• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a lvl 80 guardian, I havent played in about 7 months and I am so lost. My gear sucks too. Any tips? I was part of the GAF guild (my character is in one of the guild pics in the OP).

Also is playing with a pad really the best way to play?

Retro

It's been a while since I last played so I was updating the game. I can't seem to get the patch. I keep getting the "Connection error(s) detected. Retrying..." It never reconnects. This error is really annoying. Does anyone know what to do?

Let me guess; FiOS? Seems to be a reoccuring problem.

If there's a little flag in the corner of the launcher, you can try switching to another language, letting it download, and then switching back (don't worry, it'll still be in English). Works for all languages except French, I believe.

Other than that, if your anti-virus software isn't stopping it (AVG has issues with it, I've heard) and it's not firewall-related, you might just want to let it run overnight. It should keep retrying until it connects.

I have a lvl 80 guardian, I havent played in about 7 months and I am so lost. My gear sucks too. Any tips? I was part of the GAF guild (my character is in one of the guild pics in the OP).

Your gear probably isn't in the state you think it is; despite Ascended gear, Exotics are still what most people use, and even rares are fine. I'd hit up some dungeons, check the TP for cheap exotics (anything that isn't Celestial or Berserker should be okay), visit the shrines in Orr (you still have Karma, right?) or go after some world bosses (a site that displays the schedule is in the OT, under Useful Links).

Everyone who tries it seems to swear by it. I keep saying I'm going to get it all sorted out, but then I get distracted installing Dark Souls, and then it doesn't run because the port sucks and GFWL sucks and I end up getting too angry to play and end up watching MST3k on Netflix and going to bed.

Maybe this week. Bazaar with a controller could be... interesting.

SeZMehK

Let me guess; FiOS? Seems to be a reoccuring problem.

If there's a little flag in the corner of the launcher, you can try switching to another language, letting it download, and then switching back (don't worry, it'll still be in English). Works for all languages except French, I believe.

Other than that, if your anti-virus software isn't stopping it (AVG has issues with it, I've heard) and it's not firewall-related, you might just want to let it run overnight. It should keep retrying until it connects.

Yes, I am on FiOS... >.< I will give the other options a try.

BraXzy

If you're refraining from looking up videos(or reading up on) of past Living Story content, there's no need seeing as it's all in the past and is done with. In fact, it could be beneficial since then you would know the current state of affairs. However, for seasonal things like the upcoming Bazaar, I can understand holding yourself back.

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm gonna keep the releases a surprise in case they crop up again like this one. I should definitely look into living story though.

xeris

Gamepad is A way to play. I tried it and it didn't really click, but other people love it.

BraXzy

MMOs have a problem in that content takes a long time to make, is quickly devoured and then never visited again. In a traditional MMO, players would out-level a zone and never have a reason to go back. In GW2, the content is time-based instead of level-based, but the end result is still that you only see it for a short period of time and then never go back..

That's the problem with a lot of games I guess.. a lot of content, regardless of how good it is, often only gets one or two runs by a player. The way GW2 makes certain things change entirely or at least temporarily is definitely a good way to mix it up.

If you want to see it, Youtube it, but wait until after Tuesday because the Bazaar is worth seeing in person, with fresh eyes. You better tell me when you're getting on to see it, I need to vicariously visit it for the first time again.

Don't worry I won't even know how to go there. I'll wait for you to take me so you are guaranteed to be with me. When do you usually get online? :)

Retro

Yeah that's what I meant. I'm gonna keep the releases a surprise in case they crop up again like this one. I should definitely look into living story though.

You probably won't see anything else from Flame and Frost or Sky Pirates return; the dungeons from those are both Fractals now, and the bosses are Fractal Bosses. The Southsun updates, you can see the outcome by visiting Southsun when you're 80 and the actual storyline felt more like a one-off.

Clockwork Chaos and the Nightmare Tower probably won't be back; the former were world-wide invasions and the latter was a large open-world dungeon that I don't think they can bring back logistically. The Queen's Gauntlet is coming back Tuesday, but the whole Scarlet's Funhouse element won't, so you could watch that if you wanted to (not much story to tell; Scarlet showed up, blew stuff up, took prisoners, we rescued them, the end).

And of course, the whole Lion's Arch arc is done and over, so you might as well watch those. Holidays too; though they reoccur every year they often add new stuff to them (Halloween seems to be about the continuing insanity of the Mad King and his relatives).

It was fine before I took a long break from the game.

It's a recent development, probably within the last 3 months, I'd say, based on forum posts I dug up when other folks had similar problems.

Don't worry I won't even know how to go there. I'll wait for you to take me so you are guaranteed to be with me. When do you usually get online? :)

Well, I don't know how we'll be getting there this time, so that'll be new for both of us. Since my wife is on vacation this week, pretty much any time is good, just let me know.

BraXzy

..but the whole Scarlet's Funhouse element won't, so you could watch that if you wanted to (not much story to tell; Scarlet showed up, blew stuff up, took prisoners, we rescued them,the end).

Spoilers! Arrest that man!

Well, I don't know how we'll be getting there this time, so that'll be new for both of us. Since my wife is on vacation this week, pretty much any time is good, just let me know.

That's great, I'll probably be on all day anyway or at least most of it, and well into the night, which I guess for you will be mainly just the day :L

Zeroth

If you want to see it, Youtube it, but wait until after Tuesday because the Bazaar is worth seeing in person, with fresh eyes. You better tell me when you're getting on to see it, I need to vicariously visit it for the first time again.

As someone who wasn't here for the first Bazaar and keep hearing what Retro has to say about it, I will be sorely disappointed if at the very least the rapture and my eyes melting into pudding don't happen once I see the bazaar.

SeZMehK

You probably won't see anything else from Flame and Frost or Sky Pirates return; the dungeons from those are both Fractals now, and the bosses are Fractal Bosses. The Southsun updates, you can see the outcome by visiting Southsun when you're 80 and the actual storyline felt more like a one-off.

Clockwork Chaos and the Nightmare Tower probably won't be back; the former were world-wide invasions and the latter was a large open-world dungeon that I don't think they can bring back logistically. The Queen's Gauntlet is coming back Tuesday, but the whole Scarlet's Funhouse element won't, so you could watch that if you wanted to (not much story to tell; Scarlet showed up, blew stuff up, took prisoners, we rescued them, the end).

And of course, the whole Lion's Arch arc is done and over, so you might as well watch those. Holidays too; though they reoccur every year they often add new stuff to them (Halloween seems to be about the continuing insanity of the Mad King and his relatives).

It's a recent development, probably within the last 3 months, I'd say, based on forum posts I dug up when other folks had similar problems.

Omg, it's going to take forever to get this game up to date...

Retro

As someone who wasn't here for the first Bazaar and keep hearing what Retro has to say about it, I will be sorely disappointed if at the very least the rapture and my eyes melting into pudding don't happen once I see the bazaar.

It's Cantha on a cliff side where you get to defy gravity and dash at light speed as you make your way from a gorgeous tropical lagoon to a flying kite city above the clouds.

So yeah, there's a lot of ascending, and a general feeling of weightlessness, and if you wanted to strip off all of your armor to save on repairs, yeah... basically the Rapture.

Omg, it's going to take forever to get this game up to date...

I believe the total file is something like 12 GB. I mean, you have FiOS, so once it DOES start, it should go pretty quickly. Any progress or is it still having errors?

SeZMehK

It's Cantha on a cliff side where you get to defy gravity and dash at light speed as you make your way from a gorgeous tropical lagoon to a flying kite city above the clouds.

So yeah, there's a lot of ascending, and a general feeling of weightlessness, and if you wanted to strip off all of your armor to save on repairs, yeah... basically the Rapture.

I believe the total file is something like 12 GB. I mean, you have FiOS, so once it DOES start, it should go pretty quickly. Any progress or is it still having errors?

It downloads for a bit but at slow speeds, less than 150kbps then it gets the error.

BraXzy

This is how I feel haha. Ice cream should also rain down from the skies otherwise I'm not impressed.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah I missed the first bazaar too. Isn't it just a bunch of flying ships flying at each other.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Has anyone here had success using a PS3 controller setup?

I used to use a 360 controller, but I sold all that equipment long ago. Debating on buying a wired one or trying to wing it with this PS3 controller.

Just went back and read this. I'm not sure how to reply except to say that your descriptions of the areas sound amazing.

Excited to see how it turns out.

It feels weird hearing everyone talk about all these events that have happened and such since I'm yet to experience it. I'm resisting YouTubing it all so I don't spoil it for myself.

I actually enjoy this aspect. It creates a sort of exclusivity to the events for the people that were there to experience it. Then they have their own stories to tell about "back in the day" to people that weren't there.

This is coming from someone that hasn't played for ~1 years and has missed a lot of the evolving world they have been talking about.

Retro

I actually enjoy this aspect. It creates a sort of exclusivity to the events for the people that were there to experience it. Then they have their own stories to tell about "back in the day" to people that weren't there.

When it works, it works. Every time we do Karka Rush, I know I was there when that bridge went up. Whenever I'm in that neighborhood, I like to check out the remains of the Ancient Karka Queen. She's still down there, and I have screenshots from when it happened.

Likewise, LA is heartbreaking to see in its current state. And it wouldn't be if we hadn't spent almost two years visiting it every time I played.

Granadier

When it works, it works. Every time we do Karka Rush, I know I was there when that bridge went up. Whenever I'm in that neighborhood, I like to check out the remains of the Ancient Karka Queen. She's still down there, and I have screenshots from when it happened.

Likewise, LA is heartbreaking to see in its current state. And it wouldn't be if we hadn't spent almost two years visiting it every time I played.

This was the part that was the most shocking when I came back. I had read about the changes and the impact of the updates and world events, but I hadn't really seen it. All of my characters were logged out in LA before the destruction, so I came back to a smoldering wreck.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
oh yeah does this mean WvW Season 2 would end tomorrow? I guess I should spend more time in EotM then.

Emitan

I am the cutest dervish

ibc1UVQDN7WQqu.jpg

Moondrop

Banned
No. Don't listen to these peasants.
The controller master race takes no offense at your ignorance. We welcome all with love.

Has anyone here had success using a PS3 controller setup?
I used to use a 360 controller, but I sold all that equipment long ago. Debating on buying a wired one or trying to wing it with this PS3 controller.
Indeed, I've been using a PS3 controller since launch. I use Xpadder like Hawkian/Weltall to configure the actual inputs (though my configuration is better :p), plus their RightMouseToggle AutoHotKey script (for which I'm eternally grateful).

The key is the drivers. I use an app called DS3 tool by MotioninJoy. You have to hit the home button on your controller, then have the PS3 mode selected on the app, then hit 'Enable' on the app. Controller inputs should then appear properly through the control panel.

Yaska

Finally finished the exploration of map ( I really, really, really hate those jumping puzzles for vistas, and I really, really, really hate Orr). The sense of accomplishment of now having a Gift of Mastery in the bank is good.

Now I guess I should start farming for other gifts and eventually get my hands on a precursor \o/

Finally finished the exploration of map ( I really, really, really hate those jumping puzzles for vistas, and I really, really, really hate Orr). The sense of accomplishment of now having a Gift of Mastery in the bank is good./
This reminds me. I should get around to map completing agan, I've run out of explorer gifts.

Today's daily is the fastest i have ever completed one..probably took 4mins maybe less, gathering, 3 skill points, daily feast, condition applier, and recycle..

BraXzy

This is coming from someone that hasn't played for ~1 years and has missed a lot of the evolving world they have been talking about.

Yeah that's true. All these things people talk about that have happened before do sound mystical and it's sort of like folklore. I just want to be a part of some now! :D

Finally finished the exploration of map ( I really, really, really hate those jumping puzzles for vistas, and I really, really, really hate Orr). The sense of accomplishment of now having a Gift of Mastery in the bank is good.

Now I guess I should start farming for other gifts and eventually get my hands on a precursor o/

Congrats! I want to 100% the map, I'm 20% of the way there so far. Some Vista's are fun to get to but some are god awful and make me scratch my eyes out.

Retro

But that was the fun part.

Yeah, that was easily the most enjoyable part. It was like a jumping puzzle scavenger hunt.

oh yeah does this mean WvW Season 2 would end tomorrow? I guess I should spend more time in EotM then.

WvW Spring Tournament 2014 started on March 28 and runs through May 30, lasting 9 weeks.

Yeah that's true. All these things people talk about that have happened before do sound mystical and it's sort of like folklore. I just want to be a part of some now! :D

Honestly, this is probably the easiest game for that to happen in; events come and go and leave their fingerprints on the world, but it comes without a lot of baggage because of the rapid-fire update cycle and the way GW2 is built around a horizontal endgame rather than vertical progression.

MMO players are probably the absolute worst when it comes to letting nostalgia cloud their thoughts on games. For every "I miss HardCore raiding, staying up until 3am to beat Soandso the Destroyer as a guild. that was so bada$$!!!!11" they're ignoring a ton of headaches.
  • Getting up the next day on 3 hours of sleep and trying to function at work / classes.
  • The fighting over gear rolls or (worse) underhanded scheming that came from using DKP.
  • The mandatory attendance / ass kissing / politicking / infighting for raid slots.
  • Hours running around in circles, using the game as a chat room, waiting around for something to happen or someone important to show up.
  • All the frustrating wipes to actually reach Soandso, rage quits and barked orders over teamspeak.
  • Grinding daily quests or farming materials to be ready for the raid,
  • Running the same content over and over and over again for a chance to have a chance at the dozen or so items you are required to have to do the top-tier content.

All of that, so in 6 months the developer can completely invalidate all of it when they release Soandso the Destroyer's big brother and a new tier of loot. No thanks. Been there, done that, couldn't stand it.

That's kind of why hardcore raiding has become a niche instead of a reliable gameplay mechanic; all the people who had the time and energy to raid are 10-15 years older. Even if you started playing WoW when you were 10, you'd be 19 now, with (hopefully) a job or school. Most raiders are probably in their 30s with wives and kids and the kind of lives that don't allow for you to sink 6 hours into a game every single day. And all the people who have that much disposable time are young enough that MMOs aren't such a big deal, and I'd bet most of them play MOBAs or shooters.

Doesn't stop people from thinking they still want it though, or companies from blowing millions of dollars chasing the myth.

I was finally able to grab the update last night. Damn that took forever.

Yeah, it seems to be an ongoing issue that's exclusive to FiOS customers. There's quite a few threads on the official forums about it, but no developer response. That's fairly unusual, which makes me think it's something they can't talk about. Like I said earlier, I wouldn't be shocked if Verizon is trying to squeeze gaming companies for bandwidth in the same way Comcast put the squeeze on Netflix. Also, full disclosure; I have FiOS too and it's usually pretty good, but like any large telecom they're absolutely evil.

BraXzy

Today's daily is the fastest i have ever completed one..probably took 4mins maybe less, gathering, 3 skill points, daily feast, condition applier, and recycle..

My daily reset last night while I was on so I could do it again, I think every time so far I've had the reviver one as one of the things to do. Last night was the one time I didn't get it, and I had just entered an area that was literally crawling with downed NPC's, I still did it pretty quick but what are the chances?

Granadier

The controller master race takes no offense at your ignorance. We welcome all with love.

Indeed, I've been using a PS3 controller since launch. I use Xpadder like Hawkian/Weltall to configure the actual inputs (though my configuration is better :p), plus their RightMouseToggle AutoHotKey script (for which I'm eternally grateful).

The key is the drivers. I use an app called DS3 tool by MotioninJoy. You have to hit the home button on your controller, then have the PS3 mode selected on the app, then hit 'Enable' on the app. Controller inputs should then appear properly through the control panel.

Thanks! I'm going to test this. Could you put a link up for your config?

Moondrop

Banned
Thanks! I'm going to test this. Could you put a link up for your config?
EDIT: Ok, I've tried to create a folder for my Xpadder files. I hope it works:
https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BwX3dgJm6pLJdjNjSGVKc0NOSlU&usp=sharing

There's one file for the PS3 controller layout and 3 different input configurations for the different professions. I consolidated warrior/thief/necro and ele/mes/engi, with ranger still having a unique one. No guardian, but you can just rearrange ranger.

Rearranging and fiddling will be necessary of course, but you should have the basic idea from my pre-launch guide below. As with Hawkian/Weltall's configuration, the key is getting the hang of using the shoulder buttons to modify your face buttons. Ele/mes/engi use the left trigger to access a fourth panel of modifiers for F1-F4.

This was my original configuration, but the current version features:
- Target nearest foe on a right shoulder toggle
- Look behind on a left shoulder toggle
- Push-to-talk key on D-left
- AoE loot on D-right
- Customizations for each profession
- EDIT2: Oh yeah, I swapped roles of shoulder buttons and triggers from the original. It's for the best.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Pure insanity :D I can understand all the customizations might make it more competitive for high-level PvP play though
My daily reset last night while I was on so I could do it again, I think every time so far I've had the reviver one as one of the things to do. Last night was the one time I didn't get it, and I had just entered an area that was literally crawling with downed NPC's, I still did it pretty quick but what are the chances?
The Bloodfields in Gendarren always fit that description, if you need revives in a pinch

Granadier

Much appreciated!

The custom ranger config is my real masterpiece; I truly believe it helps me manage my pet and myself independently.

This I really need as I'm using a Ranger now.

edit: Just checked your edited post and got the files. Thanks Moondrop! Will test when I get back from class.

Moondrop

Banned
Pure insanity :D I can understand all the customizations might make it more competitive for high-level PvP play though

The custom ranger config is my real masterpiece; I truly believe it helps me manage my pet and myself independently.

But the custom ele config is just silliness; it would be the same as engi/mes but I rearranged F1-F4 to be more intuitive with the elements:
Cross/"Down" - Fire
Circle/"Outside" - Water
Square/"Inside" - Earth
Triangle/"Up" - Air

(I refuse to use Xbox controller notation because it clashes with the SNES.)

BraXzy

The Bloodfields in Gendarren always fit that description, if you need revives in a pinch

I think I might have been there, I'm not sure. There was one place I've been near where a world boss spawns that always has a lot of downed researchers I think.

I'm still getting used to places and such, it's a pain because someone will mention an area and I'm clueless. I'll see everywhere eventually though I guess.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
For my purposes having only one skill modifier goes a long way toward making it work with any class, and I could never give up targeting with the right stick or my Bayonetta dodge. It is awesome to think about all the different optimizations you could make pet class though, I'm fascinated by what the ranger one could do

BraXzy

I really couldn't imagine playing this with a controller. I want to get really used to KB+M before I attempt it, I still often mis-hit stuff like CAPS LOCK instead of Tab.

Moondrop

Banned
It is awesome to think about all the different optimizations you could make pet class though, I'm fascinated by what the ranger one could do

The heart of my ranger configuration:
- Square: Pet attack target
- Triangle Pet special
- Right Stick Button: Pet swap
..all on the right hand, with Left Trigger as my auto-attack.

I over-dramatize it because all my skills are still on my right hand (and retrieve pet on my left), but it feels like right hand pet, left hand pew-pew shortbow and player movement.

Goldrush

For me, it's great except when I need to rely on targeting and jumping. Switching back from targeting with either the mouse or the stick usually paralyze me for a few seconds as I set my right stick back to camera control.

Moondrop

Banned
For me, it's great except when I need to rely on targeting and jumping. Switching back from targeting with either the mouse or the stick usually paralyze me for a few seconds as I set my right stick back to camera control.

Sounds like something that would never occur with my scheme :p

Proven

How does scoring in WvW work? I know it's to do with the different zomes and champs and whatnot but I've not looked into it.

Every supply camp, tower, and keep is each worth a certain amount of points. Stonemist gets a bonus point total above regular keeps. Every 15 minutes the game counts the point worth of all the structures held across all four WvW maps and adds it to that team's score. That's why you'll see +200 or something on the top of your screen or in that image's Contested Areas table. It's the Potential Points, or points that will be added to your server's score at the next 15 minute tick. The countdown at the top of your screen in WvW is always counting down to the next point tick.

There's a little extra concerning the Ruins of Power and Bloodlust, but the above is the basics.

BraXzy

Every supply camp, tower, and keep is each worth a certain amount of points. Stonemist gets a bonus point total above regular keeps. Every 15 minutes the game counts the point worth of all the structures held across all four WvW maps and adds it to that team's score. That's why you'll see +200 or something on the top of your screen or in that image's Contested Areas table. It's the Potential Points, or points that will be added to your server's score at the next 15 minute tick. The countdown at the top of your screen in WvW is always counting down to the next point tick.

Ahhh, thank you. The tick countdown really confused me because nothing seemed to happen. Right that makes sense. When I'm next on I'll try to contribute some more :D

Gonna play try and go all out this week in WvW even though i need loot for the legendary, we need to bury Blackgate this week, if they finish last they can't win gold league..

PS: good luck to SBI, my former server Yanks bend could finish second, would be funny i left silver league for gold and finished second lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom