• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guild Wars 2 |OT4| The only subscription you need is this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Retro

9bahIZO.png

x8Sq4jO.jpg

TdY26IU.jpg

bg48RG5.jpg

OAE8uXF.jpg

Zjq5vi6.jpg

LXTt2WK.jpg

0ESd1MU.jpg

Yd6rT2y.jpg

GAF-Authored Guides
Written a guide or have a useful link you want to share? Send it via Private Message to Retro and I’ll add it to the list.
GAF Streams
Do you stream Guild Wars 2 often? Please PM me a link to your channel and I'll add it to the list.
Previous OTs

Anno

Since I am planning on making a legendary, I've been looking into the ingredients needed to cook one up and I have a question about one of them. 'The Gift of Exploration' which from the looks of it is needed for any legendary since it is used in making a 'Gift of Mastery'. Since you only get two exploration gifts from 100%ing the map, I assume if you make more than two you need to 100% the map on another character? Or can you only ever make two?

Two for each class to 100% exploration. That's one of the reason's I've finally started to play an alt. Long road to go!

Levyne

Banned
Since I am planning on making a legendary, I've been looking into the ingredients needed to cook one up and I have a question about one of them. 'The Gift of Exploration' which from the looks of it is needed for any legendary since it is used in making a 'Gift of Mastery'. Since you only get two exploration gifts from 100%ing the map, I assume if you make more than two you need to 100% the map on another character? Or can you only ever make two?

Yep, for every character that gets map completion, that effectively affords you two legendaries.

Edit: Damn, I missed that we had gotten to the next page.

BraXzy

How do you guys hide yourselves in screenshots? D:

Not sure what everyone else does but if I can I find a wall or something and sleep in front of it, and then swing my camera round so its squished against the wall looking out and it usually hides my character from view.

You get two per character, you can get as many as you want... In theory.

Two for each class to 100% exploration. That's one of the reason's I've finally started to play an alt. Long road to go!

Yep, for every character that gets map completion, that effectively affords you two legendaries.

Thanks guys. I doubt I'll ever manage to make more than one but it's good to know!

Levyne

Banned
Thorgal, do you play while downsampling or use it for screenshots? Just wondering because keeping a decent framerate at all those events with a lot of people seems tricky enough as it is.

Also, is there a way to get both sweetfx and the steam overlay to work?

Yeah EotM has been horrible recently, we keep getting red team which always seems to suck. When I did a bit on my Warrior I went an hour eith like 2 caps.. then got lucky and went up 5 levels with a good commander.

EotM has been absolutely amazing the whole week. Venturers of the Mist is fielding commanders on all colours, and they're absolutely rolling everybody.

That is, when when don't take over a map on all three sides and start running counter-clockwise.

Thorgal

/sleep works but in the case of the above shots they where both taken from Vista scenes.

Thorgal, do you play while downsampling or use it for screenshots? Just wondering because keeping a decent framerate at all those events with a lot of people seems tricky enough as it is.

I am running the game on a 780 ti and i can keep it at 60FPS at 1440 or at 1800 p .

Graphic wise the game is not that demanding at all .

However as soon as i enter an event like a world boss the framrate plummets .

I need A better CPU one of these days ( probably when Hasswell comes out ) that i can overklock and i might make one of those events run at 30+ FPS with everything maxed.

Levyne

Banned
/sleep works but in the case of the above shots they where both taken from Vista scenes.

I am running the game on a 780 ti and i can keep it at 60FPS at 1440 or at 1800 p .

Graphic wise the game is not that demanding .

However as soon as i enter an event like a world boss the framrate plummets .

I need A better CPU one of these days ( probably when Hasswell comes out ) that i can overklock and i might make one of those events run at 30+ FPS with everything maxxed.

Ah okay. Yeah, those world events are the big kicker for me too (vanilla 780). Maybe I'll play with seeing if I can do 2560x1600 but not sure I have the juice.

I might need to reseat my cpu or something. I use to be able to run it at 4.4 stable but having issues lately.

BraXzy

EotM has been absolutely amazing the whole week. Venturers of the Mist is fielding commanders on all colours, and they're absolutely rolling everybody.

That is, when when don't take over a map on all three sides and start running counter-clockwise.

Just my luck, the first time I did EotM it ran like clockwork so it confused me when it started going badly. Heck, when I first started I didn't even realise other servers were in it because we never ran into any!

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Just pick up a 4790k.

I still don't know what EotM is. Sounds like a 3-way sanctioned karma train all the time?

Pretty much. I think there is supposed to be buffs/supplies given to the winning side's respective servers in EB, but it's mainly used for karma trains and leveling.

Jira

It's really unfortunate that is what EOTM turned into considering it's the best designed map for WvW and it a shit ton of fun to play in.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Redownloading GW2, will then delete my characters ( :'( ) and then join the GAF server. Which one is it btw?

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Redownloading GW2, will then delete my characters ( :'( ) and then join the GAF server. Which one is it btw?

Stormbluff Isle.

If you are on NA servers you won't have to switch. You can be in the guild and join us for missions and quest and everything without being on SBI. The only things that are limited is you can't do WvW for SBI, and if you want guild commendations from missions you need to guest to SBI.

If you're on a European server, and your characters are high level, we have a guild fund dedicated to transfers that might be able to help you out in covering the cost.

------

Kos and Kos Jr. showed me the Legendary Llama today.

Llama

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Stormbluff Isle.

If you are on NA servers you won't have to switch. You can be in the guild and join us for missions and quest and everything without being on SBI. The only things that are limited is you can't do WvW for SBI, and if you want guild commendations from missions you need to guest to SBI.

If you're on a European server, and your characters are high level, we have a guild fund dedicated to transfers that might be able to help you out in covering the cost.
]

I'll check my gold when I log on and see the situation, if not I'll just delete and restart.

That Thorgal screenshot was taken during a Vista viewing. He hit the screencap key at the right time.

I'm very interested in what an overclocked i7-4790K will do for frametimes. AFAIK, Anet has not done any hyperthreading optimizations. My i5-3570K @ 4.6 will still drop < 60 fps in even medium-sized group events. Sucks that the huge processor IPC upgrade that this game (and every other MMO) desperately needs won't be available for many years, I imagine.

BraXzy

I was wondering before.. there were new dungeons/fractals/guild missions etc. added post-launch right? Were they just added at random, or were they a part of Living World season 1?

Just wondering if there's any specific content we are expecting? Obviously we could get absolutrly anything but still..

Almost every permanent content addition since launch, was done through a Living World release. The exceptions are major alterations to things, like AC path 2 boss replacement, etc.

hythloday

I was wondering before.. there were new dungeons/fractals/guild missions etc. added post-launch right? Were they just added at random, or were they a part of Living World season 1?

Just wondering if there's any specific content we are expecting? Obviously we could get absolutrly anything but still..

Guild missions, Fractals and the AC revamp had nothing to do with living story when they were introduced. They were basically just "hey here's some awesome stuff we made for you all."

Living Story brought us a couple boss fractals and a new TA path, though.

Jira

The AC dungeon revamp was random. The Aether path was added to TA as part of an LS update. The Fractal stuff and bosses were added in Season 1 so that people could replay them outside of the context of LW. Guild Missions were just added at random back in early 2013.

Jira

Guild missions, Fractals and the AC revamp had nothing to do with living story when they were introduced. They were basically just "hey here's some awesome stuff we made for you all."

Living Story brought us a couple boss fractals and a new TA path, though.

0XY5jwb.jpg

DrAg0nBoY

Today I found out that I have a Council Watch Chestguard and Faceguard skin and I have no idea how I got that (done the dungeon today for the first time, but have those two skins sometime now already).

On a nother note. The next Season 2 update is on the 14th july right? Goin on vacation tomorrow and want to be sure that I will be back for the next uptade.

Ashodin

Today I found out that I have a Council Watch Chestguard and Faceguard skin and I have no idea how I got that (done the dungeon today for the first time, but have those two skins sometime now already).

On another note. The next Season 2 update is on the 14th July right? Going on vacation tomorrow and want to be sure that I will be back for the next update.

Yep. Preview this Tuesday, then next week it launches.

5WPduDX.gif

Hey everyone, I just wanted to let you know that we are aware of the lag issue and that people are working on it. It&#8217;s possible that one of the sandstorms got a few geodes lodged in the servers , but they will find out and fix it as soon as possible. Hang in there with us, and thanks for being patient!

Retro

There were some items from the Personal Story that shared the same skins, I would imagine that's where you got them.

Mxrz

Stealth has absolutely killed WvW proper for my guild and I. No one is interested much these days cause every week goes the fucking same. Screw it, they can have the entire game mode at this point.

Ashodin

Do we know what will disappear next update? Merchant? Geodes? Locked Chest?

None of it. It's all perma.

Open world content additions to Living World updates will permanently expand or change the world of Tyria and will tie to the theme and story of the episode. This means you can play the open world content and the story content (if you’ve unlocked that episode) anytime you want, on every character you ever make on your account! You’re no longer limited to completing the episode during its two-week release window. This means that going forward, all of the content and all of the rewards for Living World will be permanent.
You're free to stay in the bottom section of Dry Top and farm to your heart's content.

It's probably likely they'll clean up areas to fit the current story (ie, the Zephyrites won't be there forever), but the rewards and objectives should still be the same. I'd expect some Zephyrites to stay behind in Prosperity, for example, and offer rewards that we are given now (especially since there's a vendor already there).

I expect ramps and ladders being added to sections that are hard to traverse without crystals.

Oh and expect to see more wreckage, the Zephyrites did say there were other ships that still flew on ahead.

What I want answers to:

• Where is the Master of Peace going?
  • What happened to the leyline hub that Scarlet found?
  • What was the Zephyrites' original destination and why?
  • Sylvari will really be hated in-game and out because of this unless they take action for their own

BraXzy

Me and Asmun just managed to do Zephyr's Ascent and Zephyr's Leap. That was damn hard without the wind aspect. Thankfully we both managed the leap first time after finally getting up.

Retro

I expect ramps and ladders being added to sections that are hard to traverse without crystals.

Or a group of Zephyrites will choose to remain in Prosperity, creating a permanent Zephyrite settlement in the cliffs and mesas of Dry Top (like Thunder Bluff on steroids, minus the lazy, wholesale 'borrowing' of the High Plains Native American cultures).

(Fun fact: It's been so long I had to look up what the name of the Tauren city was.)

What I want answers to:

• Where is the Master of Peace going?
  • What happened to the leyline hub that Scarlet found?
  • What was the Zephyrites' original destination and why?
  • Sylvari will really be hated in-game and out because of this unless they take action for their own

1. He's chasing one of the ships that crashed with
Baby Glint
inside.
2. It's still there, like a huge underground river; we just need to blast open the original shaft.
3. Sailing around the world to reach Cantha, taking the long way to avoid Jormag to the North and Kralkatorrik to the south.
4. They're Dragon Minions, they can't help it. Whenever they get close to Mordremoth they just go batshit crazy.

Lunar15

The Master of Peace is untrustworthy.

He seemed weirdly untrustworthy to me. But who knows, I think he's trying to find Glint's child. Don't think we need to spoiler that since it's been put out there pretty openly at this point.

As for the sylvari being dragon minions: It's likely, but I'm not sure how Mordremoth relates to the Pale Tree and vise versa. Maybe we'll learn more about the seed of the pale tree at Ventari's Outpost, which we're likely to go to soon.

It could be that the Seed of the Pale tree was intended to grow Mordremoth's minions from the start, but Ventari's teachings "warped" them into being good.

Ashodin

He seemed weirdly untrustworthy to me. But who knows, I think he's trying to find Glint's child. Don't think we need to spoiler that since it's been put out there pretty openly at this point.

As for the sylvari being dragon minions: It's likely, but I'm not sure how Mordremoth relates to the Pale Tree and vise versa. Maybe we'll learn more about the seed of the pale tree at Ventari's Outpost, which we're likely to go to soon.

It could be that the Seed of the Pale tree was intended to grow Mordremoth's minions from the start, but Ventari's teachings "warped" them into being good.

The seeds were probably supposed to be planted/grown when he was awake and not asleep. The Pale Tree grew without its influence, but knew about it so she kept her children safe by using Ventari's teachings as a guide. Remember, Sylvari don't have any experience except from what they learned from previous Sylvari, so the Firstborns were literally a blank slate. I'm thinking Sylvari are born without crucial Mordremoth instructions that he couldn't give being dormant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom