• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Good thing no one knows who I actually am!

(I'm Kanik, lol)
Ursa do not besmirch Kanik's good name...I know who you are...temporary ban incoming!

Welcome to the big show Kos :p
Thank you Hawkian. Happy to be up here with the important people.

A canadian as an officer. What is the world coming to....:(
Racist!

there are more officers than mist warriors.

my rank is super exclusive and also more hip and cool.

enjoy your new officer position, you swagless serf.
I was a Mist Warrior just before I got promoted so I guess you can call me Officer Mist Warrior!

Congrats Kos! My best friend!
Love you boo!

Good thing no one knows who I actually am!

(I'm Kanik, lol)
Uh huh.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=65714726&postcount=18416

miwafWY.jpg

Edit: beaten like a lowly cog of the guild machine by Kos on Kos

Cels

I read dulfy's preview of the Aetherblade patch.

Among other things, there are new "caches" placed anywhere within existing JPs to encourage people to go do them.

One of the listed JPs is Obsidian Sanctum...oh boy. Hope they put that cache somewhere in the middle so it can't so easily be portal cheesed.

Ashodin

Guild Wars 2 comes to Electronic Sports League!

A few weeks ago ArenaNet announced a few new features that may be the beginning of E-sport in GW2! Are you interested in building the competitive Guild Wars 2 community on ESL? Read on!
To kick things off we are going to host a Test cup to check the interest of the community in GW2 cups hosted by the ESL.

So feel free spread the word and sign up for ESL´s very first Guild Wars 2 Cup! We are also searching for streamers and shoutcaster for the cup. Feel free to contact us!

x7PIK1N.gif

Retro

... I don't think that GIF means what you think it does... and it's way off considering we're getting a huge build variety / class balance update tomorrow.

Edit: Also, it implies GW2 doesn't measure up to the Manifesto, which I'd say it does.

Ashodin

... I don't think that GIF means what you think it does... and it's way off considering we're getting a huge build variety / class balance update tomorrow.

Edit: Also, it implies GW2 doesn't measure up to the Manifesto, which I'd say it does.

If it means a joke, then I meant it as such.

Proven

Warrior build possibly broken. Necro build probably buffed. Thief and Guardian builds slightly buffed.

For those that don't know, Furious was an interesting interesting trait because of the way it was implemented. See, when doing a burst skill you would gain zero adrenaline until its animation ended. This meant that a skill like main hand sword's Flurry, one of the only multi-hit burst skills in the game, just had you sit there just like Hundred Blades stacking conditions and nothing else. However, Furious got around that. If you did a critical hit, for any reason, at any time, you got +1 strike of adrenaline.

All together, this meant that I could combine sword with the other multi-hit burst skill, Combustive Shot, and create a build that allowed me to go from burst to burst to burst, while focusing on condition damage. It was a very fun trait interaction, and only worked with a narrow type of setup that happened to be one I wanted to use anyway.

I suppose that that's the main reason it got changed. It was a Grandmaster trait that no one else thought was good enough to take.

Anyway, I'm guessing that the trait interaction only worked before because it would give me +1 adrenaline on a critical hit, meaning 0 + 1 = I get something. But now it sounds like they're not making it +2 but rather *3, and 0 * 3 = I get nothing.

Trying other variations without Furious left me with a build that didn't do enough condition pressure. The bleed duration on Flurry is extremely short. So now if I want a condition pressure build I'm going to have to try Longbow-only or some kind of power/condi hybrid.

I'm starting to get really ticked off over the fact that condi damage builds for most classes look like they're all one way or another getting forced into being a hybrid build that focus on the top two trait lines. It took me a while to realize that the burning given to Necromancers isn't on their +Condi Damage trait line. I originally thought that the purpose of having +Condi Duration on the Power line was for stuff like cripple and weakness to allow classes to stay in melee better. But if you force condition builds to have to put a chunk of their points in the top two lines, they have to choose fewer traits for defense, sustain, and support. Which means that they have to go big or go home. Which means just another burst build, but with even less defense than what current burst builds have evolved to have in PvP.

But hey, at the very least the weakness change means that you don't only need crits to do damage with power, right? Right?

Doesn't change the fact that crits are an overpowering strategy, which is why the crit damage stat is capped in PvP as compared to WvW, and they still felt it was necessary to do this change to weakness.

/rant

edit: Just noticed this: The Minor Adept trait "Illusionists Celerity" has been made the Minor Grandmaster trait and the other Minor traits have been pushed down.

This was necessary. But it's a huge nerf.

Retro

edit: Just noticed this: The Minor Adept trait "Illusionists Celerity" has been made the Minor Grandmaster trait and the other Minor traits have been pushed down.

This was necessary. But it's a huge nerf.

It's been kind of mandatory for Mesmers since forever, we all knew it was coming. If the other minor traits go straight down, it means 5 points will give all shatters confusion. That's not bad, honestly, I can see people still dipping 5 points into Illusions for that (especially in WvW).

I'll be surprised if the Guardian's "Inspired Virtue" trait isn't pushed deeper at some point too, since that's sort of required as well.

Anno

Finally gender changed Cierra over to a dude, then renamed to Anno to better match everything else. Seems...weird, but I've been meaning to do it for some time now and the sale just sealed it.

Remfin

They really need to add some kind of guild group. Whether its through research or something you have to pay for like a "guild commander." Something to be more than a 5 man party but be guild only so its not a pub tag that all the puggers go to in wvw.

Can't stand the current limited commander setup.
Funnily enough, this is possible now (and officially sanctioned) with their APIs. Don't know if anyone has made such a program yet though.

I just loaded up the game and am downloading an update with 14,500 files. It's been many months, like last year since I last played. What should I check out first? lvl 80 Engineer, the small race that look like hamsters, forgot their name. I loved 1-80 in the game, hopefully there's some new stuff to try out now.

E: Just remembered I never finished the storyline, probably only like half-way through so I guess that's #1 on the list!

Levyne

Banned
Completing the story is a good goal but I wouldn't focus on that exclusively...because it's not the greatest. Mix in some dungeon runs, world events, fractals, pvp, wvw havocing etc. I dunno, I could see myself getting bored really quickly going from green marker to green marker.

If you are interested in the *current events*, right now the Dragon Bash festival is going on with some story bits that introduce some enemies that will actually be the focus of new stuff coming tomorrow. This chapter goes until the 9th

@Katoki nothin out of the ordinary, just CoE CoF and TA.

Oh if you would like a guild invite Heavy, just put down your name.numbers and someone can get you in.

If you are interested in the *current events*, right now the Dragon Bash festival is going on with some story bits that introduce some enemies that will actually be the focus of new stuff coming tomorrow. This chapter goes until the 9th
I'm in Lion's Arch checking that out as we speak, it's pretty cool.

So do you get anything cool if you do all the Dragon Bash achievements? and is it hard or fairly easy? Looks pretty easy to me. I just won 2 dragon ball games in like 10 mins and you need 20. That's probably the longest achievement. I see 2 treasure chests in the rewards for it but don't know what they do.

I have to go to bed, the festival will still be on tomorrow to do these tasks right, despite the "new stuff" coming tomorrow.

Retro

So do you get anything cool if you do all the Dragon Bash achievements? and is it hard or fairly easy? Looks pretty easy to me. I just won 2 dragon ball games in like 10 mins and you need 20. That's probably the longest achievement. I see 2 treasure chests in the rewards for it but don't know what they do.

I have to go to bed, the festival will still be on tomorrow to do these tasks right, despite the "new stuff" coming tomorrow.

The two Dragon Ball achievements don't count towards the two treasure chest ones, unfortunately.

One, you won't be able to do since it ran over a weekend. All it gave were some helms that, while cool, remove your facial hair. The other is a pair of holographic wings you wear on your back.

The achievements aren't too hard, a little grindy, but nothing you can't do over the space of a week or so.

Maledict

Well the insanely huge Mesmer nerf certainly makes our previous discussions interesting.

I think I'm definitely going to focus on another class now. The reason everyone took Illusionists Celerity is because phantasms and illusions are on extremely long cooldowns - you ended up taking both the weapon cooldowns ability and Illusionists Celerity to get -40% cooldowns just to make builds work in PvE.

When a single trait is taken by every single player of a class, I generally feel the response shouldn't be to nerf it but to look why. Mesmer cooldowns are ridiculously long for PvE, and this change will significantly hurt phantasm based builds to the point where they probably aren't PvE viable anymore. Leaving us with just shatter builds...

Yes, sometimes abilities are just too powerful and need nerfing. But sometimes abilities are just the baseline for the class and that's a completely different problem to tackle.

So.

My warrior's build is thoroughly screwed.

My engineer is slightly buffed down one trait line and slightly nerfed down another.

Edit - The warrior changes to Berserker’s Power and Heightened Focus hit my build. Which is annoying. I'll probably pick the buffed Heightened focus over Burst Mastery since I'd rather have constant damage I think when running with a Zerg. It's still a shitty choice. It's not clear what I replace the hole with but sharpened axes might be an option (since I currently have two adept traits in that line - run speed being big in WvWvW). I'll probably replace Beserker's Power with Dual-wielding. This will mean that I'll replace a sliding improvement from 3%-12% with a flat 5% when (dual-wielded) melee weapons are out. It's possible I'll swap my rifle for a longbow, since my single target ranged damage will be hit most...

Whether my engineer gets slightly nerfed or not down one trait line depends on whether you prefer Aegis or Retaliation. The more I think about it the less sure I am.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Stuck at an unbearable business workshop all day. Jealous of you folk. always funny to see the slighted reactions to class changes

Levyne

Banned
Got up this morning, built an omega golem, coordinated with euros, and took borlis pass garrison in 5 minutes.

http://www.the-coli.com/images/smilies/rejoice.png[IMG][/QUOTE]

[img]http://i.imgur.com/EWmof.gif
p0QHO.gif

Look forward to hearing/seeing the patch/dungeon impressions :)

While I am at work :(

Anno

Glad that my build won't really be tinkered with by this patch. Adding healing to the mace damage trait might lend me towards using that, though...

Proven

To be positive, I evaluated the trait changes in a vacuum. We don't know how they're rebalancing skills for this, so we've only seen one half of the balance changes. Mesmer clone generation skills have to be rebalanced. Warrior, Necro, and a couple others are definitely getting some skill changes here and there as well. I think that the spreading out of stun breakers will get into this patch too (and I hope that they get in like they were in the leaked doc, where many give you one second of stability as well as a stun breaker. This would mean you're rewarded for predicting/seeing a stun come at you, and not just letting it hit you and getting out of it). Reacting to something like a Bull's Charge coming at you with a Stomp would be hilarious.

In the meantime I'm just going to start making more builds where the trait stats and equipment stats aren't in sync. I hated doing it because it felt inefficient (which lead to a lot of precision + condition damage builds) but it looks like they really just want that. I'll reexamine my Guardian Radiant Scepter build and probably just drop the burning, as it seems more and more like burning was designed for Sword and Greatsword. Will probably try Staff and figure out some combination of Vulnerability and Might stacking.

Oh yeah, apparently Orb of Light can hit for decent damage by accident. Video NSFW, but about a minute long.

Levyne

Banned
Thinking of pulling the 15 points out of beastmastery and putting 5 more into Skirmishing for flanking damage (hello sword 3) and 10 into Nature Magic for Regen/Protection or Power bonus. Will have to see how terrible the pet becomes as a result.

wtzgU.gif

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Well the insanely huge Mesmer nerf certainly makes our previous discussions interesting.

I think I'm definitely going to focus on another class now. The reason everyone took Illusionists Celerity is because phantasms and illusions are on extremely long cooldowns - you ended up taking both the weapon cooldowns ability and Illusionists Celerity to get -40% cooldowns just to make builds work in PvE.

When a single trait is taken by every single player of a class, I generally feel the response shouldn't be to nerf it but to look why. Mesmer cooldowns are ridiculously long for PvE, and this change will significantly hurt phantasm based builds to the point where they probably aren't PvE viable anymore. Leaving us with just shatter builds...

Yes, sometimes abilities are just too powerful and need nerfing. But sometimes abilities are just the baseline for the class and that's a completely different problem to tackle.
I would like to believe that they're reducing cooldowns on the skills to compensate.

Otherwise, I'll probably get drunk, roll a female sylvari, hit /dance and go buy The Last of Us

Levyne

Banned
Heh, we were just talking about gifting the other day. Great news.

Someone buy me a name changer thing. And an axe. And 1000 keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom