• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mine01

I havent received the invitation yet o:.

Maybe i should post my other username? the one with .numbers? anyway here it is, Mitsu.5193
edit: wut just noticed i'm in an european server? mh i'll check if i can transfer.

BraXzy

Already finished the clover part of the weapon tho

hmm so it really is gonna be a pain then?

Hedge posted pretty much every option you've got available. They also have a chance of dropping from champ bags/boxes so maybe the champ train in Frostgorge or just your usual dungeon runs each day as well.

T6 mats were one of the last things I had to get myself. Don't worry about it too much as it slowly builds up over time, I'd focus on map completion and getting your precursor first but the order doesn't really matter. Personal preference :)

Zeroth

I havent received the invitation yet o:.

Maybe i should post my other username? the one with .numbers? anyway here it is, Mitsu.5193
edit: wut just noticed i'm in an european server? mh i'll check if i can transfer.

Done. Just noticed but you typed Niblex instead of Nibelx, so we invited the wrong guy :p And yeah, if you just started, you can delete your character and create a new one on SBI. If you want to keep your stuff, just put them in your bank since the items there don't get deleted, and your name will be reserved for you for 24 hours so you can create a new char with it. Besides, guild invites are account wide, so your new character will be free to represent GAF!

Mine01

Done. Just noticed but you typed Niblex instead of Nibelx, so we invited the wrong guy :p And yeah, if you just started, you can delete your character and create a new one on SBI. If you want to keep your stuff, just put them in your bank since the items there don't get deleted, and your name will be reserved for you for 24 hours so you can create a new char with it. Besides, guild invites are account wide, so your new character will be free to represent GAF!

Oh didnt know i could just start a new character o:, well i guess i'll have to do it lol. Thx for the info!.

edit: wait do i need to delete all my characters to start on a new world?.

Zeroth

Oh didnt know i could just start a new character o:, well i guess i'll have to do it lol. Thx for the info!.

edit: wait do i need to delete all my characters to start on a new world?.

Yeah, once your account is clear of characters, you can create a new one in any server. If you prefer to keep your characters, just pay the transfer fee (transferring is account wide)

Awesome. Although $10 is pretty pricey for that convenience lol

Stolen from reddit:

Unlimited axe at '163g 80s' is equal to 4095 Orichalcum Logging Axes or 409,500 uses.
That's (at 3 uses a tree) 136,500 trees and non stop cutting trees would take about 227.5 hours of non-stop cutting.
As much as I want one, I think I'll pass at that price, upgrading a bag size on all my alts and storing a few more tools is cheaper.

So...if you're planning to be a lumberjack longterm, i guess it could be worth it lol

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Hedge posted pretty much every option you've got available. They also have a chance of dropping from champ bags/boxes so maybe the champ train in Frostgorge or just your usual dungeon runs each day as well.

T6 mats were one of the last things I had to get myself. Don't worry about it too much as it slowly builds up over time, I'd focus on map completion and getting your precursor first but the order doesn't really matter. Personal preference :)

I wish they'd give 40 T6 mats for map completion than the harvestable ones.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Didn't realize you were in EU Mine.

How far along are your characters? If you delete them, all your gold and anything in your Bank are saved, so you can retain stuff that way.

If you're too far along to want to do that, we do have an immigration fund that we use to pay for transfers for EU members. This is typically for more established accounts but we may be able to get you. Let me know if you're interested

edit: I have full unlimited tools on my Mesmer and Thief, and I... think I have the Frost Wasp on my Ele, I should anyway... maybe I'll look into one or two more. I love them, although another salvage-o-matic might not be out of the question either

Transmutation Charges are up on the sale too? Might be worth stocking up on some of those.

Korten

Banned
Just saw the blog post...

Dungeon owner removed...

THANK FUCKING CHRIST. Jesus, seriously, that's like amazing. Thanks Anet. No more someone rage quitting and kicking everyone out.

Though I will admit, while the changes they're making are nice... when the thing said: "Galore," I kind of assumed more than just 2 changes and perfomance fix.

Mine01

Yeah, once your account is clear of characters, you can create a new one in any server. If you prefer to keep your characters, just pay the transfer fee (transferring is account wide)

Mhh.. can I keep my money/karma? or are they gonne too? i have like 255k of karma and 30 or so gold. I know it isn't that much but its better than nothing.

Well Mik, it's a bit more complex than just removing one thing or another

Of course. And I even said, they'd have to adjust the voting system to compensate for the new situation. It's not like this situation hasn't happened before (WoW has no dungeon ownership, it all boils down to a voting system, and somehow it's survived. Yes, people still troll the system. There is no untrollable system. If ArenaNet wanted to stop all trolling, forever, they may as well have bots play the game for us.)

But you have to admit, it is funny. Years of screaming "remove instance ownership", and the instant they do, screams of "put it back put it back!".

Yeah. Not that funny, I guess.

I do find it kind of sad that the first thing anyone thinks about with the new system, is how badly they will be abused because of it. Very telling of the mindset that's been fostered. Very little "wow, this is a great change because it solves X and Y", and mostly "this is a horrible change because it introduces Z". The culture now isn't to celebrate what the changes provide, but to lament the new ways in which people will hurt us on the internet by abusing the system. I don't blame ArenaNet for people who abuse the system. I blame the people abusing the system.

Meanwhile, what do we care? We don't pug, we run with GAF to avoid this problem, right?

Just look at people nitpicking over the wording of the article title. Hundreds of posts, complaining about the use of a word, because the content of the article didn't match up to the hype they imaged from the word "galore". It's pathetic, and it's not the kind of culture I approve of. But that kind of culture is okay, for some reason, because it's part of the "truth speaking negative brigade", who are clearly the knights of justice in a world where ArenaNet exists only to oppress the masses.

At least, that's the picture being painted.

Moondrop

Banned
Culture, in all its manifestations, is to me a "de facto" phenomenon. It simply is, and we choose to participate in it or not. I don't understand the seeming link between its existence and some form of approval of this relentless negativity. The official forums are essentially herding pens for these mouth breathers, and if I had my way reddit would be burned to the ground. But nor do I approve of the GAF OT philosophy of criticizing culture, particularly American, as if they stand above it or apart.

Grudy

Of course. And I even said, they'd have to adjust the voting system to compensate for the new situation. It's not like this situation hasn't happened before (WoW has no dungeon ownership, it all boils down to a voting system, and somehow it's survived. Yes, people still troll the system. There is no untrollable system. If ArenaNet wanted to stop all trolling, forever, they may as well have bots play the game for us.)

But you have to admit, it is funny. Years of screaming "remove instance ownership", and the instant they do, screams of "put it back put it back!".

Yeah. Not that funny, I guess.

I do find it kind of sad that the first thing anyone thinks about with the new system, is how badly they will be abused because of it. Very telling of the mindset that's been fostered. Very little "wow, this is a great change because it solves X and Y", and mostly "this is a horrible change because it introduces Z". The culture now isn't to celebrate what the changes provide, but to lament the new ways in which people will hurt us on the internet by abusing the system. I don't blame ArenaNet for people who abuse the system. I blame the people abusing the system.

Meanwhile, what do we care? We don't pug, we run with GAF to avoid this problem, right?

Just look at people nitpicking over the wording of the article title. Hundreds of posts, complaining about the use of a word, because the content of the article didn't match up to the hype they imaged from the word "galore". It's pathetic, and it's not the kind of culture I approve of. But that kind of culture is okay, for some reason, because it's part of the "truth speaking negative brigade", who are clearly the knights of justice in a world where ArenaNet exists only to oppress the masses.

At least, that's the picture being painted.

The feature is indeed great and I'm sure people are very appreciative of it, but in this case, it's also taking away something in the form of opener protection and sadly people tend to look at the negatives first before anything.

And I run with pugs. No, I don't like it >_>. Especially when they're first timers without saying anything.

Internet communities are just the worst in every MMO I played (mainly the game's forums, but sometimes it extends beyond that). One look at the EU WvW tournament thread and you'd think the majority of the game is played by 10 year olds.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger

As awesome as GAFGuild is, I still rely on PUG's for fractals and dungeons.

Last night me and a friend did a fractal run with PUG's. We have folks drop in and out all through out. No big deal, until Mai Trinn. None of our pugs could do the dodge the fire sections. Every single time out of 10 tries they would die and me and my friend couldn't carry until the end.

So we kicked our entire team. I kinda felt horrible. Until the new guys came in and we breezed the boss.

If the new system forces me and my friend to put up with crap players (we really tried to help them out, tried giving tips, reviving countless times, everything) then we're not gonna be as happy or as willing to play with PUG's any more. Which is gonna reduce what we play and how much we play.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
As awesome as GAFGuild is, I still rely on PUG's for fractals and dungeons.

Last night me and a friend did a fractal run with PUG's. We have folks drop in and out all through out. No big deal, until Mai Trinn. None of our pugs could do the dodge the fire sections. Every single time out of 10 tries they would die and me and my friend couldn't carry until the end.

So we kicked our entire team. I kinda felt horrible. Until the new guys came in and we breezed the boss.

If the new system forces me and my friend to put up with crap players (we really tried to help them out, tried giving tips, reviving countless times, everything) then we're not gonna be as happy or as willing to play with PUG's any more. Which is gonna reduce what we play and how much we play.
I don't see how the new system would do that, exactly. The situation you've described seems really neither here nor there with removal of the "instance owner" concept. especially if they don't change the voting aspect everything you just described will essentially stay the same.

suppose it's all primarily an issue for people selling dungeon runs, but I guess some adaptation for that process was always going to be necessary. I run with PUGs plenty, but just generally don't run in groups where I imagine that kind of thing to be a problem. If it says zerker-only or so I stay away, and I always try to communicate a bit when first entering (just friendly greetings, asking if anyone hasn't done the path, etc), and if no one is responding I just leave. I've had plenty of people leave groups (either ragequit or something less dramatic) but I've never been kicked.

Levyne

Banned
See, this is where being a ranger is the best. Jerkfaces will automatically leave without saying anything once they see the pawprint while nice people will stay because they don't mind. Instant filter.

FYI: I run pug dungeons 90% of the time, and only dungeon with gaf 10% of the time. And the upcoming changes don't bother me in the least. But I guess I'm not instantly fatalistic about any changes, until I actually see them in game.

But nor do I approve of the GAF OT philosophy of criticizing culture, particularly American, as if they stand above it or apart.

I'm not an American. *dances* :p

See, this is where being a ranger is the best. Jerkfaces will automatically leave without saying anything once they see the pawprint while nice people will stay because they don't mind. Instant filter.

Best is when ppl complain about rangers in the party for a dungeon and its the rangers that end up saving their butts when they do something stupid :p

Mxrz

Love all the changes.

I pug most of the time, and I refuse to do a fractal pug unless I open for this very reason. The voting system will receive some changes too, I'm sure. Either that or ANet needs to get very serious about coming down on the abuse.

Tough titty for the dungeon sellers. Its an aspect I'm not fond of, and i think it diminishes the game a great deal. Hated it in the first game. Hated it here. People can still solo dungeons, the challenge is there. Just no more profiting from other people's laziness.

What's the best way to get t6 mats?
Laurels were how I got most of mine. I had terrible luck upgrading T5. The 10 clover recipe *can* be very nice, but it is a gamble and will eat up most of your karma fast. I used it towards the end, and I'm not really sure if I came out ahead or not.

So we kicked our entire team. I kinda felt horrible. Until the new guys came in and we breezed the boss..

Don't want to bust your chops, but that is a hard sell. I've had to (slowly) solo Mai Trin more than once cause of similar reasons. But the fractal rewards are never going to be worth ruining other people's days, or opening yourself up to lfg abuse reports.

My friends seem to be in a ranger phase. So when we pug we get other rangers. To be honest, its not noticeably slower than most pugs I join. Just be nice to get people off some of those signets.

q4Ys2a1.png

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
pretty reasonable. hopefully it's in the works for before the end of the year.

you have been weighed,
you have been measured.
100 of you were found wanting.

Welcome to the new world.

Anno

Think I've found a pretty good test to see if you're an alcoholic (I am):

1. Determine that your current bag of recyclables is about 25% full
2. Look at the stack of cans and bottles next to your computer
3. Decide to play it safe and get a new bag

WoodenPotatoes: Four years ago... : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Wn4wAOZmQ

Really cool video. A few things I didn't knew.

The one thing I really think could have been cool was the grow-your-dye-in-a-pot-in-your-home-instance! But I probably am day dreaming about some crazy harvest moon style concept were I can use my katana to cut the grass and make my own farmers market and ban charrs from entering and then get evicted from my own home instance just to.. but yeah you get the idea.

Slightly Live

Dirty tag dodger
Don't want to bust your chops, but that is a hard sell. I've had to (slowly) solo Mai Trin more than once cause of similar reasons. But the fractal rewards are never going to be worth ruining other people's days, or opening yourself up to lfg abuse reports.

I rarely ever kick anyone who isn't AFK without explanation for 10+ mins.

I believe the case I described was unique - how many wipes must someone accept before kicking other players is fair? 5? 10? 20? 100?

Me and my friend could not solo (or duo) Mai Trin, otherwise we would have. These players could not do the content despite our repeated attempts at help. We had wasted more than an extra hour trying to beat a simple fractal, essentially because of these lesser skilled players who were ruining the experience.

There was no intention of ruining their day just for a fractal reward. I just don't believe it was fair on my friend and I having to put up with them. They had broken armour pieces, no repair canisters and no revive orbs.

So I picked this up because it was 50% off, and I wanted to play an RPG. So far Im enjoying experimenting with the different classes. I have an elemtlist, and a guardian, by of which is below level 10. Right now, Im just doing random quests, and some story stuff. I still feel like Im missing a bunch of stuff. So maybe it would be helpful if you guys told me what you liked to do in the game. Also, this is my first MMO ever. So concepts like raiding, and auction houses are foreign to me

So I picked this up because it was 50% off, and I wanted to play an RPG. So far Im enjoying experimenting with the different classes. I have an elemtlist, and a guardian, by of which is below level 10. Right now, Im just doing random quests, and some story stuff. I still feel like Im missing a bunch of stuff. So maybe it would be helpful if you guys told me what you liked to do in the game. Also, this is my first MMO ever. So concepts like raiding, and auction houses are foreign to me

Take it slow, enjoy the sights. Don't be in a rush to get anywhere, there's no pressing need to get to max level. Do your Personal Story where you can, and if you find yourself too low level for it, go explore the starter zones some more (you don't have to stick to the one you begin in, you can go to the other racial starter zones via Lion's Arch). Harvest everything you see. Complete the Hearts you come across. If you find a Dynamic Event happening (you'll know them when you see them), follow it. It might result in several chaining events.

If you have any immediate questions, and you're in the GAF guild, ask and I'm sure someone will be able to help.

spiritfox

There's no structured path to follow in GW2. From the start, you can just ignore the story and do whatever you want, or you can follow it rigidly if that's your thing. So just go out and try whatever, run around doing hearts and events that pop up, or even jump into PvP, since everyone is equalized there. I known some people on GAF that has levelled a toon to 80 just by playing PvP.

GW2 does not have raids in the traditional sense. There are dungeons and world bosses though. Dungeons open at level 30, and world bosses will pop up around various maps at set times. If want to try a world boss, you can ask around to see when the next one is spawning, or check gw2timers for their timings. There is one in each starting zone, so I recommend you do one of those first.

AH is just a marketplace where players can buy and sell stuff. Press O and click on the scales to search for stuff to buy, or the stack of coins to sell stuff you have. It's a good place to make money if you know what you're doing, but you can lose money too, just like stock trading :p

As always, ask in guild chat if you have any questions. No question is stupid, unless you're just spamming Arah.

Complistic

I rarely ever kick anyone who isn't AFK without explanation for 10+ mins.

I believe the case I described was unique - how many wipes must someone accept before kicking other players is fair? 5? 10? 20? 100?

I personally go with 5, if there is no sign of improvement. After that I either leave or form alliances to shed the dead weight.

Talking about pugs mind you. Ive only ever had to leave a gaf party once and would never kick guildies for any reason.

WoodenPotatoes: Four years ago... : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4Wn4wAOZmQ

Really cool video. A few things I didn't knew.

The one thing I really think could have been cool was the grow-your-dye-in-a-pot-in-your-home-instance! But I probably am day dreaming about some crazy harvest moon style concept were I can use my katana to cut the grass and make my own farmers market and ban charrs from entering and then get evicted from my own home instance just to.. but yeah you get the idea.

657 hearts? they must have removed a lot of them, because in every maps there are a lot of gaps where you put a heart, or where one might have belong, so happy it wasn't 657 hearts, it was tedious going after 100% map completion with 301, imagine 657...

pretty reasonable. hopefully it's in the works for before the end of the year.

you have been weighed,
you have been measured.
100 of you were found wanting.

Welcome to the new world.

I got that reference and then had to check to make sure I wasn't culled.

So does Troll rank in the guild mean you are automatically disqualified from participating in the lottery?

Katoki

657 hearts? they must have removed a lot of them, because in every maps there are a lot of gaps where you put a heart, or where one might have belong, so happy it wasn't 657 hearts, it was tedious going after 100% map completion with 301, imagine 657...

When I think about it now, I might be okay with 657 so long as long as it wasn't repeats of the same activities somewhere else since it'd be interesting to see what every little nook and cranny has in store. I just think for the sake of sanity, they'd make it like.. you need some number out of the total hearts on this map to count towards completion. I don't know what the average hearts per map is right now.

Katoki

Was Orr ever planned to have Hearts? Or has it always centered around dynamic events?

I was always under the impression that this game was supposed to have no hearts. The only problem was that people needed to be pointed in some direction or another or they'd be bored and useless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom