• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

xeris

I've played some Marvel Heroes and I liked it enough, but I'm not too into that Diablo-style of game. It seems like a lot of fun for people who are more into that thing though!

I just think an events system would be perfect for a Superhero MMO. City of Heroes already had small little crimes happening around the city, but they didn't give any XP or rewards or anything.

You could always check out Champions Online. I haven't played since it went f2p since they made all my characters unplayable unless you sub (f2p players can only have certain templates, not mix and match like sub characters). I seem to remember that it had an event system. It also has a design your nemesis feature where they and their henchmen can randomly pop up and attack you. Oh and it was made by the original group that did CoH.

Callunah

Neo Member
REMINDER!!!!!

Originally Posted by Zed Zebes

TONIGHT!!!!! the 27th of August, I will be hosting a fun little WvWvW event called the Traveling Zoo.

This is your chance to roll out your Ranger and pop your mini-pets as this will be an All Ranger party*. Any build is fine and I'd like to get a variety of pets just to see how ridiculous we can look.

We'll meet up in SBI Borderlands Citadel Waypoint around 7:30pm EST (4:30pm PST). We'll start out in the Boderlands and maybe map hop depending on the situation of the match.

If you would like to come then just bring your ass to the event. No sign ups needed.

*I do welcome some guardians for stability and mesmers for veil/timewarp just to make this crazy idea work a little better.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
I'm interested in improving my personal level of play, so I tried soloing some group stuff this morning just to see what I could manage.

I completed Caudecus's Manor (story mode) and a couple of level 1 Fractals (Aquatic Ruins and Molten Furnace) alone before Zeroth had to show up to help me finish the Cliffside Fractal and the Molten Boss Fractal. I also tried the Uncatagorized Fractal alone, but I ended up quitting on the boss at the end. I'm not sure how to manage fighting the golems at the same time as dodging the asura shooting balls of death at you.

I may need a little work before soloing Arah.

I read this and thought "whoah, maybe I should start solo'ing stuff for funsies and the challenge!" So I look up a mesmer solo video I find on reddit and hit play...
YnT3JMR.png

Nope. Not for me. I'm too impatient.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Just make a warrior already!
Bloodseeker will be seeking your blood shortly :p

At least the "no helm" creation option is pretty amazing.

Honestly I'm betting I feel about warriors the way I hear people talk about thieves.
I read this and thought "whoah, maybe I should start solo'ing stuff for funsies and the challenge!" So I look up a mesmer solo video I find on reddit and hit play...
I had the same thought, and based on the fun I've had the past week soloing the Living World stuff I might actually get into this. Though I'm sure I'll be better at it on my thief than my Mes or Ele. I'm not sure if I want any videos though, might just try my luck ;) What was it you watched?

Shanlei91

I had the same thought, and based on the fun I've had the past week soloing the Living World stuff I might actually get into this. Though I'm sure I'll be better at it on my thief than my Mes or Ele. I'm not sure if I want any videos though, might just try my luck ;) What was it you watched?

It was this one, 24 minutes sped up to 12 minutes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKONEej6EJ8

To be fair, it is a lvl 48 Mossman.

Shanlei91

Healing Shout Support Warrior is best Warrior!

Even though mine is currently in his Zerk gear. Plan to change that back soon.

I remember joining a zerk Warrior farm of CoF back in the day with my Warrior. Someone stops in the middle of it:

"Did...did your shout just heal me?"
"Whaaaaa you crazy. I'm all zerk all the time. Gooooo damage!"

Fafnir

I also tried the Uncatagorized Fractal alone, but I ended up quitting on the boss at the end. I'm not sure how to manage fighting the golems at the same time as dodging the asura shooting balls of death at you.

Unless they changed something, you can los the Asura deathballs at the columns in the back. So kite and kill the golems+asura at the columns.

Mxrz

Thieves are funny. They get angry when you kill them, and start wanting to duel. Only by duel they mean walk out into the open and let them cheese stealth on you.

Katoki

Thieves are funny. They get angry when you kill them, and start wanting to duel. Only by duel they mean walk out into the open and let them cheese stealth on you.

Could be the ones that specifically made a thief because they're strong and then try to pick on people that're used to fighting thieves already since there're some players that've been thieves since day one or even the open beta sessions. A lot of the angry kids are thief players for some reason or another. I have my share of experiences and some screenshots of people to laugh at.

From my experience, the ones that run off and don't care are the ones that've been playing long enough for it to be something like "another day another kill." That or they're the folks who have lost faith in humanity a long time ago.

BraXzy

My computer has been playing up again and has been running another Disk Check for over 4 hours so I think the HDD is reaaaaaally screwed. I can't really afford to replace it but I guess I'm going to have to at some point. Don't miss me too much while I'm not on :p

Good luck and have fun with the WvW event btw!

Ashodin

Tomorrow:

"We reorganized personal story missions to make the beginner experience more streamlined and effective."

JUST LIKE CHINA

Katoki

What's that?

One immediate example I can think of that kind of works is that one spot everyone stacks on for golem in Mount Maelstrom. Most attacks don't hit where people're stacked and you'll occasionally get knocked off but for the most part you won't get wrecked by the lightning fields.

I suppose instead of making those boxes/crates so you can't stand on them, you'll just get told off and maybe a mark on your account or something.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
What's that?

“Safe Spot” – Standing in a location to hold aggro or attack a monster/boss while it is unable to damage you (basic attack) and does not leash back to its original starting position.
This is an abuse of a geometry and/or pathing bug, and is considered an exploit.

Avoiding mechanics by standing in a singular area isn’t an exploit, it’s possible bad dungeon design (for example the cage room in the newer flame and frost fractal…sorry I can’t remember the name of the dungeon it’s late). In that fight there are areas in which you can avoid almost the entire fight mechanic, that’s an example of poor dungeon mechanic design.
Standing on a rock/ledge/platform while the boss attempts to hit you from below (yes there are some bosses that still have abilities that hit you), is a problem with pathing and the boss not resetting when it can’t reach the target. This is exploiting a bug.
Kiting and using geometry (running AROUND pillars and such) is a perfectly valid tactic.
Standing outside a stationary boss’s range is not an exploit, the boss “should” reset after an extended period of time, but is not. This is an example of poor boss implementation, and not an exploit.
Using terrain to block/dodge boss mechanics is also considered a valid tactic (standing behind a pillar when a boss charges).
At this point we are getting very nitpicky at each individual boss and each mechanic in question. I’m sure most of you are aware of what is an exploit and what is a mechanic/tactic. We are working on fixing these “Safe Spots”, but it’s going to take some time to get it done, and will probably happen over time. (Sorry I am not going to go into particulars for fights/changes)
I’ll be very clear here:
If a GM finds a player that is using a “Safe Spot”, that player will be moved out of the safe spot and warned (via in-game text). If they are caught again, that account will be temporarily suspended.
If a GM finds a player that is using a “Safe Spot” and selling the dungeon run, that account will be temporarily suspended without warning.

Hmmm...

Katoki

Standing outside a stationary boss’s range is not an exploit, the boss “should” reset after an extended period of time, but is not. This is an example of poor boss implementation, and not an exploit.
Welp @ golem.

So basically.. doing Sorrow's Embrace with that stupid dredge tank part. Guessing GMs are able to go into 5-man instances then. It's not as if they have to be visible though.

Retro

Tomorrow:

"We reorganized personal story missions to make the beginner experience more streamlined and effective."

JUST LIKE CHINA

I follow the game pretty closely and even I can't recall exactly what the changes were. To the people who don't read the subreddit every day, it's still news.

At this rate they better be working on an xpac or I am super dissapointer.

You could save money if you don't buy it in the first place, that way you don't have to ask for a refund later.
JUWnj.gif

I feel like "safe spots" are one of the last things in the game that they need to worry about reprimanding people for using. Patch the spots out as they come up, and leave people be in the meantime.

In other news, after the success of this morning's level 1 Fractal run, Zeroth was nice enough to entertain the idea of a level 19 Fractal duet. We completed a full run of Aquatic Ruins, Urban Battlegrounds, Cliffside, and Jade Maw together. So I want to thank him again for being such a great teammate in some very intense battles.

Mxrz

Could be the ones that specifically made a thief because they're strong and then try to pick on people that're used to fighting thieves already since there're some players that've been thieves since day one or even the open beta sessions. A lot of the angry kids are thief players for some reason or another. I have my share of experiences and some screenshots of people to laugh at.

From my experience, the ones that run off and don't care are the ones that've been playing long enough for it to be something like "another day another kill." That or they're the folks who have lost faith in humanity a long time ago.

It does seem like the ones that flat out murder me never stick around for long.

spiritfox

Ok, safe spot policing is just stupid. If you want to stop people from doing it, fix it. In the meantime, don't punish players for taking advantage of exploitable spots, cause it's a valid a tactic as stacking. And it's not fully enforcable and a waste of the GMs' time.

Retro

August 28

The new Silver-Fed Salvage-O-Matic consumes 1 silver per use and has a 25% chance to recover rare materials and a 80% chance to recover upgrades. You’ll never need to stop at a vendor for master salvage kits ever again. We’re also reintroducing the Wintersday Minis 3-Pack, which includes a miniature Fawn, Puppy, and Arctic Fox Kit. As if that weren’t enough excitement for one day, you can also pick up Black Lion Salvage Kits at 40% off and the Zodiac Armor sets for 30% off.

I can't see myself buying the Silver-Fed Salvage machine, especially when I'm drowning in Black Lion Salvage Kits already. Any kind of rare / exotic salvaging I do usually happens in town anyways since I only burn blues / greens out in the field because I get so many at once.

Anno

I have more mystic stone things than I know what to do with, so I can't see myself buying it either when I have literally tens of thousands of charges ready to brew up for super cheap.

BraXzy

I can't see myself buying the Silver-Fed Salvage machine, especially when I'm drowning in Black Lion Salvage Kits already. Any kind of rare / exotic salvaging I do usually happens in town anyways since I only burn blues / greens out in the field because I get so many at once.

Haha. Didn't someone jokingly suggest something along those lines? It seems a bit pointless considering how easy Mystic Salvage kits are to come by. Copper-Fed is a pretty good convenience item considering I get the salvage achievement a few times a day. I might buy a BL kit while on offer just in-case I run out.

Retro

Haha. Didn't someone jokingly suggest something along those lines? It seems a bit pointless considering how easy Mystic Salvage kits are to come by. Copper-Fed is a pretty good convenience item considering I get the salvage achievement a few times a day. I might buy a BL kit while on offer just in-case I run out.

Between the last Black Lion Key sale and getting them as Daily rewards every so often, I have something like 15 of 'em just sitting around, not counting ones I keep on my 80s. I really only use them for Exotics, I have Mystic Salvage kits for rares (and honestly, I've been selling my rares straight up lately since I'd rather have gold than another stack of ectos).

Love my Copper-fed salvage though, the convenience of that on my main has been great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom