• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Good job on Mission Fever tonight. I believe everyone but one person picked up all of their commendations, and we beat everything but the Bounty with plenty of time to spare. This was an especially good night, since this is the first time we've beaten the newest Guild Puzzle, Angvar's Trove
Awesome job guys! And thanks to the officers for hosting and leading us to victory. Really sorry I couldn't make it.

Been running around doing errands all day (my friend's 1-year-old Macbook Air just died out of the blue today, wtf?) and haven't logged in while at home for I think the longest period since launch. Feels weeeird. Hopefully tomorrow I can snag some quality time though. At this point I'm just hoping to get the chance to run the Aetherblade dungeon before it's gone!

At least Supercon was awesome. I saw a legit like 9-year-old Hit Girl complete with chain kusari-gama thingy.
Unless it was completed on a night I wasn't able to make it, the furthest I've seen us get is the last room, which was bugged.

Yep.
The first time we got it (another guild doing it simultaneously) about half of us made it to the end. Not sure if you were there for that or not actually

elazullizard

Neo Member
Awesome job guys! And thanks to the officers for hosting and leading us to victory. Really sorry I couldn't make it.

Been running around doing errands all day (my friend's 1-year-old Macbook Air just died out of the blue today, wtf?) and haven't logged in while at home for I think the longest period since launch. Feels weeeird. Hopefully tomorrow I can snag some quality time though. At this point I'm just hoping to get the chance to run the Aetherblade dungeon before it's gone!

At least Supercon was awesome. I saw a legit like 9-year-old Hit Girl complete with chain kusari-gama thingy.

The first time we got it (another guild doing it simultaneously) about half of us made it to the end. Not sure if you were there for that or not actually

I'll run it with you later this week if you so wish. Just let me know the time.

Retro

Yeah, now that you mention it, some of us have beat it before. I didn't, since I stayed behind to make sure GAFers got through and ended up trapped. The other guild just bum-rushed it and left a lot of people behind, so the few that did manage to finish sort of rode the other guild's coat tails.

So it was the first GAF-only run, then =p.

Cels

limited resources for guild management?

that is disappointing to hear. i predicted that surely they'd do something about last seen online and other character names before the 1 year anniversary, but it's looking more and more likely that nothing will be done.

guess that's their same reason for not improving the TP.

8) Anet loves to try out different things and look at the feedback of the community. Southsun had a easy dungeon that thaught the mechanics, and a harder one for the rewards. For the Aetherblade retreat, they wanted a certain level of difficulty, and achievements that played with this level of difficulty so hardcore players had something to do.
Now it all makes sense. :(

jersoc

You still trying with regular coffers?

not anymore, i finally got a ticket. i mean i'll probably open the ones i get from dailies/leveling mesmer, but i won't be buying anymore like i have been.

tomorrow i shall forge a new hammer.

edit:even Peck himself said I had bad luck :(
feels bad man.

Lunar15

Yeah, I hate to be a dick, but I got two tickets just off of opening boxes I got randomly off of drops.

Here's to better luck with the Bazaar!

Hopefully tomorrow I can snag some quality time though. At this point I'm just hoping to get the chance to run the Aetherblade dungeon before it's gone!

Same here! I've been meaning to sit down and set aside a couple of consecutive hours in GW2 to run it, but I keep having real life intrude :/. I don't even know if I'll be able to do so this evening.

Katoki

Survived SoS' onslaught on our EB keep tonight... three times over I think it was? We managed to keep red keep and Veloka so when they finally let up, we could re-capture the stuff on our end within 5 minutes or so. Long two hours but there was much slaughter.

I think the biggest highlight was when a guy from the SBI borderland hopped over into our channel to tell us that the garrison was lost. He said that whatever SoS was there should now be combining with the masses we fought prior to it, all with radio static-like noise which made it feel like the uncertainty people have waiting for information or for something to happen during a natural disaster because we had a calm since SoS had let up.

Amneisac

Amnesiac.6457

I'd like to join the guild, do I need to do anything special? I'm going to be out for a bit, but if I leave myself logged in can I be added or will I need to be around to accept the invite?

Ceres

Banned
Amnesiac.6457

I'd like to join the guild, do I need to do anything special? I'm going to be out for a bit, but if I leave myself logged in can I be added or will I need to be around to accept the invite?
You don't have tk be logged in to get an invite. But you will need to accept it and choose to represent when you play next.

Amneisac

You don't have tk be logged in to get an invite. But you will need to accept it and choose to represent when you play next.

Cool, thanks. Well I'll be on and playing for a bit if anyone can send me an invite. Do I need to change servers or does that matter?

Agkel

I crashed yesterday after making a ranger, had a long day and not even my excitement could keep me up. I started playing now and in game. If I could get an invite pls? Name same as my tag

edit: Is there an option that I can enable that will allow my character to move and then perform an action with right click. For example, click on something that's lootable but it's too far away, I want my character to walk to it then loot it

SirKhalid

Finally done with the cache. I was super annoyed with mad cache, the bug that make you fall another time after they teleport you is annoying as hell. I was like 25s teleporting to the wp and going back up. I still need to do AR for the achievement.

I crashed yesterday after making a ranger, had a long day and not even my excitement could keep me up. I started playing now and in game. If I could get an invite pls? Name same as my tag

You need to post your name with your numbers. Name.XXX

hythloday

Got you! Welcome!

And you too! Invite will be waiting in the guild window the next time you log in.

Is there an option that I can enable that will allow my character to move and then perform an action with right click. For example, click on something that's lootable but it's too far away, I want my character to walk to it then loot it
If you have the AoE loot option checked in the options window (F11), then you can hit F to loot from far away. There is also a "right click to perform functions" checkbox. If you want to literally walk up to the loot itself before picking it up, you can simply left-click on the actual prompt itself that shows up 5 o'clock to your character to perform this function. Work for any function.

Eric WK

Finally reached 80 and I'm sort of feeling overwhelmed. I had enough Laurels built up to buy my ascended amulet and should have enough Badges of Honor + Laurels to buy a ring in ~10 days or so. I TPed some green Knight's gear, but I'm not sure whether to craft the exotics or what.

I'm also terrible confused about what to do with all the gear I get... what to salvage for ectos, what to TP, what to throw in the mystic forge, what to vendor, etc. Is there a go-to guide for this?

Trey

Finally reached 80 and I'm sort of feeling overwhelmed. I had enough Laurels built up to buy my ascended amulet and should have enough Badges of Honor + Laurels to buy a ring in ~10 days or so. I TPed some green Knight's gear, but I'm not sure whether to craft the exotics or what.

I'm also terrible confused about what to do with all the gear I get... what to salvage for ectos, what to TP, what to throw in the mystic forge, what to vendor, etc. Is there a go-to guide for this?

Salvage rares over level 60 (I believe 60 is the min lvl for ectos), check TP for prices on dropped exotics or wear them, vendor green and blues, salvage whites (honestly I just sell these as well). Only mystic forge when you know for sure what you're trying to get. Crafting exotics is fine if you are 400 in the required crafting disciplines. Can get pricey though (doubly so if you aren't already 400) - running dungeons to get the badges for dungeon armor is probably your best bet.

hey guys I want to try and Elementalist as an alt, but everything I am reading says they are broken?

is this true or just hyperbole?

thanks guys

Trey

Broken how so?

They are very functional in PvE but have taken something of a hit in the PvP metagame with the rise of condition builds and the removal of stun-breakers on a good number of elementalist BnB cantrips. Otherwise they function fine, outside of some funky hit-boxes on certain spells.

well the official forum is a mess...

I'll stop you right here. They are a mess. You did right by seeking information from the satellite communities - I answered you in my edit and also suggest you seek out opinions on GW2guru, GW2reddit and server forums. Namely Stormbluff Isle's.

Broken how so?

well the official forum is a mess of people talking about leaving the game for other mmo's

I don't trust them at all so I came here. Did they just get hit with a nerf or something?

Broken how so?

They are very functional in PvE but have taken something of a hit in the PvP metagame with the rise of condition builds and the removal of stun-breakers on a good number of elementalist BnB cantrips. Otherwise they function fine, outside of some funky hit-boxes on certain spells.

I'll stop you right here. They are a mess. You did right by seeking information from the satellite communities - I answered you in my edit and also suggest you seek out opinions on GW2guru, GW2reddit and server forums. Namely Stormbluff Isle's.

hey thanks for all the help man.

Levyne

Banned
I'm pretty sure that other than Necromancers, you could find an "I quit" thread in each of the professions forums after the last patch.

Sophia

Elementalists are a hit and miss. Some people love them because they have so many abilities. I personally hate them and actually rerolled to Guardian because I was fed up with how the class played. That said, they're hardly underpowered or anything. A well played Elementalist is great in PvE and World vs World.

It's one of those things you just have to try for yourself. If it clicks by level 10, keep at it.

hey guys I want to try and Elementalist as an alt, but everything I am reading says they are broken?

is this true or just hyperbole?

thanks guys

they aren't really broken. Like sophia posted a well played ele is great. They don't offer as much in pve compared to a warrior/guardian in terms of dps, but d/d ele's in pvp is one of the hardest classes to kill. People could still be mad about fighting d/d ele's and that's why people think they're broken. Or do you mean the class is broken that it can't be played properly?

haikira

Just grabbed this and was wondering if someone would be so kind, as to list what they thought the easier and harder classes were? I've been messing around with an engineer, as I liked the idea of the class, but was beginning to wonder if they're a more difficult class to play. I think the friend I'll be playing a lot with, is a playing a guardian, if that helps.

Also. Game seems awesome, from the little I've played.

Sophia

Just grabbed this and was wondering if someone would be so kind, as to list what they thought the easier and harder classes were? I've been messing around with an engineer, as I liked the idea of the class, but was beginning to wonder if they're a more difficult class to play. I think the friend I'll be playing a lot with, is a playing a guardian, if that helps.

In terms of difficulty. Guardian and Thief are of the easier to play classes, where as Elementalist, Engineer, and Mesmer are on the harder end.

Guardian is training wheels mode in PvE. You can't die. The profession's original name was "God" but Anet thought it would be too controversial. Engineer definitely requires more finesse to stay alive against multiple mobs.

Please don't nerf Altruistic Healing/Pure of Voice. Please.

Retro

All of the professions in this game are hit-or-miss, moreso than any MMO I've played. ArenaNet did a decent job of making each profession play and feel uniquely.

My warrior feels like a brawler; all of his attacks hit hard and hit fast but put him squarely into the thick of things (except, of course, the longbow and rifle).

My Guardian feels similar, but whereas I'm rolling everywhere on my Warrior, my Guardian just reaches into a big bag of tricks and blinds, blocks or otherwise avoids attacks. Both are in the thick of things, but I feel like I hit harder on my warrior, but trade that off with a lot more evasion.

My Thief feels like Batman. Watch the target for a second, shadowstep in, stealth, backstab, roll for initiative, dagger throw, Heartseaker, Death Blossom over their heads. Pair it with all the straight up ridiculously evasive skills on a second weapon set? Forget it. I can sit in the middle of a crowd on my warrior and guardian, but my thief feels like she dances through them.

My Engineer feels like he has a bag of tricks at his disposal. Mines, turrets, tools out the ass. Shoot > blunderbuss > Overcharged shot > net shot feels satisfying, throw a landmine to knock them back when they get close and a flamethrower into the mix and it just feels ridiculously playful and varied.

The other professions, I haven't spent enough time with, but enough to know they feel very differently from the others I've already played.

That's why, when people start playing, if it doesn't click with them immediately it's important to suggest they try a different profession. If I had started with an ele or necromancer, I wouldn't have fallen in love with the game quickly either. Not that they're bad, they're just not my cup of tea. Likewise, my brother started with a necro and hated it, but loves his ele. My wife started off with a Ranger, then Ele, then got a Mesmer to 80, a Guardian to 80, and promptly fell in love with a thief.

Profession is a very personal thing in GW2, finding one that clicks with you is essential.

In terms of difficulty. Guardian and Thief are of the easier to play classes, where as Elementalist, Engineer, and Mesmer are on the harder end.

Thief can be a little too squishy until you learn to dodge, predict and evade attacks. Starting off as a thief can be a little rough. I agree with Guardian, but I would add Ranger and Warrior to the list of good starting professions as well.

Like I said though, once you get a feel for the game's combat and demands, switching over to any other class is much easier and finding the one that 'clicks' is important. I'll main my Warrior forever, probably, but I'll be damned if switching to my Thief, Engie or Guardian doesn't scratch a few itches my main doesn't.

haikira

Guardian is training wheels mode in PvE. You can't die. The profession's original name was "God" but Anet thought it would be too controversial. Engineer definitely requires more finesse to stay alive against multiple mobs.

Please don't nerf Altruistic Healing/Pure of Voice. Please.

Cheers guys.

Retro

Hmmm I think that was the server I was on. Is there anyway someone can check to see if I'm still in the guild? I'm only @ 1% with the client download lol. I don't remember but can I play the game before it's been completely downloaded like WoW?

What is your username.####, or a character name? I can check if you're still in the guild, though if it's been a while since you played, chances are you were culled. As usual, it's nothing personal, we just have a lot of new or returning people we have to make space for on a regular basis. I'll add you as soon as you post either of those names.

You will have to wait until it's downloaded to play though. That's one thing I miss from my brief affairs with GW1, but something I understand just isn't feasible for GW2.

Sophia

Thief can be a little too squishy until you learn to dodge, predict and evade attacks. Starting off as a thief can be a little rough. I agree with Guardian, but I would add Ranger and Warrior to the list of good starting professions as well.

Like I said though, once you get a feel for the game's combat and demands, switching over to any other class is much easier and finding the one that 'clicks' is important. I'll main my Warrior forever, probably, but I'll be damned if switching to my Thief, Engie or Guardian doesn't scratch a few itches my main doesn't.

Thief is definitely a lot easier played with ranged weapons for beginners, at least until you get movement down.

What is your username.####, or a character name? I can check if you're still in the guild, though if it's been a while since you played, chances are you were culled. As usual, it's nothing personal, we just have a lot of new or returning people we have to make space for on a regular basis. I'll add you as soon as you post either of those names.

You will have to wait until it's downloaded to play though. That's one thing I miss from my brief affairs with GW1, but something I understand just isn't feasible for GW2.

fluffydelusions.6291

Well 4% now lol

Retro

Thief is definitely a lot easier played with ranged weapons for beginners, at least until you get movement down.

Yep. Dual Pistols is fun, but Shortbow feels nice and smooth. Good thing the field and blast finisher are so useful in dungeons, I'd hate to give up that bouncing auto-attack and Disabling shot (which really should be called "Evasive Shot" since that's the real draw).

fluffydelusions.6291

Invite sent, it'll be waiting for you when everything is downloaded and ready to go.

Yep. Dual Pistols is fun, but Shortbow feels nice and smooth. Good thing the field and blast finisher are so useful in dungeons, I'd hate to give up that bouncing auto-attack and Disabling shot (which really should be called "Evasive Shot" since that's the real draw).

Invite sent, it'll be waiting for you when everything is downloaded and ready to go.

Thanks!

Retro

3uZsW.gif

We finally captured that tower in the red Borderlands, huh?

Anno

We finally captured that tower in the red Borderlands, huh?

Actually no. We trebbed down the wall and failed on like 5 pushes to take the tower. Eventually they trebbed down the wall at Garrison (which we owned) and pushed in. As the CD zerg was running through our breached wall I went mutiny and ran out towards the tower. Dueled down a ranger on the way, then pushed in using every block/invuln skill a guard has to make it to the POI with three people beating on me. Before going down I knocked one of them off the ledge at least. It was as epic as I could expect I suppose.

Hey guys, getting back into Guild Wars 2. I played a bit when it first came out and got to level 30, but got distracted by college work. I just got back into the Gaf guild earlier today. If any of you see Infernock online that's me!

What kind of big changes have I missed out on since launch?

Retro

Actually no. We trebbed down the wall and failed on like 5 pushes to take the tower. Eventually they trebbed down the wall at Garrison (which we owned) and pushed in. As the CD zerg was running through our breached wall I went mutiny and ran out towards the tower. Dueled down a ranger on the way, then pushed in using every block/invuln skill a guard has to make it to the POI with three people beating on me. Before going down I knocked one of them off the ledge at least. It was as epic as I could expect I suppose.

Sounds like you've got a hell of a better story on your World Completion than "We finally got the tower I needed" then. Either way, congratz.

What kind of big changes have I missed out on since launch?

.... a lot.

Big things that you can still enjoy are the Fractals of the Mist dungeon, the WvW Progression system and culling fix, class balances in the last update and the addition and subsequent improvement of Southsun Cove. A lot of the other stuff was holiday / festival related or temporary content.

Mxrz

I can't decide on a race for thief. There are too many humans thieves around. So that's out. Norn look pretty neat, but their female voice is a little annoying. Asura are nice, but I believe -all- of their armors are trench coats. Bleh. Sylvari and Charr are good too, but I already have one of each.

WvW was sort of fun yesterday. My (other) guild is pondering pooling for a commander tag simply for borderland defense. Commanders don't seem to hang around long during our weekly wvw time. But we've seen a few too many pissing contests between commanders in map chat, too. Not sure if any of us really want to step into that.

If I had started with an ele or necromancer, I wouldn't have fallen in love with the game quickly either. Not that they're bad, they're just not my cup of tea. Likewise, my brother started with a necro and hated it, but loves his ele.

I'm beginning to suspect it's not that the necro is the only class that doesn't relly click with me, but that it's actually the weaker class in terms of gameplay overall. I've seen very little "I love my nNecro" posts, certainly less than for other classes.

For me, the problem is that a class based around conditions is something I've seen and played too much already, likewise for pets. In the insane buffet of wildly varied, satisfying mechanics that are the other seven classes (well, warrior might not be particularly innovative but damn is it satisfying to bash stuff with them), the necros simply don't stand out at all.

Anyone who loves this class wants to share what do they find outstanding about it? As an obsessive-compulsive and perfectionist, it kind of bothers me that I love only 7 of the 8 classes.

I'm beginning to suspect it's not that the necro is the only class that doesn't relly click with me, but that it's actually the weaker class in terms of gameplay overall. I've seen very little "I love my nNecro" posts, certainly less than for other classes.
Anyone who loves this class wants to share what do they find outstanding about it? As an obsessive-compulsive and perfectionist, it kind of bothers me that I love only 7 of the 8 classes.

1. Corruption utilities + Dagger 4 skill.
2. Golem elite passive + Sceptor 2 + Focus 5 = That vet/champion is perma-crippled
Edit: 3. The golem elite knockdown is the best DPS I've seen against objects. Turned those stupid sonic transmitters into child's play.

I literally jog in a little circle watching the numbers tick away. The way I'm torturing that vet to its doom is apropos for a necromancer.

nataku

I wish I could figure out why I can't play this game any more. I log in to do the Sky Pirates achievements but just... can't. I look at them and just don't care, even though I know it's going to bug me to see the empty list once they're gone.

jersoc

guardian is a great solo class. lots of heals and boons that reduce damage. fun in dungeons too with hammer since you can buff players which in turns can heal you with the right traits

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom