• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT2| Funding An MMO Entirely On Quaggan Backpacks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't played in a few days. Really just got burnt out so taking a break and hopefully will be back in action before all this Halloween stuff is over. I don't even think I'll attempt the Clocktower, watched some videos and felt like I was watching one of those insane Mario speedruns, lol.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Haven't played in a few days. Really just got burnt out so taking a break and hopefully will be back in action before all this Halloween stuff is over. I don't even think I'll attempt the Clocktower, watched some videos and felt like I was watching one of those insane Mario speedruns, lol.

It's not as bad as it looks, assuming you are half decent at jump puzzles. :p

arimanius

I have almost 400 hours on my Engi, and feel your pain on the auto attack sounds of rifle/pistols. The game changes drastically once you can get 30 points in and get Grenadier trait. Your damage output is increased by 50% by the third grenade alone.

Not sure if you are into WvW or not, but this video has an astounding player and shows what the Engi is capable of (in full Berserker's gear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9IdpgUJCvs

The class is amazing. So many options.

I did some WvW last night on my level 20 Engi. Was a lot more fun than my level 65 Mesmer was. I ran rifle, grenade kit, elixer B, and elixer S and the combat just seem a lot more fast pace than the Mesmer.

I kept switching back and forth from kit to rifle, drinking elixers when things got hairy, but it was fun. I did find aiming grenades being hard as hell and during a keep siege I couldn't hit anyone up on the walls.

Engi was the first class I tried and got to 20 and deleted him. Glad I went back to it after I tried all the other classes and learned the game mechanics better. My only concern now is I'm a loot whore and only have 2 weapons and a shield may start to bug me.

BTW thanks for the MK group last night. Can't remember the names but was my first dungeon and was fun. Hopefully I was help when my charter connection wasn't going out.

-Evangelica is my Engi name

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Like markot said, it's always been there, but you likely already completed the pre-reqs in the zone you first saw the doors. I was the same way until I read that article and realized there WERE events necessary to see the doors pop!

Actually finished the two events in Queensdale yet no pumpkin doors popped out. Damn :/

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Actually finished the two events in Queensdale yet no pumpkin doors popped out. Damn :/

That's no good...I'll have to check it out tonight. I need to carve pumpkins still, but after that, I'm going to just chain the Labyrinth for XP and money. We'll see if I can get in.

When does Act 4 drop?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That's what was happening to me last night. The events kept alternating. Gendarren and Kessex were similar stories. I hope the Mad King lets us back in by the time I get home!

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Have been going straight into LA's overflow for the last few days. Hurricane hits North East US...bam, straight into main LA.

Dries

So I was just about to start GW2 for the first time and what do I see?

i41AoZULsDLbP.jpg

What the fuck? Help?

nataku

It's dxtory. You're using that, right?

I had the same issue if I didn't have the overlay "displayed" when starting the game up with an older version of DXtory. If you can, update to the latest version. It doesn't have the issue, at least for me. If you have the latest version, make sure under the overlay tab of DXtory it doesn't say Disabled and instead has the overlay showing on one of the sides or corners, wherever you like it. Alternately, I've read starting DXtory after GW2 is launched works as well.

Having the overlay set to disabled is what caused the crashing for me.

nataku

Yeah, I am. It's reinstalling now, so I'll try and turn that shit off.

Edit: Holy shit, just looked at my error screen a little better and saw it..

I edited my post above while you posted this. Try that. I had the exact same issue as you.

nataku

It's like fraps. Video and screenshots, but much more powerful and with much more customization. It has a FPS overlay too.

Dries

I just use it to limit my fps. I don't like the look and feel of 60 fps. Yeah, I'm a freak.

Yep, turning off Dxtory did the trick. Thanks, nataku!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Freak. Cool though, I'll check it out. Been wanting to make some gifs.

edit: Oh then it doesn't work at all hahaha. FRAPS it is.

Damnit i just did this 5 part event where you have to go and collect those pages of a book from the ghosts all over the world and the one in Gendarran fields cavern is BUGGED :(

Now i can't finish the event!

I'm assuming this won't be fixed until they patch it right? Tomorrow's the last day for Halloween events isnt it? :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was hoping they'd add a gifting feature for the gem store.
That would be a great idea actually. I'd honestly consider spending real money on that long before anything for myself, as crazy as it sounds. If I had a friend I knew really wanted something from the cash shop but didn't have time to earn the gold, it'd be a great option.
Damnit i just did this 5 part event where you have to go and collect those pages of a book from the ghosts all over the world and the one in Gendarran fields cavern is BUGGED :(

Now i can't finish the event!

I'm assuming this won't be fixed until they patch it right? Tomorrow's the last day for Halloween events isnt it? :(
Describe the bug. It might not be.

Dries

Wow! First impression is great! The Sylvari starter location is so beautiful. At first the game is kinda overwhelming since I've never played an MMORPG before, but I can't wait to keep playing as I haven't even scratched the surface.

leng jai

Finally bought the scythe for 21g. It looks ridiculous on your sheathed but amazing in combat. Now I'm mega poor and still need to find 5g to get chainsaw the skeleton.

AAANNNEEETTT

That would be a great idea actually. I'd honestly consider spending real money on that long before anything for myself, as crazy as it sounds. If I had a friend I knew really wanted something from the cash shop but didn't have time to earn the gold, it'd be a great option.
There are already gem cards out in stores, so that's pretty close. About as close as most online stores allow, really.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
There are already gem cards out in stores, so that's pretty close. About as close as most online stores allow, really.
Oh true that. Had no idea.

That's a lot more compelling to me than buying "game time" on a card. I don't know why exactly.
Finally bought the scythe for 21g. It looks ridiculous on your sheathed but amazing in combat. Now I'm mega poor and still need to find 5g to get chainsaw the skeleton.

AAANNNEEETTT
You're a gentleman and a scholar my friend.
Wow! First impression is great! The Sylvari starter location is so beautiful. At first the game is kinda overwhelming since I've never played an MMORPG before, but I can't wait to keep playing as I haven't even scratched the surface.
Interested in joining the guild?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
We want to give you a heads up about Phase 4 of the Halloween event. Phase 4 will start at 9:00 AM PDT/16:00 GMT on October 31, and will run until we publish a new build on November 1 (which will be sometime after Noon PDT/19:00 GMT).
Once Phase 4 starts, the Ascent to Madness dungeon will no longer be available – but you will still be able to enter the Mad King’s realm, including the Labyrinth, the Clocktower, Reaper’s Rumble and Lunatic Inquisition.
Also make sure that you will “Attend the Party” in Lion’s Arch once Phase 4 starts, and do not worry: It is a non-stop party, so swing by any time you want!
Happy Halloween.

from https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/halloween/Halloween-Phase-4-Heads-Up/

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
Fixed an issue that prevented haunted doors from properly appearing in Gendarran Fields, Kessex Hills, and Queensdale. The haunted doors on these maps will now remain open for the remainder of the Halloween event to allow players entry into the Mad King’s realm

etiolate

Banned
I had an interesting interaction out in Whisperwill Bogs the other day. I wonder if anyone else had a random boss fight there?

Some Order of Whispers Story Quest spoilers below.

An Undead boss appeared in Whisperwill Bogs when my friend and I were heading towards Sparkfly Fen. It appeared suddenly, unattackable, with a voice acted taunt of my character. It was something like "Soon you will be meeting Tybalt again." This was after Tybalt had died in my personal story. The Boss pointed specifically at my character and named my character. I asked if the other person saw them point and name me, and they said yes.

After making the threat, the boss then attacked us.

This was not inside a personal story instance, but just an event out in the world that I stumbled into. I wonder if anyone else has run into events in the world that reference their story like that? I imagine it only triggers if you have done that story part.

Scythian

I'm really enjoying the Halloween stuff, but I'm wondering if the only way of obtaining all of the Mad King gear is the chest in the Labyrinth? I only have the slippers, but I'd be sad if I can't get the other stuff.

etiolate

Banned
Well, as far as I can tell, the Mad King gear isn't a unique skin but simply another skin renamed Mad King.

They may drop from the Mad King dungeon chest, but I get such crappy loot from that chest that I can't tell you.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I'm really enjoying the Halloween stuff, but I'm wondering if the only way of obtaining all of the Mad King gear is the chest in the Labyrinth? I only have the slippers, but I'd be sad if I can't get the other stuff.
Please, please don't fret. It's not even close to a unique set, unless the words "Mad King's Whatever" is really worth all the effort.

Buy the runes and craft your own if you want it- but buy them soon.

They do drop in the dungeon chest, have had a few guildies and myself pull pieces out of there.

I don't know if they jacked up the drop rate on the pieces tonight in the laby, but so far I've ran 4 characters through and gotten 3 pieces, 2 of which were on the same character.

Sold a couple and keeping the rest to see if they go up in price after the event is over. Just keep running it on your characters, getting both chests, each time the server resets. Should net you quite a few pieces.

KuroNeeko

Really enjoying the event. Even the little things that just happen accidentally (like getting three sets of the Mad King's Britches and no other exotics.)

Meeting other GAFfers to take down the Mad King has been a lot of fun as well. Too bad we couldn't get some good GAF Lunatic Inquisition games going.

That said, I'm getting event fatique:/ Living in JST means I was up to about 3am the other day to see the MK pop out of the fountain. I'll try to be there for the Party tonight as well and when all is said, I think Anet did a great job with the event. I hope it turns a profit for them and they've ironed out enough creases so that they can turn a profit in a way that a majority of the players can be happy with. If this is what their future monthly content updates look like, hot damn, can't wait!

Still, I'd be lying if I said I wasn't looking forward to heading back out to just farm some mats. Made some good money this event but it will be interesting (read scary) to see how the influx of gold for most people will affect the market. :/

It might sound weird to others, but I think if this is really true then I would not bother with the class at all. I am the same way about certain things like that, and this issue in particular would be pretty hard to shake in this game considering every single weapon of a particular type makes the same sounds. There's no way I'd put up with that for potentially hundreds of hours; too basic a quality of life issue to invest significant time.

Based on what else you mentioned, I think I'd stick with the Elementalist and try to invest more time into learning how to do solo PvE well. There are definitely strong setups for that within the class, and it sounds like you already enjoy the general play style. I feel like they are the class most similar to the Engineer in that they have a lot of very strong and varied options compared to most of the other classes, and their gameplay seems slightly more involved than the others'.

For what it's worth I agree about the Necromancer. I desperately want to like the class - I almost never make alts and I made a Necro not long after my Engineer hit 80 - but they just seem like a simple, almost shallow class right now. There are certainly at least a couple very strong build options, but they are extremely straightforward to play. Their traits are also a fuckin' train wreck™ and leave me shaking my head every time I look at them.

Thanks for the advice! I play around with my alts quite often and even little things will cause me to reroll. I think I'll try to split my time up between Engineer and Elementalist for a bit and see which one I like more. It means having to put up with the human area again for both alts but we'll see. I want to like Engineer, I just wish they'd packaged it a little differently.

By the way, I remember your posts for the Dungeons of Dredmor thread;D Nice to see you here in GW2.

I have almost 400 hours on my Engi, and feel your pain on the auto attack sounds of rifle/pistols. The game changes drastically once you can get 30 points in and get Grenadier trait. Your damage output is increased by 50% by the third grenade alone.

Not sure if you are into WvW or not, but this video has an astounding player and shows what the Engi is capable of (in full Berserker's gear)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9IdpgUJCvs

The class is amazing. So many options.

Yeah, I love all the little toys. I just don't like how the kits look when they're on (though I'm willing to forgive the Flamethrower because it's so damn cool) and the sound the autoattack makes. I don't want to give her up though so I'll stick with it a bit longer. Just the other night I was using the rifle stomp to navigate the stupid jumps in Mad King mini-dungeon.

I'll check out the YouTube vid during my lunch break.

You can get them from the mini-dungeon with the Mad King after you defeat him. I pulled two crusty pairs of Mad King Britches last night in two consecutive runs.

Please, please don't fret. It's not even close to a unique set, unless the words "Mad King's Whatever" is really worth all the effort.

Buy the runes and craft your own if you want it- but buy them soon.

Whaaaat? They don't even look unique? Damn, they're going up on the TP then.

nataku

Freak. Cool though, I'll check it out. Been wanting to make some gifs.

edit: Oh then it doesn't work at all hahaha. FRAPS it is.

Dxtory definitely works with GW2, it just used to crash GW2 if you don't have the overlay enabled when starting you hit Play on the launcher. Maybe it still does going by Dries issue, but I haven't had the problem since I updated to version 2.0.120.

I've been using dxtory for all my screens and what little video capture I do. It does still have issues if I alt tab out of GW2, though. It quits working completely then until I close dxtory and re-open it with GW2 running in the background.

I had an interesting interaction out in Whisperwill Bogs the other day. I wonder if anyone else had a random boss fight there?

Some Order of Whispers Story Quest spoilers below.

An Undead boss appeared in Whisperwill Bogs when my friend and I were heading towards Sparkfly Fen. It appeared suddenly, unattackable, with a voice acted taunt of my character. It was something like "Soon you will be meeting Tybalt again." This was after Tybalt had died in my personal story. The Boss pointed specifically at my character and named my character. I asked if the other person saw them point and name me, and they said yes.

After making the threat, the boss then attacked us.

This was not inside a personal story instance, but just an event out in the world that I stumbled into. I wonder if anyone else has run into events in the world that reference their story like that? I imagine it only triggers if you have done that story part.

I've done that part in the personal story and I haven't encountered that boss yet. That's pretty cool that personal story stuff affects what happens outside of the instances too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Fixed an issue that prevented haunted doors from properly appearing in Gendarran Fields, Kessex Hills, and Queensdale. The haunted doors on these maps will now remain open for the remainder of the Halloween event to allow players entry into the Mad King’s realm

Finally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom