• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GUILTY GEAR Xrd REV 2 |OT| Holy Smokes Baiken!

Nuszka

Really wish the alt Zato-1 costume from that digital figure trailer was available for us. They have a 3d model of it, right, or am i missing something.

Slaythe

Really wish the alt Zato-1 costume from that digital figure trailer was available for us. They have a 3d model of it, right, or am i missing something.

So what ?

They still have to edit every single frame to make sure the shadows are fine on a new model. It's not as easy as swapping models.

Yep. Aside from heavy slash which is played for laughs her body no longer morphs into monstrous appendages or uses blood in her attacks. I guess she's more mature and in control of her powers now but still, kinda disappointing.

I think that's just a change in art direction, rather than being a characterization point. Everything across the board is much more pretty and clean and less gritty and gruesome than in XX.

It also could just be a limitation in what they can do in 3D. I imagine t's much easier to draw detailed, asymmetric fleshy growth in 2D than it is to render in 3D. and blood as an effect has been completely eliminated.

Slaythe

I think that's just a change in art direction, rather than being a characterization point. Everything across the board is much more pretty and clean and less gritty and gruesome than in XX.

It also could just be a limitation in what they can do in 3D. I imagine t's much easier to draw detailed, asymmetric fleshy growth in 2D than it is to render in 3D. and blood as an effect has been completely eliminated.

Er no... This has virtually nothing to do with 3D limitations. Neither the blood or body horror. They keep changing the models mid animation to provide 2D looks, that wouldn't be any different.

Sayad

Er no... This has virtually nothing to do with 3D limitations. Neither the blood or body horror. They keep changing the models mid animation to provide 2D looks, that wouldn't be any different.

It has to do with 3D limitation in that they have to make more new models for those morphing animations, which isn't exactly cheap. Dizzy, as is, already look like she has two regular characters worth of effort put into her.

If you say so.

It's just a guess on my part based on what I read in that panel where they talk in detail about their work in Xrd. They stated that some things are much harder to depict in 3D than with 2D sprites and I just imagined some of Dizzy's old normals fell into that category.

As inefficient as it is, somethings are just easier to draw by hand.

Slaythe

It has to do with 3D limitation in that they have to make more new models for those morphing animations, which isn't exactly cheap. Dizzy, as is, already look like she has two regular characters worth of effort put into her.

They already have a shit ton of morphing animations for the current Dizzy. Nothing about her is cheap or lazy. Zato is also relying on morphs on 90% of his moveset. I don't see why that would stop Arcsys from doing body horror if they wanted to. She does have body transformations in her current moveset, just not "horror". Has nothing to do with 3D limitations.

They tried as hard as they could to make her great, and as you said, it looks like she got twice the amount of work to be done right. It's an artistic choice more than it has to do with limitations.

If you say so.

It's just a guess on my part based on what I read in that panel where they talk in detail about their work in Xrd. They stated that some things are much harder to depict in 3D than with 2D sprites and I just imagined some of Dizzy's old normals fell into that category.

As inefficient as it is, somethings are just easier to draw by hand.

The point wasn't that it was hard, the point was that they found the solution.

They designed a workflow that allows them to create what they want rather quickly now, it took them years to achieve but now that they're used to it, it's fine.

They have several characters that use that kind of effect, there is no reason why Dizzy wouldn't use it because of "limitations". As I stated above, she does have transformations in the current movesets, just not on the body horror side, and that's because they toned down this kind of graphic style.

edit :

And to close the debate, she still has some body horror. And the non horror transformation don't require any less work than an "horror" version of it.

Codiox

Man loving this game. Got it last weekend and I'm blowing away by all the QOL stuff. SFV looks like it's Capcoms first fighting game.

If anyone wanna play/train with a total beginner add me: C0D10X

Jam is my main. She's awesome!

lupinko

Think it's likely I can still find first print Revelator on store shelves here in Japan?

It's too expensive on the Canadian PSN and the physical Japanese game is cheaper for me, but I got the NA dlc free (only dizzy free for JP dlc).

I wanted it on my hdd but money talks.

Anyone buy the physical Japanese game confirm what I should be looking for to check for the Kum and Raven codes?

miku

Post Ky's wife combo please

Think it's likely I can still find first print Revelator on store shelves here in Japan?

It's too expensive on the Canadian PSN and the physical Japanese game is cheaper for me, but I got the NA dlc free (only dizzy free for JP dlc).

I wanted it on my hdd but money talks.

Anyone buy the physical Japanese game confirm what I should be looking for to check for the Kum and Raven codes?

Maybe. My copy has a sticker at the top left corner

LXtOA0P.jpg

Rhapsody

Banned
I'll have to mess with 6P anti-air more. 2S anti air hitbox feels a lot more different than old 2S. They basically gave old 2S to Jack-O lol

Slaythe

It's almost painful going to SFV after a session of Revelator.

I think the worst part of SFV is the complete and total absence of social aspect.

In Xrd, it's so easy to meet people, find people at your level and what not.

SFV's online is the worst. Which is cool cause, you know, they bet everything on online -_- .

Gr1mLock

Passing metallic gas
I think the worst part of SFV is the complete and total absence of social aspect.

In Xrd, it's so easy to meet people, find people at your level and what not.

SFV's online is the worst. Which is cool cause, you know, they bet everything on online -_- .

Yeah. Not to dump on the game too much. It's just a really frustrating experience overall. Thankfully I can and do normally just say fuck it and go back to Revelator after twenty minutes.

Or KoF14. Too used to air movement and KoF is so ground dashing based.

I'll wait and see how KoF pans out. I don't think I have the confidence to just buy a fighting game and hope all the moving parts work as they should anymore.

Slaythe

Two things :

1) I believe a thread title update is in order

2) Jam is a shit ton of fun now. Like really. She might not be the strongest, she has great damage and her combo routes are just incredibly satisfying.

EndcatOmega

Unconfirmed Member
Honestly, as much as Xrd is more fun so far after all I found SFV's lack of social interaction kind of a blessing. Nobody in SFV told me I shouldn't be in an EU West room because of the brexit, it's easier to just play just with a press of a button and nobody angrily accused me of making alt accounts and trying to destroy new players after a match they won cleanly.

...Okay the first one was kind of funny.

Seyob

Honestly, as much as Xrd is more fun so far after all I found SFV's lack of social interaction kind of a blessing. Nobody in SFV told me I shouldn't be in an EU West room because of the brexit, it's easier to just play just with a press of a button and nobody angrily accused me of making alt accounts and trying to destroy new players after a match they won cleanly.

...Okay the first one was kind of funny.
Social interactions bring both the good and the bad. But on balance I personally vastly prefer the online system in Xrd vs SFV.

Two things :

2) Jam is a shit ton of fun now. Like really. She might not be the strongest, she has great damage and her combo routes are just incredibly satisfying.

What's changed with Jam in the latest patch?
All I've done since the patch is go through most of Dizzy's trials (who I'm really enjoying using on this compared to the previous games for some reason).

Rhapsody

Banned
Looks like they made a hidden easter egg on having Dizzy without the white shirt similar to her old design. Might be old, but I didn't know about it. Just do Gamma Ray during Hellfire and no shirt after

Rhapsody

Banned
I see, haha. Been too focused on working on Dizzy tech itself lately. Definitely liking how she turned out while trying to adjust to differences now.

Chev

So what ?

They still have to edit every single frame to make sure the shadows are fine on a new model. It's not as easy as swapping models.

No, they don't edit the shadows per-frame for alternate models, just paint the general case shadow on the mesh data. Their shadow process doesn't require checking each frame, because it's like baked in ambient occlusion it's reasonably straightforward to come up with something that you know will look good in general.

Codiox

Two things :

can you give me some bnb's and standard combos / strategys for jam? im just starting to play guilty gear and loving jam, but i dont know what to do with her in online play.

NEO0MJ

She looks like a harlot. Not befitting a queen at all 😕

I feel KI is distracting me too much from this game. But the new characters are really fun in that game, especially Eyedol.

Finished the Revelator "Anime", man that was one hell of a ride from start to finish.

(Did it really never occurred to Ky that Sol would be his Father-in-law up till now ^^;)

Unless some other shit happens it looks like to me that they're wrapping everything up story wise by the next installment?

Korigama

Hoping not to hear that anyone forgot to download Dizzy while she was free, but pretty sure that at least some people will have missed the boat.

Top Bottom