• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Slaythe

They were ignoring EU and PC for years.

They recently changed that.

It's useless to keep being mad at them now that they're doing it right.

I'm also European, I have learn to mod my ps2 and import / buy digital on US / JP psn.

So I share part of your pain, but I feel like if you put a little thought into it you can get it all. DLC, free characters, games on time etc...

Now for the "mass public" obviously that was a disaster and the clear reason why those games are not more popular over here.

But at least they're doing it right NOW.

I'm also European, I have learn to mod my ps2 and import / buy digital on US / JP psn.

So I share part of your pain, but I feel like if you put a little thought into it you can get it all. DLC, free characters, games on time etc...

Now for the "mass public" obviously that was a disaster and the clear reason why those games are not more popular over here.

But at least they're doing it right NOW.

But the 'they' that are doing it right now are not the same 'they' that did it wrong for Sign and earlier...

Korigama

Hate that awful new design for Elphelt, up to and including ditching the You Could Be Mine reference (making it less in line with the Guns N' Roses theme, and amusingly LESS metal with the edgy story-linked makeover). Doesn't suit her at all.

Slaythe

But the 'they' that are doing it right now are not the same 'they' that did it wrong for Sign and earlier...

That is not true. At all.

Arksys is personally handling the PC releases now, and they're the ones that negotiated with the EU publisher.

Instead of ignoring EU market. They picked who they thought were the most trust worthy because they knew they couldn't handle it themselves there, because they have no branch in europe. It's that simple. Still a step in the right direction. They allowed it to happen for the first time without relying on a big brand like Sega.

That is not true. At all.

Arksys is personally handling the PC releases now, and they're the ones that negotiated with the EU publisher.

Instead of ignoring EU market. They picked who they thought were the most trust worthy because they knew they couldn't handle it themselves there, because they have no branch in europe. It's that simple. Still a step in the right direction. They allowed it to happen for the first time without relying on a big brand like Sega.

But if what you're saying is true, ArcSys is directly to blame for Sign's EU DLC disaster.

I'm still pissed about the Xrd Sign situation and BBCF not having an announced EU publisher yet makes me wary.

But for Xrd R it looks like they're finally doing it right. EU release the same week as US, and this close to the JP one? Early arcade version for competitors to train on? Taking the game out to lots of events?

I need to support this kind of thing so we'll get more of it.

(It helps that the game is great ^.^ )

Spuck-uk

Banned
That's your opinion...
...and your opinion is wrong. You have any right to have it, but sadly it's wrong!

Elphelt whole design was based around her being to much of a lovefreak to fit in with the rest of the cast. If they make dark/goth as well, the franchise already has about a dozen other characters with that color palette, plus it no longers maches her character.

Regardless her's and Leo's absence on the EU Sign version is sue-worthy material as her presence is and being advertised everywhere in that game.
I ported Sign from the US since it took them 10 months to release it in Europe, and because I couln't get them from the American version, I bought the game again when it finally got released in here, even if it is in a digital-only format that I Despise.

Arc Owns me money, and with their ridiculous european delays, overpriced Dlc characters and being the only company that region lock their games, I'm beginning to form a vendeta against them similar to the one I have with EA.

EU PC version of Sign absolutely has both those characters

Slaythe

But if what you're saying is true, ArcSys is directly to blame for Sign's EU DLC disaster.

Here's the thing.

Arksys is an extremely small company. Not only that, but they have no branch in Europe.

They tried to release Xrd sign in EU, the first delay wasn't so much because they didn't care, it's because they had virtually no idea about the EU console regulations (all big countries having different things to check) and whatnot. When they released it, they realized they had not submitted the update for approval, which also needed a lot of work, it's easily done for companies used to it but not for a japanese company that only works with the US.

They were confronted with two choices, let it die, or waste time money and resources to get it right (despite the abominable launch with lack of dlc, full price, no retail release etc..).

They decided to let it die and just get a EU publisher instead, that can do things right.

If Xrd sign EU had worked out OKAY, they probably wouldn't have considered giving the rights to a third party for EU publishing.

So in a way, Sign EU died so that the new Ark games could have parity worldwide.

Beautiful tragedy.

Here's the thing.

That's a reasonably logical narrative. It doesn't excuse them for short shrifting European customers in a big way, but it makes some sense.

But how do you know this? Inside knowledge or (logic-based) tales from your ass?

Volcynika

Man, PlatinumMilk and I must have played 100 matches since release, and no one else ever joins the room! Stop being lame, GAF!

K cool.

I joined last night.......then got pulled into Episode mode. :p

Then PlatinumMilk avoided playing me in the lobby! (._. )

Slaythe

That's a reasonably logical narrative. It doesn't excuse them for short shrifting European customers in a big way, but it makes some sense.

But how do you know this? Inside knowledge or (logic-based) tales from your ass?

They said somewhere on the steam forums of GGXX accent core that publishing on console is a completely different matter than releasing on PC, that from now on they would make sure PC release are decent and handled by arc directly.

And as for EU version, they said several times on twitter that it was a lot of work for them.

0db61f316fb0d3762bbb85d2d5df4569.png

I'm having issues finding more atm because it's drowned by Revelator talk. But I can look for it if you insist.

Also, another company went through the same issue and gave detailed info as to why their EU version was so delayed. (Comcept for Azure Strike)
Also a japanese company with only a US branch that thought EU worked the same way. Of course it doesn't.

I dont remember getting a single game from them during the last generation without at least 9 months of delay. How long have they've been publishing their own games?

Here's the really sad part.

The partners they picked for EU were as bad as them. Atlus, Sega etc... were a fucking disgrace.

That's why I said that them picking a good EU publisher this time, is the same as them doing a "good job". They could have just picked a cheap publisher that would have resulted in the same nightmare, but they went for a very community oriented one that is dedicated to do things right.

They said somewhere on the steam forums of GGXX accent core that publishing on console is a completely different matter than releasing on PC, that from now on they would make sure PC release are decent and handled by arc directly.

And as for EU version, they said several times on twitter that it was a lot of work for them.

0db61f316fb0d3762bbb85d2d5df4569.png

I'm having issues finding more atm because it's drowned by Revelator talk. But I can look for it if you insist.

Also, another company went through the same issue and gave detailed info as to why their EU version was so delayed. (Comcept for Azure Strike)
Also a japanese company with only a US branch that thought EU worked the same way. Of course it doesn't.
Oh I don't insist, I'm more than happy to take you at your word on this. I was just curious.

When did they tweet that (the screenshot one), by the way?

Slaythe

Oh I don't insist, I'm more than happy to take you at your word on this. I was just curious.

When did they tweet that (the screenshot one), by the way?

August 2015.

They of course ended up letting it die to focus on making a deal with a new publisher.

Slaythe

as a fighting game noob... is this fine to get into? it looks awesome and I kind of wanna play it.

It also has a "stylish mode" which lets you press buttons and do cool combos with no efforts.

A good idea to see what the characters can do.

as a fighting game noob... is this fine to get into? it looks awesome and I kind of wanna play it.

Do it then! It has -great- tutorials and there's an online training mode so you can ask people to tutor you. Also there's Stylish mode which is good to fall back on if you're a total beginner. And a bunch of single player modes to enjoy too.

Of course you'll get mauled if you play experienced people, but that's any competitive game. Just ask folks for help and slowly improve.

Impulsor

awesome and encouraging answers!

Obviously, this would play better with a fighting stick right? I was thinking of diving in with a complete package and getting a stick alongside this one.

I like fighting games in general, never was too good, and I'm looking forward to Injustice 2 + some others.

FACE

Banned

Releasing PC version of games 1+ year after they come out on consoles is "doing it right"? lol

Slaythe

Obviously, this would play better with a fighting stick right? I was thinking of diving in with a complete package and getting a stick alongside this one.

I like fighting games in general, never was too good, and I'm looking forward to Injustice 2 + some others.

It entirely depends on which character you are playing. Some are hard on stick.

But a lot of them are perfectly fine on pad.

What you have to do, is use the macros in the button config.

You need one for "cancelling" (you press a button that interrupts your attack, you're supposed to press 3 buttons but you can map it on one button), one for shield, and maybe one for instant kill (ultimate attack).

If you map it then pad is fine.

Slaythe

Releasing PC version of games 1+ year after they come out on consoles is "doing it right"? lol

Did you even look at the releases they had this year ?

And "doing it wrong", in their case, doesn't mean coming with a delay.

It means it's not coming at all. And I'm not talking about blazblue, I'm talking about literally all of their games. They have put a lot of efforts porting them.

Hell even Guilty Gear Overture was ported.

Impulsor

It entirely depends on which character you are playing. Some are hard on stick.

But a lot of them are perfectly fine on pad.

What you have to do, is use the macros in the button config.

You need one for "cancelling" (you press a button that interrupts your attack, you're supposed to press 3 buttons but you can map it on one button), one for shield, and maybe one for instant kill (ultimate attack).

If you map it then pad is fine.

You mean that some of the characters are hard on an arcade stick or was that a typo and you actually meant hard on a pad?

FACE

Banned

It means it's not coming at all. And I'm not talking about blazblue, I'm talking about literally all of their games. They have put a lot of efforts porting them.

Yes they've released games that been out on consoles for more than an year and are out of date(except Melty Blood). When it comes to ASW your standards for "doing it right" are pretty low.

Impulsor

Dived right in. Did not get stick, will first try out the game.

Is there any DLC for this game that is not included on disc?

Volcynika

Dived right in. Did not get stick, will first try out the game.

Is there any DLC for this game that is not included on disc?

Make sure to download Kum and Raven. They're in the game already, but you can just go ahead and unlock them while they are free on the PS store.

People weren't kidding about Kum being awkward to use. His/her inputs are some of the most hard for the sake of hard ones I've seen in a recent fighter, which is a shame. They're not impossible, but it's frustrating even having to do them because of how unnecessary they feel.

On the plus side, Raven is really fun to mess around with. His movement, specials and normals are all interesting, and I kind of like the active zoner thing he's got going on. I haven't tried Jack-O/Johnny yet or fooled around with Jam for more than 10 minutes so I'll withhold opinions on those for now.

I don't even know who I'm kidding trying these new characters. At the end of the day I'm just going to pick May and chain into sweep -> dolphin/beach ball until the end of time anyway.

danmaku

It's crazy that they wasted time and money for Overture instead of... you know... porting their biggest and latest release. They probably didn't spend much for it, but still... why? They also ported GG Isuka (a game pretty much no one liked), but not the revisions of XX after #Reload (until the super late port of AC+R). Madness!

SephLuis

People weren't kidding about Kum being awkward to use. His/her inputs are some of the most hard for the sake of hard ones I've seen in a recent fighter, which is a shame. They're not impossible, but it's frustrating even having to do them because of how unnecessary they feel.

On the plus side, Raven is really fun to mess around with. His movement, specials and normals are all interesting, and I kind of like the active zoner thing he's got going on. I haven't tried Jack-O/Johnny yet or fooled around with Jam for more than 10 minutes so I'll withhold opinions on those for now.

I don't even know who I'm kidding trying these new characters. At the end of the day I'm just going to pick May and chain into sweep -> dolphin/beach ball until the end of time anyway.

Kum is hard to execute, but I imagine she's a beast. Her damage output should be pretty high. I didn't liked Raven too much, felt weird to me.

However, I loved Jack O which I didn't expected. I am not going to train with her outside of some tactics and BnBs to piss my friends off when we play =D

I am trying to adapt to Jam in a stick, but it's going to be hard. You need to input those commands very fast.

Sayad

Unless you used a stick before, it's one of the harder games to learn how to use a stick with. That and controller is fine even at top level, best US player in the game is a pad player.

ShinMaruku

Probably one of the better ones to get into so the conventions of other fighting games don't impede you, since this has good variety in character sytles I think it would be easier to go from this to other fighting games.

So i guess i should use all of my money on fishing ? (I have a Raven DLC Code, and i'll probably get Kim with real money)

Unless there's something you really want from the shop (like colors for a specific character), then probably.

Also, Raven and Kum are free atm. Don't need any money for them.

Top Bottom