• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

nataku

It's kind of annoying how so many things in this game are temporary. I mean if you aren't playing every few weeks then you are going to miss out on some things.

Yeah.

I can sort of understand dungeons being temporary, but I'd really like it if the skins stayed in the game. Even if they became even harder to get or are expensive mystic forge recipes. That's a ton of work for them to do to just throw them away after a couple weeks.

Complistic

it's double edged. On one hand it's really cool to have weapons no one can even get anymore.

I'm also pro permanent content though little story lines seem like good temp things. Dungeons shouldn't go away. That's always irritated me.

Anno

Seems like they should at least throw them into BL chests and make them tradeable from there. Drive those key sales.

Seems like they should at least throw them into BL chests and make them tradeable from there. Drive those key sales.

That's actually a great idea. Especially in the sense that GW2 seems to continue picking up new players who never had a chance at those skins, let alone were able to log on during the period they were available AND were able to get the RNG.

But, I think it's much more likely that they'll just reintroduce them through future events. They could do some kind of Memorial/Remember The Past type of event that offers, let's say Gnashblade Tickets which are redeemable for any weapon skin from the previous Living Story events.

Retro

it's double edged. On one hand it's really cool to have weapons no one can even get anymore.

I'm also pro permanent content though little story lines seem like good temp things. Dungeons shouldn't go away. That's always irritated me.

Well, cast your vote and be heard.
JUWnj.gif

Besides, they're not really full dungeons since they only have a Story Mode path, after all. That makes them more like mini dungeons. Either way, it's a moot point since they'll eventually coming back (yes, we're going to vote, but chances are good we're just picking which one comes first).

Too late Anet, I win this time muahaha.

Even if you already have the Achievement, it's still kind of cute and amusing.

To be honest, that's not a bad idea; slip special 'blank' tickets into the Black Lion Chests that basically count as any previous event's ticket, so you get to pick whichever one you want. That'd certainly make me open more BLChests.

Edit:
Get out of my head, Charles Jest

Whoa what trait got grandmastered. I didn't see anything in the notes. I was also leveling mesmer. 38 now :(, and I was using the staff leveling guide. Crap, I went to Mesmer because I saw a necro nerf coming and I wanted to wait to see how they would nerf it. I guess I could just get my guardian going to wait for the aftermath of both of those classes.

I only see chaos armor stuff in the patch notes for mesmer.

Oh you mean this from a while ago?

"The Minor Adept trait "Illusionists Celerity" has been made the Minor Grandmaster trait and the other Minor traits have been pushed down."

Yeah it was powerful but there's other things you can do, like increasing the weapon's skill regeneration directly. You may lose out on a lot of other traits though.

This is the mesmer leveling guide I use. The update notes discuss the loss of that IC trait, and how they compensated for it.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/1cjmri/new_player_guide_to_leveling_a_mesmer_the/

Thanks for the link!
Gonna check it out. Hopefully they don't nerf the Mesmer any MORE before I get a chance to level her a bit :/

nataku

We'll see what they do in the second half of the year. ANet says they're going to be doing more permanent content and large feature expansion, but the onus is on them to prove they can add all that without an expansion. I don't blame people for being skeptical. I am myself.

They definitely kill the hype factor by doing it with the LS. Adding Elona or Cantha one zone at a time isn't nearly as easy to hype up and get people who aren't playing interested in the game the way an expansion would. It's especially bad for returning players now because they have no way to get caught up on the story other than reading a wiki and the majority of the content that was put in no longer exists.

I look forward to the 2 week patch cycle, but they're probably never going to get me as excited as an expansion would. Hearing they're adding Elona or Cantha in a large expansion would probably put me at pre-launch levels of hype. Slowly spreading it out just isn't going to have the same impact, even if the end result is the same.

Levyne

Banned
Welp. I just whored myself out on pretty much everything that released today. In general this achievement set seems much less terrible than dragon bash.

Haven't looked at Belcher's Bluff yet, though. Tomorrow for sure :)

Capping literally everything in SBI BL minus the main kerp that was already ours was a nice late night karma train. Only had to kill a whopping 2 invaders the entire run. Too many people falling to their deaths in the new zone instead :p

Cels

Welp. I just whored myself out on pretty much everything that released today. In general this achievement set seems much less terrible than dragon bash.

yeah, way better than dragon bash. no more tedious popping of pinatas or launching fireworks. love the exploration aspect of the new zone, trying to find all the crystals without a guide

the individual skill required for sanctum sprint doesn't lend itself to afking like dragon ball either, so leechers have much less of an impact.

Going to punch a hole through my laptop at this rate. Fucking lag is killing me everytime on this race. I jump, go forward, backward then Im back where I started, then im falling but I dont respawn fast but actually fall and hit multiple rocks on the way down.

I go from top 4 to bottom 2 in like 15 seconds..

Jira

Well, this kinda puts the hurr durr game is dead/dying claims to rest:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=tjr1jxMc8Fo#t=179s

DAT CULLING FIX TEST.

I have personally never seen more players in a PvE environment in a single spot in any game I've played than in that video. Just think about the fact that people don't even like to do CoJ and it doesn't cause overflows. Now think about when you're running SB or Maw right after reset and it overflows...think about how many you'll see there....

LkPr

grr I keep getting kicked this morning :( only when i'm trying to go to and come out of the sprint

wtf.. now I am getting "The server was unable to authenticate your game play privileges"

Ghost23

So does getting 16/16 achievements give you the hell fire or radiant armor sets? I'm confused on what you need to do to get those.

Well, it looks like I'll never get the helm now. I only have 1100 achievement points.

Just keep playing and the points will come. Many achievements have 5+ levels and those points add up. Other achievements are repeatable and you'll rack up points for them as you pursue other goals. Salvaging for Ecto's and materials for example.

Lunar15

Just keep playing and the points will come. Many achievements have 5+ levels and those points add up. Other achievements are repeatable and you'll rack up points for them as you pursue other goals. Salvaging for Ecto's and materials for example.

Not to mention, they add new achievements every two weeks on top of the hundreds of old achievements tied to stuff like world completion, crafting, and beating bosses.

Can an officer re-invite me to gafguild if there is space available? I'm coming back to check out the new patch. GW account is InVinoVeritas.4863.

Is the limited time content doable without a maxed character? I think my highest level is 53, and I wanted to go for the Bazaar achievements.

Ghost23

Can an officer re-invite me to gafguild if there is space available? I'm coming back to check out the new patch. GW account is InVinoVeritas.4863.

Is the limited time content doable without a maxed character? I think my highest level is 53, and I wanted to go for the Bazaar achievements.

Yes, any level can participate.

Levyne

Banned
I had maybe 15 races in a row where lag wasn't a problem for me...

Maybe I was only winning because it was a problem for everyone else :p

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
(Commander book excluded, I don't know why that's in there but I'm not touching it)
The fate of the tome in the bank has been decided, it's just contingent on Ash earnin' a bit more of the ol' coin.
Emergency guild event!

We are going to try to get all of the kites tonight. Who all wants the join?
:( Sounds like that was fun! I got to update my game at around midnight, at least.
It's kind of annoying how so many things in this game are temporary. I mean if you aren't playing every few weeks then you are going to miss out on some things.
Definitely, but it's just par for the course. I didn't really get to touch the Aetherblades content and I really liked that update. Life gets in the way sometimes and people who don't play regularly are gonna miss out on stuff. To some extent that's the point, though I think adding in the sort of planned recurrence or ability to revisit "past" content will, as expressed will be the case by Colin, will be crucial to the success of the idea. One of the points WoodenPotatoes makes about the living story, is that the systems of the game aren't yet really geared to fully take advantage of it which is totally true, and was true of Guild Missions before that.
Yeah.

I can sort of understand dungeons being temporary, but I'd really like it if the skins stayed in the game. Even if they became even harder to get or are expensive mystic forge recipes. That's a ton of work for them to do to just throw them away after a couple weeks.
I'd actually prefer the content itself remain permanently than the rare aesthetic rewards.

Arcteryx

Haven't looked at Belcher's Bluff yet, though. Tomorrow for sure :)

Capping literally everything in SBI BL minus the main kerp that was already ours was a nice late night karma train. Only had to kill a whopping 2 invaders the entire run. Too many people falling to their deaths in the new zone instead :p

Have fun with the guy in the norn home city...he is a bitch to fight. Spent ~2hrs on him, then gave up an used Mango Pies lol. I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it, because the last boss is INCREDIBLY easy compared to that guy.

LkPr

what do the % mean for the Achievement Points leaderboard?

For me it states 80% ... so does that mean I have more pts then 80% of the population?

Trey

Irongut is a dick. He rarely bluffs though. And his shout cooldown seems faster than the three drink requirement. Just gonna have to get lucky with him. Build up a life lead and hope he doesn't spam his special too much.

Ceres

Banned
Achievements, in the 3000 points chest I can see that you can choose between radiant or hellfire glove.

Going to replace my ugly Charr armor with these I think. Will likely wait until we see the the whole ensemble before deciding as a lot factors on the breastplate and leggings. No way I'll use the hellfire helm tho. Looks like Alien.

Ghost23

Going to replace my ugly Charr armor with these I think. Will likely wait until we see the the whole ensemble before deciding as a lot factors on the breastplate and leggings. No way I'll use the hellfire helm tho. Looks like Alien.

The hellfire helm is actually the only skin I want. Unfortunately, it will probably be the hardest one to get as well.

Dunlop

Has levelling changed in the game?

Funny enough I found this game to be uber grindy when it was advertised to be the opposite.

Reading the engineer forums is depressing lol

Trey

Funny enough I found this game to be uber grindy when it was advertised to be the opposite.

Leveling is the same in execution (do personal story and hearts), but Anet has added more ways to gain experience than there were available at launch. Your daily gives you some experience, there are rare candy like items now, XP boosting food and items are much more plentiful. I have to imagine it's a much quicker leveling process now.

Lunar15

No, but I think what they meant about not being uber grindy is that you can gain XP in a really wide variety of ways. You can run dungeons, participate in events,craft, find new locations, play world v world, and complete daily, monthly, and account wide achievements.

If you're moving from heart to heart, it's gonna feel like a long grind. If you're crafting while exploring and doing the dynamic events as they pop up, it goes -extremely- fast. The other factor is that the XP to level up ratio is linear, as opposed to increasing exponentially.

Eric WK

I just leveled to 80 over the past month and I have to disagree that it's grindy. You can literally do anything you want in the game other than sPvP and be rewarded with XP.

Do hearts/events, do world completion stuff (vistas, skill points, etc.), gather and craft, do the living story stuff, work on achievements, WvW (extremely efficient if you're in a zerg (if you care about efficiency)). I just played the game and reached max level before I knew it. You really don't have to grind anything.

Levyne

Banned
Yeah. Following a commander in EB for a few hours can net you several levels relatively quickly if things are going well. I mean there are more factors at play there, but I've surprised myself looking at my skill point count before and after a session.

It's a little less rote then filling out a map, if you need a change of pace. Simply listening and engaging with the players in TS makes it really enjoyable too, lots of big personalities.

Wish my headset worked :(. Gotta get a replacement.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane

Would you mind elucidating your experience that you found so grindy?

Leveling in this game, for a first character at least, struck me as absolutely painless, even compared to many non-MMOs. And they've only added more ways to get XP since launch.

In addition to the universal methods mentioned, following the world boss bonus event train around, especially if you help out with the pre-events, is perfectly grand XP, and you'll get a pile of rares you might be able to use as upgrades while you level (once you are 39 or higher).

Retro

Mega Post Ho!

Erm, before I dig into this, I should say this isn't directed at you, Markot, just the video. Didn't want it to come across as me going after you specifically, I guess I sort of have that reputation, so I wanted to be clear.

He says one of his big problems is that ArenaNet "can't really market the Living Story stuff, they can't put a massive marketing budget behind some small two week update that's coming out . . . in the way you properly market an expansion."

How does "We're giving you an entire expansion for free" sound? Won't that turn a few heads? I mean, what massive marketing campaign does he think they need, when the game didn't really have a huge advertising campaign to begin with? How many Guild Wars 2 commercials did they air?

GW2 sold a lot on word of mouth, and that's exactly what is getting new players in and old players back. Anecdotally, I've invited more people, new and returning, over this last week than any I've seen since launch. And that includes the Super Adventure Box, which brought a ton back too (on nothing more than word of mouth as well). And they have well over 3 million in sales at this point. All without a "massive marketing budget".

He makes a lot of good points, but that one in particular is completely baseless. Giving content away every two weeks is factually better than sitting on an expansion; why wait for the game to get good in 6 months or a year with a massive load of content that's quickly, when it's already good now and gets consistently better every patch. Anyone who's set foot in the Labyrinthine Cliffs knows it, even if the foot race is laggy, the crystal hunt is infuriating, the overflows are crowded. The amount of things to see and do is overwhelming.

No one else in gaming, nevermind MMOs, is putting this level of content out on a consistent basis. No one. That deserves recognition, and I think it's getting it.

Invite sent, welcome back to GAFGuild. We have room for another 120 people and we just did a culling. As to your other question, yes; you are automatically scaled up to level 80. There's not a lot to fight; the rare monster is summoned by shoppers checking out various cursed artifacts and dangerous goods, but you can run past them if you want and at 53 you'll have a lot of traits and skills unlocked to deal with them.

Come to Labyrinthine Cliffs and have fun.

what do the % mean for the Achievement Points leaderboard?

For me it states 80% ... so does that mean I have more pts then 80% of the population?

I believe so, yes; you don't have a rank, but you're at the same level as 80% of the people in the game.

- No.

- You can gain Experience from Achievements, Crafting, Dailies, Dungeons, Dynamic Events, Exploring (renown hearts, skill challenges, points of interest, waypoints and vistas all give experience upon discovery/completion), Gathering, Killing enemies, Monthlies, Personal Story, Reviving Players, WvW...

If you're doing one thing repeatedly to level, try doing different things all at once. Gather as you explore, do events when you come upon them. Don't wander from heart to heart or just fill in a map because it's not filled in. If something isn't immediately fun, try something else. If none of it is fun, you're not paying $15 a month so you've no reason to keep playing. At the very least, check out the new area and do some of the cool jumping scavenger hunt.

- Official Forums are always depressing, regardless of which sub-forum you're reading. Profession/class forums are almost always "I don't like this, fix it", "I'm not the best class in the game, fix it" or "This other class can do this, why can't we?". Throw in a huge spoonful of clueless armchair game design, a few dashes of bitterness, stir it up with the occasional post from someone who supposedly plays another class gloating / telling people to stop whining and you've got a Shit Milkshake called Official Forum Communities. It's a universal truth, if it were a star you could sail by it, straight into hell.

Reknoc

Guild Wars 2 is the only mmorpg I've ever capped on. And I have 2 alts that are darn close to max. Really wouldn't call it a grind at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom