• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

spiritfox

kMu9hQ7.jpg

Best fox

Best mini

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Guys, I don't know if anyone will actually have any ideas for me here, but:

There was this thread made on the official forums about resetting hearts every month and tying them to dailies (which I do NOT think is a good idea). Anthony Ordon actually replied to that thread and said:

Anthony Ordon said:
The intent of the Renown Heart system was originally to help players find event content. They also provide a decent method for us to give the player some context and awareness of what’s going on in the area. There are probably a few issues in that design which we could discuss. We could also let it suffice to say that hearts do not make the best repeatable content the game has to offer.

On the topic of keeping players engaged with open world content, I think this goal may be for more approachable from a different angle. Consider Dry Top, which has no hearts. Players on that map are participating in events all the time, largely on the premise that each event contributes to both map-level and personal-level goals. This gives me the notion that with a little help at the system level, events can and should be the bulk of repeatable open world content in Tyria.

I’d be very interested in hearing your thoughts on that.
This is so specifically tied to the idea that I fleshed out for the open world months ago that it has made me sort of frantic to make sure I've done everything I can to get it in front of the right pairs of eyes.

Anyone who didn't happen to see it: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106037510&postcount=16569

Or in official forum flavor: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...Adventure-in-the-Open-World/first#post3827855

The elevator pitch is: every unique event you complete in a zone earns you one more silver than the one before, so that you build up a sort of streak the more events you do. Meanwhile, repeating the same identical events would reward nothing. There are a lot of reasons this beats the existing system event outside of the increased potential for gold, but I go into all of that in those posts.

This wouldn't need to apply to Dry Top, as it already has its own internal progression that encourages players to do as many unique events as possible. But so much awesome, fun content is being ignored in the open world in the kind of repeatable sense that Anthony is talking about.

I posted a reply in that thread about hearts to link to the thread I made on this, but
If anybody has any other ideas for getting this out there let me know. :p

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
The official forums are sometimes rife with stupid stuff. You even got people complaining why there's a title/AP for crafting duplicate legendaries.

Why would anyone want to deny SAB to others?

Hawk, your idea is great and I think it would give me another thing to do from day to day and not always just world bosses and dungeons.

I am all about exploring the world.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls

Morokh

Guys, I don't know if anyone will actually have any ideas for me here, but:

There was this thread made on the official forums about resetting hearts every month and tying them to dailies (which I do NOT think is a good idea). Anthony Ordon actually replied to that thread and said:

This is so specifically tied to the idea that I fleshed out for the open world months ago that it has made me sort of frantic to make sure I've done everything I can to get it in front of the right pairs of eyes.

Anyone who didn't happen to see it: http://neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=106037510&postcount=16569

Or in official forum flavor: https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/for...Adventure-in-the-Open-World/first#post3827855

The elevator pitch is: every unique event you complete in a zone earns you one more silver than the one before, so that you build up a sort of streak the more events you do. Meanwhile, repeating the same identical events would reward nothing. There are a lot of reasons this beats the existing system event outside of the increased potential for gold, but I go into all of that in those posts.

This wouldn't need to apply to Dry Top, as it already has its own internal progression that encourages players to do as many unique events as possible. But so much awesome, fun content is being ignored in the open world in the kind of repeatable sense that Anthony is talking about.

I posted a reply in that thread about hearts to link to the thread I made on this, but
If anybody has any other ideas for getting this out there let me know. :p

Saw that this morning and really like the base idea, i'm trying to put something together that makes some sense to post there as well.

Disappointed they won't give out the improved story and level rewards for old lvl 80s.

Kinda a kick in the balls for us veterans, since my 4 alts got it all done.
(and I know some people got every class fully levelled)

Shanlei91

yea, i mean you cant do the rally thing till level 5 lol

That sounds horrifying. One of the best parts of the personal story is that it gets you invested in the character and the world. From the start, you do it and see the quest beacons showing you where to go next, having you enter the main cities and go deeper into the wilds. You're told about the evils of the world and introduced to the idea of your destiny as opposed to just blindly killing wolves. It's a far more organic way of pointing a player towards new content than what they described in that post. When you see "next step in the story is 3 levels higher than me" you then attempt the hearts, etc, thus realizing the joys of exploration. As a natural evolution, the player experiences the other parts of the game and slowly the story takes a backseat until by story's end, you have fallen in love with the rest of the game and have no problem with your personal story ending.

What they outlined sounds very robotic and arcadey. Also lol at "rallying is confusing!" So now, at level 5 a player will go "Whaaaaat I'm still alive? What is this sorcery?!"

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
it frustrates me quite alot i returned last month and now i missed out lol

Jira

The hand-holding feature for people who do not like the game to hopefully get them to like it.

Yep, really this is what it boils down to. It's structure for those who didn't like the un-structured part of GW2 and quit because of it. Whether or not this will bring those people back is another question entirely.

Yep, really this is what it boils down to. It's structure for those who didn't like the un-structured part of GW2 and quit because of it. Whether or not this will bring those people back is another question entirely.
I hope it makes them see what we all see in the game but I don't have very high hopes that it will.

I am interested in starting a new character once this comes out to see how it will work.

Trey

If anything, GW2 should be less structured. No more levels, no more stats. Anarchy, riot!

Jira

If anything, GW2 should be less structured. No more levels, no more stats. Anarchy, riot!

I completely agree and a fair amount of devs agreed too during development. Problem is they were outvoted and I think it was largely due to wanting to appeal to a specific demographic that MUST have that number there (which is stupid I mean it's a freaking NUMBER). There were no levels during early development

I'd like to imagine they're making all these low level changes and improvements because they're just about to announce an expansion soon, which will attract new blood in the game.

(one can dream...)

Shanlei91

I completely agree and a fair amount of devs agreed too during development. Problem is they were outvoted and I think it was largely due to wanting to appeal to a specific demographic that MUST have that number there (which is stupid I mean it's a freaking NUMBER). There were no levels during early development

I'm interested to see how that works out in Everquest Next. Will it be revolutionary and genius or make players feel bleh.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
That sounds horrifying. One of the best parts of the personal story is that it gets you invested in the character and the world. From the start, you do it and see the quest beacons showing you where to go next, having you enter the main cities and go deeper into the wilds. You're told about the evils of the world and introduced to the idea of your destiny as opposed to just blindly killing wolves. It's a far more organic way of pointing a player towards new content than what they described in that post. When you see "next step in the story is 3 levels higher than me" you then attempt the hearts, etc, thus realizing the joys of exploration. As a natural evolution, the player experiences the other parts of the game and slowly the story takes a backseat until by story's end, you have fallen in love with the rest of the game and have no problem with your personal story ending.
I had a very different experience with the personal story, but the alterations here are definitely aimed at people other than you and I anyway. I heard a whole lot of complains about something that you identify as a virtue- people completing a story quest and then not being able to do the next one because it was too hard and then asking if they "had to go grind" to continue. And in response there was a bit of confusion in trying to explain how to prioritize (or not) the PS quests. So I think the idea is that now if you have a personal story quest available to you, you'll be able to complete it, which for a brand new player that did have that original complaint, does make sense.

I hope it makes them see what we all see in the game but I don't have very high hopes that it will.

I am interested in starting a new character once this comes out to see how it will work.
My necro and ranger will get to experience this stuff, I'm interested to see how it goes as well. There's a bit of vagueness in the "pointer" system, "one clear suggested location to guide players to exciting content," that could point toward all kinds of stuff and I have no clue what it will prioritize. But, it also could be fun to have a sort of optional goal at all times that doesn't care how long you take to get to it.
This is of course what I would prefer, but I think their data shows them that taking this approach wouldn't have been able to appeal to quite as broad a range of players.

I truly believe that all of these things they are trying to teach new players, they could've done with 10 to 15 new personal story steps that are purely tutorials which teach you about gw2, even how to use tp. they can be skipped if you're on your second character.

Jira

I'm interested to see how that works out in Everquest Next. Will it be revolutionary and genius or make players feel bleh.

I mean there's already MMOs with no levels, but EQN does work differently than even those. In most MMOs you just get a skill point after doing stuff and you can spend it on whatever direction you want. From what we know about EQN, you'll level up your "Tiers" through completing stuff in the game like collecting a full Tier 1 armor set to go to Tier 2. Think of it like a line in Tetris where you need to fill up the whole first row before the 2nd one can start. We don't know everything that you'll have to do to move through Tiers, but I'm pretty sure you'll have to complete a bunch of things before moving into subsequent Tiers.

Morokh

I truly believe that all of these things they are trying to teach new players, they could've done with 10 to 15 new personal story steps that are purely tutorials which teach you about gw2, even how to use tp. they can be skipped if you're on your second character.

But then it feels like a long ass tutorial, and in this day and age who really goes through that ?

Trey

This is of course what I would prefer, but I think their data shows them that taking this approach wouldn't have been able to appeal to quite as broad a range of players.

It would be dope if Anet had this leveling system in place, but once you reached the level cap you became Ascended, and all of your stats were ascended level across the board. The standardization would approximate the effect of having no levels and stats, with the added benefit of being comfortable to certain players who do want levels and stats in the leveling process. Anet can have their cake and eat it, too. They could even add "hard mode" versions to dungeons that are specifically designed around the ascended level.

Obvious downsides to this being implemented in the game would be the trading post market being destabilized.

Hedge

Wow, key farming really got hit hard. That sucks, I really enjoyed doing that with my sister. What the hell is Arena Net doing? All these "features" sounds like a lesser-version of what is currently there. :/

Shanlei91

I had a very different experience with the personal story, but the alterations here are definitely aimed at people other than you and I anyway. I heard a whole lot of complains about something that you identify as a virtue- people completing a story quest and then not being able to do the next one because it was too hard and then asking if they "had to go grind" to continue. And in response there was a bit of confusion in trying to explain how to prioritize (or not) the PS quests. So I think the idea is that now if you have a personal story quest available to you, you'll be able to complete it, which for a brand new player that did have that original complaint, does make sense.

In all honesty, I was basing my rant above from watching my gf play the game to 80 the last two weeks. She completely adored the personal story, and was legit excited to get to the next set piece. I never made a Sylvari so even I got hooked as I saw Trahaearn and mention of a greater destiny, etc. I saw as it got her hooked into the mythology and also took note of how it then drove her from point to point. She gradually went from "hearts are boring" to becoming a map completionist because of the stuff the story was leading her towards. She went from not being used to MMOs to loving it and I think the personal story helped bridge the allure of single player to multiplayer taste. But having it locked away for 10 levels may have left her disliking the game for those first 5 or so hours.

...At launch my personal story was glitched so I've never completed it because I kind of lost interest as result. I ended up leveling up from walking Dolyaks around. #WorstPlayer

Complistic

Wow, key farming really got hit hard. That sucks, I really enjoyed doing that with my sister. What the hell is Arena Net doing? All these "features" sounds like a lesser-version of what is currently there. :/

Frankly I'm shocked they didn't just ban key farmers. They've banned others for less manipulative activities.

Hedge

Frankly I'm shocked they didn't just ban key farmers. They've banned others for less manipulative activities.

How is it manipulative? You're just doing your personal story up til level 10 and starting over. It's not exploiting anything, and it was fun to see if you could beat your own time. I don't see the harm, other than bringing down the prices of Black Lion Weapons, which I don't mind at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom