• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Speculation (rumors rumors rumors) is that they left it out short this second part of Season2 because of possible expansion tie in announcement.

Or not, and Anet is being Anet again.

I would only be excited about that outcome if they say the expansion is releasing in a month or less from announcement. I don't want to take long breaks to wait for expansion.

I like the living story strategy I just don't want them to keep all the cool revels just for the last episodes.

Spyware

7M8wMUi.jpg

Mkima Brokenclaw - Necromancer
Out of those, this is my fav! :)

It remains rather crazy just how easy and effortless it is to hit max level, almost a bit too fast sometimes.
Yeah I'm having a bunch of trouble on the elementalist I'm currently leveling thanks to that. I keep outleveling my gear. As soon as I get something remotely near my level I'm suddenly 4 levels over it again... :p
And with squishy ele at lvl 50-ish it's a big problem :p

I'm down, but I refuse to use longbow. :p

Any particular reason? I mean, it'd only be for initiating anyway - and I can understand if someone prefers to play melee or up close. But is there something about longbow I'm not seeing?

Five rangers opening up on a target with Rapid Fire must be quite something.

Right now I'm debating to use either a River Drake for Lightning Breath, or getting a Reef Drake for Sonic Shriek and combining that with Runes of Perplexity - but I've no idea if runes affect the skills of pets?

A cursory search says, no, but I'm not sure if that's just old salty ranger talk, or legit. If not, Sonic Shriek still seems like a good skill to have, and the cooldown ain't bad.

Mxrz

Might've burned myself out on pvp already. Admittedly its a lot more fun with a partner and mumble going. I managed to complete the Arah track for a whopping one armor piece. Woo.

The Dungeoneer collection is making me rethink the whole grind argument. Yes, its optional. Don't have to do it. But that feels a little disingenuous given the craziness of it. The material rewards being negligible makes it more of a personal achievement. The sheer length is something else. I'm close to 6/8, and I'd still be looking at a month or two of doing every path daily.

Spyware

Thanks. I've no idea why my Necro ended up with a fire/flame theme - since it's kind of at odds with the whole green/death motif. I might change it later.
Hehe. I rarely think about the "class color" stuff, but it sorta happens anyway sometimes. For necromancers I have two green, one red, one blue/orange and one purple/pink :D

I love all of them :D
Here's the purple/pink one!

Moondrop

Banned
Any particular reason? I mean, it'd only be for initiating anyway - and I can understand if someone prefers to play melee or up close. But is there something about longbow I'm not seeing?
Longbow's new effectiveness is undisputed for power builds. Originally longbow was simply a poor weapon set I disregarded. Then every skill was steadily buffed, but it was granting longbow the stealth that rightly should've gone to shortbow- the kit that benefits from flanking- that drew my persistent ire.

More practically, I play a beastmastery build for which longbow remains a poor choice.

Right now I'm debating to use either a River Drake for Lightning Breath, or getting a Reef Drake for Sonic Shriek and combining that with Runes of Perplexity - but I've no idea if runes affect the skills of pets?

A cursory search says, no, but I'm not sure if that's just old salty ranger talk, or legit. If not, Sonic Shriek still seems like a good skill to have, and the cooldown ain't bad.
Pretty sure runes don't affect pets.

You'll find Lightning Breath to be more effective due to the range and bouncing properties. It's my drake of choice for pve, but for wvw I would recommend a marsh drake (ranged bouncing poison). I wouldn't bring a drake to pvp.

However reef drake is the best drake underwater- instant projectile reflection bubble from within which you can fire confounding projectiles.

We did AC Explorable with a four Ranger party once. Rapid Fire and Barrage arrow spam was pretty hilarious.
You and Taffer (?) had level 35 rangers and we still took down the Howling King faster than the average full 80 PUG group. The pets practically took down Spider Queen themselves while we looted on the mobs.

Longbow's new effectiveness is undisputed for power builds. Originally longbow was simply a poor weapon set I disregarded. Then every skill was steadily buffed, but it was granting longbow the stealth that rightly should've gone to shortbow- the kit that benefits from flanking- that drew my persistent ire.

Ah, I see. I'm loving the damage numbers I'm seeing from Longbow, and I don't mind the stealth being on it myself, since it kinda makes sense to me. You want to stealth while things are still far away that they'll aggro on your pet instead. And shortbow flanking comes as a result of you snaring/trapping someone, or sneaking up behind them from the longbow's stealth. Or at least, that's how I'm playing.

Strider

So I just hit level 10.

Honestly I'm liking everything so far accept for a couple things. The controls, especially the default, I thought were horrific and this game feels kinda awkward to control for me. It'll get better with time especially since I've adjusted some keys I'm sure but considering going the controller route and seeing if I like that better. Also, It sucks having to run everywhere since I don't wanna waste money early on to fast travel. Why is there no other way to move faster? seems off. I need a horse or something.

After a while the "heart" quests kinda got old and I was thinking "Am I missing something?! How the hell do I play the story?" when I finished another, hit level 10, then the personal story quest popped up. Derp. The public events are pretty cool and I've had some funny moments in chat already.

Some stuff is still way foreign to me though. I hope the game has a pretty good crafting tutorial for example because I've gathered some resources but no idea what I should be doing with them really.

But I guess I have one question. Is the "meat" of the content the end game or the journey to it, if that makes sense...? Never played an mmo before as I mentioned yesterday but the most recent recent loot based games I played it was silly to use/waste any resources before max level, since everything you did before that would just be instantly replaced and most of the content required you to be max level anyway. Does the same apply here?

All in all I can see myself putting a lot of time into this though. I made sure to use the StormBluff Isle server and I'd like to join the guild if someone would be willing to get me setup.

Levyne

Banned
Controls and saving money on waypoints is up to you but I wanted to comment on the last bit.

Don't play the game unnaturally and try to, like, hoard stuff for level 80 and then expect a very different game once you're there. Don't be like "okay, NOW I can craft and do the content and spend money". The game really isn't set up that way. Sure, there are some things that are 80 only, but nothing that requires you to limit or think too hard about how you're playing now.

As for crafting, there was a post that detailed it a bit, one sec..

edit: Here at the bottom part

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=140341513&postcount=14928

The super short version of crafting is there are 3 branches, generally.

Refinement: Turns raw mats into processed mats. Ore into ingots, logs into planks.
Parts: Each weapon or armor piece is made of two parts. A rifle is a stock and a barrel, for instance. Made with refined materials.
Inscription or Insignia: Determines the stat spread of the piece you're making. They require "fine materials" generally from monsters (like claws, blood, etc)

And then you combine them.

There's nuances I'm ignoring but I just wanted to paint the general picture.

Strider

Hoard mode disengaged lol

Between your summary and that other post I get the gist of the crafting. I was kinda expecting to acquire recipes to learn how to make an item, then combine the knowledge with materials to make the item as opposed to just refining the materials, combining them, then learning/saving the recipe. Good to know.

Levyne

Banned
Some items DO require a recipe. When I say "combine them", some of that is through the Discovery tab, where you just place the items together, or sometimes you need to buy/acquire the recipe.

Make item for first time in discovery tab -> now you know the recipe and it will show up in the crafting menu.

Or find/acquire and use the recipe sheet -> now you know the recipe and it will show up in the crafting menu.

There shall be video proof of this shortly when my computer makes the video file size reasonable.

And really, we were playing *so* sloppily, I'm shocked we didn't wipe in the tunnels at one point. We were being bounced around like crazy. And yet, we also rotflstomped... everything.

squadr0n

Installing tonight after picking it up earlier during the steam sale. Can't wait to get in with everyone and see what's up. I love the character designs and general look of the art design.

How does it fare to most current games graphically? Are their any mods I should look into too for UI?

Retro

Installing tonight after picking it up earlier during the steam sale. Can't wait to get in with everyone and see what's up. I love the character designs and general look of the art design.

How does it fare to most current games graphically? Are their any mods I should look into too for UI?

... steam sale? Guild Wars 2 isn't on steam.

Anyways, graphically it's not at the high end, but what it lacks in technical graphic power it makes up for with buckets and buckets of style. The end result is that even if it isn't giving your GPU a run for its money, the art direction knocks it out of the park.

You can get some mods like SweetFX or DarkD3 to tweak the visuals a bit, but as for UI mods or anything like that you really won't need them, even if they existed (or were allowed).

And really, we were playing *so* sloppily, I'm shocked we didn't wipe in the tunnels at one point. We were being bounced around like crazy. And yet, we also rotflstomped... everything.

There were a few times where I just walked around, randomly dropping bombs. I was even watching my cat play at one point while doing it.

Moondrop

Banned
And shortbow flanking comes as a result of you snaring/trapping someone, or sneaking up behind them from the longbow's stealth.
I know you're saying that sincerely, but the concept of using LB stealth to lead into SB flanking makes me want to put my phone on the ground and smash the screen with a brick.

Y'know, there was a time when warriors could apply a long duration stun then a rapid burst removing over half your health. Never mind that this required both a weapon swap and that the warrior be in melee range, this combination of skills was universally branded OP and the river of tears flooded all GW2 forums. Oh wait, time to take another dose of crazy pills; carry on.

@InvisibleStride, post your accountname.#### so we could invite you to the guild.

@GAFEngi dungeoneers, that was a really fun AC1. Explosions everywhere. 5 supply drops all at different locations when fighting the Spider Queen just glorious. Getting to kill the mobs that are usually skipped was great as well.

After that path1 run I also did AC Story with 2 of our new members who were level 30ish, appletoasy who was on his low level Mesmer and Ivy Chip who was on his 80 warrior. Our new members did really well and bosses went down really quick. I think they should be ready to tackle explorable soon.

I know you're saying that sincerely, but the concept of using LB stealth to lead into SB flanking makes me want to put my phone on the ground and smash the screen with a brick.

sEinEEA.png

I think you might be taking this game a litte too seriously.

this patch is so frustratingly grindier than the previous two.

I don't really see how? Can't be for Bandit Crests - those things rain down like Bloodstone Dust. Though since this last one added two armour pieaces and not just one, it does technically require twice as many as before, so I can kinda see that. They just dropped out of a chest for me, so once again I'm left with nothing to do with the damn Crests. I just end up donating them to get a TP in the base.

It's funny - every patch is accused of being grindier than the last, so by now we really should have hit such peak grind, we're still grinding for last year's patch.

I think people would be a lot happier if they didn't try to 100% an update, get all the cheevos, and the shiny armour bit reward, on the first few days. (Not saying you're doing that - just a general sentiment).

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Half of the parts you need are tied to getting BC. And then there's the bladder, you need 2! And you have RNG. And then there's an achievement reward that cannot be bought with BC.

Maybe it's because of the recent stuff that happened to me (asura mission almost cleared, until the instance owner DC'd - it's like they didn't retrofit story-related instances to function like a dungeon, and the repeated botching of challenge centaur fight) is making me a bit more stressed.

I would really recommend just holding off on trying to get the bladders until next patch, when the Bladder Extractor is added. I didn't bother with the Fangs or Tendons until the specific extractors were added, they remove ALL the RNG from trying to get them. I just run the regular Mordrem Extractor now before fighting the Breach Bosses, for the extra Crests from handing in the parts that drop.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
So I just hit level 10.

Honestly I'm liking everything so far accept for a couple things. The controls, especially the default, I thought were horrific and this game feels kinda awkward to control for me. It'll get better with time especially since I've adjusted some keys I'm sure but considering going the controller route and seeing if I like that better. Also, It sucks having to run everywhere since I don't wanna waste money early on to fast travel. Why is there no other way to move faster? seems off. I need a horse or something.

After a while the "heart" quests kinda got old and I was thinking "Am I missing something?! How the hell do I play the story?" when I finished another, hit level 10, then the personal story quest popped up. Derp. The public events are pretty cool and I've had some funny moments in chat already.

Some stuff is still way foreign to me though. I hope the game has a pretty good crafting tutorial for example because I've gathered some resources but no idea what I should be doing with them really.

But I guess I have one question. Is the "meat" of the content the end game or the journey to it, if that makes sense...? Never played an mmo before as I mentioned yesterday but the most recent recent loot based games I played it was silly to use/waste any resources before max level, since everything you did before that would just be instantly replaced and most of the content required you to be max level anyway. Does the same apply here?

All in all I can see myself putting a lot of time into this though. I made sure to use the StormBluff Isle server and I'd like to join the guild if someone would be willing to get me setup.
heya, did anyone get you in the guild yet?

at this point I'm honestly at a handicap playing with mouse and keyboard. Unless you have Win8 I sincerely encourage you to try out the controller solution, especially if you have a 360 pad. I can help set it up if you run into any trouble.

To answer more generally about your max level/where the "meat" of the game is; Guild Wars 2 is a much more casual experience than you may be used to. There's no need to rush to 80 just as there's no need to hoard things to have ready at 80. There are very few gear checks (other than having "something at your level"), content is never rendered irrelevant for progression (on my engineer, I leveled a subtantial part of 60-70 in a 1-15 zone), and to me, doing a complex jumping puzzle is just as valid a part of the endgame as tackling a level 80 dungeon or World vs World (a massive new one was just added in Tuesday's patch). It really is what you make of it. The majority of the things you can do in the game actually don't require you to be at 80; actually, there's literally nothing in the game you could not do at, for example, level 77 with decent gear, except for high level Fractals but that's not worth concerning yourself with just yet.

There are few tutorials, and while it is a more guided experience than it was at launch, generally just asking questions is the best way to figure out what you want to spend effort on. With regard to hearts, they are not the "meat" of the open world zones- don't bounce from heart to heart feeling like you have to complete one before moving on. Your progress on one is always saved. Just explore and do events as you see them- very frequently, an event will take you into the area of a heart and fill it in as you complete it. Hearts are essentially guideposts for players that were getting frustrated during initial UX tests that the game did not contain traditional hub-and-fetch questing. More advanced, high-level PvE zones like Orr and Dry Top don't have hearts at all.

I wouldn't skip out on fast travel to save money if you're trying to get somewhere quickly. I'd skip out on it because general the environment design is superb and worth exploring ;) It might be worth selling some of those resources you've collected in order to have a little more on hand to spend on upgrades and such. When you hit level 30 (and especially 35), you can join guildies to run the first dungeon, which will increase your ability to have gold on hand considerably.

Retro

I haven't found The Silverwastes to be especially grindy, but what constitutes a grind has always been entirely subjective. Some people rage out on Reddit if they have to do anything more than twice, others are happy to do the same thing for hours. It really comes down to how much fun you're having, and for me personally it's been a blast (Dragon Bash was about as grindy as I think GW2 has ever been, if you're curious).

I actually read a decent blog post about the whole Luminescent thing last night;

Jeromai said:
The Mordrem bodyparts are an obvious RNG time tax for those who cannot wait. If you choose to collect the most current body parts, you buy the green extractor and you hope RNG smiles on you. A basic understanding of probability would suggest that this gets harder the more potential parts show up on the loot table.

If you’re a little more behind, or a little more relaxed on not getting the newest shiniest thing NOW, you should eventually be able to use the white extractor and pick the part you need later, once you’re past the two weeks of the current bodypart of the fortnight.

Ditto the carapace boxes. If you need them NOW, you’re going to have to grind very intently for them, opening tons of chests or accumulating 1000 crests to buy them.

Or you can just play the content over the course of two weeks and see if you get lucky enough with drops, or worse case scenario, build up 1000 crests if you’re unlucky.

So far, I haven’t had to spend 1000 crests on any carapace pieces yet. I got two glove boxes from the Greater Nightmare Chest in the maze, and will just get the shoulder boxes from playing through the relevant chapter with multiple characters.

I am given to understand that one more armor piece in this latest update works similarly, playing through the Living Story chapter multiple times will get you the box, and the last piece is RNG from Lost Bandit Chests or through crests.

I still am not seeing the problem.

We need those chests opened, since Ascended recipes are going to come out of those now, and there has to be some kind of motivation for players to keep digging up those chests. They need shovels, so they’ll keep playing the Silverwastes events, and keep the zone functioning.

Working as intended, no?

If you hate or are now bored to tears with the Silverwastes, it’s time to go elsewhere and do something else. The only one keeping your nose to the grindstone is yourself. (source)

For what it's worth*, I haven't bought anything but keys and extraction devices with Bandit Crests. I just make sure I grab any chests I see, hit the labyrinth when it's up and hope the armor boxes drop. I'm just over 4k badges, so if at some point I don't get the piece I need I have that option (though with luck, I'll be able to just blow them on the goof-off items like the tonics and such).

(Which reminds me, I really wish we had a "Toys" wardrobe that let you select minipets, toys (balloons, magic carpet, instruments,etc.) and tonics from an account-wide menu).

I definitely fall into the "relaxed" category though, so I just don't see the need to rush when the whole Carapace set isn't even out yet (and since Wintersday will probably eat up the next update, we probably won't see it until next year). Since they keep adding new stuff to the Silverwastes and the meta event only takes about 30-40 minutes (less if you luck out and get into one that's almost done) I haven't really gotten sick of the zone yet either. I've had a few points where I'm just not in the mood to do it, so I play an alt or go do something else.

And that's kind of the point of Guild Wars 2; everything is supposed to be fun and if it isn't, you can stop. What are you missing out on if you stop the instant it starts to become a grind? An armor set for a game you've grown to despise because you forced yourself to play it? Fuck all of that noise.

squadr0n

My bad guys, not the steam sale lol, just when they had it on sale for 5$ last week. Forgot it wasn't part of the steam haul.

Making my hero now though!!

My bad guys, not the steam sale lol, just when they had it on sale for 5$ last week. Forgot it wasn't part of the steam haul.

Post you accountname.#### and one of our special members will invite you to the guild if you want.

We are on Stormbluff Isle server.

Strider

Sweet. Another noobie! Lol

I just hit level 15 today. Well have to get together and explore the world sometime. That sense of discovery ya know.

Speaking of which when I hit level 15 I was like "hmmmmm I should go see what the other cities starting zones look like..."

I got lost lol derp.

Strider

Hahaha did you get lost in Lion's Arch, or not even make it there?

I went to Lions Arch then took another portal to a place called Rata Sum.

I was like "Woah this place is cool as fuck!" Walked around a bit then Brought up the map and saw the 1-15 zone North east of the city but couldn't figure out how to get there.

I have never felt like such a noob in my entire gaming history lol I was trapped n that damn cube I swear.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom