• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Proven

I just caught this:
Ashodin said:
THE LOST BEARDS
————————————
ArenaNet’s November 2013 Content
Return to Southsun Cove once more, to find hair lost by various helms and hats, stolen by the Consortium! Join Magnus the Beardy-Handed, as he realizes with his facial follicles stolen, his hands are the most covered furry parts of his body! Enjoy this new hair-raising content where things get too hairy for everyone involved!

This was a slam dunk. I thought Retro typed it up for a second.

I think I'd be sore about the Dragon Ball achievement thing if I hadn't gotten good at it and enjoying it.

I think there's a problem with rewarding players with unique items in return for doing very time-limited achievements as it forces some people to do things they don't want to do.

Retro

They added a vuvuzela in the gemstore.

Wha... why...

For reasons.

I don't mind it; some people will be annoying with it, some people will get really creative with it , but they'll go the same way instruments went in LotRO, except here they have to work to play something instead of downloading an .abc file. Still, even THAT wasn't so bad. Nothing beats the first time you walk into an inn or the auction house and hearing someone jamming out the Wily 1 theme from Mega Man 2 on a lute. The novelty didn't wear off the year or so I played LotRO since people tried it a few times and then rarely did it again.

We don't see Choir Bells all the time, do we?
dingdingdingding-raawr-dingdingding-raawr-dingdingding-raawr-dingdingding

Edit: For clarity, I'm not dismissing your concern, just saying it won't be as annoying as everyone assumes.

Tak3n

Banned
so just got this today, only level 4 :)

It seems ok... couple of questions

do you get a mount? or does it just use the portal idea the whole game?

also is there somewhere to log off that gives rest XP?

I am presuming the NeoGaf guild is USA based?

Levyne

Banned
There are no mounts, no rest exp.

Most of GAF plays on the NA server "Stormbluff Isle" (SBI). If you picked another NA server, you can "Guest" for free to play on SBI whenever. If you picked a EU server, you can't, though many other EU plays just play on SBI and don't report issues with that.

One trick, if you want to do it, is that if you delete your characters you can reselect your server for free. Annoying, but you'd lose the least stuff now and the "cost" of doing so only gets higher from here.

If you post your accountname.xxxx thinger here you can get an invite if you want.

Here's a helpful Retro (one of the officers) post that he will link anyway if I don't ;)

(Well not the original but it's there.)

Retro

so just got this today, only level 4 :)

It seems ok... couple of questions

do you get a mount? or does it just use the portal idea the whole game?

also is there somewhere to log off that gives rest XP?

I am presuming the NeoGaf guild is USA based?

1. No mounts. Travel is done via Asura Gate (large purple gates connecting the major cities) and waypoints (the small, diamond-shaped icons across the maps). Almost every profession has a reliable way to gain the Swiftness boon and quite a few have passive run speed traits or abilities.

2. There is no rested XP, just log out wherever you want (though I'd try to find someplace that will be safe when you log in).

3. GAFGuild is based on Stormbluff Isle, a North American server. If you're outside the US, you can still roll on a NA server; lots of former members of the EU GAFGuild have migrated over or started on SBI and report zero latency issues.

In order to transfer over, you'll probably want to delete your character (since you're level 4) and just start over on SBI. The alternative is to pay something like $20 bucks later. As long as you don't have any active characters, you can transfer wherever you like. Just make sure you deposit all of your money and items into the bank before you nuke them.

Edit: Looks like Khold dug up my Beginners Tips post pretty fast. I think I have a stalker...

Retro

Nah, I just kept flipping back pages and searching for "Paladin" because I remember you used that word.

Ah yes, such a hot-button issue. Thanks for doing my job for me
JUWnj.gif
. I will make 10 less puns next time you are on since I know how much you despise them.

Levyne

Banned
Maybe obvious, but I embellish the degree to which I dislike them [puns], it's actually fine.

Well...maybe when it goes on for hours...

Reknoc

It's probably worth mentioning the game doesn't really need rested exp because it showers you with exp at a constant basis.

Retro

It's probably worth mentioning the game doesn't really need rested exp because it showers you with exp at a constant basis.

Yep. Finding Points of Interest, viewing Vistas, unlocking waypoints, completing Skill challenges, completing all of those in a single map, gathering ore, plants or trees, completing reknown hearts, completing dynamic events, crafting, capturing objectives in World vs. World, dungeons, Personal Story instances, reviving players and NPCs, daily achievements... I feel like I'm forgetting something though...

Oh yeah, killing enemies gives experience too.

Bonus XP if they haven't been killed in a while.

And people bitched that it was too hard to level in this game. I have a harder time keeping myself in appropriate-level zones since I keep out-leveling them.

nataku

Looking at the coffers on the wiki the ticket drop rate for both types of coffers is abysmal.

0.05% for dragon coffers
0.97% for rich dragon coffers

What the hell, ANet? I really hope the next patch does something give people a better chance.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Wow, I called that I think...

edit
:
Reddit post said:
I don't know how the legitimate drop rates for the coffers falls yet, it's been one day and we need a lot of data. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's .05% from the regular coffers and 1% from the Rich ones.

Didn't miss much of anything. Fireworks that "formed" pictures of golems, prof icons, etc.

Dulfy capture of it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkxvxa_X6ro

Thanks! :)

So anyone have wings yet? I keep going back and forth on which pair I like more but I think I'll stick with going for the shattered pair. Last night I decided to run around LA a bit to discover more pinatas that I was bound to be missing. It was kinda fun to try and guess where they placed them and then confirm if they did or not.

Also, curse the overly abundant flow of guests on my server! Three out of the five world events I tried I got tossed into overflow and none of the bosses were even up yet. Need a guest cap or something ha Guess it's the price you pay for being on one of the most active PVE servers but I don't recall it ever being this bad. Wonder what's attracting so many more people to our server this week. At least it's always neat to have conversations running in many zones.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Plenty of people have the Holo Dragon Wings, I'm thinking about buying one to flip, can't really imagine it would work on any of my characters really. The Shattered wings are perfect for my ele though, I'm psyched to get them.

Looks like this stuff is activated, and then there's more stuff to check out tomorrow and Thursday.
The Dragon Effigy Lighting Ceremony single-player instance, Memorials on the Pyre, can be accessed by talking to Inspector Kiel.
Festival planners have added effigies to the explorable areas leading to Lion’s Arch. Players who dance before the effigies will be granted a health bonus of up to 10%.

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Trying to pick a class. I was fixing to go with necromancer, but they have bugs or something?

I was wanting to go ranged after getting a feel of the combat system.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Colin/Peck said:
We feel like our fractals dungeon is the perfect fit for this kind of “historical” experience, similar to the way the BMP worked in Gw1. Even better, it already exists and has explanations behind why these slices of time are available to discover and experience within.

In the future, you’ll see certain types of content that was part of larger story experiences be updated to work within the fractals dungeon and return there where it makes sense to do so. Of course, the specific rewards and achievements will not return since those are intended to be completed as the story unfolds, but the content itself will be used to expand out our fractals experience and serve as a place to continue to experience great (and strange) moments in history.
And yeah that F&F dungeon updated for size would make a good fractal wouldn’t it? =)
All over my fractals

Retro

Effigies are up, and the update notes on the next few phases are up. Be warned however, that they contain spoilers for the next few days of content!

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/info/news/Game-Update-Notes-June-11th-2013/first#post2233980

Trying to pick a class. I was fixing to go with necromancer, but they have bugs or something?

I was wanting to go ranged after getting a feel of the combat system.

Generally all classes have ranged options, though the Guardian's choices are somewhat lacking. Everyone else though has enough to work with you won't feel shortchanged.

Play what clicks with you. I spent all three Beta Weekend Events trying to narrow it down to Warrior. It's still my main, but I'm constantly jumping between my Thief (next highest, mid-60s), Engineer (mid-50s) and a motley assortment of the other professions. The only two professions I haven't rolled are Ranger and Necro (I'm not a fan of pet classes, though necro can go for Well builds that skimp on the pets).

As a more extreme example, my wife was sure she'd go Ranger before the BWEs, didn't care for the class and was sure she'd roll an Ele, then at launch she tried a Mesmer and fell in love. About a month ago she tried Thief, strongly disliked it, but kept at it... now she loves it, and can't go back to her Mesmer.

Finding "your" class is half the fun. Don't be in a rush to get a character to 80. Enjoy the ride, try a little of everything. Pragmatically speaking, all of those trial characters are generating money / crafting materials / equipment you can use when you finally settle on a main.

All over my fractals

He alluded to as much in Guild Chat before the Molten Facility was even gone. It doesn't make sense to never see the coolest boss fight in the game again. Tear out some of the trash and long hallways and the Molten Facility makes a perfect fractal.

Plenty of people have the Holo Dragon Wings, I'm thinking about buying one to flip, can't really imagine it would work on any of my characters really. The Shattered wings are perfect for my ele though, I'm psyched to get them.

Looks like this stuff is activated, and then there's more stuff to check out tomorrow and Thursday.

Well yeah, I meant out of you guys to get a reaction to how everyone is enjoying them. I've seen plenty in LA as I'm sure everyone else has.

Is there a greater background plot to Fractals? I don't even recall it anymore.

Levyne

Banned
Hard for me to get as excited for new fractals as opposed to...4 months ago maybe. Perhaps it will re-kindle enough interest to get me to push for 500.

Hard for me to get as excited for new fractals as opposed to...4 months ago maybe. Perhaps it will re-kindle enough interest to get me to push for 500.

Push for 500?

Also it doesn't seem like they are making anything new they might just add any "dungeon" style content that comes from Living Story (Molten Facility) to the Fractals so that we can replay them.

I thought most people wanted to reply Molten Facility even after Living Story ended because of the chance to get the minis. It looks like the rewards will be the same as any other Fractal.

Retro

I thought most people wanted to reply Molten Facility even after Living Story ended because of the chance to get the minis. It looks like the rewards will be the same as any other Fractal.

The nice thing about Fractals is that they can add a new batch every so often (either new standalone fractals or ones adapted from the Living Story) and it kind of mixes up the order a bit. I'd like to see them 'retire' certain Fractals, making them less common (Dolphin Fractal feels more tedious than interesting).

Throw in a different boss instance rather than the Jade Sea and I think you'll see people back in fractals like when they first came out, especially if there's new rewards attached. I don't think we'll see any of the rewards from MF return, but some new variation on them might be cool.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
whatever you say, more for me or something :p
I want to replay it because it was awesome. Kids these days.
(Dolphin Fractal feels more tedious than interesting).
I don't really think you can call it "dolphin fractal" in good conscience. Plus being a dolphin is amazing and takes like 15 seconds. It's the stupid davillion HP jellyfish that makes that one tedious.

If they add new fractals I'll be happy and especially if they retire some even better.
I got my main to tier 20 in Fractals but the Agony alone is not interesting enough for me to keep playing them over and over...especially when I have 6 Ascended items now and I could have 30 agony resistance if I wanted.

Looks like today's update wont take that much time, so guess I'll start playing The Last of Us tonight.

Levyne

Banned
Maybe there is something about the following idea that I haven't thought about thoroughly, but it would be really nice if you could trade 30ish pristine relics for an account bound fractal weapon, and allow the rng drops to be trade-able. Or make the rng for a ticket to trade instead of a random weapon at least.

I dunno, maybe that's too casual

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
If they add new fractals I'll be happy and especially if they retire some even better.
I got my main to tier 20 in Fractals but the Agony alone is not interesting enough for me to keep playing them over and over...especially when I have 6 Ascended items now and I could have 30 agony resistance if I wanted.

Looks like today's update wont take that much time, so guess I'll start playing The Last of Us tonight.
Same, Tier 2 for the ability to Get All The Goodies, but had no desire to progress further (I don't like enough of the Fractal skins to try for a random selection of them).

I got burnt out doing Tier 1 fractals (specifically, Fractals 1-4) helpin' people out in the very early days, before the group level fix was implemented. I love them and find the rewards perpetually useful, but new fractals are exactly what they call for now.
Squall said:
Is there a greater background plot to Fractals? I don't even recall it anymore.
So when the Consortium were trying to open the Asura gate to Southsun Cove, they accidentally opened one to the Mists. The scientist Dessa set up an observatory in this spot as it apparently had high energy readings or something and realized they could collect chunks of reality from all of the past, present, and future of Tyria into "fractals of the mists." Now she is trying to stabilize all of them. You can get a lot from her dialogue printed on this page: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Dessa

Retro

So a lot of the effigies (but not all of them) seem to be located right at the zone transitions throughout the world. They have icons on the map, so they're easy to find, at least. I'm doing them on a lowbie alt to grab waypoints and keep travel costs down.

I can see a few Official Forum posts bitching that it takes too long to light the effigies (you have to dance in front of them for like, 8 seconds) and they need to change it so you just light them and run past because ohmygodI'vegottodoall50ofthemRIGHTNOW.

Lulz.

I don't really think you can call it "dolphin fractal" in good conscience. Plus being a dolphin is amazing and takes like 15 seconds. It's the stupid davillion HP jellyfish that makes that one tedious.

That's just what I've always called it, the specific Dolphin part is alright.

I feel like they'll probably skew the randomization aspect so that new Fractals occur more often and old ones less frequently. I hope that eventually, they have so many in the mix that getting one of the original fractals feels like a nice change of pace.

Yeah, the Living Story instance is short, but the reward is decent for the time invested (Karma and one gold) and it's not a bad bit of storyline at all. Those Aetherblade weapons had better be available skins and not just enemy-exclusive. I want that Turbine Shield for Professor Retro and that Rapier is pretty slick too.

Levyne

Banned
Apparently people are not getting the wings after their 8th achievement, just FYI.

Edit: I'm unsure if these people think they are counting Dragon Ball achievements or not, muddled info.

Some comments of the story instance being geared for level 80s also.

Taffer

Apparently people are not getting the wings after their 8th achievement, just FYI.

Edit: I'm unsure if these people think they are counting Dragon Ball achievements or not, muddled info.

Some comments of the story instance being geared for level 80s also.

Before I logged out just now Rottel mentioned he had 8 and the meter still had room for two more achievements (not including Dragon Ball), checked mine and it was the same.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's just what I've always called it, the specific Dolphin part is alright.
But sometimes it has no dolphins!!!!

Sad times :(

Psyched to do this story instance. I think I could really get behind this sort of "sub-release" thing they're trying out, where within a patch there are smaller additions that become available to progress the story and content a little at a time.
Before I logged out just now Rottel mentioned he had 8 and the meter still had room for two more achievements (not including Dragon Ball), checked mine and it was the same.
Sounds like a bug to meeee... Report it of course, and then I imagine:
1) They'll do a fix and anyone with 8+ gets mailed the wings
2) You'll get two further achievements to get to 10 anyway within the next two days and get them then.

Levyne

Banned
So it sounds like the 10 -> 8 fix was undone or not fully put in place somehow. NBD to me but I expect many to emphatically voice their collective wrath.

Retro

FYI, you can do any emote once you start dancing at an effigy to instantly gain credit, no need to wait for the whole thing to finish.

Also, GAF is really fragile these days.. sheeeeesh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom