• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Katoki

Didn't know there was specific placement for the different skill orbs. I had just gotten really good at working with what I had to the point where people would swap to my team the next rounds to stack the odds.

Levyne

Banned
Haven't stepped foot into dragonball yet. By the time I do everyone else will be experts!

Spent more time in WvW today than the last 4 months combined.

So close to home time. Just wanna chill back in trackies and a hoodie and play some guild wars with a few beers.

Poor girlfriend, become a dota and guild wars widow on the weekends lately lol.

Gotta get my level up so I can actually do something in WvW. Such low damage on my weapons.

TrounceX

Pretty sure normal WvW has a much faster badge acquisition rate.

It absolutely is, I probably average 75-100 badges/day. Just go to the Eternal Battlegrounds in the evening and hop on the bag train.

I got ~180 kills today!

I'm up to
~600 lol

I have like 15,000 lol. Kinda crazy when I think about it. So many dead CD/SoS...

Someone needs to give me the awesome "mist warrior" rank thing in the guild btw. I'm jealous of people that have that.

I wonder if they will announce Guild Wars 2 for Playstation 4.

I don't know why, but a part of me think it's not entirely unlikely. Sony made a deal with NCsoft some time ago, about bringing some MMO projects to consoles.

But after seeing that SOE's own Planetside 2 won't have cross-play between PC and PS4 owners, I have my doubts. There must be some constraints between PSN and outside networks.
Alternatively, a MMO is always limited by being on a console. You never get to just update to new drivers or new technologies, just as easily as on PC. In that sense I hope, GW2 will not come to PS4, because I am afraid it will hurt the long term development on the PC side, as to what they can do with the game technically.

Anno

Looks like there's now a larger window between the holographic guys spawning and becoming active. They also have a good bit more health. Should help even out 80s 1-shotting groups of them out from under people.

Levyne

Banned
It absolutely is, I probably average 75-100 badges/day. Just go to the Eternal Battlegrounds in the evening and hop on the bag train.

I'm pretty sure the last time I collected badges the drop rate was still terrible [or had just recently changed, maybe.] Plus you could do the eb puzzle on multiple characters.

Wasn't really about badges though yesterday. Just didn't want to farm coffers for the third staight day.

Dragon Ball was fun. I was constantly getting the top score player. It seems like I do extremely well in these special PvP events. I always got first in the Crab Toss, Wintersday Present Thing, and that Halloween Thing. I'm thinking of trying out the real PvP but I'm a bit frightened by the whole thing. If I did well in those special PvP arenas, would I do fine in the real thing?

There is absolutely zero downside to trying out PvP; you don't physically use up anything for trying random PvP teams. There's people of all skill levels in random PvP, and if you're doing well in seasonal events, you should do well in PvP, since it's not deathmach; there's a component of strategy and sneakyness about getting flags when no one is looking or distracting them so that a teammate can do so, so it's much less min-max-learn-your-build-and-rotation-by-heart as in other MMOs like WoW. Further, everyone has the same equipment, so that's another non-factor and non-advantage by senior players. In fact, it feels a lot like the seasonal PvP modes. If you enjoyed them, you probably will enjoy it.

People is also really laid back; I've never seen anyone criticise anyone else in team chat. This is not LOL or ROI. :D

I wonder if they will announce Guild Wars 2 for Playstation 4.

I doubt the game will come to PS4; even though Hawkian and I have developed a quite sophisticated and ergonomic gamepad control mode, ArenaNet seems more or less uninterested in making an official one.

But after seeing that SOE's own Planetside 2 won't have cross-play between PC and PS4 owners, I have my doubts. There must be some constraints between PSN and outside networks.

That is most likely simply due to the fact that Planetside 2 is a shooter, so there's a significant difference from playing with a controller than with a mouse; the PC crowd would have a clear advantage. Unbelievable as it might seem (and I can see many eyebrows raised at this), playing Guild Wars 2 with a controller feels like I have at the very least the same degree of competence, if not much more, than with kb+m. This is coming from someone who's played WoW kb+m for six years.

Alternatively, a MMO is always limited by being on a console. You never get to just update to new drivers or new technologies, just as easily as on PC. In that sense I hope, GW2 will not come to PS4, because I am afraid it will hurt the long term development on the PC side, as to what they can do with the game technically.

In the improbable case that they would actually go with this, then, considering the power that the PS4 has displayed in recent videos, I have no doubt it would have no problem at all handling Guild Wars 2 and any and every subsequent update.

Sorry Zero Swordbreaker. My internet disconnected right as I mentioned I had bought the packs.

isn't reconnecting either, just rang my ISP and its an "unexpected outage" effecting heaps of people. Guess I won't be there for the first fire works display. Not that its a big deal.

Ceres

Banned
Anyone want to teamup on enemy BL tonight after reset for a havok group and flip camps? I'm not really a huge fan of the EB zerg. Its usually too much of a slideshow. If TB is doing anything, I usually try to team up with them as they're one of the few guilds that actually do coordinated events and don't just zerg.

Hoping we get another good matchup. Would love to fight EBay even though I think we'll loose against them if we don't face a third server that will destroy both of us.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Man what a weird week, I've been on at a bunch of different times but really barely played much at all total. Off schedule. Hopefully tonight I'll get some solid something done. Haven't even tried a match of Dragon Ball!

Retro

Anyone want to teamup on enemy BL tonight after reset for a havok group and flip camps? I'm not really a huge fan of the EB zerg. Its usually too much of a slideshow. If TB is doing anything, I usually try to team up with them as they're one of the few guilds that actually do coordinated events and don't just zerg.

Hoping we get another good matchup. Would love to fight EBay even though I think we'll loose against them if we don't face a third server that will destroy both of us.

Friday nights are specifically reserved for WvW, so hopefully a lot of folks will be there to join.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm down, will be very interesting to see the matchup. This was a really fun one, wish I had spent a bit more time in.

Ashodin

Culling commencing.

IF YOU ARE A "MEMBER" STATUS in THE GUILD, YOU WILL BE CULLED. ALL THOSE CURRENTLY PLAYING ARE SET TO "PLAYS".

ONCE CULLING IS COMPLETE, "PLAYS" MEMBERS WILL BE SET TO "MEMBER" AND THE ORIGINAL MEMBER RANK WILL BE DELETED.

After this, members will be judged based on recent achievement points gained via the leaderboards. They were enacted back in March, and since it's three months since then, we can reliably see who has and has not played.

Ashodin

Culling complete, 150 cut, guild feels lean mean fighting machine.

Another scheduled culling will occur at the end of the month (provided officers do not object) where I will use Leaderboard ranking to cull any those that have not played since before April 1st.

I use that as a marker because Super Adventure Box was a HUGE boost to the game, featured on many websites (including Kotaku) and drew in more people back to the game briefly than before because of the retro nature of the content. If you haven't played since then, then it stands to reason you're not playing at all.

PatzCU

Culling commencing.

IF YOU ARE A "MEMBER" STATUS in THE GUILD, YOU WILL BE CULLED. ALL THOSE CURRENTLY PLAYING ARE SET TO "PLAYS".

ONCE CULLING IS COMPLETE, "PLAYS" MEMBERS WILL BE SET TO "MEMBER" AND THE ORIGINAL MEMBER RANK WILL BE DELETED.

After this, members will be judged based on recent achievement points gained via the leaderboards. They were enacted back in March, and since it's three months since then, we can reliably see who has and has not played.

Ugh, I was probably cut. I play, but only about 5-6 hours a week at off hours. I'll message someone in game for an invite.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just to be clear, if you were culled, this was NOT an indication that you were not wanted in the guild, or anything personal, or really even necessarily more than a mistake (we try to switch every single active player to Plays as soon as we catch them on, but I had missed Creciente until it was pointed out yesterday).

No hard feelings, please just ask any officer if you want back in, preferably through in-game mail, and that's that. We don't require any specific activity level whatsoever to be a GAF member; essentially, caring or noticing that you were culled is the requirement to get back in :p

Taffer

Q2bkhRh.jpg

Hmmmm. Maybe later.

Keasar

Guesting through EU/US won't work because of their data center issues or some such.

Aw man.

Wasn't there some plans to bring in international guest servers? For the specific purpose of getting different regions to be able to play with each other.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Aw man.

Wasn't there some plans to bring in international guest servers? For the specific purpose of getting different regions to be able to play with each other.
I don't know what plans you're referring to, do you mean some kind of official comment?

Essentially, based on my understanding of their server infrastructure, guesting cross-region won't be possible, but guest-only servers internationally would (likely what you're thinking of). But it's likely going to be a lot of work from a design perspective and I wouldn't expect to hear anything about it until at least after the Asian market launch is all tidied up.

Definitely sucks, but at least it's feasible one day.
ANet/Community PvP showmatch for Mist League if anyone is interested. ANet actually won the first game!
raw.

Is the fireworks thing bugged for anyone else? I watched it when the server time was 7am and nothing happened. I was there from about 6:55-7:10 server time.

Well, I think I watched it ha.

xeris

Is the fireworks thing bugged for anyone else? I watched it when the server time was 7am and nothing happened. I was there from about 6:55-7:10 server time.

Well, I think I watched it ha.

It seems to be keyed to in-game time. The effect of this is if you're in an overflow, that overflow doesn't necessarily match real time. For example, the overflow I was in tonight had the fireworks go off about an hour after the main SBI server. In both it seems to have gone off at dawn of the day/night cycle.

It seems to be keyed to in-game time. The effect of this is if you're in an overflow, that overflow doesn't necessarily match real time. For example, the overflow I was in tonight had the fireworks go off about an hour after the main SBI server. In both it seems to have gone off at dawn of the day/night cycle.

Hmm ok. Yeah I think I read overflow at some point. Think while playing dota tonight ill just have gw open at the fountain. Checking in everyone and then.

jersoc

i'm convinced the skins don't exist. have farmed and opened well over 400 coffers with nothing so far. that's fucking insane.

now the holos got buffed and more of a pain in the ass.

Damn, the Jade Longbow. That's a sick looking weapon. The shield as well.

EDIT: Btw I've recovered from 100g mystic toilet loss. A few days in the sun and the wanting to play as returned. But I take it easy.

I can tell you that I had so much fun with the Moa races. Why? Because 50 silver is actually a big deal, and the fact that players are running with the birds along the track, shouting stupid shit(and sometimes hilarious) really entertained me. It took me a while, and a small loss before I got the achievement, but I actually thought these Moa races where really nice. This mini game is better than what the game launched with. And I like this style more than Keg Ball and Crab Toss. I think those mini games are took broken with the animations, and that frustrate me.

I am looking forward to Dragon Balls. It looks playable, and everyone misses the Arena Shooters!

I know ArenaNet is not the perfect company, but they have given me more in less than a year for free, than any SUB model MMORPG gave me in years for being subscribed. This game is so good. It's such a playable game, and the early events back in october, november, december seems like they happened ages past. You had to have been there. That is the power of temporary content. It awakes the immediacy. We need the LFG tool, we need reworked dungeons, and sPvP still needs a lot more... social and incentive trappings. But it's pretty good. Many MMORPGs fall apart, and only a few stay a float.

So far GW2 has managed to do it quite well. Sometimes they take a step back, but in the grand scheme of the last 10-15 years of MMOs, you simply have to clap for GW2, and it's not even a year old. I hope they keep the pace.

Achtius

Is the dragon wing or whatever hard to get? :O

edit: nm, 10 of 14 achievement...I CAN DO IT.

I just realized that i haven't beat the story mode yet.. lol fml

i'm convinced the skins don't exist. have farmed and opened well over 400 coffers with nothing so far. that's fucking insane.

Regular enemies drop coffers as well. Yesterday I went to do my dailies and the first three enemies I killed dropped a coffer each. In fact drop rate doesn't seem to be lower for normal enemies than for holograms!

I have only received one but it was buying a rich coffer. Got a ticket to buy one.

Proven

Regular enemies drop coffers as well. Yesterday I went to do my dailies and the first three enemies I killed dropped a coffer each. In fact drop rate doesn't seem to be lower for normal enemies than for holograms!
You can get them in WvW too. They seem to drop more often than badges, and I was able to get 15+ candy in under an hour (can't remember how many I coffers I opened to get them...).

ANet/Community PvP showmatch for Mist League if anyone is interested. ANet actually won the first game!

I thought it was going to be a sweep, and slept through it. Hmm, catching the VOD: http://www.twitch.tv/mistleague/b/417058781

Orrichio

Hey guys, I just bought this game last night. Are there any like WoW dungeon equivalents? like RFC and other where you need a group to go in ? I really liked that aspect of WoW.

Levyne

Banned
Um. I've never played WoW myself

But for everything I understand about it..

The dungeons play absolutely, entirely, unlike WoW does.

Doesn't mean they aren't enjoyable, (I love them) but expect them to be very different.

Someone who has actually played WoW should be able to comment further..

I have only received one but it was buying a rich coffer. Got a ticket to buy one.

You got a ticket from your first rare coffer?

Retro

Hey guys, I just bought this game last night. Are there any like WoW dungeon equivalents? like RFC and other where you need a group to go in ? I really liked that aspect of WoW.

The first dungeon is at level 30, Ascalon Catacombs. Dungeons in GW2 are pretty fun, but obviously a bit more chaotic due to the lack of the Trinity and safe, predictable tank-and-spank encounters.

You'll also be happy to know that GW2's dungeons have multiple paths through them, so running them more than once can be a completely different experience. First, there's the Story Mode version, which ties into the Personal Story and the story of Destiny's Edge (A group comprised of one member of each race, so you're sure to have bumped into a member already). Those are usually pretty easy and run a bit longer. The loot isn't as amazing, but still decent for the level. They get you acquainted with the basic premise of the dungeon, giving you a rough idea what to expect.

If you or someone in your group has already beaten the Story Mode, then you can do Explorable Mode. Most dungeons have 3 paths to choose from, though some have more (Arah, the final dungeon, has 5 4, thanks Hawk). Explorable Mode dungeons have better loot (including dungeon tokens, used to buy dungeon-themed armor and weapons), but are substantially harder. People tend to run Explorable mode dungeons a lot, and guild chat will usually have calls for "COF1" (Citadel of Flame, Path 1, right now the easiest/fastest dungeon run in the game), AC, etc., just like WoW.

There's also the Fractals of the Mist (usually just "Frac", "Fractals" or "FotM"), which is a special kind of dungeon. It has 9 'mini-dungeons' with wildly different themes. Each time you enter, it randomly grabs three of them, and you must complete all of them to finish. Each time you complete a set of three, your "Fractal Level" moves up; the higher the level, the more difficult the content. You'll often see people say something like "Frac10", which is just the level they're aiming for.

I'd say GW2's dungeons are the most enjoyable out of the MMOs I've played, but still lacking in certain regards. Luckily, they're in the process of revamping the dungeons and the results are much better (Ascalon Catacombs was the first to be revamped and it's much more enjoyable).

Edit: Should probably mention that there's 8 Dungeons in the game currently, 9 if you count Fractals. My favorite thematically is Honor of the Waves, a giant Tibetan-esque sanctuary built onto an iceberg that's sinking, with the whole place leaning at an odd angle. Really looking forward to the revamped version as currently the dungeon itself is sort of... damage-spongy.

hythloday

It's been long enough I can't remember specifically what WoW dungeons were like enough to post direct comparisons. But I did have a lot of fun with them back when I played WoW!

GW2 definitely has group dungeons, and they're challenging and fun. One difference is the lack of an automated "group finder" system like WoW has. However ArenaNet has stated they are working on it and plan to release some type of LFG system.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Well Arah only has 4 explorable paths. But they're good. Except for 4.

The dungeons are all over the place really and some need major revamps of all paths, but every dungeon has at least one path that's really fun in my opinion.

Retro

Well Arah only has 4 explorable paths. But they're good. Except for 4.

The dungeons are all over the place really and some need major revamps of all paths, but every dungeon has at least one path that's really fun in my opinion.

Thought it was 5. Huh. I stand corrected. Or Sit, rather.

As someone coming from WoW, the experience is indeed really different. WoW's dungeons are much more methodical in their approach, especially with trash; assuming you have a good tank and healer, most trash groups are a "follow the recipe" endeavour.

In contrast, GW2 is much more freeform improvisation. You know those moments in WoW when the tank or the healer unexpectedly dies and everyone suddently has to scramble to not wipe? Perhaps have a rogue pop evasion to tank or stunlock the most dangerous mob? GW2 is like that pretty much all the time. For me, that's a good thing in the end (not coincidentally, some of the most fun I've had in WoW are in pulls gone bad like that), but it's quite stressing at first (particularly, holding that state of vigil for the entire duration of the dungeon), until your brain catches up.

Also, everyone has to do a bit of everything. You may thing of yourself as "dps", but you're not; at the very least, keep an eye on your party members' health and position, and be ready to help them if downed.

As for the dungeons themselves, they're a bit all over the place. Unlike WoW's, though, which also had great ones (Shadowfang Keep) and absolutely terrible/repetitive ones (Wailing Caverns, there's no polite way to say this: fuck you and your designer), ArenaNet is doing a revamp pass over them. So far they revamped the very first one, Ascalonian Catacombs, which apparently great success (haven't tried it yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom