• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Juice

Was out of that country, so I'm just now starting the campaign...

... Boy, is it sparse and repetitive or what? I'm about three hours in and I'm not sure how to keep myself motivated to keep going.

stktt

Banned
Was out of that country, so I'm just now starting the campaign...

... Boy, is it sparse and repetitive or what? I'm about three hours in and I'm not sure how to keep myself motivated to keep going.

It's my favorite campaign since CE.

Izayoi

Banned
Yes there is.
If there were, I missed them. Other than enemies, what was mentioned in direct reference to campaign? Master Chief is never brought up at all and even
Didact
isn't mentioned outside of the initial cutscene, and even then not by name.

watership

If there were, I missed them. Other than enemies, what was mentioned in direct reference to campaign? Master Chief is never brought up at all and even
Didact
isn't mentioned outside of the initial cutscene, and even then not by name.

They mention the New Phoenix event, Lasky is now in command of Infinity which is something that happens due to the events of the game. There are undoubtedly going to be events that directly relate to what happen in the campaign, as there are 8 more episodes to watch.

An-Det

Is the Weekly Spartan Ops Challenge 'Heroic Episode' broken or am I doing something wrong? I did all five chapters in Episode 2 via matchmaking (matchmaking is Heroic) and it didn't complete it.

What's the best episode to get that Hunter challenge?

Hacksaw, Solo on Easy. At the start run forward and get the Rocket Launcher, then run to the right towards the pair of hunters and kill them both (2 shots each, at the body). Reload and repeat.

Just finished. Easily my favorite Halo. There were meaningful cutscenes, good dialolgue, fun gameplay....I'm not sure if on an overall game basis it was great or just in comparison to previos Halo games. I'm still debating.

So the weekly challenge of 18 regicides is just asking for people to boost if they want it right? Seems quite odd.

Yeah I've never even gotten close to doing that in a game without just winning and it ending. With only two weekly multiplayer challenges, it sucks to see them both be regicide and especially ones that seem better suited for a daily.

Izayoi

Banned
Is the Weekly Spartan Ops Challenge 'Heroic Episode' broken or am I doing something wrong? I did all five chapters in Episode 2 via matchmaking (matchmaking is Heroic) and it didn't complete it.
Did them all solo Legendary and completed it. Dunno.

So the weekly challenge of 18 regicides is just asking for people to boost if they want it right? Seems quite odd.

Seems virtually impossible to get that challenge done unless you don't kill anyone but low-bounty kings. If my math is right, doing that nets you about 270 points (18 kills at 15 points each) with 30 extra points in case you get regicides with a higher bounty or extra kills.

FyreWulff

So.....uh....anyone else steal your teammates ordinance drops? >> <<

Was trying to figure out if you can resupply someone else with them.. tried to drop my Sniper ordnance on Devo who was already sniping because I don't like sniping, but it seemed to not be letting her re-ammo off it.

Izayoi

Banned
They mention the New Phoenix event, Lasky is now in command of Infinity which is something that happens due to the events of the game. There are undoubtedly going to be events that directly relate to what happen in the campaign, as there are 8 more episodes to watch.
So... What's the
New Phoenix
event? I probably should've paid better attention during Campaign.

watership

So... What's the
New Phoenix
event? I probably should've paid better attention during Campaign.

I figured you did since you've been complaining too much. :)
When the Didact fired the composer at the earth, it hit New Phoenix and digitized/killed the entire populated area. It's in the post credits cinematic. Show troops investigating on earth, and then the Chief's slow walk down the Spartan Deck on Infinity to get his armor off.

Edit: Beaten, a bunch

Xamdou

Not sure if posted yet but details on first 24 hours sales tally among other legendary stats:

Microsoft's new sci-fi shooter mints $20 million more than Halo: Reach on launch day, is on pace to hit $300 million in first-week global sales.

Halo 4, the most expensive game Microsoft has ever made, is off to the hottest start in the franchise's history. Microsoft announced today that its new sci-fi shooter minted $220 million on its first day and is poised to haul $300 million in first-week global sales.

Halo 4 blasted past 2010's Bungie Studios-developed Halo: Reach, which hauled $200 million on its first day (in the US and Europe). Additionally, Halo 4's launch day sales are better than 2007's Halo 3, which took in $170 million in 24 hours (in the US alone). Total combined Halo series life-to-date sales now stand at about $3.38 billion, Microsoft said.

Microsoft claims Halo 4's debut is the "biggest entertainment launch of the year" thus far. That record may not hold for very long, as Activision's Call of Duty: Black Ops II--already breaking retailer records--releases tomorrow.

In netting $220 million in day-one sales, Halo 4 surpassed the first-day United States box office tallies of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 and The Avengers, Microsoft said.

Halo 4 also broke the franchise record for most players at launch. During the game's first five days, more than 4 million players spent time in the game, logging some 31.4 million hours. This pushes the total number of gameplay hours across all Halo titles to "well beyond" five billion, Microsoft said.

Additionally, Microsoft's Halo 4: Forward Unto Dawn Web series has drawn 46 million total views to date, Microsoft said. According to the company, 39 million of these views came through Machinima's YouTube channel alone.

Source: http://www.gamespot.com/news/halo-4-drives-220-million-in-24-hours-6399918

luxarific

Nork unification denier
Probably the prettiest game I've ever played on the 360.

Hate the helmet HUD in sp though. Way too much haze. I feel like I'm looking through mist.

I noticed some people wondering about a couple of this week's challenges, specifically the Deposed and Heroic Episode ones.

Deposed says to get 18 Regicides in one match, but myself and a couple other people in the games I was in earlier today seemed to get it after getting 18 over the course of two matches. I don't know if it is for sure, but I certainly didn't get all the way to 18 in one match. Try getting 9 in two consecutive matches and see if it unlocks for you.

I also completed all 5 chapters in Episode 2 of Spartan Ops through matchmaking but didn't get credit for the challenge, until I went back and beat Core (Ch. 5) from Episode 1 on Legendary solo, which also gave me another challenge for this week as well. (Refers to Core on Artifact rather than Departure for some reason, but Core is obviously not in the Artifact episode.) I'm not sure why playing that worked to unlock the Heroic Episode challenge but seems like some have been buggy for some reason. It probably has something to do with the fact that in Waypoint it refers to the mission/chapter with a "-1" ID tag, so maybe there is some kind of code issue with challenges for Spartan Ops.

Same thing for last week's Legendary Episode challenge that didn't unlock until I beat Land Grab, or Ep. 1 Ch. 1, for the second time on Legendary. I played them through in order all on Legendary, no credit, play first mission again, unlocked. Seems like it is something similar going on with this week's challenge, only with replaying Core on Legendary rather than the first mission of Episode 2.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Anyone miss the needle rifle?

Yes, that was my favorite new gun from reach. So satisfying, and I loved the look of it as well.

I knew I was going to miss it even before launch.

That said, the "Rifle" slot would be a bit crowded with the DMR, BR, LR, and NR. So I can see why the probably left it out.

Awesome weapon though.

XenoRaven

What's a good playlist to play if I sort of like the game but absolutely fucking hate dealing with people hiding in corners and behind rocks picking everyone off with DMRs?

Like seriously. What fucking game am I playing?

Anybody know what the three maps in December consist of? Two medium, one large would be great.

I hope that's what it is for every map pack. There should be more small/medium maps than large. I still think big team is fun, but it's saturated with too many vehicles to be balanced in any way.

Sorry if it's been discussed a ton but why is the DMR already considered better than the BR or any other starting weapon in the game?

It's so damn good at both long range and medium range. Medium range, shoot without zoom; long range, shoot with zoom. 4~5 shots to the head and you get a killl.

MrDaravon

Finally have all of the achievements except for the three tied to Spartan Ops stuff. Having been through the Campaign three times now, I never want to touch it again. So boring, AI is broken, new enemies are boring as shit to fight, no big epic open areas from past games, and scoring is gone. Spartan Ops needs to also not be terrible very very quickly to justify it's existence, especially as replacing Firefight.

Also had my first personal "fuck you" at the game for not having Campaign recording; after a week we were finally able to get a 4-player co-op Campaign going without it being total dogshit (it still went to shit every now and then). Had an amazing moment as we had managed to get a Warthog through some checkpoints that weren't intended due to being teleported to people in the lead. We got it into one of the foreunner structures, and as it teleported in the door started closing down on top of the Warthog. The door stalled for a moment, then slowly started pushing the Warthog down through the floor, then amazingly exploded. It was honestly probably the best thing I have seen happen so far in my time with the game, and the immediate reaction all of us had was "we have to make a clip of that" only to immediately realize that we can't. Fucking depressing.

Top Bottom