• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

How's everyone doing?

I gave Dizzy a try and she is super hard to play.

I've barely scratched the surface with her but I don't really think she's hard. Just that since she's new to me I have no idea what to use in what situation. Like whenever I jab someone low I always by reflex do a 2S right after but her 2S pretty much hits directly upwards which isn't good for comboing on the ground so I need to get rid of that.

I've learned a basic BnB for her, right now I have to work on actually being able to hitconfirm in real matches and learning how I can better use her projectiles.

I've found a few uses so far like her 236K > YRC then you can cross up or do whatever and doing a 214HS off of a 2D knockdown. You can dash over the enemy and the beam will cross them up as you pass over.

I also saw someone mention that if you do 421HS and YRC after charging the second projectile you can continue to hold HS while you are free to move around.

I've barely scratched the surface with her but I don't really think she's hard. Just that since she's new to me I have no idea what to use in what situation. Like whenever I jab someone low I always by reflex do a 2S right after but her 2S pretty much hits directly upwards which isn't good for comboing on the ground so I need to get rid of that.

I've learned a basic BnB for her, right now I have to work on actually being able to hitconfirm in real matches and learning how I can better use her projectiles.

I've found a few uses so far like her 236K > YRC then you can cross up or do whatever and doing a 214HS off of a 2D knockdown. You can dash over the enemy and the beam will cross them up as you pass over.

I also saw someone mention that if you do 421HS and YRC after charging the second projectile you can continue to hold HS while you are free to move around.
Woah, you can YRC 236K even on frame 1 and it comes out. That's sick.

Off of 2D, 214S also hits OTG and props up instead of knocking back. The damage seems higher, too.

You can 421HS and YRC to keep the projectile after the first ball - no need to wait for the second.

Woah, you can YRC 236K even on frame 1 and it comes out. That's sick.

Off of 2D, 214S also hits OTG and props up instead of knocking back. The damage seems higher, too.

You can 421HS and YRC to keep the projectile after the first ball - no need to wait for the second.

Isn't 214S the fire beam that hits the top half of the screen?

The basic bnb I mentioned before is 5cS > 5S > 5HS > 2D > 236S. You can RC after the 236S and do something like j5K > j5S > jc > j5K > j5S > j5D for some more damage.

j5K > j5S > jc > j5K > j5S > j5D seems to be a good basic aerial combo in general, although I find sometimes the second j5S misses but adding in a j5P after the first j5K usually solves that (j5K > j5P > j5S > jc > j5K > j5S > j5D).

TWILT

Banned
Just been messing around with her for an hour or so. Dizzy's so much fun ;; I'm so happy she's finally in this game now. Everything about her animates so well and is hella charming (her Instant Kill yoooo). Just did some of her combo trails and did some basic fish set ups, but I plan to explore her even more.

Venfayth

I would like to play this video game. I've only really ever played USFIV and SFV seriously when it comes to fighting games. Where's a good place to start if I want to learn all the mechanics from the ground up?

Just finished her trails, looks very technical but her fire and ice spikes combos are hella fun, that and those monstrous normals makes me want to play her more!
See, coming from Raven I'm like "why are my normals so small?"

Plus her airdash approaches are really awkward.

Isn't 214S the fire beam that hits the top half of the screen?

The basic bnb I mentioned before is 5cS > 5S > 5HS > 2D > 236S. You can RC after the 236S and do something like j5K > j5S > jc > j5K > j5S > j5D for some more damage.

j5K > j5S > jc > j5K > j5S > j5D seems to be a good basic aerial combo in general, although I find sometimes the second j5S misses but adding in a j5P after the first j5K usually solves that (j5K > j5P > j5S > jc > j5K > j5S > j5D).
Her advanced combos have a strong follow up from 236S RC.

I would like to play this video game. I've only really ever played USFIV and SFV seriously when it comes to fighting games. Where's a good place to start if I want to learn all the mechanics from the ground up?
The game actually has a FANASTIC in-game tutorial system. There are 3 whole categories:
Basic game mechanics.
Specific tech and countering.
Character combos.

Azure J

Dizzy is probably the best animating 3D fighter model I've ever seen. Holy shit.

Not my kind of character but I definitely see the appeal and love put into her. At the same time, will definitely be using a lot of Area 42. It has one of the most charming match transitions this side of Vampire Saviour. Riches In Me BGM + that stage = <3

Hubb

Thanks everyone, got a lot to sift through!

Also this might be weird but I learned a lot sifting through the http://wiki.shoryuken.com/Ultra_Street_Fighter_IV/Game_Systems page for USFIV where it goes into the specific frame data of lots of mechanics like pre-jump frames and counter hits and whatnot. Is there anything like that for GG that really drills down the specifics of everything?

http://www.dustloop.com/wiki/index.php/GGXRD-R/Frame_Data

Probably not updated to the most recent patch.

Amani

Oh boy, bodied by a Dizzy player already. Corner pressured like a boss, though I feel like there were quite a few spots I could've broken out of. Time to practice the basics again.

miku

Hadoukie

Is anyone else not getting her stage? I downloaded her and she's on the character select, but her stage isn't selectable. How do I fix that?

Shouta

Started out with Dizzy's advance combos but I'm having trouble getting clean down and forward inputs for some of them, lol. I'm also doing bubbles so close to the ground I can't airdash or hit a button before landing. Gotta go higher for some of these combos. =|

Started out with Dizzy's advance combos but I'm having trouble getting clean down and forward inputs for some of them, lol. I'm also doing bubbles so close to the ground I can't airdash or hit a button before landing. Gotta go higher for some of these combos. =|
delay your TKs! you also have to be close enough on some to be coming down on their head. If you dont you end up whiffing things like 6H as you push back too far

miku

Dizzy out in EU yet?

I have her free now on EU version in case anyone didn't get her yet. Looks great, her instant kill is funny.

Yes

x3UCIhg.gif

ggGaf, i'll soon (end of the week or next week) start playing this (already own it, but have no time.. last gg i played was slash)...
is there any eu room which is always or almost always there and is there any "prime time" for ggGaf match?

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
There's usually a EU room or EU Beginner room if you search for player matches- I dunno if there's a specific GAF room or anything. I'm called EndcatUK on psn, if you need any matches give me a shout.

Marz

Kind of crazy how a new character releases (a popular one at that) and the thread barely moves forward a page. New character releases in SFV and you get like 100 new pages.

Slaythe

Kind of crazy how a new character releases (a popular one at that) and the thread barely moves forward a page. New character releases in SFV and you get like 100 new pages.

We're pretty much all in a dedicated Discord. We don't really talk GG on GAF.

We share announcement and that's it, all the chit chat goes through discord.

Didn't even realize the tutorial mode in this game continued into that checklist challenge mode I forgot the name of. Now I finally know what faultless defense is, how to git gud at tick throwing and air throwing and other stuff. This mode is so good.

Bebpo

Banned
Getting around to playing Rev now that Dizzy's out and liking it a great deal coming from Sign. All the story stuff in arcade mode is great so far.

My only disappointment is how little the Sign characters changed in the transition to Rev, notably that after Sign's huge Ky twist reveal of (idk if I need to spoil this)
his red GEAR eye
it doesn't show up in any of his moves in Rev. I mean Ephelet has her new design so story stuff should carry-over into the gameplay. They could've just made Ky's
eye glow
during his instant kill now or something, but they didn't, which is weird, especially since his IK he says he's using his full power. That's my only nitpick. Would be nice if the next revision after Rev upgrades the existing cast a bit with some new moves.

Getting around to playing Rev now that Dizzy's out and liking it a great deal coming from Sign. All the story stuff in arcade mode is great so far.

My only disappointment is how little the Sign characters changed in the transition to Rev, notably that after Sign's huge Ky twist reveal of (idk if I need to spoil this)
his red GEAR eye
it doesn't show up in any of his moves in Rev. I mean Ephelet has her new design so story stuff should carry-over into the gameplay. They could've just made Ky's
eye glow
during his instant kill now or something, but they didn't, which is weird, especially since his IK he says he's using his full power. That's my only nitpick. Would be nice if the next revision after Rev upgrades the existing cast a bit with some new moves.

Well they are not changing anything on purpose (just balancing some stuff). Changing too much is Blazblue's sin. Every game changes so much that i just gave up.

hat_hair

WHat body horror?

She used to be less in control of her wings,I guess? Her old transformation seemed to be more painful.

Anyway, I am going to have to relearn all my timings for Dizzy's moves. I'm not sure if they've changed, but after years of BlazBlue and Street Fighter I'm way out of practice.

Top Bottom