• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

LkPr

Wait, this is the first I'm reading about having a choice between a weapon skin and the other rewards. I was under the impression the choice of a skin is in addition to the boosts/rewards for that tier.

As are we all.. I believe Trey's information is incorrect but I cannot personally confirm/deny that, just my assumption

Trey

Wait, this is the first I'm reading about having a choice between a weapon skin and the other rewards. I was under the impression the choice of a skin is in addition to the boosts/rewards for that tier.

I read it wrong.

are you sure about this? The way I understood it was that you get ALL the rewards for a specific tier.

so for 1000 Achievement Points you get ALL of the following:

- 1 Gold
- 2 Laurels
- 1% Account wide Gold Find
- (pick ONE) Choice of five Zenith weapon skins (longbow, shortbow, hammer, staff, greatsword)

I agree with your understanding of it. The only choice you need to make is on the Thousand chests (1000,2000,3000, etc..) and that's only a choice as to what skin you want to unlock at that time.

So we get the gold, laurel, karma increase on Tuesday; weapon skins, gold, laurels and gold find wednesday, etc.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
huh, just logged in after some time

jDzvGo2RvKK1a.png

That's kinda nice :)

That, or, you know, it was well after midnight on a Sunday Night for the majority of players when that was posted, closer to the time folks on the East Coast wake up. But no, it's the "state of the game."
JUWnj.gif

You're keeping tabs on when I'm playing? As the times I've played it's been dead. Calm down, Retro, your customer service badge is showing.
JUWnj.gif

Lunar15

I do have one slight problem with the new achievement setup:

While it makes a TON of practical sense in terms of giving players realistic long term goals and ways to get excellent material, it's absolutely devastating from a lore point of view, because it's completely separate from the world.

Nothing reminds you you're in a game like getting achievements. And at the very least, the Hall of Monuments had a lore angle to it, despite it being much the same concept.

What I would love is for them to roll something similar to the hall of monuments into this, such as having to go to a specific place to get your rewards. Have it be so that you're being rewarded by something race specific, like your Gods or your Asuran academy or something. I dunno, just SOMETHING to make it feel like a part of the world. This way they can also tie it to your introduction when starting a new character, giving new players guidance to the system. like "Go forth and make our race proud by achieving great things!"

I dunno, it's small stuff like that matters in video games.

Ah that's no worry. I would never ask for a transfer fund. My plan is to pick up where I am on Gandara and make a decision after pay day on whether to transfer based on how active my friends seem to be. Cheers tho. GAF is good!

A few from the EU GAF Guild joined 'Stormcallers', which is an active and friendly enough guild. Could always give them a shout if you weren't too interested in transferring.

Katoki

Hooray for being an achievement chaser!

However I have yet to get the "Faster Than Light" achievement done and the bar-filler in me is really disappointed.

Retro

I hope they continue to move magic find over to an account bonus from achievements, and eventually phase it out of gear completely. Should have never been on gear to begin with, IMO.

Things like XP/Gold/Karma/Magic boost find should all be tied to achievements, and account based. Food is ok too.

I'm thinking that's what they're starting towards; you can get something like 10% magic find just getting 5000 points, which seems to be around average for people who've been playing since launch.

I wouldn't be surprised if they start putting in more items that give you a permanent account-wide magic find boost, like the rewards for finishing Flame and Frost (Karma boost) and Aetherblade (+5 Skill Points).

I definitely agree that MF should never have been on gear.

Can I get an invite to the guild? I was in it once, around launch, but I got kicked out because I didn't have much time to play with school stuff to do. That's fixed now since it's summer, and I have nothing better to do. Also, I'm level 32 (still, ugh) and I have no clue what to do really since I haven't been on in so long. Name's Derezzer in-game.

Invite sent, welcome to GAFGuild. You were likely culled at some point since we occasionally have to make room in the guild for more members and that means cleaning out those who haven't been active in a while. It's nothing personal, and anyone dropped is welcome back at any time. Just one of the problems associated with a large guild, that's all.

Semi-off topic: We've invited more new and returning members this last week than we have in a long time, I think maybe even more than when SAB went live. Crazy.

It's smart of them to make old event "trash" lead to new event treasure. Also decent of them to give T1 mat economy a shot in the arm.

Also, has dulfy.net always been this amazing? There's a comprehensive - probably definitive - guide to the patch and it's not even out yet.

It's not just Tier 1 materials, it's anything that's flooded the market. Silk is Tier 5, but you need 250 of that for a box, compared with 45 linen, 35 cotton etc. I would bet their economist sat down, looked at things that were out of sync in terms of price and adjusted the exchange rate to retool the economy.

As for Dulfy... I like that ArenaNet goes out of their way to keep content under wraps until it becomes available. I like logging in and having a bunch of crazy new things to do, figure out and discuss in Guild Chat. My problem with Dulfy is that doesn't just give a preview like the rest of the press does; she flat out analyzes, documents and breaks content down into a series of tasks to check off.

Using Dulfy to go through content is like playing a game with the Strategy Guide in your lap. And that's just not my idea of fun. You might as well just skip playing the game entirely and just read her guides.

huh, just logged in after some time

That's kinda nice :)

Yeah, it was a nice surprise to get the Dragon minis for free; hopefully they've got something planned for the anniversary as well. A lot of people will be getting birthday presents on their characters... I will end up waiting several months since I nuked so many characters. I don't think I have *ANY* from launch.

Nothing reminds you you're in a game like getting achievements. And at the very least, the Hall of Monuments had a lore angle to it, despite it being much the same concept.

What I would love is for them to roll something similar to the hall of monuments into this, such as having to go to a specific place to get your rewards.

I would love that as well. I get that achievement hunting is simply one gameplay style that some people enjoy and others don't kind (I'm kind of lukewarm on it), but the fact that it's so intrusive and sits there like a checklist of things to do is a major turn off. I don't know how else they could handle it other than an option to hide messages (or at least make them less in-your-face).

Definitely would love to have a physical location to go to instead of a checklist, but then people would probably complain that they have to travel there every time they want to check their progress.

One of the necessary evils of modern day gaming, I suppose.

nataku

I agree achievements need to be less gamey. They should treat it as a sort of journal of your character's progress through the world. Write things in first person in there, like they do with the personal story mission summaries (Hero panel > My Story tab).

Throw some lore in there about each entry when you click on each achievement and the entire system gets much more immersive.

Pop ups should then be changed to be written in first person, too.

Rewards should be collected from your home instance, some random lore related NPC in there. Or just through the mail system with a few sentences of story written in. They do a nice job with the LS mail, so they have the idea already.

Retro

I agree achievements need to be less gamey. They should treat it as a sort of journal of your character's progress through the world. Write things in first person in there, like they do with the personal story mission summaries (Hero panel > My Story tab).

Throw some lore in there about each entry when you click on each achievement and the entire system gets much more immersive.

Pop ups should then be changed to be written in first person, too.

Rewards should be collected from your home instance, some random lore related NPC in there.

I actually REALLY like the idea of an in-game journal. Maybe a little tab of paper pops up in the corner and the notice is 'hand written' in?

Also, I still like your idea of the Durmand Priory handling that sort of thing though.

Levyne

Banned
Less achievements requiring such boring grinds. Yeah, it was very optional before but now there is tangible rewards for gritting your teeth and grinding those things out. Squint and they almost look like dreaded green exclamation mark quests.

I'm talking pinata bashing and such.

Lunar15

II would love that as well. I get that achievement hunting is simply one gameplay style that some people enjoy and others don't kind (I'm kind of lukewarm on it), but the fact that it's so intrusive and sits there like a checklist of things to do is a major turn off. I don't know how else they could handle it other than an option to hide messages (or at least make them less in-your-face).

Definitely would love to have a physical location to go to instead of a checklist, but then people would probably complain that they have to travel there every time they want to check their progress.

One of the necessary evils of modern day gaming, I suppose.

You can keep the UI for achievements, but tie actually GETTING the rewards to a physical location. Since they did this exact thing for the Hall of Monuments, I'm pretty surprised they didn't think to include this here.

It's sad to me because the concept of tying rewards to a ton of varied achievements that actively incentivise trying out a wide variety of activities is a fantastic idea. It's just incredibly boring and is actually somewhat insulting to all the art they poured into the game's world and story.

Look, I can even come up with the relatively simple ideas for Anet:

Account Based Rewards: Captain's Council Honors - Set up in the brand new Lion's Arch Lighthouse, you are honored for your reputation amongst the Captain's Council, built by accomplishing great feats in exploring Tyria. You are justly rewarded for contributing so much to the world.

And, if you wanted to have character specific achievements, you could tie them to race:

Norn's Skaald: Your acts have gained you a Skaald willing to write an epic song about your life's journey. Every tier of points is a new song, and each new song gives you both honor and rewards in the halls of Hoelbrak.

The Sylvari Dream: Your experiences in Tyria are constantly relaying new information to the Dream, which greatly benefits all Sylvari. As such, the Pale Tree rewards you for your bravery and enthusiasm.

The Blessing of the Human Gods: While the Gods may have gone silent, they've seen it fit to reward you for your valiant efforts to spread their majesty across Tyria.

Ranks of the Charr: Your accomplishments bring fame and glory to your Warband, who honor you with new ranks that come with all types of perks.

Asuran Class Honors: Each tier of achievements publishes a new report to your respective School, who is delighted to brag about your findings to the other schools. Because you've made them look so smart, they reward your intellect and ingenuity.

Boom, there. Do it. At the lowest level of execution, this is one NPC and a few lines of dialogue.

LkPr

From the official forums (comment posted by Paul Belz):

Hey there Jabberwock!
I’d like to clarify this for you and everyone else: Once you have unlocked the quartz node, it will unlock the node for all your characters, though the node can only be mined once per day per account.
Additionally, the node will appear in all home instances (again it is the same node so only once per day).
This means you can log onto any character you want, go to any home instance you want, and mine your node.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/bazaar/Problem-with-Home-Instance-Quartz/first#post2371821

Ashodin

From the official forums (comment posted by Paul Belz):

Hey there Jabberwock!
I’d like to clarify this for you and everyone else: Once you have unlocked the quartz node, it will unlock the node for all your characters, though the node can only be mined once per day per account.
Additionally, the node will appear in all home instances (again it is the same node so only once per day).
This means you can log onto any character you want, go to any home instance you want, and mine your node.

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/livingworld/bazaar/Problem-with-Home-Instance-Quartz/first#post2371821

So it's still only once per day per account. You just get to pick which character.

birdchili

I get that achievement hunting is simply one gameplay style that some people enjoy and others don't kind (I'm kind of lukewarm on it), but the fact that it's so intrusive and sits there like a checklist of things to do is a major turn off. I don't know how else they could handle it other than an option to hide messages (or at least make them less in-your-face).

i've been a long-time achievement hater, and have come around somewhat on gw2's "dailies" as a way to give a bit of structure to my ongoing murderous heroic adventures; but i've got the fear a bit for this change: even running around LA launching fireworks made me feel dirty, and the pinatas are *horrible* (why can't i smash these with an attack, at least).

making optimal rewards require non-fun pursuits is going to incentivize certain people to start having less fun in your game.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
i've been a long-time achievement hater, and have come around somewhat on gw2's "dailies" as a way to give a bit of structure to my ongoing murderous heroic adventures; but i've got the fear a bit for this change: even running around LA launching fireworks made me feel dirty, and the pinatas are *horrible* (why can't i smash these with an attack, at least).

making optimal rewards require non-fun pursuits is going to incentivize certain people to start having less fun in your game.
I just pretty much ignored that stuff entirely, just smashing things as I ran by or launching fireworks when they popped out of coffers. I never went out of my way to do them; I don't think I have it in me to do so.

Just the overarching concept of incentivizing having less fun in your game is so foreign, bewildering and incompatible with me that I can't even parse it. Granted I gather and wholeheartedly understand I am not one of the "certain people" you have described.

I have noted that I belong to a rather small (or at least traditionally quiet) slice of the gamer community that requires nothing more than an enjoyable experience to fuel my desire to continue play. Having fun is the incentive for me, and all the incentive I need: I'll do the things that are fun for me, and not do the things that are not. All the "stuff you get" is the reward for continued play, and this is just more of that. I can't think of a single problem I have with the system as apparently being delivered. They aren't telling you what to do, they're rewarding you for doing those things. Though again, I fully comprehend that viewing things from this perspective is simply not possible for everyone who picks up GW2.

Yup, but it'll be nice to park a character there just to mine quartz. Just need to find which home instance is closest to a bank.
Pfft. EVERYTHING in Rata Sum is a double-click away from a bank.

birdchili

I just pretty much ignored that stuff entirely, just smashing things as I ran by or launching fireworks when they popped out of coffers. I never went out of my way to do them; I don't think I have it in me to do so.

yeah... that's how i'll continue to handle it (i do have a love for making the numbers go up, however:) it still annoys me a bit, particularly given how horrid some of the achievements are (i believe you get one for drinking 10,000 alcoholic drinks (srsly??)).

re: quartz
i've just read a bit here... this is a new resource that you can only mine in your home instance? ...the place i never go because it's boring and there's nothing to do there? they're adding a node i can click "f" on and watch a mining animation? this is going to incentivize me to visit?? (i hope i'm missing something here...)

I'd say you wouldn't even have to add anything to the game world to make them work hall of monuments style. You have a home instance that would work well, it's just not really being used much.

It's a start, I believe. Future plans may include customization of the home instance, or it changing based on your achievements.

I have noted that I belong to a rather small (or at least traditionally quiet) slice of the gamer community that requires nothing more than an enjoyable experience to fuel my desire to continue play. Having fun is the incentive for me, and all the incentive I need: I'll do the things that are fun for me, and not do the things that are not.

I'm with you brother.

Seems like everyone has air ships in Tyria. Why can't we use them to go to Cantha?

There is an angry dragon between them and it, in the form of old Z. I take it he doesn't like many people flying over his area, given you can see him fighting stuff above orr.

I imagine most of their airfleet is focused on Orr and the attack there.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
And even before then, the charr starter area has only 1 chest event according to gw2stuff and I've never heard anyone actually call it out that its up.
I missed this but bwahhhhh?! Plains of Ashford is, so far as I know, completely lacking any bonus chest events (uniquely among the starters). Which sucks, too, cause it's a great zone, full of history.

Retro

i've just read a bit here... this is a new resource that you can only mine in your home instance? ...the place i never go because it's boring and there's nothing to do there? they're adding a node i can click "f" on and watch a mining animation? this is going to incentivize me to visit?? (i hope i'm missing something here...)

I don't think it's meant as an incentive, more likely it's the one place that's instanced in the game that players have unrestricted access to on just about any character. I'm hoping this is the start of them paying more attention to that part of the game, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't.

Talaysen

Got the game last week and It's pretty fun. Been playing with some friends on a different server, but I'd like to join the GAF guild too if that's alright. Talaysen.5621

I don't think it's meant as an incentive, more likely it's the one place that's instanced in the game that players have unrestricted access to on just about any character. I'm hoping this is the start of them paying more attention to that part of the game, but I have a sneaking suspicion they won't.

If it sticks around after the event, it's also one heck of an incentive for crafters to get one. The nodes spawn in the new zone as well, but without your personal one, you'd be forced to buy any off the TP once the event ends. That could drive up the cost of future gear of this type.

Jira

yeah... that's how i'll continue to handle it (i do have a love for making the numbers go up, however:) it still annoys me a bit, particularly given how horrid some of the achievements are (i believe you get one for drinking 10,000 alcoholic drinks (srsly??)).

Yes and no. During the month of July you'll be able to obtain Quartz through many different avenues including the node in your instance. Once the first August patch comes out you will only be able to get Quartz from that instance node. The reason they're putting it in there is so that when the other ways to obtain Quartz are gone, you can still obtain it without having to pay a ton of money on the TP to get the new stat type.

There is an angry dragon between them and it, in the form of old Z. I take it he doesn't like many people flying over his area, given you can see him fighting stuff above orr.

I imagine most of their airfleet is focused on Orr and the attack there.

Zhaitan got taken care of many a month ago.

Looks like ill have 12 days of achievement rewards to collect.

Cels

this patch looks like it's going to be the best one in a while. can't wait to login tomorrow. if people on SBI are up late (like 3am-4am server) i'll probably do obsidian sanctum JP on mesmer and port people

Retro

This guy.... this guy gets it.

this patch looks like it's going to be the best one in a while. can't wait to login tomorrow. if people on SBI are up late (like 3am-4am server) i'll probably do obsidian sanctum JP on mesmer and port people

3am-4am tonight, or after the patch? My brother's been trying to get the Aetherblade Cache for a while and since he works nights he almost always runs into SoS squatting in there. If you'll be on around that time, I'll let him know to try again tonight.

So are the acheivement chests like the wvw chests? Do I have to get more acheivements to unlock chests that I already earned?

edit: those zenith weapons look ballin

Jira

So are the acheivement chests like the wvw chests? Do I have to get more acheivements to unlock chests that I already earned?

edit: those zenith weapons look ballin

They're retroactive so you'll get credit for your current points and then more going forward.

I've been playing this game for the longest but never got into the GAF guild, and din't even know their was one until now. Are the officers in the OP still available to take whispers for an invite?

Jira

I've been playing this game for the longest but never got into the GAF guild, and din't even know their was one until now. Are the officers in the OP still available to take whispers for an invite?

Send me a tell, my name is Gojira. Unless you've already been invited of course.

LkPr

WeltallZero/Hawkian - I just downloaded the Start.bat file for the game pad setup and when I run it I get an error: "Windows cannot find 'Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.exe". Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

Any suggestions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom