• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

dogfinal4zotq.gif

*sigh*

might try to solo ac story again before bed tonight. the lovers are trouble but if I can figure out that fight it will be a breeze

I was going to show off and be all "look at what I bet I can do," but this is so messy I'm not sure I can be too proud of it, and I'm not dedicated enough to go back and try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7Lv5vxXn0

I forgot to wait for my banner cooldown to reset, and then I did dumb stuff like interrupt Hundred Blades to use the Signet of Rage. It just turns into button mashing as soon as the fight starts, and any concept of skill rotations gets tossed out the window.

AC is so much easier alone that CM was. I should have started with it. :(

ZenVolta

Iv been away from GW2 for about a year-ish. I log in to see that Lions Arch has been nuked and more tool tips then you can shake a stick at.

My question is what do I need to be doing as a lvl80 Guardian?

swnny

Looking at this:
Performance Updates

We‘re always working on the performance of the game with every update, but we have a big batch of improvements coming in this feature pack. We’ve changed the way many of the underlying systems work, making them more cost-effective, which will reduce how often players will be seeing issues caused by performance. This is most notable in large combat situations like WvW and at the PvE world boss events. These improvements affect both the server and client performance, so in these situations, you should see increased frame rates as well!
https://www.guildwars2.com/en/news/september-2014-feature-pack-improvements-galore/

I'm really interested in what exactly can we expect in different parts of the game. Like how much more FPS in large WvW or boss battles, will loading times be shortened? What about the culling, will it improve as well? Will the CPU bottlenecking be fixed and with that the overall game performance in the open world?
Anyone having additional details on that paragraph? One of the most exicting things for me in this Feature Patch and I think I'm hyping up a bit too much and will burn myself...

Mxrz

160 Inventory, woo.

Iv been away from GW2 for about a year-ish. I log in to see that Lions Arch has been nuked and more tool tips then you can shake a stick at.

Whatever you like. But probably not conditions. Gear wise, the dungeon pug meta is still all zerk all the time. WvW varies a bit, but soldiers is still solid. Not a whole lot is different between now and then. Guardian changes will be announced in about 8 hours. Probably more spirit weapon & burning stuff.

ZenVolta

Whatever you like. But probably not conditions. Gear wise, the dungeon pug meta is still all zerk all the time. WvW varies a bit, but soldiers is still solid. Not a whole lot is different between now and then. Guardian changes will be announced in about 8 hours. Probably more spirit weapon & burning stuff.

Cool, thanks. Guess Ill keep doing my story missions and world events when they pop up.

Morokh

'Need' pretty much nothing, 'Can', plenty depending on what you've already accomplished before or not.

hythloday said:
I guess this is a "back in my day we went uphill both ways" kinda statement, but I definitely feel that DLC in general has made us into a bunch of Veruca Salts with our games. With consoles, you bought the game and that was it. If you wanted more, tough, but the sequel might be out in a year or so.

I mean, I paid for GW2, and that was that. I haven't been forced to give them anything else and they've added a lot of neat stuff to the game for free. It's nice thinking about what they could possibly add and there's a lot that I'd really like them to change, too. But in the end I got what I paid for and I'm happy with it so these blog posts are just icing on an already-good cupcake for me.

The next CDI topic being about Guilds makes me pretty happy, since additions to guild missions and guild management tools have been at the top of my wishlist for a while.

There is one rule that applies to each and every video-game : There can only be X amount of content in it at a given time.
Sure you can bend this rule a bit with randomization and sandbox elements in your content, but in the end you're playing repeatedly with the same base elements.

What really blurs the line today is not 'paid' DLC as they share the same rule, but rather the continuous support that devs give through patches, even for games that were traditionally standalone, and that is rather new.
In this case it's clearly additional 'free' content, and pure bonus (assuming it's not things cut down from the retail version or anything of sorts)

When it comes to any kind of game that is designed, to be played, and to sustain the developers for say, several years, there is, and for good reason some kind of expectation for new content that comes with it, so that it doesn't end up being boring, and in that case it's something that should be done and is beneficial for both parties.

Of course, passion tends to blow those expectations completely out of proportion more often than not.

There is clearly some of that in all the drama nowadays, but beyond the absurdity of the whining, the douchery, and entitlement showcased it's easy to forget that there also is pretty legitimate concerns thrown in all this.

BraXzy

that sounds awesome dammit

Damn that sounds really cool. Bet you had a lot of fun. Harry Potter is awesome. Also GAF misses your dungeon train.

😊

It really was! The digital guide on the way round was a custom iPod Touch with videos and images from the sets and it had an interactive map with Draco Malfoys actor talking through the tour as you go. The best part was you start it off in a mini-cinema for an intro video, which ends with the three main actors saying welcome stood in front of the great hall. The screen then lifts up and the very same great hall entrance is right behind, totally geeked out hehe.

Guild is totes deder than usual the last few days.

You guys struggling without me? :p

Just started a new job on Wednesday, been too exhausted to play much in the evenings, hopefully will get some more time in this weekend. Also really want that watchwork pick...

o and fyi, potato prices has spiked 150% due to that reddit thread (rumor that anet will remove potato nodes from starting zones like they did in the Chinese version)

Retro

August 29
The Molten Alliance Mining Pick, Bone Pick, and Watchwork Mining Pick are all for sale once again! These infinite-use mining picks will never wear out and are guaranteed to work on even the rarest of ores. We’re also putting Killstreak Experience Boosters on sale for 50% off and Bag Slot Expansions for 30% off!

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
I was going to show off and be all "look at what I bet I can do," but this is so messy I'm not sure I can be too proud of it, and I'm not dedicated enough to go back and try again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tP7Lv5vxXn0

I forgot to wait for my banner cooldown to reset, and then I did dumb stuff like interrupt Hundred Blades to use the Signet of Rage. It just turns into button mashing as soon as the fight starts, and any concept of skill rotations gets tossed out the window.
You still managed to get out of the fields with 700 hp left without needing to pop your healing signet. Damn warriors :D I won't have the armor to do the fight like that, but it does give me some ideas. The main thing is after your first knockback they both just kind of stayed put and didn't get their link buff. I knocked Ralena back and Vassar just runs back up to her and they get shielded and it's a nightmare trying to seperate them once they're attacking while buffed. I actually have a new concept to try after watching that though.

It's funny, I've been trying Utility skills out while soloing that I'd never think to equip in a party. I'm being sort of stubborn and using an unconventional build on my Mesmer rather than trying to just use the weapons that make it easiest, but I am liking the challenge.
AC is so much easier alone that CM was. I should have started with it. :(
I see you left the Troll alive there ;)

Retro

If you're happy with your gear stat-wise, there's skin collecting (so you can be happy with it visually), fractals (entirely up to you how far you want to progress in them), catching up on the Living Story (though coming back late, there's a nominal fee, ~$2 an episode) and the special backpiece that comes from that. PVP now has reward tracks that allow you to earn dungeon skins and lots of convenience items, WvW is about to have a tournament on the 12th of September.

Guild Missions every Saturday at 9pm Eastern (makeups Sundays at 3pm Eastern) for commendations, dailies for laurels, level some alts and wait for Season 2 to pick back up sometime in the fall.

What about the culling, will it improve as well?

Culling has been gone for just over a year now, game wide (it's been gone in WvW since March '13).

hythloday

Not that kind of culling, Zeroth. At least I don't think that's the way he meant it. ;) The culling that was in the game that made it so a group of people would be standing in front of you, but you'd only see 1/4 of them. It made it look like Lion's Arch was a ghost town. (Before the Scarleteering)

Zeroth

Not that kind of culling, Zeroth. At least I don't think that's the way he meant it. ;) The culling that was in the game that made it so a group of people would be standing in front of you, but you'd only see 1/4 of them. It made it look like Lion's Arch was a ghost town. (Before the Scarleteering)

Now you ruined it :(

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
He decided to spawn at the bottom of the stairs instead of the entrance to Nente's room, so I wasn't in any particular hurry to fight it in the more confined space, especially with ledges to get knocked off of.
I got him in the spider queen room, which is admittedly the best of the spots to see him spawn.

Skim the OT1, count how many people ask where to go and what to do. Count the complaints about how 'grindy' the game is from people who have only been doing hearts. It's been one of the most consistent complaints about the game, so having the game constantly give you a goal is going to help with that.

I'm also not a fan of extended tutorials or hand-holding, but considering the nature of MMOs there has to be some way to teach players how to dodge, swap weapons, etc. We know from interviews and dev posts that some players never spend trait points or even use utility skills, and I imagine that for those people nothing short of a giant, full-screen flashing sign that says "LOOK OVER HERE! NEW THING!" will get the message across. Tooltips are too easily dismissed and ignored, and having them all sort of pop up in the first hour or so of play can lead to a little bit of fatigue, I guess. So... spacing them out a bit and making them seem like big rewards will probably help.

Remember that a lot of us were following the game pretty heavily years before launch, played the shit out of every BWE and dove into headstart fully aware of what to do. I also consider GAFers to be experienced gamers just by virtue of their level of involvement (it follows that if you want to post on a gaming forum, you probably play a lot of games). We're extremely poor judges of what the game needs in terms of tutorials, that's all.

I can actually speak directly to this. I got my fiance' the game and we started playing a couple days ago. She has never played an MMO outside of WoW for about an hour or so when I let her create a character. We both sat down at our PCs and started playing at the same time, I was in the starter zone waiting while she was still fixing her hair.

I had to explain how to turn the mouse and we did our first jumping puzzle in the Norn starting area which she was having a bit of trouble with. I then showed her how to map her keys because "Heal" and stuff will really come in handy and explained how to read tooltips and the popup stuff you can 'click' on to open it up, it's not just text. She didn't even see me whisper her "show me your boobs".

I forgot about traits and skillpoints and I have an 80 Guardian from launch when we all played together ... so honestly, they NEED the IN YOUR FACE stuff. It will desperately help to get people that aren't into MMOs and people who have been a way for a while (me) back into the swing of things.

Granted I've played MMOs before so I "get it" so to speak, but she doesn't. She didn't know what I mean when I said "aggro" and she died in one of the tunnels because she tried to run through it ... "that's aggro, haha". She didn't laugh.

She didn't get the fight for your life screen, etc ... now, she's not new to games, we got pretty far in Monster Hunter, she's played all the Final Fantasy's, way further than me in Bravely Default and loved the shit out of Skyrim ... but there is seriously no game on consoles that 2 people can play together with the freedom of an MMO ... so it's been training steps for sure.

Honestly, I think "MMO" type games are going to be the main future of gaming in general and I think the tutorials and training are a bit much for people transitioning from the more single player experiences and need to be refined. Too much is "assumed" like even the chat! People coming to MMO's don't even know how to 'talk' to other players.

I liked the changes made but that's coming from somebody who is also "new again" to the game so leveling up is bringing a lot of "OH YEAH" moments as well as "WTF is that?" moments. I do think they should be optional, like how when games have difficulty settings you could have

I have never played an MMO
I am returning to the game
I am so fucking good I should design the game
I am on the forums so much that they know my name

type difficulties that aren't the actual game difficulty, but the level of IN YO FACE helpful tips. Even small videos of stuff would be great that you could click on. Don't understand the revive thing? Click on a helpful tutorial!

But, that said, we spent 2 hours running around doing quests and leveling up and she kept asking questions while we were going to bed, so hook, line and sinker! I just told her not to ditch me for some online romance, gear isn't everything!

I can actually speak directly to this. I got my fiance' the game and we started playing a couple days ago. She has never played an MMO outside of WoW for about an hour or so when I let her create a character. We both sat down at our PCs and started playing at the same time, I was in the starter zone waiting while she was still fixing her hair.

I had to explain how to turn the mouse and we did our first jumping puzzle in the Norn starting area which she was having a bit of trouble with. I then showed her how to map her keys because "Heal" and stuff will really come in handy and explained how to read tooltips and the popup stuff you can 'click' on to open it up, it's not just text. She didn't even see me whisper her "show me your boobs".

I forgot about traits and skillpoints and I have an 80 Guardian from launch when we all played together ... so honestly, they NEED the IN YOUR FACE stuff. It will desperately help to get people that aren't into MMOs and people who have been a way for a while (me) back into the swing of things.

Granted I've played MMOs before so I "get it" so to speak, but she doesn't. She didn't know what I mean when I said "aggro" and she died in one of the tunnels because she tried to run through it ... "that's aggro, haha". She didn't laugh.

She didn't get the fight for your life screen, etc ... now, she's not new to games, we got pretty far in Monster Hunter, she's played all the Final Fantasy's, way further than me in Bravely Default and loved the shit out of Skyrim ... but there is seriously no game on consoles that 2 people can play together with the freedom of an MMO ... so it's been training steps for sure.

Honestly, I think "MMO" type games are going to be the main future of gaming in general and I think the tutorials and training are a bit much for people transitioning from the more single player experiences.

I liked the changes made but that's coming from somebody who is also "new again" to the game so leveling up is bringing a lot of "OH YEAH" moments as well as "WTF is that?" moments.

But, that said, we spent 2 hours running around doing quests and leveling up and she kept asking questions while we were going to bed, so hook, line and sinker! I just told her not to ditch me for some online romance, gear isn't everything!
It would be interesting to see if after Sept 9th the game is easier for her to understand. Let us know.

http://prime.paxsite.com/schedule/panel/the-future-of-online-games-mmorpg.com do pax panels get streamed usually?

hythloday

Productive morning.

Started a new Norn Ranger, used a level 20 scroll taking up space in my bank, tamed a Raven, named it Holden Cawfield and finished the newbie area in Wayfarer Foothills.

Welp, I think I earned MY diet coke break.

swnny

Culling has been gone for just over a year now, game wide (it's been gone in WvW since March '13).

I was referring more to the options about character limit/quality which control the amount of detail or complete character culling/not rendering (only nameplates being visible).
Like will the upcoming performance changes/updates help us go higher with said settings and not have unplayable FPS.
Also I'm interested in the inner workings and what exactly on the engine they have improved and optimized, but I doubt I will ever know. :D Hopes up we will see way better performance overall across the game.

Mxrz

Yeah, more spirit weapons stuff. Not ungrateful. Just annoyed mace/torch/shield can't get any tweaks. I'd really like to play something different.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
mesmerssss

Are there any traits that reduce cooldown on utility skills that summon clones? just illusionist's celerity?

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
lazy mobile paste. the clone death nerf is a bit of a substantial hit to my scepter build, but the torment is pure buff. who knows how it'll shake out.

Mesmer
Lots of feedback about adding Torment to Scepter #1 attack.
Normal PU build will only apply 5-6 stacks of Torment if you spam Scepter autoattack over and over.
There are 3 traits that activate on clone deaths (Deliberating Dissipation, Crippling Dissipation, and Confusing Combants) – The effects of these traits can now be blocked, dodged or blinded. Previously it was applying them no matter what, even if you are invulnerable or dodging.
Deliberating Dissipation – Bleeding reduced from 3 stacks for 5 seconds to 2 stacks for 4 seconds so a bit of shave there to hopefully address PU mesmers.
Prismatic Understanding – Able to apply swiftness for 3s and Might for 5s in addition to the other boons – Less chance for the same boons to stack multiple times since there is now a larger pool of boons.

Guardian
Traits
Elite Focus – In addition to current functionality, this trait will now grant stability while using Tome skills. Each Tome will gain stability when it gains its associated boon.
Glacial Heart – We want this trait to be used more frequently in combat. Recharge reduced to 15s, chill duration reduced from 4s to 3s
Eternal Spirit – Renamed to Expeditious Spirit – Now reduce the cooldown on activated abilities for your spirit weapons
Spirit Weapons
Spirit weapons – No longer lose your spirit weapon when you activate the command ability. Instead, they will naturally be able to use their abilities more once before dying.
Changes to Command skills for spirit weapons
Hammer of Wisdom – Now has a blast finisher when activated
Sword of Justice – Applies 5 stacks of vulnerability to all enemies struck
Shield of the Avenger – Now bounce to all ally targets and applies aegis to them.
Bow of Truth – Ground targeted and can be casted up to 1200 range
Other skills
Merificful intervention – Now a 180 radius ground targeted skill that will shadow step the Guardian to a nearby ally in the targeted area, healing allies around the Guardian. If there are no allies in the targeted area, you will not shadowstep.
Renewed Focus – Now classified as a mediation skill and will function with Mediation Mastery, Focused Mind, and Monk’s Focus.
Tome of Wrath
Conflagrate– damage increased by 10%
Judgement – Cast time reduced by 1.5s. When paired with Judge’s Fervor, this ability activates really quickly.
Tome of Courage
Purifying Ribbon – The number of conditions it removes increased from 1 to 2 on each hit

Necromancer
Traits
Last Gasp in the Soul Reaping Line – now categorized as a spectral skill and affected by spectral traits. Additionally, recharge reduced from 60s to 50s.
Unholy Sanctuary in the Death Magic Line – In addition to healing, this trait will now activate Death Shroud if you have enough Life Force when you take a lethal blow (i..e an attack that would kill you). This trait has 30s internal CD and even if your Death Shroud is on cooldown it will circumvent that cooldown.
Skills
Death Shroud - can now interact with things while in Death Shroud form. You can now rez allies or finish downed enemies.
Corrupt Boon – Cast time increased 0.25s, bringing the skill to 0.5s cast time. This change also reduces the aftercast of Corrupted Boon by 0.25s.
Signet of Vampirism – The active time of this ability has been increased from 5s to 6s.
Spectral Armor – Recharged reduced from 60s to 50s
Rending Claws – Aftercast of this ability has been reduced by 0.25s
Ghastly Claws – Damage increased by 10%
Locus Swarm – Duration of swiftness increased from 10s to 15s
Lich Form transformation reduced from 30s to 20s. Reduce its power scale to the player’s normal power scale. To compensate for this, we have increased the damage mulitipliers of the Lich abilities to as it was before.

Hedge

I'm a bit sad Lich Form was nerfed in duration. I really only use it for the cool skin, so eh.. less time to admire it. :p

Mxrz

I think I figured it out. Some people want ANet to magically cure burnout. They want content that is both "Not grindy!" yet somehow "lasts forever!" That is either going to involve some fuzzy quantum physics or some deep psychoanalytical zen.

Or Fort Aspenwood. That would work too.

forrest

formerly nacire
Anyone having trouble connecting? I cant even hit the login server now, after been dropped from client a couple times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom