• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

SteveWD40

So, I was /w in game by a kindly guild member who told me to post here regarding realm transfer, some kind of fund for us lonely idiots who didn't check that the EU server was active before rolling on it...

Not sure what the protocol is, but thought I should ask.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So, I was /w in game by a kindly guild member who told me to post here regarding realm transfer, some kind of fund for us lonely idiots who didn't check that the EU server was active before rolling on it...

Protocol is post here, and you'll be on the list! http://gafguild.com/index.php?threads/stormbluff-isle-immigration-fund.312/#post-6493

I think you'll actually be next up in line, and we've got enough raised for a transfer, so you shouldn't need to wait long!

That was a GHOST PUA?
Damn skippy. You'll find him out in the southwest end of blazeridge steppes (blightwater basin). There are some old ruins in the dragonbrand where the ghosts tangle with corrupted stuff.

Take your thief and eavesdrop some time, it's pretty great. There also are ghosts planning a wedding, ghosts lamenting about losing a game, etc.

swnny

Recent post on official forums by Colin Johanson says that LFG will be coming by the end of the year.

Acutally, few pages back (336), Hawkian posted some datamined info from gw2.dat referring to the LFG tool, so I'm hoping for a release in the next few updates.
In the last SotG, Chap confirmed that the PvP map Sky Hammer, which was datamined around the same time with the new skins and lfg references, will be coming "soon".

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Damn skippy. You'll find him out in the southwest end of blazeridge steppes (blightwater basin). There are some old ruins in the dragonbrand where the ghosts tangle with corrupted stuff.

Take your thief and eavesdrop some time, it's pretty great. There also are ghosts planning a wedding, ghosts lamenting about losing a game, etc.
Putting this on the list, gotta see. Thanks!
Acutally, few pages back (336), Hawkian posted some datamined info from gw2.dat referring to the LFG tool, so I'm hoping for a release in the next few updates.
In the last SotG, Chap confirmed that the PvP map Sky Hammer, which was datamined around the same time with the new skins and lfg references, will be coming "soon".
"By the end of the year" is Colin's codephrase for "in active development for the 2013 roadmap but with no slated release date." Stuff coming "by the end of the year" could honestly mean either in the second June patch or on December 31st. :p

I am taking it as a positive that it is far enough along in the dev cycle to include hooks in-game for the related text already.

Reknoc

Of course he would be, ascalonian ghosts think it's still 1090 AE.

Surely they were still alive after Rurik took a nap under some snow. Though at least he's probably well preserved.

Should have joined us on Stormbluff from the start!

Levyne

Banned
I've never had to do this, but if you aren't very far, supposedly if you delete all of your characters you can choose another server. I have not done this myself, nor do I know if it would allow you to change regions entirely...I'll see if I can dig up an answer.

Edit: Wiki and a GG forum post seem to support that, yes, you could do that. I only suggest it if you are still very low level or something.

HappyHunting

Neo Member
I've never had to do this, but if you aren't very far, supposedly if you delete all of your characters you can choose another server. I have not done this myself, nor do I know if it would allow you to change regions entirely...I'll see if I can dig up an answer.

I can confirm that deleting characters will allow you to free transfer servers in the same region. I had 3 chars on my previous server, saw that Gaf was active, deleted them all and hopped servers free.

Jira

In regards to the whole thing Colin said, he said that to cover his own ass because he knows they can't give a specific date. He's said in the past that giving ANY kind of specifics without being certain leads to pitch forks being raised and people calling for their head if there's a delay. So he says essentially in 2013 which could obviously mean June-Dec. However, I don't think they would put any kind of LFG files into the dat in May if it was coming out in Oct/Nov/Dec. I'm betting on July for the LFG release.

swnny

"By the end of the year" is Colin's codephrase for "in active development for the 2013 roadmap but with no slated release date." Stuff coming "by the end of the year" could honestly mean either in the second June patch or on December 31st. :p

I am taking it as a positive that it is far enough along in the dev cycle to include hooks in-game for the related text already.

Hehe, true enough.
Having parts of the tool already in the game files/codes is my reason to think it will be released in the next 3-4 updates, and not for the 2013's Wintersday. :D

Am I the only one who wishes you could see all (or at least more) of the events that are occurring in the zone you're in on the map? I think it'd make leveling a new character from scratch easier, and would help people who are looking for more direction out.

da fuck? when did that change. didnt' say a few weeks back it was fairly close? it's just a shitty broswing system. christ

There is a chance that I might have read an old Colin Johanson post and mistook it for new. I can't do an investigation on the his posts right now because official site is blocked for me at work but I'll check when i get home.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Am I the only one who wishes you could see all (or at least more) of the events that are occurring in the zone you're in on the map? I think it'd make leveling a new character from scratch easier, and would help people who are looking for more direction out.
http://gw2-events.com/stormbluff-isle/blazeridge-steppes This should do the trick I think? I'm personally glad such a thing is not available by default in-game, it would kinda break my immersion to have the map dotted with them like my character was omniscient.
Ah, well if it's the same region I would be screwed either way.
He wasn't saying that it was only in the same region, he was just saying that's all he can confirm... I think it would work even if you wanted to jump regions (which is to say, if you delete all your characters how could you be tied to any server anymore?)
da fuck? when did that change.
It didn't...
didnt' say a few weeks back it was fairly close?
nope, no clue what you're referring to.
it's just a shitty broswing system.christ
I hope it's a decent browsing system instead!

SteveWD40

He wasn't saying that it was only in the same region, he was just saying that's all he can confirm... I think it would work even if you wanted to jump regions (which is to say, if you delete all your characters how could you be tied to any server anymore?)

Ok, withdrawn my request on the guild forum, will try that.

swnny

It was like that in the very first open beta weekend. You could see almost every event on the map, which resulted in redundant (I'm not sure if that's the right word) minimap. After that they overnerfed it and now you see events only in ~3500 units around you.

On another note, Evan posted 30mins ago something about the right click targeting option on the official forums:
On top of all this is still player preference. Not everyone wants a single right-click to perform default actions. This is why we’re adding a toggle for it in the next patch.
Full post here
All I can say is "about time... took them long enough". If there is something I *hate*, it is this "feature" to target with the very same mouse button I'm constantly using to control the camera... It's sooo annoying, that I will cry out of joy it will be gone a week.

Edit: Just saw that they updated the forums - splitted the PvP and WvW categories and added 4 more sub-forums. Another step in the right direction. ^^

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I have the weirdest sort of "outside looking in" sympathy for the people who have struggled with that right-click issue since launch. Having used a controller since before then I literally have never experienced it!

I have the weirdest sort of "outside looking in" sympathy for the people who have struggled with that right-click issue since launch. Having used a controller since before then I literally have never experienced it!

It really is cool how natural GW2 feels with a controller. I was surprised. Don't play it any other way now. Would you recommend it for ranged/AOE characters? I have friends would probably be interested, but my experience is pretty much exclusively melee, so I can't speak for the ranged side of things.

Proven

I'm sure they are related.

I'm trying my best to articulate it to my friends on Teamspeak, but to take a small example:

I was running my Level 20 Engineer to the Southsun event to get some phat l00t but I had to go through Lion's Arch to get there.

I ran past a little memorial on the beach, a shrine to those who had fallen defending Lion's Arch (I assume.) BING - 25 exp. I'd discovered a point of interest. A pre-determined point of interest. The game was telling me to be interested.

The game is rife with that sort of thing. The world of GW2 exists to be a game. There's 20 events in each area, 30 points of interest, 15 waypoints, 2 jumping puzzles etc etc - there's never any room to breathe.

In Guild Wars I found entrances to Fissure of Woe and Underworld by exploring. They din't have, nor did they need, waypoints or an artificial experience bonus associated with it. They were awesome and I knew they were awesome without being told.

The world of Guild Wars 2 just isn't believable to me; the lore isn't there any more. The story is spoon fed to you through awful, awful cutscenes and there's no tangible reward, from a personal perspective, to going out and seeing the world.

The world is merely a check list of things to complete and, for me, it completely kills any interest I have in the entire game.

You can turn off the map markers entirely; maybe that would help with the perceptual shift you're attempting.

I disagree with your overarching point mostly because you appear to be interpreting the "checklist" of stuff in each zone as "the stuff there is in that zone," when in actuality the coolest stuff in each zone for me is not part of the map completion, not marked, and often not at all obvious to get to. Indeed, you can get 100% map completion without seeing several of my favorite things in the game.

The Hearts/POIs/Vista/Skill Challenges are there to point you toward something but they will not show you everything or even anything close. It's a little analogous to claiming there's nothing cool to see at the grand canyon because you don't like the tour guide, when there's plenty of stuff you could go off and see on your own.

But truly from my perspective the world just jumped out at me as dying to be explored, in basically the opposite of the way you're saying it constrains exploration (as if the documented points of interest are literally the only "interesting points" in an area). I saw the stuff on the map as things to aim at while getting constantly distracted on the way. The world's design just might not work for you and there's nothing wrong with it.
I have to agree with Moobabe. Yes, there's still a world to explore, but I have to ACTIVELY ignore many of these gamification things. I'd be fine if every zone just had a handful of hearts with the primary purpose of letting you know where to zone in for a dynamic quest hub or something. But the sheer amount of hearts, PoI, vistas, and skill points is what turns it into a checklist.

For me, it was analogous to Fractals and Ascended gear. It was something made for a type of player I don't think they should have catered to that strongly. It's the type of player that's just going to run straight through their checklist, figure they're done, and then leave until some update comes anyway. It's the type of player where if you try to put in a system to get them to play longer, like say block access to skill points with certain dynamic events or put points of interest behind towers in WvW, are just going to complain that you're forcing them to do something outside of their narrower playstyle of the game.

And for everyone else, you give them something they have to constantly ignore even when updates or UI constantly throw it at you. Hell, the fact that so much of the game seems to encourage people to stick to several specific play styles and not learn to branch out without feeling like they're spreading themselves too thin or are going to suck or will probably find it boring is something that's been bugging me constantly. They put out Legendaries as something you work across all of the game for, but most people will actively avoid working across all of the skillsets for (WvW). You completely shut out a third of the game from it, both in the process and the reward (why the hell isn't any armor or weapon skin I get in PvE, especially Legendaries, automatically available in PvP? From there you can put in unique stuff only earned in PvP that you can bring out into PvE). One of the best five updates to sPvP was adding laurels to achievements there. Too much of this game is "either, or" instead of "this and that". But this line of thinking is going to turn to my personal vendetta so back to what Moobabe was saying.

All World Completion had to be was uncover every part of the map so that you got the explorer achievements for each zone much like you have the Maguuma or Krytan Explorer achievements. Not even waypoints, as people will already gravitate to them since they work as checkpoints. Most of the really interesting stuff in the open world is off the beaten path anyway so why funnel people onto the path so much?

I gave them a pass for much of the PvP and WvW updates because the amount of server code rewriting needed for their goal of removing culling legitimately meant that they couldn't work on code related to custom servers. You don't work in new features if your base needs to be fixed as it causes problems later. Now they're looking back on WvW too and trying to shake things up to be more exciting. But if they're going to keep up this line of thinking for separate systems in the game then they better polish up PvP and WvW a ton so it's a legitimate separate entity from the PvE game. And make sure that I can buy stomp animations with laurels.

But my big issue is still that they've scrambled to fix perceived problems in PvE while letting all of these design decisions mix the message. The mission of it seemed to be "find cool stuff, group dynamically to save Tyria", but then only Orr and Southsun are blessed with a lack of hearts, and there are enough instances in the game that they need to put out an LFG tool. Oh, and remember when we used to have lore books for skill points?

Bah, I'm still playing because the game is still good despite all of this stuff I'm mad at. But the design isn't concentrated like it was in GW1. I guess I can't go a month without a GW2 rant after all.

Lunar15

Design wise, there's a pretty good reason why they "gameified" exploration. If you're a designer, and you're creating this huge, detailed world -with waypoints-, there's this massive fear that you're creating a lot of details that no one is ever going to see. While there are plenty of people who do like just aimlessly exploring and finding secrets on their own, there's a strong chance that these people are a minority. Vistas in particular exist to show off highly detailed areas from the exact angle anet wants you to view it from. They're artists. They want as many players as possible to see their art. Many players do actually need the guidance and incentive of a checklist system to force them to explore.

By pointing out locations of interest and rewarding players who find them, you're getting people to see all of your content. Keep in mind, the game won't point out every POI, Vista, and Quest on the map. Players going the "checklist" route still have to look up where these places are on a separate map if they want to find them. For players who aren't doing that, it's just as explorable as any game.

Personally, I turned off a lot of those markers and just spent my time exploring maps on my own terms, because I'm that kind of player. I don't really care about map completion rewards, I'm a lore junkie who wanted to run around and see the sights. I had no problems doing this.

I'm not trying to dismiss these gamification worries entirely, I was actually just thinking about this the other day. It's definitely a far cry from GW1 where you were locked into instances, whereas GW2 is focused on events, and getting a large amount of people to them. It's a trade off, and one that might not be favorable to everyone. But I think there is valid reasoning to what they did. I also entirely agree that Anet's solutions actually confuse the message more than they solve problems. To get players to actually go to their events, they added guaranteed rares. But this heavily disincentivized other activities, such as dungeons and exploration. It's tough to keep up with gamification, as a developer. Every action has an equal but opposite re-action. It's not an issue they've entirely solved, but I feel like everything's been pretty experimental so far.

However, there's one thing they can totally do to give exploration based players what they want, and that's by tying in the fabled "legendary scavenger hunt". Make it something that you can't find on a map. Make people search for stuff. Give them hints that make them use their knowledge of lore and map layout. Yeah, it's gamification once again, but if you make it less transparent I think you can hammer home that illusion of a wide open world.

Proven

Anything they do with the scavenger hunt will be immediately wiki'd.

And as it stands, their solution of gamification in the world is just a method I absolutely hate. "I spent all this time on this, so I'm going to force you to look at it!" "Nah, I'll just skip through the vista cutscene." And they still went and put soooo much of it in, that people start seeing it more as a checklist. After spending so much time in a zone going from point to point to point, they're not going to want to stick around. The number one reason people fall in love with zones is because of their dynamic events and the NPCs surrounding them.

I can understand their reasoning, but you'd think that they'd have the smarts and humility to not go down that route.

Lunar15

Anything they do with the scavenger hunt will be immediately wiki'd.

And as it stands, their solution of gamification in the world is just a method I absolutely hate. "I spent all this time on this, so I'm going to force you to look at it!" "Nah, I'll just skip through the vista cutscene." And they still went and put soooo much of it in, that people start seeing it more as a checklist. After spending so much time in a zone going from point to point to point, they're not going to want to stick around. The number one reason people fall in love with zones is because of their dynamic events and the NPCs surrounding them.

I can understand their reasoning, but you'd think that they'd have the smarts and humility to not go down that route.

I'm a little confused about how this keeps you from doing something the way you want. You're upset that other players are treating the game like a checklist? So what, that's how they want to do it? What's the alternative? Have none of that stuff and give players no incentive to see the world? I don't mean this condescendingly: I'm genuinely curious.

And as for the scavenger hunts, I personally have no idea how they would do it where it couldn't be wiki'd, unless there was some degree of obscurity or randomness to it. But that's the nature of any game. There's cheats and walkthroughs and maps out there for every game, including the skyrims, fallouts, and GTA's of the world. I think the key is making it something extensive: something that takes a long time. Therefore, it's not knowing it that matters, it's taking the time to do it.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
For the first 5 years or so the original Guild Wars was out, I never touched any of the end game or even beat Prophecies. Wasn't until the Hall of Heroes was announced that I started exploring that content.

That's probably why GW2 is so gamey.

All the marked interests in zones are for completionists like me. I loved having something to work towards and it feels good whenever I finish clearing a zone. In no way should this detract from exploring zones, there is so much more to see than just poi's and such, some really rewarding stuff visually and in some cases, more. When the game first came out I remember the elation I had whenever I discovered a more hidden JP on my own. When I found the Only Zuhl JP in Timberline Falls, not only could I not believe my findings, but everyone in map chat didn't either. I remember trying to ask for help for the group event boss at the end of the puzzle but no one believed me when I said I had to cross over lava and dodge lava balls and battle destroyers underground. There was nothing online about it yet so they refused to come help haha It was late at night so I logged out hoping I'd have better luck the next day and sure enough, got a few curious people to join me :D It was a blast.

Proven

I'm a little confused about how this keeps you from doing something the way you want. You're upset that other players are treating the game like a checklist? So what, that's how they want to do it? What's the alternative? Have none of that stuff and give players no incentive to see the world? I don't mean this condescendingly: I'm genuinely curious.

And as for the scavenger hunts, I personally have no idea how they would do it where it couldn't be wiki'd, unless there was some degree of obscurity or randomness to it. But that's the nature of any game. There's cheats and walkthroughs and maps out there for every game, including the skyrims, fallouts, and GTA's of the world.

I'm just commenting on the fact that a lot of their design decisions just feel wrong and don't seem to work or accomplish their purpose outside of a superficial level.

As for the scavenger hunt, I cut out a line from the post where I was thinking that there was one of two reasons it was taking so long to come out. They were either still deciding on and implementing the scope of it, or they were worried about it just being another checklist and possibly being unsatisfying because of it.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Hmm.. yeah. Interesting. I found attempting any structured world exploration in GW1 to be sort of insufferable (especially once I learned that "scrubbing" was basically the official practice to complete it) whereas I find both the "stuff do do" and general unguided exploration in GW2 to be very enjoyable.

Proven, are you taking into account the fact that you can turn off map markers at all? Seems like it would have improved the way the game world was presented to you, no?
All the marked interests in zones are for completionists like me. I loved having something to work towards and it feels good whenever I finish clearing a zone. In no way should this detract from exploring zones, there is so much more to see than just poi's and such, some really rewarding stuff visually and in some cases, more. When the game first came out I remember the elation I had whenever I discovered a more hidden JP on my own. When I found the Only Zuhl JP in Timberline Falls, not only could I not believe my findings, but everyone in map chat didn't either. I remember trying to ask for help for the group event boss at the end of the puzzle but no one believed me when I said I had to cross over lava and dodge lava balls and battle destroyers underground. There was nothing online about it yet so they refused to come help haha It was late at night so I logged out hoping I'd have better luck the next day and sure enough, got a few curious people to join me :D It was a blast.
First time I stumbled into the Hidden Garden/Diedre's Steppes... :O

And of course I fell to my death and with no one around to res that's a game over on that one. When I got out the entrance was gone. Felt so satisfying to go back with the guild weeks later with a mission at hand and finally beat it.

PatzCU

I stumbled on this JP two nights ago and went through the exact same sense of awe you did. Unfortunately, there was no one around to help me with the group event at the end so I couldn't complete it :(

Lunar15

I'm just commenting on the fact that a lot of their design decisions just feel wrong and don't seem to work or accomplish their purpose outside of a superficial level.

As for the scavenger hunt, I cut out a line from the post where I was thinking that there was one of two reasons it was taking so long to come out. They were either still deciding on and implementing the scope of it, or they were worried about it just being another checklist and possibly being unsatisfying because of it.

Honestly, I'm just being devil's advocate because I don't fully disagree and I've had many of the same thoughts. There are weird design decisions that do seem counter-intuitive, or at least conflicting with what other parts of the team wanted. But ultimately, it comes down to whatever we "assume" anet's purposes were behind these decisions. I personally think that tying rewards to things are a great way to showcase the world they've built, even if that means there's some redundant "pings" and "whistles" whenever it happens. Their goal is to ultimately retain users, so that people spend money in the gem store. This is why there are so many checklists, map completions, etc. This comes with its fair share of headaches to people who just want to feel immersed in a world, not play a game. I totally get you from that standpoint. However, I think I lean closer to the side of actually thinking they pulled off such a weird balance pretty well, whereas other games I've played have been pretty miserable at it. One option of adressing this could take notes from several skyrim mods that remove notifications entirely. Make it an "explorer's option".

I mean, it definitely feels like Anet is new to a lot of this stuff, and also that a lot of the stuff Anet is trying is new to MMO's in general. It's unexplored space and there's times where it's definitely rough around the edges. It will be interesting to see if they do roll out a proper expansion that will include a wealth of substantial changes, rather than just minor tweaks.

Proven

Hmm.. yeah. Interesting. I found attempting any structured world exploration in GW1 to be sort of insufferable (especially once I learned that "scrubbing" was basically the official practice to complete it) whereas I find both the "stuff do do" and general unguided exploration in GW2 to be very enjoyable.

Proven, are you taking into account the fact that you can turn off map markers at all? Seems like it would have improved the way the game world was presented to you, no?

GW1 for me felt like man against the world. I'd take a quest out somewhere, but then quickly end up looking around everywhere. Valleys, deserts, beaches, jungles, you needed to dive in and conquer the zones to get anywhere. I didn't go for world completion or anything.

In GW2, no I didn't turn off the icons. It just felt like that's not what you're supposed to do; the game was designed to have them on at all times. Everyone else is also playing that way so I have to go against the grain to a large degree to go down that route. In the end, my protest ended up showing in the fact that it's 9 months since release and one of my characters only now reached 90% map completion in the last month.

Part of my frustration may be from the fact that all this world completion stuff is about all these static values that then have zero use after the fact when I came to GW2 for the dynamic world. Only Orr and the monthly updates have really done much to capitalize on that promise. There's also the fact that so much of PvE seems to just come down to farming nowadays. The majority of fun I get from it are from dynamic events with other players, and solo exploration. But people worrying more about loot than anything else make me wonder if I'm playing the right game or with the right people. And the type of people that play the game are molded by the incentives and design decisions implemented into the game.

Lunar15

Part of my frustration may be from the fact that all this world completion stuff is about all these static values that then have zero use after the fact when I came to GW2 for the dynamic world. Only Orr and the monthly updates have really done much to capitalize on that promise. There's also the fact that so much of PvE seems to just come down to farming nowadays. The majority of fun I get from it are from dynamic events with other players, and solo exploration. But people worrying more about loot than anything else make me wonder if I'm playing the right game or with the right people. And the type of people that play the game are molded by the incentives and design decisions implemented into the game.

Now this is a lot closer to my own current feelings. There's definitely a lot of grinding lately, and it's not as expansive as was once promised. There is currently little incentive to complete dynamic event chains, unless they end in a large reward. Otherwise, people just go for the quickest bosses possible. Heck, there's little incentive to do Jormag anymore, simply because takes so long, and there's not a huge difference between his rewards and other bosses. I'm not sure how one would go about solving this issue, though. Anet's current solution is to target events to a specific area through the living story. But these have been largely hit or miss.

One of my favorite areas to explore early on was the Harathi Hinterlands. The area had a lot of big event chains, and the war seemed to tie everything together fairly well. But ultimately, there's just no incentive for people to do this kind of content anymore due to the fact that people just run to Ulgoth, get their chest, and leave. Keep in mind, I'm not a huge MMO gamer, and I barely played any GW1. I'm not sure how this issue is addressed in other games. I also don't entirely know what I want. Most of my enjoyment with this game hasn't come from the game's content itself, it's come from my friends and GAF.

I definitely feel for your complaints here, because I'm not a huge loot guy. I love lore, events, and exploration. I like feeling immersed. I'm not interested in legendaries and I already put down the cash for my T3 armor. heck, I don't even craft, nor do I have alts. I think this is why the living story is so exciting to me, but ultimately it's fallen short a lot of the time. Don't get me wrong, I still enjoy it and I love the idea around it, but it's not quite there in terms of having this dynamic, story driven world.

Y'know a lot of this comes down to my utter disappointment for the personal story. If they do ever do a solid expansion, I think they should integrate the idea of a grand "personal" story into the current concepts coming out of the living story. Shift storytelling emphasis from the personal story to the living story, while making the living story more personal. Then I think you have something a lot closer to what they originally promised, although i'm not sure about how it would all work myself.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Yeah I dunno. I guess I just always argued that what you're "supposed to do" is whatever you want to do to have fun; if that included turning off map icons for immersion (or even playing primarily without a UI at all!) then so be it. Personally I found the exploration design enjoyable and addictive. They reward you with XP for every little thing so that you get a constant stream no matter what you're doing, without making any of it seem mandatory.

I guess I feel like they balanced it all very well, or at least quite a bit better than any game I had seen before in the genre. I like the stuff that's on the "checklist" as it gives me something to aim at, I like the other/hidden stuff even more because it rewards going "outside the lines," and I wouldn't ever have wanted that stuff on the map. And I certainly like that they allow you the opportunity to turn off all the visual indicators of where things are if you want that level of immersion as well.

As an aside I'm puzzled about the result of your in-game protest... Despite enjoying it thoroughly I'm at just over 75% world completion on my most well-traveled character. Whenever I decide to get serious about finishing it, I'm certainly looking forward to seeing what there is out there that I've managed to miss over these 9 months.

Proven

I can agree that there is enough of a balance too from the fact that I'm still playing. But my balance comes from jumping into WvW and sPvP, heh. Most everyone else who played from launch already got their 100%. I'm getting serious about world completion now as I feel like it's an achievement I should get for the 1 year anniversary. But I was probably always ahead of you in completion in that case...

leng jai

New content can pretty easily be made while anet works on system issues and game mechanics. Somehow, I don't think the art team or level designers are really going to be able to assist much with the later.

I don't think this excuse flies when you have core aspects of the genre and outrageous class bugs attended to for months on end. It's clearly an issue with resource allocation and priority no matter how you spin it.

swnny

As I'm seeing it, Anet are trying to spread the players across all zones. For good or bad, they are doing so with world bosses' chests, because the majority of players want to open chests and being rewarded. Same thing for other kinds of PvE content. If there was a daily rare item for the mini-dungeons, people will be doing them too.
Now you have to spam map chat for half an hour to get few players interested in joining you for these small, open world adventures. I love the ones in Maguuma Jungle, because there are full of GW1 references, but most of the time I'm doing them on my own or with a guidie or two.
At least it's much better then your every "generic WoW" cloned MMO out there, where the players enjoy the journey to the level cap and from there all they have left are handful of instances (as there are mostly called and I like to keep the different terminology separated... it's driving me crazy when people refer to 'professions' as 'classes' ^^) and few raids.

Ashodin

I do think adding more content to cities with achievements tied to them, unique rewards you can earn over time, etc, will do well to spread out the populace. I want my target shoot!

Eh? I'm sure there are plenty of people that enjoyed the content for what it is/was when they first discovered it. The people you see only doing specific events for quick rewards are those that have seen it all and are now working towards something that requires some grinding. I might quickly bounce around between world events at times to get rares for farming ecto, but that doesn't mean I wasn't in awe the first time I saw each respective dragon. I in particular have made plenty of posts that sound like all I do is boring grinding to get ascended gear and now a legendary. What may be lost in that is that I had an absolute blast exploring the world at my leisure, trying out WvW, hunting for JP's, etc. I've spent many many hours on this game for a reason and I know I'm not the only one. If you're still early on in the game or haven't cleared us much content, don't worry about what others are doing. Enjoy the game in your own way and at your own pace. The only reason I'm going for a Legendary now is that I've done everything else in the game outside of dungeon master, pretty much.

First time I stumbled into the Hidden Garden/Diedre's Steppes... :O

And of course I fell to my death and with no one around to res that's a game over on that one. When I got out the entrance was gone. Felt so satisfying to go back with the guild weeks later with a mission at hand and finally beat it.
Oh yeah, what a surprise that was! I kill an enemy and then a portal appears and I'm like where the heck does this go? My body wasn't ready. It took me a little while to figure out what to do/where everything was but it was fun figuring it out :D
I stumbled on this JP two nights ago and went through the exact same sense of awe you did. Unfortunately, there was no one around to help me with the group event at the end so I couldn't complete it :(
I think that may have been the high point of the game for me. I get the WP out there and think, what a waste of land, there has to be something else. I go in the cave and it seems like it's a dead end, I convince myself there has to be more. I see that pillar that looks like I could maybe jump up it but am 80 percent sure it's nothing and I'm wasting my time and then...holy moley! I think that was the most careful I've ever been in the game. I was so afraid of dying because it was like 3AM and no one was with me to rez. That destroyer event was terrifying because of this and it was intense running for my life and getting up on a structure where I was safe, watching so many of them scurry about, looking for me. Thank god the time runs out haha Then I find the big daddy boss and didn't want to risk soloing it at that point. I was so glad that you can load the game up exactly where you left off, allowed me to get to bed with hopes of teammates the next day :D

Jira

In regards to the whole gamification topic, the reason that stuff is done is because of a subset of players who are simply incapable of not being led by the hand. Originally there were no levels at all but they were added due to certain people being unable to grasp the idea of just go out and find stuff. During testing, a tester was approached by an NPC saying "Help, the well is poisoned!" and the tester ran right on by. When asked why they didn't help them, the tester said "Because he didn't have an exclamation point above their head". Thus Hearts were born, prior to this Hearts didn't exist and there were just DEs, even though they had very obvious tells that something was happening like NPC running up to you and telling you about it, stuff on fire, poison coming up from the well, and so on. During testing it's obvious their data showed them that some people required that direction. In early Beta, if you remember there were people constantly saying they don't get enough XP. Come to find out all they were doing was going Heart to Heart and nothing else therefore gaining very little XP. So the very mechanic in which they introduced to make some of the players happy ended up being detrimental to the entire game design. What they should have done in regards to POIs, Hearts, and Vistas is make them invisible on the map until you come across them so people are forced to actually get out there and explore.

Personally I don't agree with the hold my hand concept of game design, but the people who post here are certainly not your average gamer. They have their data and they know what the majority of the playerbase does/wants. Thankfully, all of the things they did didn't affect me because I can simply ignore how that stuff works and do what I want at any time.

Oh and in regards to the whole big events/rewards bit of the topic, it doesn't matter what a dev does the players will ALWAYS choose the path of least resistance opposed to what is fun. Humans are efficient by nature and that's all there is to it. I don't think that can ever be stamped out of game design unless every single bit of a game is equally efficient and equally fun (I don't think that's possible).

Levyne

Banned
;-;
Maybe I'm seeing what I want to see but even the underwater pods look less populous :(

Seems rather knee-jerk. The farm was gonna be significantly less popular in a week or so anyway when the buff (likely) ends. If the farm had that sort of return normally, I could see the need to cut it back so that game wealth didn't become so correlated to "how long did you spend killing skelk"...but without the buff it really wouldn't have anyway..

sigh

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
iWgakbXnpYgMY.jpg
See how one hole fits perfectly over the screw and one hole is dangling off the side and you can see the table? Yeah. The bolt through kit came with the wrong mounting plate.I ordered a 7366 kit and got a sealed bag with the plate for a socket 775.

Went to my brother in law for help and spent 20 mins trying to drill a new hole throug to make it fit. No dice, it's hardened steel (such solid construction!) So now he's just out a drill bit.

All the other pieces were for the right socket. I have a brand new heatsink/fan and everything else and this one 2 inch metal wedge is reducing my pc to a $1000 paperweight. Im about ready to go live in the hills as an apeman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom