for everyone to get the chest or their comms. Door was open and everything, but we didn't have time to get everyone down and out.

Puzzle Makeups are on Monday (9 pm Eastern) and Wednesday (6:30 eastern) in case you still need your commendations for those. Sorry to anyone who can't make those times, I know Elazul has to work nights. Sorry we couldn't make it happen.

Sorry again for the mix-up in that last room.
Thanks a ton for running the stuff this afternoon, man!

Unfortunately I'm very likely not going to be able to host tomorrow's Puzzle/Bounty makeups either :( If no one else is available, we'll have to cancel or reschedule for another time this week. I feel bad, but hopefully tomorrow means finally getting my PC back up and running.

Jira

Unfortunately I'm very likely not going to be able to host tomorrow's Puzzle/Bounty makeups either :( If no one else is available, we'll have to cancel or reschedule for another time this week. I feel bad, but hopefully tomorrow means finally getting my PC back up and running.

I won't be around as it's my birthday tomorrow. Hopefully you do get your PC back up, the turn around time has been ridiculous.

Retro

It was more my wife reminding me and doing most of the organization, were it not for her we probably would have started much later. She also bought a bunch of influence too. So she's really the one who deserves the thanks.

I won't be around as it's my birthday tomorrow. Hopefully you do get your PC back up, the turn around time has been ridiculous.

You dick. I wanted to mention it so you'd know I listen and remembered. I even wrote it down on my desk calendar and everything.. and now you ruined it. Happy fucking birthday, ya bastard.

Seriously though, happy birthday.
JUWnj.gif

EDIT: Just noticed, we're only about 3000 posts from OT3.

Thanks to Hawkian, Seda and Rowland for the TA run tonight. Roxie(my beautiful wife) and myself appreciate all the help the guild has given. We're new to dungeons and guild events, but we're on every day really. We're learning. .. Thanks everyone for your patience.

Well, due to my ecto limatation, I got in 15 tries at stacks of ten and for a sec, I thought I was going to have all my clovers before I even hit 10 tries. I got up to 50 clovers within the first 6 turns I want to say but then never got any more. I got t6 mats which I need tons of so that's good and a bunch of ori ingots which I need a ton of for Bolt so can't complain too much. The one thing I got that's completly worthless are the Crystal Lodestones. Why couldn't they have been Charged? whyyyyy. All in all can't complain too much, luck better than I imagined. Now I have no ecto and it will take forever to build back up probably ha I wish I could blow gold on it but I need 120 gold for things you can only buy with money and I'm not that loaded. Thus begins my quest for Legendary.

There is an item (mystic binding agent) you can get with laurels which does the same thing as elonian wine I think it's 10 laurels for 10 mbgs.

?? What mbgs? So 1 laurel = 1 elonian wine. I don't know. In that sense, I think a laurel is worth more than 25s, but it's a good alternative.

I have 56 laurels, and havent spend any. I dont have anything ascended yet. I'm thinking that my best bet is going after the WvW ones and combining them with Honor Badges. I feel this is the best path for me.

Farm Orr for dust.

Problem with Orr now is (on my server) is that the karma train is dead, and people have shifted to do Dwayna and Lyssa, and sometimes Balthazar.

Melandru and Grenth are abandoned by the majority. Particularly Grenth people have given up on, and I think it shows a collective hive-mind among the dynamic events. People really gave up on it.
But its not hard to figure out. Grenth himself always gave crappy loot, and the shades got nerfed hard a long time ago. Back at launch I got a crazy amount of stuff from drops there.

So I don't really know where to get t6 dust. I think even heavy bags drop significantly less. I run with around 90-110% MF in a precision/damage GS/Bow build with my Warrior focusing on superior sigil of luck.

T6 dust.. everyone needs it to convert everything from t5 to t6. I get that, but GODDAMIT:O

Cels

The party system in this game is horrible and it is frustrating that nothing has been done to improve the party system since release.

I would like anet to fix these three things:
  • If one person leaves a party, the game shouldn't kick the four other players from the dungeon simply because that player happened to open the dungeon.
  • It shouldn't take only 2 votes to kick a person.
  • Right clicking a player's name in the chat window should always give the option to invite them to party.

I know we are getting a LFG system sometime this year which is nice but at least people can get by with gw2lfg.

?? What mbgs? So 1 laurel = 1 elonian wine. I don't know. In that sense, I think a laurel is worth more than 25s, but it's a good alternative.

Mbg = Mystic Binding Agents

The bad thing is you can only by them in a bulk of 10, so 10 laurels for 10 mystic binding agents which are the same as 10 elonian wines

jersoc

The party system in this game is horrible and it is frustrating that nothing has been done to improve the party system since release.

I would like anet to fix these three things:
  • If one person leaves a party, the game shouldn't kick the four other players from the dungeon simply because that player happened to open the dungeon.
  • It shouldn't take only 2 votes to kick a person.
  • Right clicking a player's name in the chat window should always give the option to invite them to party.

I know we are getting a LFG system sometime this year which is nice but at least people can get by with gw2lfg.

they produce a lot of content, but very little quality of life things. it's like opposite of blizzard.

and i agree with you. I think the LFG patch is coming next week, so maybe we'll see more party stuff in that.

they produce a lot of content, but very little quality of life things. it's like opposite of blizzard.

and i agree with you. I think the LFG patch is coming next week, so maybe we'll see more party stuff in that.

Recent post on official forums by Colin Johanson says that LFG will be coming by the end of the year.

The funny (sad?) thing is the fix for kicking players out of a dungeon when the dungeon opener leaves will probably come even later than that, i.e., no earlier than 2014.

Hasn't this been fixed in fractals? I thought when they fixed the disconnect issue for fractals they also fixed this.

Moobabe

Is this something you heard about?

Most classes can farm (at high level areas) when taking on mobs 1on1 just some do it quicker than others.

Yeah - I'm just chilling doing the Southsun event farming thing - and people were talking about AFK farming engineers?

Anyway - I feel a super long post incoming about GW2 - I am trying so hard to like it. I really loved GW but there's something about GW2 that means it just isn't clicking with me.

Yeah - I'm just chilling doing the Southsun event farming thing - and people were talking about AFK farming engineers?

Anyway - I feel a super long post incoming about GW2 - I am trying so hard to like it. I really loved GW but there's something about GW2 that means it just isn't clicking with me.

These two ideas could very well be related. I love both games, but they're almost not even the same series. I think there could be a lot of people who would like one but not the other.

Moobabe

These two ideas could very well be related. I love both games, but they're almost not even the same series. I think there could be a lot of people who would like one but not the other.

I'm sure they are related.

I'm trying my best to articulate it to my friends on Teamspeak, but to take a small example:

I was running my Level 20 Engineer to the Southsun event to get some phat l00t but I had to go through Lion's Arch to get there.

I ran past a little memorial on the beach, a shrine to those who had fallen defending Lion's Arch (I assume.) BING - 25 exp. I'd discovered a point of interest. A pre-determined point of interest. The game was telling me to be interested.

The game is rife with that sort of thing. The world of GW2 exists to be a game. There's 20 events in each area, 30 points of interest, 15 waypoints, 2 jumping puzzles etc etc - there's never any room to breathe.

In Guild Wars I found entrances to Fissure of Woe and Underworld by exploring. They din't have, nor did they need, waypoints or an artificial experience bonus associated with it. They were awesome and I knew they were awesome without being told.

The world of Guild Wars 2 just isn't believable to me; the lore isn't there any more. The story is spoon fed to you through awful, awful cutscenes and there's no tangible reward, from a personal perspective, to going out and seeing the world.

The world is merely a check list of things to complete and, for me, it completely kills any interest I have in the entire game.

Takes courage to communicate that embarrassing news. Anet needs to concentrate on better fundamentals as opposed to new content.
New content can pretty easily be made while anet works on system issues and game mechanics. Somehow, I don't think the art team or level designers are really going to be able to assist much with the later.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
In Guild Wars I found entrances to Fissure of Woe and Underworld by exploring. They din't have, nor did they need, waypoints or an artificial experience bonus associated with it. They were awesome and I knew they were awesome without being told.

There's actually a ton of stuff that doesn't have an achievement, poi, marker or anything acknowledging its existence other than the player naturally discovering it. (or reading reddit)

Example:http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1fg6v1/four_rangers_come_together_to_make/ (When 3 rangers use their warhorn at the same time a ghost wolf is summoned...this was only recently discovered)

The beauty of this is that these secrets, because the game doesn't acknowledge or point them out, make them even more special.

Although yes, with a map full of markers, the game does feel like a factory churning players through the world. But there is still a sense of wonder. One issue players tend to have is running to a dynamic event, completing it, then running off...missing on a potential followup event, interesting dialogue, etc.

Levyne

Banned
I hope personal story-esqe cutscenes have been phased out for good. Yuck. I mean...too late for all them already in the game

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I hope personal story-esqe cutscenes have been phased out for good. Yuck. I mean...too late for all them already in the game

My favorite part about them is when I have this badass helmet on, I trigger a cutscene, and the rest of my party sees my nonsensical face.

I'm trying my best to articulate it to my friends on Teamspeak, but to take a small example:

I was running my Level 20 Engineer to the Southsun event to get some phat l00t but I had to go through Lion's Arch to get there.

I ran past a little memorial on the beach, a shrine to those who had fallen defending Lion's Arch (I assume.) BING - 25 exp. I'd discovered a point of interest. A pre-determined point of interest. The game was telling me to be interested.

The game is rife with that sort of thing. The world of GW2 exists to be a game. There's 20 events in each area, 30 points of interest, 15 waypoints, 2 jumping puzzles etc etc - there's never any room to breathe.

The world of Guild Wars 2 just isn't believable to me; the lore isn't there any more. The story is spoon fed to you through awful, awful cutscenes and there's no tangible reward, from a personal perspective, to going out and seeing the world.

The world is merely a check list of things to complete and, for me, it completely kills any interest I have in the entire game.

Yeah well... YOU'RE DUMB!

Just kidding. :p

While I don't necessarily agree with all of it, I think these are some really interesting points. The personal story is pretty awful, for sure. I think I read on here that it wasn't actually written by their writers, which would explain a lot. Has it improved at all in the living story?

I think your point about the world being "gamey" is really interesting as well. I, personally, feel like the world itself is very, very well realized, though, and feel that the waypoints, vistas, and POIs are ways to experience and understand the world of the game. I admit to thinking heart quests are kind of lame, though. I'd prefer more frequent events, especially in the starting areas..

I can see the gamification of GW2 through the assorted achievements, map completion, etc. Really, it doesn't bother me, though. That stuff is just something to do if you want to do it. When I walk by a point of interest or whatever, I usually don't even notice it because I'm off chasing some event or puttering around looking to see new territory. I wouldn't mind anet not making any more hearts, though.

A lot of stuff in GW1 was fun to find the first time. GW2 made it fun the second time by advancing the world by 200 years. I couldn't care less that I gained some thousand experience by checking out a hole in the ground leading to a destroyer cavern or finding droknar's forge underwater. Finding them was awesome by itself.

And yeah, cutscenes in GW2 suck. The story meat of the game is not in personal story or cutscenes, it's in the NPC interactions and events. eg. I listened to a couple of ascalonian ghosts reliving a scene where a guy is trying to hook up with a young woman. The woman shuts him down and reminds him "You cheated on me. With my sister."

Moobabe

While I don't necessarily agree with all of it, I think these are some really interesting points. The personal story is pretty awful, for sure. I think I read on here that it wasn't actually written by their writers, which would explain a lot. Has it improved at all in the living story?

I think your point about the world being "gamey" is really interesting as well. I, personally, feel like the world itself is very, very well realized, though, and feel that the waypoints, vistas, and POIs are ways to experience and understand the world of the game. I admit to thinking heart quests are kind of lame, though. I'd prefer more frequent events, especially in the starting areas..

The world is well realised, certainly, but my point about it being "gamey" cheapens the overall impact of the world for me. It's beautiful, well designed, great ambience and music - but I feel like the game doesn't want me to experience it. Or, perhaps more accurately, wants me to experience it in a very specific way. The vistas and POI are a perfect indication of that, to me at least, you want to check out this awesome environment? Well stand here, press F, and we'll do it for you with a dynamic camera.

Cels

Hasn't this been fixed in fractals? I thought when they fixed the disconnect issue for fractals they also fixed this.

No, it's not fixed and has never been fixed.

It's real easy to test this. Join a party with someone who has opened a fractal. It could just be you and that other person. Enter that instance. Tell that person to leave. When that person leaves, you will be booted.

I remember reading some person on reddit saying that it was fixed, but I tested it and nope, still get the boot.

Takes courage to communicate that embarrassing news. Anet needs to concentrate on better fundamentals as opposed to new content.

They can do both, as the content designers aren't the people trying to fix existing systems/visual issues in the game. Getting Last Stand at Southsun doesn't mean that the Ranger/Necro trait redesign was pushed back or something.

It is getting a little tiring seeing the minor issues persist though. I'm not talking about gameplay bugs like condition duration not working properly or mesmer greatsword 4 being borked for a couple months - those things should be high priority and fixed ASAP. For these quality of life kinds of of things I tell myself okay it's not a big deal, just be patient and they'll improve it, but the game's first anniversary is fast approaching and they are sure taking their time with this QoL improvements.

Stuff like...
  • Your characters go bald when displaying most headgear. Looks especially bad on female characters.
  • Numerous clipping issues with hair, sheathed weapons, and shoulder armor.
  • Using "Small" interface size ruins the trading post - the TP was clearly designed to be used with Normal interface size only.
  • Can't filter trading post search by armor weight or search for backpieces
  • Trading Post should remember what page you were on when you open it again after closing it.

Each of these things is pretty minor on its own but all together it becomes pretty annoying and tends to show sloppiness and lack of attention to detail.

The interface is something every single player uses every single time they play so to offer alternate interface sizes from "small" to "larger" when the TP text only plays nice with "Normal" is a bit of a farce. Buying armor is also harder than it should be as you will have to ignore 2/3 of the armor that the TP shows you.

Normal - no problem said:

Larger - bad said:

Small - awful said:

Clipping and art issues don't have gameplay consequences but are still important. The endgame of GW2 is about visually appealing equipment, not more powerful equipment, so I would argue that art issues in GW2 are even more of a problem than in other games.

Ow said:
My braid can cut through anything said:
And I mean anything said:

Unfortunately, this kind of thing is very common.

I'm sort of glad I haven't leveled an an engineer yet because they seem to be the most screwed class when it comes to the visuals of their backs.

I had no idea Null could be a difficult fight.

Me neither. We couldn't even kill him when I tried. Dat last 20%, mon.

There is definitely some luck involved. He seems to put up the shield at a regular 1 or 2 minute interval, so the longer you take to remove it, the quicker he will reapply so it's like being penalized twice. (Or maybe the shield application is random).

And the more ranger pets you have to deal with the worse it is :x. Would be nice if they didn't activate mines, or at least not while on passive, or could be stowed in combat.

We had two (three?) rangers including myself, and I learned that day that indeed pets are auto-un-stowed when you enter combat (what's the point of stowing them then!?). The thing to do is to let them die, which they do fairly quick, and not swap in a new one, but still, that obviously takes a bite off your DPS and utility.

Puzzle Makeups are on Monday (9 pm Eastern) and Wednesday (6:30 eastern) in case you still need your commendations for those. Sorry to anyone who can't make those times, I know Elazul has to work nights. Sorry we couldn't make it happen.

Sorry again for the mix-up in that last room.

Enough with the sorrys already. :D
The delay in the painting room was caused in part because for some of us, pulling the cord once did nothing, we had to pull twice (as in, the animation would play but not count, for some reason). I don't think that has happened in th past, so I'm just putting it here for the benefit of other officers, so that when they take us school kids on a field trip again, they can warn us. :D

The labyrinth is murderous; it's by far my weakest point, I feel so useless. I have to go read a guide about it. Stuff like walls being breakable and such is not exactly obvious.

Happy birthday! :)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
The world is well realised, certainly, but my point about it being "gamey" cheapens the overall impact of the world for me. It's beautiful, well designed, great ambience and music - but I feel like the game doesn't want me to experience it. Or, perhaps more accurately, wants me to experience it in a very specific way. The vistas and POI are a perfect indication of that, to me at least, you want to check out this awesome environment? Well stand here, press F, and we'll do it for you with a dynamic camera.
You can turn off the map markers entirely; maybe that would help with the perceptual shift you're attempting.

I disagree with your overarching point mostly because you appear to be interpreting the "checklist" of stuff in each zone as "the stuff there is in that zone," when in actuality the coolest stuff in each zone for me is not part of the map completion, not marked, and often not at all obvious to get to. Indeed, you can get 100% map completion without seeing several of my favorite things in the game.

The Hearts/POIs/Vista/Skill Challenges are there to point you toward something but they will not show you everything or even anything close. It's a little analogous to claiming there's nothing cool to see at the grand canyon because you don't like the tour guide, when there's plenty of stuff you could go off and see on your own.

But truly from my perspective the world just jumped out at me as dying to be explored, in basically the opposite of the way you're saying it constrains exploration (as if the documented points of interest are literally the only "interesting points" in an area). I saw the stuff on the map as things to aim at while getting constantly distracted on the way. The world's design just might not work for you and there's nothing wrong with it.

hythloday

Well thanks very much indeed to hythloday! :D

Psh, the only reason I bought influence was because after rebuilding our mission buffer (we have enough for all makeups this week as long as we win challenges and puzzles) we only had like 4000 left and I didn't want anyone logging in and thinking OMG WHAT HAPPENED TO THE INFLUENCE.

Also happy birthday Jira. <3

Moobabe

You can turn off the map markers entirely; maybe that would help with the perceptual shift you're attempting.

I disagree with your overarching point mostly because you appear to be interpreting the "checklist" of stuff in each zone as "the stuff there is in that zone," when in actuality the coolest stuff in each zone for me is not part of the map completion, not marked, and often not at all obvious to get to. Indeed, you can get 100% map completion without seeing several of my favorite things in the game.

The Hearts/POIs/Vista/Skill Challenges are there to point you toward something but they will not show you everything or even anything close. It's a little analogous to claiming there's nothing cool to see at the grand canyon because you don't like the tour guide, when there's plenty of stuff you could go off and see on your own.

But truly from my perspective the world just jumped out at me as dying to be explored, in basically the opposite of the way you're saying it constrains exploration (as if the documented points of interest are literally the only "interesting points" in an area). I saw the stuff on the map as things to aim at while getting constantly distracted on the way. The world's design just might not work for you and there's nothing wrong with it.

Well that's just it - why include these markers if that's not what's in the zone? Why tell me I have "100% completed" the zone and give me a reward for doing so if that isn't all there is to it? I'm not disputing your claim - I'm saying it's a bonkers design decision. The game is actively TELLING me there's nothing more in that zone. It's going out of it's way to tell me the map is 100% complete - it's a completely mixed message.

Well that's just it - why include these markers if that's not what's in the zone? Why tell me I have "100% completed" the zone and give me a reward for doing so if that isn't all there is to it? I'm not disputing your claim - I'm saying it's a bonkers design decision. The game is actively TELLING me there's nothing more in that zone. It's going out of it's way to tell me the map is 100% complete - it's a completely mixed message.

You're focusing entirely too much on terminology and features that are for completionists instead of ignoring them and just playing. The 100% complete is ONLY there so people can track progress on World Completion that they need for Legendaries. It's a progress bar for that and that alone.

You describe your playstyle as being more organic.. then play organically and simply ignore map markers or turn them off. Ignore map completion. It doesn't serve your purpose so why should you concern yourself with it? Just play the way you want to play and stay in zones as long as you deem them interesting, if that's the way you desire to play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Meh, it's just a totally different perspective of interpretation. I would not at all like it if literally everything in the zone was marked, had attention called to it, contributed to map completion- aside from just making completion a world more difficult, it would actually discourage me from exploring if I knew that everything was on the map. On the other hand I personally wouldn't like it if literally everything was hidden, either- but you can achieve that effect right now by merely disabling your map markers.

While Map Completion is an important component of the game for some and a step toward a variety of goals for others, the game also does plenty to encourage exploration off the beaten path, primarily by putting cool stuff in those places if you do look for it.

edit: ^Weird that Rurik is considered some kind of sex symbol 250+ years after his death.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom