• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Hey You

Bravo post over. If they are as committed as they say they are to post launch support, they'll take a look at all these basic complaints the community has been voicing.

I wish they offered double xp where I live. Oh well.

Hopefully Double XP weekends make a return.

Sissel

Might as well cross-post it here.

Things that are Dumb As Fuck™ in Halo 4 Multiplayer Infinity:

• Personal ordnance - People pull Snipers, Binary Rifles and all kinds of other extremely powerful weapons out of their asses after which they proceed to kill enemy players who could've never seen it coming.
  • Global ordnance - Random weapons in random locations, go figure.
  • Flinch - Can we please get the descoping mechanic back? The flinching mechanic is annoying enough in CoD where everyone dies in one hit, it's incredibly obnoxious in Halo where it takes 5 shots to do so. Long range battles become very tedious because of it.
  • Big Team Battle - Because of the flinch mechanic BTB isn't everything but enjoyable. The fact that it turns into who can shoot each other the fastest while sitting behind a rock half a kilometer away doesn't help much either. Valhalla is especially atrocious, it's nothing but long range battles. And good luck using vehicles because they'll get EMPed, stuck and shot to shreds with precision weapons in no time.
  • Promethean Vision - You can see people across the goddamn map. Don't think that needs more explanation, right 343?
  • Camo - It's already annoying anyway as an AA, but hey now you can even be invisible on the radar if you stand still. Screw the camo power-up that promotes movement and isn't Dumb As Fuck™, no let's let everyone spawn with camo and encourage them to hide in corners.
  • Jetpack - Screw your map-layout, screw you cover, screw everyone, I've got a motherfucking jetpack.
  • Regeneration Field - It's practically impossible to win a battle against someone who is in one and right to some cover. You miss one shot and he gets his shield partly back instantly. Fun, fun, fun.
  • Thrust - No, I'm just kidding. It's pretty worthless and I don't mind it.
  • Hardlight Shield - "Just throw a grenade," people said. Well, what if the guy who's using it is across the goddamn map? What if I'm out of grenades? Gotta give people their out-of-jail-free card, right?
  • Boltshot - It's a shotgun that you get at spawn. I like using it but damn if it isn't lame.
  • Capture the Flag - A 35 seconds reset time with no ability to return it yourself. Hey 343, please stop asking Bungie for advice on how to set up gametypes. These settings could work in BTB, but they have no place on small maps. It's impossible to reset the flag 9 out of 10 times. Change it to 15 seconds reset time and 5 second return time. While you're at it turn off the auto pick-up and let us juggle the flag, thanks in advance.
  • Matchmaking times - There's a 100.000 people playing BTB, why is it taking >5 minutes for us to find amatch?
  • Servers - Stop using the EA servers, we can't go into matchmaking half the time.
  • UI - It's a mess. Active Roster and the lobby menu have taken a huge step back. Who gives a fuck about player cards? Just show a list of horizantal names of players in the lobby and use the rest of the space you freed up to give players information about the gametype or something, don't fill it with huge buttons. Also make it so Active Roster is not a button press away, I want to see who's online and what they're doing all the time.
  • Framerate - Why am I getting framedrops while looking at a wall of a cave?
  • Killcams sitrecs - It's a feature that doesn't even work properly and was probably put into the game about a week before launch. I'm used to CoD killcams not being entirely accurate but the ones in Halo 4 simply don't work half the time. If you end up fixing them, make sure to add a final killcam to every gametype.
  • Filesharing - Why can't you do it on Waypoint yet? We seriously have to wait a month after launch for basic features to be available?
  • Theater - It's not there for campaign and spec ops which is sad, and it doesn't even work properly when you record clips.
  • Medals - They all look the same and disappear within half a second. You barely see them, let alone differentiate them from each other.
  • Steitzer - He's saying so much stuff that I've learned to tune out his voice. Now I can't really keep track of half the things that happens during objective games. He should only say stuff when it's important, not when I get a headshot.
  • Complex - Jetpack abuse to hell and back. All people do is go in or on top of one of the many buildings and take pot-shots at the enemy.
  • Longbow - The most one-dimensional map in the game. You take the middle structure and you shoot the enemy team spawning one either side of said base.
  • Meltdown - Has the longest tunnels known to man-kind.
  • Adrift - Hallways, crates, and more hallways.
  • Vortex - Half the map is meant for Dominion is isn't used outside of that gametype.
  • Weapons despawning - A 12 second despawn time? Really? Hey Kevin, if you don't want too many power weapons on the map don't reward to everyone who even does as much as fart in the general direction of the enemy.
  • Forge - No precision forging, objects are worse than in Reach, category object limit still exists, the Forge maps aren't good to Forge on, lighting makes all enclosed maps look bland as fuck, all that kind of stuff.
  • Instant respawns - I've had several occasions where I could finish off my own kills after dying and respawning immediately. RIP Halo
  • Loadouts - Rock, Paper, Scissors all day, every day. Along with ordnance it makes the game unpredictable in a bad way.
  • Sprint - Just give me a faster movement speed so I can shoot while moving around faster and so I don't slow down with I'm shot.
  • Oddball - Throwing the Oddball into the hands of an enemy player who's just coming around the corner is fun the first time, sure. But it's annoying more than anything when it happens to you. There should not be an auto pick-up for the ball.
  • Dominion - It's over within a minute half the time.
  • Audio - I can't hear my surroundings as well as I could in Reach. Not sure what it is, but something's messed up.
  • Options - Why can't I turn off Assassinations? Why can't I change my audio settings? Why can't I adjust my vertical sensitivity? It's 2012, people!
  • Hitdetection - Not sure on this one, but I feel like headshots aren't registering correctly half the time. I've seen myself hit people in the head several times only for them to just shrugs it off and run around the corner. Was a lot more consistent in (0% bloom) Reach.
  • Join-in-Progress - I don't want to join a game when it's nearly finished and the other team is ahead by a million points. Why can't I turn this shit off?
  • Post-game lobby - It lasts so short that by the time that you're done seeing how many credits you got you're already in the voting screen for the next game unable to back out. What happened to the 30-second post-game screen that existed in previous Halos?
  • Flood - The gametype has less flexibility than the old Infection gametype just so you guys could add a Flood skin that looks like it's ripped straight out of doom for the infected players? It's sad to see where your priorities lie, 343.
  • Lack of classic settings - Following up on what I said about the Flood gametype; Why are the customization options for some gametypes so limited?? 343 has actively ripped out customization options for CTF, Infection and Grifball and we can't even play Assault at all anymore.
  • King of the Hill - I don't have too much issues with it but the inconsistent respawn timer can be annoying at times. Sometimes it's instant , others it's 3 seconds. Also, don't put KotH on a map as segmented as Adrift.
  • Regicide - Rewards players who aren't in the lead and promotes not doing well until right towards the end. Another problem is that the King can get a kingtacular - resulting in an overshield - in the middle of a fight. That's just fucked up.
  • Killtimes - The game can be very slow in when you're in 1v1 situations. I honestly wouldn't mind 4-shot weapons.
  • Spec Ops - Wasted resources.
  • Death waypoints - What happened to the red Xs that appeared when people died? Those were extremely useful to get a good idea of where your teammates died and where the enemy is.
  • Shield recharge rate - Seems to be around as slow as it is in Reach. I don't want to spend 6 seconds behind cover waiting for my shields to recharge.

Things that are good in Halo 4 Infinity:

• Core gameplay - It's better than vanilla Reach.

This game is becoming increasingly frustrating every day I play it. I have the feeling like the game screws me over regularly which is something that has stopped me from playing CoD completely. I have never been so agitated by a Halo game this early after launch and I really don't see Title Updates fixing the problems that I have with the game.
spot on. After Halo 3, Reach and now 4, I think it's time we just accept we'll never get another Halo MP component (4's SP is great) as good as Halo 1/2.

RdN

Damn.. those Spartan models you guys are posting looks like shit.. Wtf with all the jaggies??

Also,

Might as well cross-post it here.

Killtimes - The game can be very slow in when you're in 1v1 situations.

The more I play, the more I agree with this. Firefights can get very boring.

Satchel

Banned
Overdoziz. I'm glad you're not making Halo.

The only REAL issues I've seen with MP so far.

Broken Killcams
JiP never seems to fill my team when I'm outnumbered. Only opposition
Lots of lag creeping in lately.
King of the hill is awesome except for the fucks that just play to up their KD ratio.

That's pretty much it.

Aside from that, which is mostly fixable, it's the best Halo MP by far.

Will get even better when SWAT arrives.

I agree that Spartan Ops seems somewhat worthless right now, but Firefight was shit anyway, so they cancel each other out.

Broken Killcams
King of the hill is awesome except for the fucks that just play to up their KD ratio.

That's pretty much it.

I agree that Spartan Ops seems somewhat worthless right now, but Firefight was shit anyway, so they cancel each other out.

I agree.

Sissel

Broken Killcams

That's pretty much it.

It's cool if you don't like the older Halo games. But if you liked the older Halo games, this game is not for you. The random weapon spawns are a terrible addition to the game. It leads to chaos, where you don't know what weapons the other team is packing and the match becomes a bunch of random bullshit.

Satchel

Banned
I'm loving the grenade strengthening perk.

No one uses it and it helps me dominate Haven and Adrift.

Also ordinance is fucking great. No more power weapon whoring scumbag pieces of shit in ma Haloz.

It's cool if you don't like the older Halo games. But if you liked the older Halo games, this game is not for you. The random weapon spawns are a terrible addition to the game. It leads to chaos, where you don't know what weapons the other team is packing and the match because of bunch of random bullshit.

I love the older Halo games. This one is better. You guys don't know what you're talking about.

see5harp

Second mission I guess. Just left the wreckage of the Forward Until Dawn.

I don't know, that was pretty impressive to me. Later in the game you do explore the Forerunner levels and I know you're a fan of super clean graphics. Those levels don't have much in terms of particles but everything looks like a damn razor blade. The music is also very cool and in those levels.

jdl

Banned
Finished the campaign. Must say I enjoyed Reach's much more. Although this is an admirable first outing for a fresh new team.

wwm0nkey

My spartan right now

fullbody

Sissel

Also ordinance is fucking great. No more power weapon whoring scumbag pieces of shit in ma Haloz.

I love the older Halo games. This one is better. You guys don't know what you're talking about.
lol. You clearly don't care for competitive, balanced Halo gameplay if you like the idea of random weapon drops and don't like the idea of map control and fighting for set power weapons on map.

Overdoziz

Banned

u r the bk of bks

Sissel

also, another problem with the MP. There are no "x"s on screen showing where your teamates died. Yes there is one on radar, but what if you are playing Team Slayer pro?

Ken

also, another problem with the MP. There are no "x"s on screen showing where your teamates died. Yes there is one on radar, but what if you are playing Team Slayer pro?

You should be pro enough to know where they died. Duh.

(thankfully that's not the case most of the time so I can spam assassinations in that mode)

• Filesharing - Why can't you do it on Waypoint yet? We seriously have to wait a month after launch for basic features to be available?
  • Medals - They all look the same and disappear within half a second. You barely see them, let alone differentiate them from each other.
  • Complex - Jetpack abuse to hell and back. All people do is go in or on top of one of the many buildings and take pot-shots at the enemy.
  • Weapons despawning - A 12 second despawn time? Really? Hey Kevin, if you don't want too many power weapons on the map don't reward to everyone who even does as much as fart in the general direction of the enemy.
  • Instant respawns - I've had several occasions where I could finish off my own kills after dying and respawning immediately. RIP Halo
  • Join-in-Progress - I don't want to join a game when it's nearly finished and the other team is ahead by a million points. Why can't I turn this shit off?
  • Post-game lobby - It lasts so short that by the time that you're done seeing how many credits you got you're already in the voting screen for the next game unable to back out. What happened to the 30-second post-game screen that existed in previous Halos?
  • Spec Ops - Wasted resources.
  • Death waypoints - What happened to the red Xs that appeared when people died? Those were extremely useful to get a good idea of where your teammates died and where the enemy is.

These are the big ones for me, and I would say my problem with the post game lobby being so short is that it starts about 80% of my games with uneven teams. Also, Spartan Ops is probably the only legitimate disappointment for me in this game, sooooo much potential.

Also my spartan:
b8YRl.png

Kerub

Banned
I only get framerate drops on the big maps with lots of things happening at once. I've never seen a noticable drop indoors or on small maps.

Majanew

Banned
CTF fucking sucks. How about single flag CTF, 343. And MP better get a title update by Tuesday, before Black Ops 2 kicks its teeth in.

Dreaver

Overall I think the game is way better than the garbage called Reach. I am really liking 4 so far. Also, Halo 2 is considered as the best halo (at least in the competitive scene), if I am right, a lot of mechanics were broken pre-patch. So yeah, give 4 some time.

Now we're talking about what should be changed, this is what I'd like to see:
- No search filter, I want one.
- Health should be slightly higher.
- Rifles should be nerfed in long distances.
- Getting hit should take you out of your scope.
- No 'x' when someone is dead.
- Games starting with unbalanced teams.
- Not enough maps (at least in Infinity slayer), map packs should fix this. Also I hope they add some good designed forge maps to the rotation.
- Not enough game variants in certain playlists (I'd like to see objectives as well in BTB).
- Movement while holding select for score (you can't move right now).
- I'd like to see my deaths as well when looking at the scoreboard.

Now I am sure there are more things that could make the game better. I hope they fix/add some of these things.

ido

First impressions:

I'm a lifelong Halo fan, and consider Halo CE the greatest Halo experience of all time. Nothing beats system link with multiple TVs and a house full of friends. And CE has felt the absolute smoothest to me as well.

Anyway, Halo 4 is good. I have only played through 3 levels, but it IS good. Probably will end up being second only to CE for me.

Why, why, why, why can't the Halo games let you set up controls the way you want? Default and presets are great, but what is the harm in giving me the option to set things how I wish?

Wish the field of view was as wide as CE, as well.

Also, I do not like the HUD. Feels like a blue tint over everything. Just a little distracting, imo.

Overall I think it is great, though. And coming from me that is saying something.

Satchel

Banned
lol. You clearly don't care for competitive, balanced Halo gameplay if you like the idea of random weapon drops and don't like the idea of map control and fighting for set power weapons on map.

It's the random drops that MAKE it balanced. As opposed to old Halo where one team camps around the power weapons and dominates the rest of the game with no way to swing it.

How old are you? They're called opinons.

32. Whining for the sake of whining is annoying, barely an "opinion".

u r the bk of bks

Yeah have fun with that.

fullbody

If you're expecting Halo 2 from this game, then you're not going to be satisfied. The dynamics of Halo have been altered on a fundamental level.

However, the game is still great fun, in my opinion maybe better than Halo 2 in many ways. I'll always love Halo 2 and 3's way the most, but I'm thoroughly enjoying this new experience too.

However, it is a shame that there isn't just a pure "Classic" playlist yet, with predetermined weapon spawns, no loadouts or perks, just AR/BR starts. But they probably know people won't even give their game a shot if that was available, so they'll add it later down the line
along with a classic map pack to coincide with the release of Halo Anniversary 2

Top Bottom