• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Guild Wars 2 just got slightly cheaper on GMG! $37.99. Definitely going to buy it now, even if I am not use to the mechanics and events/quest system yet I can see I am going to enjoy it and the great looking surroundings and atmosphere are already enough for me. Solid session tonight after work should solve any problems I currently have.

Going to have to start my Warrior character again but I was only level 3 lols. Give me a chance to re read all the beginner tips/tutorial section again too.

Hawkian - probably ignore that in game mail I sent you last night as tonight I will have a new username/character code etc. Sorry for that, it was a friends account as I had mentioned.

EDIT: Bought. VWdrewz.1960

Okay guys, going into noob mode again for a moment.

I'm mostly a PvE player, but I'd like to get involved in WvW. I've gone a couple times on my own, but I have no idea the strategies to use or, really, what to do at all. I mean, I get the basic goals, but I don't really know how to go about doing it in ways that I can feel like I'm contributing. Is there a quick primer on WvW anywhere?

The best and easiest way to get involved is to listen in on your server's mumble or teamspeak. It will make your WvW experience a lot better. You'll learn a lot and better understand at what's happening at any given time.

I just left a good WvW guild because of their insistance on using their private teamspeak over the server's mumble (which most of the other big guilds use) rubbed me the wrong way.

Getting to COF is a NIGHTMARE! I ... really just don't like Charr areas with my ele :/

Only with my Warrior would I enjoy going to such an area I think.

Proven

that videos not in a zerg though. that's the problem. i agree in small scale fights guards are fine, but if you need to range you're fucked. the scepter is only 1200 yards and a dead person can dodge the missiles.

I picked this video because this guy is part of a regular zerg busting group.

I could have just went with the fact that my Power Necro build in WvW runs with a maximum of 600 range on the main hand weapons.

You really don't need a ranged weapon for being in a zerg. D/D Elementalists want to say hi too.

Edit: Here's another example, back when culling was still a problem, starring the Warrior, a class with even less defensive ability compared to the Guardian. He's running Sword/Axe and Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfsYGEpD0E Did you never hear about hammer trains? NSFW from language.

Island

So this dragon festival thing... Will a lowbie like myself be able to partake or are these things for high levels only?

Proven

I'm just going to repost this as it got caught on the bottom of the last page.
Here's another example, back when culling was still a problem, starring the Warrior, a class with even less defensive ability compared to the Guardian. He's running Sword/Axe and Hammer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfsYGEpD0E Did you never hear about hammer trains? NSFW from language.

Retro

Cool... Also is there a guide or something detailing what you are all talking about on guild chat?

Golem? Exotic skin? Etc...

Golem is one of several world events that happen on a regular basis. This one in particular is in Mount Maelstrom (Level 60-70 zone), so it's something you'll want to do later. These events award at least one Rare per day, per account, so they tend to be announced whenever they're starting.

There are a few you can do in the early zones; Shadow Behemoth (Queensdale, usually just "SB"), the Jungle Wurm (Caledon Forest, usually just "Wurm") the Frozen Maw (Wayfarer Foothills, "Maw") and Fire Elemental (Metrica, "FE" for short) are all doable in your teens.

If you want to know where exactly they're at and when they're about to occur, you can use this; http://us.gw2stuff.com/events/stormbluff-isle . Lots of us have it on our second monitors or use the overlay, but alt-tabbing usually works too.

I'm not sure what people were talking about for Exotic skins, probably just referencing a weapon or armor piece with a unique graphic ("Skin") they want.

MMOs sort of develop their own lingo... takes a while to get used to, but feel free to ask in guild chat; everybody in the guild is friendly, for the most part.

Levyne

Banned
There's this one guy called da-lion that isn't so nice. He verbally tortures many guild members and leaves you feeling like shit on the inside.

Incoming "That's khold" pun.

Island

Golem is one of several world events that happen on a regular basis. This one in particular is in Mount Maelstrom (Level 60-70 zone), so it's something you'll want to do later. These events award at least one Rare per day, per account, so they tend to be announced whenever they're starting.

There are a few you can do in the early zones; Shadow Behemoth (Queensdale, usually just "SB"), the Jungle Wurm (Caledon Forest, usually just "Wurm") the Frozen Maw (Wayfarer Foothills, "Maw") and Fire Elemental (Metrica, "FE" for short) are all doable in your teens.

If you want to know where exactly they're at and when they're about to occur, you can use this; http://us.gw2stuff.com/events/stormbluff-isle . Lots of us have it on our second monitors or use the overlay, but alt-tabbing usually works too.

I'm not sure what people were talking about for Exotic skins, probably just referencing a weapon or armor piece with a unique graphic ("Skin") they want.

MMOs sort of develop their own lingo... takes a while to get used to, but feel free to ask in guild chat; everybody in the guild is friendly, for the most part.

Thank you for that. Very informative. And that link is cool.

Looking for something different, I've respecced my Ranger to Faux's "RRR" Build (https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/professions/ranger/Update-6-4-Faux-s-RRR-Build-Conditions). Getting a full set of Settler's gear (-backpiece), runes et al. knocked out all my cash.

Didn't get to play it much last night - did a bit of PvE and then some skirmishing in Desolation's borderland.

I've basically ruined my ranger in PvE because I don't seem to do enough damage to get credit for events if I get there towards the end. Partly that's me not knowing what the hell I'm doing. I have other characters that can do this though so I'm not too worried.

WvWvW it feels very awesome - certainly in terms of survivability. I've got a weekend now to test :)

Repped GAF and SBI tonight at the wubwub fight club. Many good fights were had.

You stayed much longer after I left?

I know I lost a lot buti was happy I beat every profession at least once.

Edit: actually I think I only faced a Mesmer once and got my ass handed to me.

I'm 25% into my crafting of the Exotic, called Volcanus.

Most people have seen it as Fiery Greatsword, a Elite skill for the Elementalist.

My plan was to craft Volcanus because I will never muster the courage and will to craft Sunrise. It's simply impossible. Mostly because of the precurssor. I know. I know if I start doing the mystic toilet I will get angry and upset if I don't get it. There is no reason for me to get that angry at the game, so I will never use the mystic forge gamble. It will make me hate myself and the game to throw 300 swords in there and fail. It's too much.

Lately, I've been previewing Volcanus on my character, and I am not sure if I want it as bad as I thought I did. It goes for 550 goldish now, which is around the same price as Dawn.

In your guys opinion - Should I keep working on Volcanus, craft it and keep it? It's a big ass beautiful Sword, and it looks pretty cool.

Or I could craft it and sell it, and try to buy Dawn and work on Legendary from scratch(but with a precurssor in hand)!.

Or I could forget it now and sell my 50 Destroyer Lodestones and my 150 Molten Cores and 20 Lodestones.
I Already have my Eldtrich Scroll(50 skill points), and my Gift of Baelfire(500 COF badges). I have my 100 Ghost Peppers.
'
In total I need 100 Destroyer Lodestones
350 Molten Lodestones

These are the problems. To convert two cores into lodestones you need T6 Dust. The prices are in the 39-41s. You ned Elonian Wine which is 25s for one. So in total I need almost 75 gold of Elonian Wine. And around 150-250 gold of T6 dust to convert into Lodestones.

There is just nothing left in the game I really want outside of Sunrise. I keep waiting for a Greatsword Katana, and I am sure it will come in a Cantha expansion like we got in GW1. But that might take a long time.

But the legendary... getting 500 Oricalcum Ingots. That's 1000 Orcicalcum Orrs. That's insane. Getting 500 Ectos. Getting 250 of all six Tiers of materials. It makes my brain hurt in my head. And then the lodestones. And 100g worth of icy runestones. It just goes up and up and up.

Volcanus is within my limits. It's like 1/4 of legendary. 1-2 months of additional effort could let me have it. But do I really want? it looks sort of strange to have it sheath with the fire effects...

Proven

My problem with most of the legendaries and even special exotics is the fact that they're cool effects do not match the type of builds I use. I don't want a flaming sword when my sword doesn't actually burn people!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Really sorry I had to bail last night... in addition to my laptop spazzing out to spite me I was racing the clock for my friend who was walking in the rain to meet me and he got to the gate of my complex during the crystal challenge and I had to go let him in. I don't think anybody posted how that wound up- did you guys manage to pull it out? We had 4/5 crystals at like 25% HP and the western one a bit higher.

New plate should come today. Guess I'm going to start looking into new computers to buy if it doesn't work because even though I haven't spent much money yet I'm just getting too stressed by all the time this has taken up. Really was not expecting or hoping to spend hundreds of dollars right now but I guess I may have no real choice. Maybe I'll look at the GAF gaming PC thread, see what I might afford.
character slots are on sale now for 640 gems(22g40s).
This is much appreciated :)

Ceres

Banned
For mystic toilet, I just toss all my greens for rares and then toss any bad rares for a chance at exotics. I stopped doing it awhile ago as I have been spending more time in wvw than killing world bosses. Although I get a lot of greens from wvw and always keep them handy for the mt.
Salvage any rare armors.
Sell any rare weapons worth more than 30s on tp.

I'm not a fan of the looks of many of the expensive weapons and medium armors. Right now I'm rocking a set of the GW1 Heritage skins you can unlock with Hall of Monuments on my ranger.

I've also started messing around with some of the pricey crafting. Got one of the tailor satchel recipes and got a 3g+ profit off one lvl 50 set as I had all of the materials. Ran out of fangs and cotton partway though making a second though.

Really sorry I had to bail last night... in addition to my laptop spazzing out to spite me I was racing the clock for my friend who was walking in the rain to meet me and he got to the gate of my complex during the crystal challenge and I had to go let him in. I don't think anybody posted how that wound up- did you guys manage to pull it out? We had 4/5 crystals at like 25% HP and the western one a bit higher.
We weren't able to get it done with the first strategy. Those with the weapons kept going down too fast so everything reset. With about 2-3m left, we did a new strategy where we zerged from one crystal to the next leaving each at a low hp. It was effective but we ended up running out of time. Although next time we'd probably modify it to have the group divide up when the last crystal is low so we take out the crystals faster as I think even without running out of time, east crystal reset since we left west crystal with too much HP.

You stayed much longer after I left?

I know I lost a lot buti was happy I beat every profession at least once.

Edit: actually I think I only faced a Mesmer once and got my ass handed to me.

I might have to join you guys later on if there are more fight clubs going on in our other matchups

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I joined the worst Sorrow's Embrace Path 1/3 group ever last night. I need skillpoints so I thought, oh, two quick dungeons should do it.

2 hours later, we're up against the destroyed and my team kept dying. I tell them to pull aggro from adds and me / dredge champion will take the boss. Somehow, this works, and I managed to have more fun in Sorrow's Embrace than ever before. All cause of a shitty pug!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
We weren't able to get it done with the first strategy. Those with the weapons kept going down too fast so everything reset. With about 2-3m left, we did a new strategy where we zerged from one crystal to the next leaving each at a low hp. It was effective but we ended up running out of time. Although next time we'd probably modify it to have the group divide up when the last crystal is low so we take out the crystals faster as I think even without running out of time, east crystal reset since we left west crystal with too much HP.
Very interesting strategy, didn't have a clue that would work. Does anyone know if it gives you 30 seconds once you break one, like with the Branded champions?

Besides the supplies one the crystals has got to be the toughest to do with a skeleton crew.

I might have to join you guys later on if there are more fight clubs going on in our other matchups

Yes you should.

It was pretty bad that only Doc and I were representing SBI. I never saw any other SBI player participating.

It was fun beating someone who clearly had a higher WvW rank.

Tomas

Banned
We (HAIL Guild which has some ex-EU GAF guild members) had a challenge with crystals. We did the second strategy which you used. It took about 7-8 minutes for the first try to barely fail, but the second try was successful with at least 5 minutes to spare.

Complistic

I joined the worst Sorrow's Embrace Path 1/3 group ever last night. I need skillpoints so I thought, oh, two quick dungeons should do it.

2 hours later, we're up against the destroyed and my team kept dying. I tell them to pull aggro from adds and me / dredge champion will take the boss. Somehow, this works, and I managed to have more fun in Sorrow's Embrace than ever before. All cause of a shitty pug!

Thats great. Unfortunately, I've got this thing where if my team dies in the same place 3 or 4 times, I'm out. I just can't handle it, so it's usually best for everyone if I leave and they find someone else :p

It rarely happens, but instead of getting frustrated or angry with anyone , I just leave and start to do something else. Must of been too many unfruitful pugs in the past.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Thats great. Unfortunately, I've got this thing where if my team dies in the same place 3 or 4 times, I'm out. I just can't handle it, so it's usually best for everyone if I leave and they find someone else :p

It rarely happens, but instead of getting frustrated or angry with anyone , I just leave and start to do something else. Must of been too many unfruitful pugs in the past.

There were a 100 instances where I wanted to do that. Heck, I noticed I hadn't touched Orr with that character and that was 30x more skillpoints waiting to be had in a smaller amount of time.

But I started the instance and it wouldn't be fair to anyone for investing that time as well and getting booted.

I wasn't really thinking about things and equipped this random hammer that I got rewarded. Then when I re-equipped my sword two of the abilities I had are now missing. Oops.

I wasn't really thinking about things and equipped this random hammer that I got rewarded. Then when I re-equipped my sword two of the abilities I had are now missing. Oops.

You might have unlocked the skills on a One handed sword and then equipped a Greatsword which is two handed or vice-versa.

Also maybe you put your one handed sword on the off-hand which means your skills 1-3 might be missing.

hythloday

The hammer is a 2 handed weapon and the sword is 1 handed. Did you have a secondary weapon equipped in your off hand? It would have been bumped to your inventory when you equipped the hammer, and not automatically re equipped.

Or what Kos said.

Wow, that's awesome. Guys, have you read that? Love all the work on those details that many don't even get to see.

Not to sound like a jerk, but that's definitely Not Cool for your party members. Party disbanding should definitely be done until majority consensus (unless there's been mean behaviour between party members or something). :/

OK, this is how it works.

Of your first five skills, three (1-3) are determined by what you're wielding on your right hand, while two (4-5) are determined by your left hand. When you're wielding a two-hand weapon, it determines all five of your skills. If you're wielding a weapon type for the first time, some of its skills will be grayed out until you learn them, but since you already had all five, that's not the problem. I can think of two things:
1) You had a two-handed sword equipped (five skills), but you actually equipped back a one-handed sword. You need to equip something on your left hand to get its appropriate two abilities (shields are "weapons" as far as GW2 is concerned; they can only be wielded on your left hand and provide two skills as well).
2) You had a one-handed sword and another weapon/shield on your left hand. Equipping the hammer, a two-hander, removed both of your weapons, so equipping back your 1h sword left you with an empty left hand. Same deal, equip something on it.

Unlike some other games, there is absolutely no benefit whatsoever to have an empty left hand: you're just missing two skils and a bunch of stats. Also, it might be in your best interest to keep equipping weapons you haven't unlocked all skills of yet; it's quite quick actually (most classes will have unlocked all skills long before level 10; Elementalists take a bit more, what with having four elements).

Remember you can check ALL weapon types you can equip, along with all the skills they can provide (locked ones will be grayed out), in your Hero pane; hit H, then select the third icon/tab (the "star" thingy), THEN select Weapon Skills from the sub-tab. Depending on your class, you'll be able to equip some one-handed weapons on your right hand, your left hand, or both (for example, Thieves can equip pistols on both hands, Engis only on their right hand, and Mesmers only on their left hand; nobody else can equip pistols).

Levyne

Banned
Not to sound like a jerk, but that's definitely Not Cool for your party members. Party disbanding should definitely be done until majority consensus (unless there's been mean behaviour between party members or something). :/

eh, It's understandable. If it's not the party lead it doesn't really bug me.

Complistic

It's way cooler than staying and bossing people around. Because I'm not the sort of person that can sit back and repeatedly fail at something quietly.

First 3 or 4 fails, I'm fine, I'll work with everyone and try to figure out a solution. After that, 75% of the time, the party just isn't good enough to do it at all anyway.

Legendary talk

If that's what you really want, then make it a long term goal. I decided to create the clovers first since every failure yields a bunch of t6 mats, ori ingots, or lodestones. It helps a lot when you need everything, I might very well continue doing it even after I get all the clovers I need as a quick way to get t6 mats in bulk. I'll have to look at if there's a more efficient way but seems like it's a pretty decent way to go as long as you don't need ecto for something else. The lodestones you need shouldn't be 'too' expensive to buy from TP, thank the Tyrian gods you don't need Charged Lodestones like I do as they are several times more expensive than all the others :( I think the trick will be to do what's fun, but try to do 'something' towards the legendary effort every time you log on.

Taffer

We (HAIL Guild which has some ex-EU GAF guild members) had a challenge with crystals. We did the second strategy which you used. It took about 7-8 minutes for the first try to barely fail, but the second try was successful with at least 5 minutes to spare.

I switched to SBI just before guild missions appeared, how are Stormcallers doing with them? They were a cool bunch so I'm hoping they (the missions) are going well for you guys.

Played a good few hours tonight. Still fairly lost but starting to get better at the combat. Just roamed around the first few areas the whole time checking everything out. Only got two parts of the dailies done(50 kills, gathering). Could do the crafting bit but I need sleep. Wouldn't get two more done anyway before the time is up so oh well.

Seeing a lot of points of interests on the map I just can't seem to reach. Mostly in mountains etc, not too sure what I am suppose to do there. Can't remember any names though so can't really ask for any instructions.

Somehow haven't come across a dynamic event yet. Except for the very beginning tutorial one if you'd call it a proper event.

Island

What is the main hub that people talk in.... I just moved into the next zone (after the 1-15) and it seems pretty quiet.... I'm used to wow chat so this almost seems really empty in comparison.

Retro

Played a good few hours tonight. Still fairly lost but starting to get better at the combat. Just roamed around the first few areas the whole time checking everything out. Only got two parts of the dailies done(50 kills, gathering). Could do the crafting bit but I need sleep. Wouldn't get two more done anyway before the time is up so oh well.

Seeing a lot of points of interests on the map I just can't seem to reach. Mostly in mountains etc, not too sure what I am suppose to do there. Can't remember any names though so can't really ask for any instructions.

Somehow haven't come across a dynamic event yet. Except for the very beginning tutorial one if you'd call it a proper event.

Dailies reset at 8pm EDT, Midnight GMT, 8am in Western Australia, 10am in Eastern. Not sure what your schedule is like, but if you're up before then you could knock the last few out.

What is the main hub that people talk in.... I just moved into the next zone (after the 1-15) and it seems pretty quiet.... I'm used to wow chat so this almost seems really empty in comparison.

Map chat, usually, but Guild Chat is usually more active unless you're in a city. It's also the middle of the day on a weekday for most players and there's all that stuff going on in Southsun to boot.

it's the same as in WoW. A new area has it's own chat, and just like in WoW some zones are very quiet as few players are in them.

Join a active guild and talk with them, when roaming through these zones.

To find a more popular zone, press the top almost far right icon in the top of the screen. It takes you to the Heart of the Mists. From there you get a portal to Lions Arch, and from there you can take other portals to other zones that are more popular.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just to make sure, you know there are more options each day than the 5 that show up at first in the upper right?
Sometimes there's a little up or down arrow icon showing you if it's far above or below you (could be underground, underwater). Some of them are just tricky to get to in general though.
That seems basically impossible :/ The beginning tutorial quest isn't a dynamic event at all, it's instanced.
Lion's Arch is the main hub. You can get there at any time either by taking the portal from your home city or from the Mists (hit the PvP menu). You can also go from there to any other race's city and explore those starting areas too (so whatever zone it was you went to doesn't have to be "next" for you unless you want to be there).

kaioshade

Apartment flooded due to the massive amounts of rain in Atlanta.
Lots of shit dead, including computer. So no guild wars 2 for me for a little while (i could instal it on my Macbook Pro...)

See you guys in a week or so when i move into new apartment. and get new rig built.

Levyne

Banned
Oh damn :(

Yeah it has been raining here a lot lately...luckily I live on the 5th floor.

Insured?

(Also afaik there is a Mac Client, I don't know anything about it though)

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Apartment flooded due to the massive amounts of rain in Atlanta.
Lots of shit dead, including computer. So no guild wars 2 for me for a little while (i could instal it on my Macbook Pro...)

See you guys in a week or so when i move into new apartment. and get new rig built.
uh

Holy shit. Glad you're okay and I hope nothing irreplaceable or sentimental was ruined. Good grief man. Sorry you had to go through that. I'm staring at a lingering wall of rain outside my window at work, this crap just won't go away!

Seeing a lot of points of interests on the map I just can't seem to reach. Mostly in mountains etc, not too sure what I am suppose to do there. Can't remember any names though so can't really ask for any ...

Look for caves around mountains that lead you inside so you can get those poi's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom