• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jira

WeltallZero/Hawkian - I just downloaded the Start.bat file for the game pad setup and when I run it I get an error: "Windows cannot find 'Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.exe". Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

Any suggestions?

I've never used a controller but if I had to guess do you have all of the controller files in the GW2 directory?

Ghost23

I haven't played since February. Are there any new armor sets or daggers? I played elementalist.

EDIT: And man, I need a refresher on how to play this game. I got to 80 using a boon elementalist build, but that is pretty much all I remember.

Jira

I haven't played since February. Are there any new armor sets or daggers? I played elementalist.

EDIT: And man, I need a refresher on how to play this game. I got to 80 using a boon elementalist build, but that is pretty much all I remember.

There's 3 new sets of armor (helm/gloves/shoulders) and a whole new set of weapon skins coming tomorrow.

Ghost23

There's 3 new sets of armor (helm/gloves/shoulders) and a whole new set of weapon skins coming tomorrow.

Sounds awesome! Has much changed for the elementalist? I was just starting to do well with the element changing.

Also, I hope I wasn't kicked out of GAF guild for being afk too long. I'll have to send another invite if so.

Retro

Also, I hope I wasn't kicked out of GAF guild for being afk too long. I'll have to send another invite if so.

Chances are pretty good, if you haven't played since January. Post your username.#### or a character name and you'll be back in ASAP.

It's nothing personal, we're just working with a 500 member cap and a lot of GAFers, friends of GAFers and the occasional, rare person we bump into and think is cool (like the level 7 guy who never played an MMO before and stuck with us through the Langmar Estate like a champ). We've gotta make room somehow and that unfortunately means we have to drop players who aren't active every so often.

Edit: Top of the page... and 499 posts to go until OT3. I better come up with a thread title fast.

Ghost23

Chances are pretty good, if you haven't played since January. Post your username.#### or a character name and you'll be back in ASAP.

It's nothing personal, we're just working with a 500 member cap and a lot of GAFers, friends of GAFers and the occasional, rare person we bump into and think is cool (like the level 7 guy who never played an MMO before and stuck with us through the Langmar Estate like a champ). We've gotta make room somehow and that unfortunately means we have to drop players who aren't active every so often.

Edit: Top of the page... and 499 posts to go until OT3. I better come up with a thread title fast.

FuzzyNorman.9134

By the way, I've never done a fractal before, even though I'm level 80. Do people still start from the beginning or is everyone pretty much too far ahead?

Levyne

Banned
Even as a new person to fractals, you can start at level 10 or so if someone can open that high. That way more people might be inclined to join since they can get a pristine relic and a chance at a ring.

Jira

I'm only at level 3, so I haven't done much since I figure everyone's much higher. Would be cool to get a low level group going.

Derp I didn't realize you meant Fractals. Yeah they changed it so everyone can play together. As long as you're going a level that is 1 or more higher than your personal level you will increase in level by 1.

Retro

FuzzyNorman.9134

By the way, I've never done a fractal before, even though I'm level 80. Do people still start from the beginning or is everyone pretty much too far ahead?

I already answered this for you in game, but in case anyone else was curious, they've changed fractals so anyone of any level can join together for fractals, though the higher-up folks just get Karma in place of the higher difficulty. I don't think you'll find too many people flipping out about Fractal Levels these days.

Edit: Nevermind. Beaten. Repeatedly. That's what I get for doing Claw of Jormag.

Jira

I'm with ya.

Level 22, but I'll explore. Whats your name?

Also, what the shit are fractals?

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Fractals

Fractals of the Mists is a special type of dungeon that consists of an array of mini-dungeons called fractals, where each fractal has its own story and environment. The difficulty of the fractals increase the more they are completed (or "stabilized") although the difficulty level can be adjusted prior to entering. Parties may choose any difficulty from 1 to the highest completed by any party member prior to entering. Characters are adjusted to level 80 while within this dungeon. It is the first dungeon to offer ascended equipment. When entering the dungeon, the players arrive in Mistlock Observatory, a "hub" area within the Mists.

Entering Mistlock, you'll meet Dessa, a scientist who has made explorable chunks of reality from the Mists. There are hostile elements that were acquired during Mistlock which you are asked to dispose of. You may begin by entering the portal within the Mistlock to enter a fractal. You will hear Dessa's voice while stabilizing the fractal. Once it is stabilized, she and her krewe will transport you to the next one. Eventually, you'll be looped back to the Mistlock.

SirKhalid

zNcY5DL.jpg
7HdAyrv.jpg

30min+ battle in SM, lagging so much that I can take some souvenir screenshots.

Sorry, I did mean level 3 for fractals. I've got 2 level 80 characters (main is a warrior.)

I am jumping around between 3 alts though, so happy to use any of those with lower level guildies.

Mikey Jr.

You know what, I feel like I know close to nothing about this game. Jesus.

Is there some mega guide or something that will explain EVERYTHING?

Lunar15

Top of the page... and 499 posts to go until OT3. I better come up with a thread title fast.

|OT3| I Threw 100 Exotics Into The Forge And All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt

|OT3| Anet Updates This Game Faster Than You Can Outrun A Centaur

|OT3| Still Trying To Figure Out How To Fight The Wind

|OT3| Long Live Tybalt

Retro

Jira's God Tier OT:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=41244799&postcount=1
(Seriously, look at that OT. That is one sexy OT).

Retro's Beginner's Tips:
1. Roll the class you think looks interesting and fun, not which you think will be most useful. If one doesn't click with you, try another. Whatever choice you make, you won't be penalized further down the road (i.e. you can get into a group no matter what class you pick now). Every class can contribute, even breaking MMO-tropes; Guardians (the Paladin-like class) have a couple ranged attacks, Rangers are good in melee, etc.
- That said, most people say the Guardian, Warrior and Ranger are good classes to start with, while Mesmers, Elementalists and Engineers have a bit of a learning curve. Seriously though, try what sounds cool to you, as all of the professions are pretty approachable and you can always ask for help here or in-game.​
2. Race has no statistical advantage; it will only give you a few race-specific utility and elite skills (none of which stand out over the others). Otherwise it is entirely cosmetic. Be aware that the "Tauren Effect" is in play here; the two large races, Norn and Charr, feel like they move slower than the others even though run speed is normalized. Likewise, Asura feel like they're flying. Some people (myself included) find it detracts from the game, YMMV.
- For what it's worth, Norn look insanely cool in full armor (especially plate) and Charr have an awesome four-legged run animation, so there's silver lining everywhere.​
3. Buy a copper Mining Pick, Harvesting Sickle and Logging axe as soon as you have the money; there's no gathering professions, everyone can gather everything so long as they have the tools. Resource nodes show up on your mini-map (Grey rock, green leaves, brown log pile) and are instanced for everyone; don't rush to mine a Copper node just because someone is running towards it, you will have your own copy waiting just for you.

4. Likewise, buy a basic Salvage Kit. This is similar to Disenchanting in WoW, but you actually get resources like cloth, leather and metal rather than dusts/essences. This is the primary method for getting cloth and leather, actually. You will get items from enemies that serve no purpose other than to be salvaged, and will be labelled as such.

5. You don't need to be at a waypoint to travel; you can open your map and travel to any waypoint you've previously visited at any time.

6. If you want bags, take up any of the armor crafting professions (Armorsmith, Leatherworker, Tailor) as all three can produce bags right away. You may also want to check the Trading Post (shortcut: o) because the prices there are pretty low.

7. You get weapon swapping at level 7 (unless you're an Elementalist or Engineer), and unlock utility slots at 5, 10 and 20. Elite skills unlock at level 30.

8. For a quick level or two, explore your race's starting city. When you open your map there will be a checklist of the waypoints (Diamonds), Points of Interest (Small squares), and Vistas (Two Red Triangles), all of which give you XP just for visiting them. It also nets you some money and goodies for fully completing the map.

9. Learn to dodge early, it will save you forever. Most enemies have a 'wind up' animation just before they deliver a large attack. The default dodge key is V.
- Red Circles on the ground are enemy AOE attacks; dodge out of those too.​
10. When your health reaches zero, you aren't automatically killed; instead you enter a 'downed' state where you can defeat an enemy (or heal yourself if none are around) to rally back at half health. Keep an eye open for a blue "V" symbol over other players, or on your mini-map; this indicates another played who has been downed, and you can revive them (default key: f) and get some experience.

11. Wander around and do stuff. One of the biggest complaints people new to the game have is that there isn't any direction it shoos you towards. There are traditional quests (marked with hearts on your map), but the real meat of GW2 are events which can happen anywhere at any time. Pay attention to your surroundings; people will often run up to you and ask for help, or you'll see signs that something is amiss (people are sick and the well water is green? Follow the pipes to investigate the water supply.)

12. Whisper any of the officers for an invite to GAF guild where your questions will be answered. Ferny, Ashodin Venteal, Hawkian The Blade, Gojira, Nephenee Reginleif, Professor Retro, Wallach or Arken Elric. You can be part of GAF Guild regardless of which server you are on (We play on Stormbluff Isle, but it is often full), and you can join multiple guilds as well (so if you have friends already playing, you can switch between them as you like).

13. We use Mumble, and have a GAF server just for our guild; talking is optional but being able to listen helps, especially in dungeons. We also tend to hang out and get overly excited about new features:
Server Address: atl.eoreality.net
Port: 64742
Use your GAF Name as your username to avoid confusion.

14. You can also register at GAFGuild.com, we post all sorts of events and discuss things a little more indepth than we do here, just to keep this thread open for general discussion without getting bogged down in theorycrafting, event notices and such.

AWESOME TIPS (i.e. "Why don't other MMOs have that?!")
- There are no mailboxes anywhere, because you can send and receive mail anywhere via messenger pigeons.

- Likewise, you can buy and sell on the trading post from anywhere. However, any items you buy, or any money you make from selling, can only be picked up at a Trader NPC (marked as a golden scale icon on your map).

- You can click the small gear in the upper right corner of your inventory and select "Deposit all Collectables" to automatically send any crafting materials to your bank. These items appear on the "Collectables" tab at your bank, a special space that holds all of that stuff for you instead of forcing you to hoard it in your regular storage space.

- Your bank space is shared between all of your characters, and there is a space on the lower right to deposit money.

- There is no mob tagging in the traditional sense; as long as you do above a certain threshold of damage, you will get credit and looting rights regardless of who attacked first.

Jira

I'd post my thread that I made way back in the day but sadly it no longer remotely reflects what the current state of the game is.

So ANet might be testing PvE culling fixes at Jormag.

http://imgur.com/GkO6lPg,fbR9QZR,85...qFm,4lh8HNf,j5oV9WR,JoNZO5i,0bZ0wis,6ZLnATi#0

http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1hwxxs/did_claw_of_jormag_on_tc_just_now_it_seems_pve/

|OT3| I Threw 100 Exotics Into The Forge And All I Got Was This Stupid T-Shirt

|OT3| Anet Updates This Game Faster Than You Can Outrun A Centaur

|OT3| Still Trying To Figure Out How To Fight The Wind

|OT3| Long Live Tybalt

|OT3| Brought to you by Hawkian-Bot

|OT3| Retro approves of this Title

And if my dreams come true by the time the new OT starts...

|OT3| Cantha? Tengu? Why not both!

Jira

The text that gets me most is the one about having 12 FPS while having an i7 and 770.

Yeeeeah... no. ><

To be fair this is obviously a test and there's likely some underlying performance fixes coming in tomorrow's patch (assuming they're flipping the switch for the whole game) or whenever it is turned on. WvW saw big boosts in overall performance when the actual patch rolled out so it's likely the same thing will happen here.

Levyne

Banned
You grabbed a 770? Nice~

I already have to turn down my settings significantly to play in wvw, can't wait to do it in PVE.

Well, at least there's nobody in any of the zones outside of meta events, right?

I kid (slightly), but at least I am getting some funding back from Uni so I could build an actually capable PC sooner rather than later.

Sophia

To be fair this is obviously a test and there's likely some underlying performance fixes coming in tomorrow's patch (assuming they're flipping the switch for the whole game) or whenever it is turned on. WvW saw big boosts in overall performance when the actual patch rolled out so it's likely the same thing will happen here.

Yup. I saw a significant improvement when the WvW culling patch happened. Performance was improved and no more single digit FPS! :p

Levyne

Banned
Oh really?

Maybe I need to turn down the character limit in wvw....but I want to see everyone...

Anyway, super stoked to be reading patch notes while at work again.

:(

Becoming quite the ritual. The first few able to grab some quartz might be able to make some serious bank. Luckily I was able to make a decent chunk by selling some hoarded coffers when they pushed near two silver.

Proven

Oh really?

Maybe I need to turn down the character limit in wvw....but I want to see everyone...

Anyway, super stoked to be reading patch notes while at work again.

:(

Becoming quite the ritual. The first few able to grab some quartz might be able to make some serious bank. Luckily I was able to make a decent chunk by selling some hoarded coffers when they pushed near two silver.

As someone who built a new rig just in time for GW2 and was looking forward to WvW...

Just turn down your settings and go up from there. Just do it. For the love of your sanity.

jersoc

pretty excited for the patch tomorrow. easily one of the best in some time. the rest are pretty good, but the content goes away. this has lots of stuff staying around and achievement point unlock system will be fun.

no world on lfg is a bummer, but i rather have it done right if anything.

Katoki

There's still no denying that this much stuff showing up will tax systems.

You grabbed a 770? Nice~

The person in that screenshot talking about 17 frames has a 770. I personally want to pick up a 780 or Titan for the vapor chamber and because that cooler profile actually fits in my mini-itx case.

Jira

There's still no denying that this much stuff showing up will tax systems.

The person in that screenshot talking about 17 frames has a 770. I personally want to pick up a 780 or Titan for the vapor chamber and because that cooler profile actually fits in my mini-itx case.

I don't disagree. It's also well documented that most if not all MMOs are more CPU dependent than GPU so his 770 isn't doing much of the work. The difference between a stock i7 and a 4+ghz OC'd is fairly noticeable for GW2.

Any tips for where to level at around 18? The char place is fine but I cant ever seem to do any of the "big" events ash people arnt about. Also the ghosts are dicks and gang up on me alot haha

Trying to get into PVP so any tips/builds for a warrior would be pretty helpful!

Any tips for where to level at around 18? The char place is fine but I cant ever seem to do any of the "big" events ash people arnt about. Also the ghosts are dicks and gang up on me alot haha

Trying to get into PVP so any tips/builds for a warrior would be pretty helpful!

Did all the starting zones?

Try to get to 20 and then kessex hills, Brisbane wildlands, snowden drifts or diessa plateau should be much easier to solo.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
WeltallZero/Hawkian - I just downloaded the Start.bat file for the game pad setup and when I run it I get an error: "Windows cannot find 'Guild Wars 2 Mouse Script.exe". Make sure you typed the name correctly and try again.

Any suggestions?
You need to download all the files, not just START.BAT; that's just calling the rest of the relevant files. Make sure to check the instructions if you run into any trouble (you'll have to set the Xpadder.exe to compatibility mode most likely).

Jesus fuck. I can't even think of a good "pity no one is playing this game" joke.

I will contradict Luftar's advice above and suggest Metrica Province, which you can reach from hopping through Lion's Arch to Rata Sum. You already outleveled it but there's still tons of XP to be had there and some of the hearts are kind of unique in comparison to the Plains of Ashford.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I couldn't squeeze in a session to do Aetherblade Retreat last night. Should have done it the night it was released. So far, this is the first thing I wanted to do that I've "missed." Curses! Oh well, it was bound to happen sooner or later. I'll have to check out a video walkthrough, and bring on the reruns ANet! :)

Can someone link me a good mesmer build video?

I want to try out mesmer but I don't know what a video of a good build is that shows off all their skills. Well, I looked at all the mesmer's skills in a video but just not the skills in action. I want to see how their doing in PvP or in high level areas.

markot

Banned
Temporary content is stupid.

Their content delivery is pretty awful.

Lucky I only care about wvw.

The world doesn't feel living at all.

Stupid story lines added that add nothing. Characters that have none. Meanwhile dragons trying to destroy everything...it's been a year and what's been added? Fact is, if you buy the game new now, it's the same as what it was back then... With an empty new zone full of crabs and events that last 2 weeks then out of luck.

They've done nothing with the entire world, zones as barren and leveling up feels empty.

They need to stop and rethink their strategy. Cause living world doesn't mean one new temporary hub every month. If it does, then it's a failure.

As a pve game gw2 hasn't added a thing to the genre.

Living means more this.

nataku

I did AR last night with a PUG from GW2LFG. It was a group with a first run for a nearly everyone (me included), so lots of inexperience, lots of death.

Took us over 3 hours, but we did it. Everyone stuck around, which was great. It's nice to see people not rage quit after dying so much. The last time we were going to try before calling it everything went nearly perfect. We had one person die, but were able to get him up quickly after the cannon fire stopped.

Great dungeon. The boss fights were a lot of fun with interesting mechanics.

markot

Banned
I did AR last night with a PUG from GW2LFG. It was a group with a first run for a nearly everyone (me included), so lots of inexperience, lots of death.

Took us over 3 hours, but we did it. Everyone stuck around, which was great. It's nice to see people not rage quit after dying so much. The last time we were going to try before calling it everything went nearly perfect. We had one person die, but were able to get him up quickly after the cannon fire stopped.

Great dungeon. The boss fights were a lot of fun with interesting mechanics.
Lucky it'll be gone in a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom