• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Plasmid

Halo4

Right click on your spartan copy image location post (on firefox)

Ken

It's the random drops that MAKE it balanced. As opposed to old Halo where one team camps around the power weapons and dominates the rest of the game with no way to swing it.

That's more of a map/weapon/team issue then.

Reduce the amount of rounds in a power weapon to minimize how hard it sways the game in one team's favor. Rather than give the rocket launcher 4 shots, give it two. Cut the sniper rifle ammo in half.

Fix the maps to make certain areas easier to breach or harder to turtle in.

Learn to coordinate with your team?

Random drops don't help make it balanced; they can just as easily give a dominating team even more of an advantage as they can help a losing team get back into the game.

ido

Everyone always talks about Halo 2 as if it were the best. I find this strange.

My friends and I played CE HEAVILY on Xbox Connect and had a few friends that played "professionally" ... The midnight on the release of Halo 2, we were fucking READY.

We got home, started playing, and was instantly disappointed. The FOV in Halo 2 was like playing while looking through a toilet paper roll. To me there was nothing(except online play) that was better about 2 than CE.

I guess there are different pockets of Halo fans who adamantly have a favorite.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
Why the fuck can't I access my Halo Waypoint stats using Opera now? I was able to not even two hours ago.

My friends and I played CE HEAVILY on Xbox Connect and had a few friends that played "professionally" ... The midnight on the release of Halo 2, we were fucking READY.

We got home, started playing, and was instantly disappointed. The FOV in Halo 2 was like playing while looking through a toilet paper roll. To me there was nothing(except online play) that was better about 2 than CE.

2 is mostly remembered for adding great midrange weapons, having better jump/movement speed, having the highest skill ceiling, and having GREAT maps.

To many people (me included), it is the quintessential Halo experience, partly because it was the first that most people got heavily into because of the online. I also think it was much better balanced than either CE or 3, but that may just be nostalgia because I vaguely remember there being issues with the plasma pistol/BR combo

ido

This may be a long shot, but is there any one who isn't going to use their two-week XBL trail that came with Halo 4? I hate begging, but I figure if someone isn't going to use theirs, it might as well go to some use. :)

soldat7

I really want a SWAT playlist! :-(

SWAT will always and forever be garbage. Until dedicated servers, that is.

Halo CE is a peerless experience indeed. However, I personally have just as many fond memories of 2, and to date it remains the quintessential XBOX Live experience.

Yeah, it's like the De_Dust of this game. I really should get with some community for BTB games so we can outvote these jerks. Our votes barely count with three in a group. :/

Veto strikes again. Ah, the good old days when we didn't have it...

def sim

Just when I thought I was done playing barbie with my spartan, the game lets me preview some more armor sets and I see oceanic. I want to be a pointless, deep sea soldier now.

edit: ^^ ffffffffuu-

Zeal

Banned
Two major problems.

Incineration cannon is the most over the top, ridiculously powerful weapon ever. Nerf that piece of shit into the ground if you want people to still play multilayer.

And two, people are somehow successfully standbying again and lagging out teams that are winning. Feels like the Halo 2 days all over.

Other than that, all is good.

Ken

Two major problems.

Incineration cannon is the most over the top, ridiculously powerful weapon ever. Nerf that piece of shit into the ground if you want people to still play multilayer.

And two, people are somehow successfully standbying again and lagging out teams that are winning. Feels like the Halo 2 days all over.

Other than that, all is good.

The Rocket Launcher is better, IMO.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
YZhyi.png

I haven't really unlocked anything cool yet.

Sissel

It's the random drops that MAKE it balanced. As opposed to old Halo where one team camps around the power weapons and dominates the rest of the game with no way to swing it.
no, it's not balanced. It makes it random and therefore not good for competitive play... In old Halo, if you couldn't overcome a team with power weapons, your team failed to work as a team. And no, you can't dominate the rest of a game with 4 rockets.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
From that long ass rant the one thing I agree most with is the medals and other UI stuff not being as crisp as in Reach. In Reach I instantly got feedback when I did something cool. Now the medals do vanish way too quickly to make them out and yeah they do all look way too similar whereas they were very distinct in Reach. Same thing with the commendations. I loved the bronze, gold, silver system visually and I really dislike the negative color space progress bar. Having to read it right to left is not intuitive.

Raxus

What level are you on? Anyone else wanna give some tips for me? I'm on lvl.2

Just finished level 5. Only helpful tips I can give is that the plasma pistol is god on solo runs. Knights are near impossible to kill otherwise. If there is a specific point you get stuck on let me know and I can offer better advice.

Plasma Pistol + Magnum. Light Rifles for the latter levels without covies.

Aim for the head, Let them kill each other. Cake Walk

Duh, this isn't my first rodeo. Even knowing this certain portions are crazy stupid to solo. I am looking at you small cave with 3 banshees and like 4 ghosts.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
At what time Spartan Ops episode 2 will be out?
I'm guessing it will be "unlocked" at 5AM EST, which is when challenges reset each day. It might not be that logical though.

You die faster, but describing it as a twitch shooter is hyperbolic. It's still Halo with a rewards system that should be reworked.

You die significantly faster, which fundamentally changes the gameplay and tips the scale from skill-based to twitch-based IMO.

Other factors that play into this are the nerfing of key armor abilities and grenades, as well as giving the player more powerful guns.

But seriously, those grenades are a joke.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I am about to finish the 6th campaign mission on Legendary. This game has been an absolute joy so far. The art and graphics are breathtaking, the gameplay is spot on, the production values and direction of cutscenes is phenomenal and nigh most important of all the story so far is great and the improvements in technology really help sell the emotions of characters in a way previous Halo games just couldn't do.

Also I am VERY glad that I powered though Cryptum right before launch. It cannot be overstated how much reading this book has enriched my experience and my understanding of the Story. (my buddy that I am playing through campaign on coop did not read it, wish he had, because the amount of "oh shit that is from Cryptum" moments in this game is pretty high). I heavily recommend reading it to any Halo fans, or anyone looking to get more out of the Halo 4 story.

Will probably finish off campaign tonight or tomorrow. Can't wait.

PS The multiplayer is freaking amazing as well, about 20 hours in, level 33, and loving every second of it.

Satchel

Banned
That's more of a map/weapon/team issue then.

Reduce the amount of rounds in a power weapon to minimize how hard it sways the game in one team's favor. Rather than give the rocket launcher 4 shots, give it two. Cut the sniper rifle ammo in half.

Fix the maps to make certain areas easier to breach or harder to turtle in.

Learn to coordinate with your team?

Random drops don't help make it balanced; they can just as easily give a dominating team even more of an advantage as they can help a losing team get back into the game.

Well, all I know is, it works for me. We've turned matches around many times thanks to the random drops (which don't even happen that often).

def sim

You die significantly faster, which fundamentally changes the gameplay and tips the scale from skill-based to twitch-based IMO.

Other factors that play into this are the nerfing of key armor abilities and grenades, as well as giving the player more powerful guns.

But seriously, those grenades are a joke.

Yes, dying faster changes how the game plays but a twitch shooter, aka Quake or Unreal, it is not. It's just an extreme way to get a point across.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
What armor abilities are you guys using mostly? I'm guessing its Promethean Vision?

I used different ones depending on loadout and gametype/map.

I like promethean vision a lot, but also use the Auto Turret and Regen Field quite a bit.

Never really been fond of Jetpacks for my own use, but I use BJ so they are useless anyways. Unfortunately, Hardlight Shield is also not as useful because of BJ. I wish they would implement a control scheme that is the best of both worlds as some stated earlier in the thread.

Man I'm pretty sure that joining in progress cheated me out of a perfection. So I didn't even realize until I was replaying the match in theater, but apparently I joined the game in progress, like after one or two kills. So I got a commendation, but no medal.

It was 4 on 4 infinity slayer, I didn't even realize that I had gone the whole match without getting killed until I saw the score report after. I went on a tear after getting a SAW ordinance drop, and I used the last of that SAW ammo to get another ordinance drop and a refill! The opposing team was pretty bad, but I had one really close call where I rounded a corner and found two of them where I expected one. My shields went down fast but they couldn't hit shit after that, and then a teammate of mine killed both of their asses with the sword.

Getting kills with the railgun is going to be a bitch, every time I use it it's usually to hit a vehicle and then that's classed as a vehicle kill :/ the armour you unlock for doing it all isn't that great looking too, nothing as funky as the other spec stuff.

Kerub

Banned
I'm using wallhack on the smaller maps and jetpack on the bigger maps.

I know jetpack is annoying, hehe. But it's the only way I can keep my K/D above 1. :-D

Top Bottom