• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Spartan Ops has pretty bad encounters. It feels like they just crammed as many enemies in one area as the engine could hold and let you loose in the environments.

I don't know how many more times I can stand hearing, "We got more contacts Crimson, take them out!"

Firefight 2.0, and I liked Firefight.

Petrie

Banned
What's a good playlist to play if I sort of like the game but absolutely fucking hate dealing with people hiding in corners and behind rocks picking everyone off with DMRs?

Like seriously. What fucking game am I playing?

If you hate people trying to play the game well, you should probably just play Spartan Ops or custom games?

Van Owen

Banned
Spartan Ops has pretty bad encounters. It feels like they just crammed as many enemies in one area as the engine could hold and let you loose in the environments.

I don't know how many more times I can stand hearing, "We got more contacts Crimson, take them out!"

Firefight 2.0, and I liked Firefight.

Yeah, it's weird that it actually has dedicated "designers". Dudes spawn, flip some switches, more spawns.

And did they already reuse a map from the first episode? It felt like it.

XenoRaven

If you hate people trying to play the game well, you should probably just play Spartan Ops or custom games?
It's not about playing well. It's about me finding the style of play you have to engage in to be competitive being completely boring and lame.

I realize I'm probably in the minority. But I'm pretty disappointed in this game and needed to vent.

Petrie

Banned
It's not about playing well. It's about me finding the style of play you have to engage in to be competitive being completely boring and lame.

Using cover and trying to stay alive?

Not sure what style you're looking for, but you should probably stick to objective games perhaps? No Slayer for sure.

XenoRaven

Using cover and trying to stay alive?

Not sure what style you're looking for, but you should probably stick to objective games perhaps? No Slayer for sure.
I don't need to be patronized thanks. I know how to play Slayer. I don't like that you can just start with a DMR, hide in one spot and then be rewarded with new weapons that help you continue to hide in one spot and pick people off. That happens in Call of Duty. I don't play Call of Duty.

jet1911

I don't need to be patronized thanks. I know how to play Slayer. I don't like that you can just start with a DMR, hide in one spot and then be rewarded with new weapons that help you continue to hide in one spot and pick people off. That happens in Call of Duty. I don't play Call of Duty.

Tried Dominion?

Bizazedo

I haven't. I honestly don't even know what it is. I'll give it a shot.

Part of my problem is I've always really liked BTB, and it CAN be really fun in this game, but most times it is insufferable for me.

I actually feel the same way as you do. Really not a fan of people being able to start with the DMR in non Swat modes.

Been playing a lot of Oddball as a result.

Valhalla is absolutely terrible in this game. People were aware of how the DMR would break this map for years now, so I'm astounded how nothing was changed to account for this weapon. The vast majority of this map has been turned into death zones which have killed map movement.

Valhalla is absolutely terrible in this game. People were aware of how the DMR would break this map for years now, so I'm astounded how nothing was changed to account for this weapon. The vast majority of this map has been turned into death zones which have killed map movement.
The BR is far better balanced. It sucks at long range.

Shame they can't really change these things post-release. Because of loadouts.

Killer

Banned
Sure it isn't something on your end? I know I've had barely any issues.

This a known issue to non-US players. The game will match you with americans rather than people in your region. Also the netcode is not good at all. In Reach it still playable even if you were matched with Americans. I have many of friends shelving this game until its fixed or shift to Black ops 2.

All 4 were reused, You play them in reverse...
Yep. Didn't we have pre-launch confirmation that these would be new spaces, separate from campaign? Because so far they seem to have a few campaign spaces being re-used and then re-used again.

At least I found out tonight that UNSC weapon crates (not the weapon racks) reload all your ammo for UNSC weapons. Dunno how I missed that up to this point.

Still having fun with these though, although I wish there was real incentive to stay alive.

pakkit

Banned
Suck it DMR haters.

Reach players are at a huge advantage over those who are returning to the franchise after Halo 3, imo. The cadence of the DMR is still king, and being able to start with it in almost every gametype...delicious.

Tokubetsu

Suck it DMR haters.

Reach players are at a huge advantage over those who are returning to the franchise after Halo 3, imo. The cadence of the DMR is still king, and being able to start with it in almost every gametype...delicious.

iHT3FlPL3jnDz.gif

*daps*

UNSC made the perfect weapon.

Red_Man

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I enjoy Valhalla, but the overpopulation of DMR users really does hurt it's enjoyment level, and often results in 5 guys behind the hill shooting at each other for the entire match.

Suck it DMR haters.

I see plenty of Reach players trying to Reach for that sprinting double melee only to be denied by my bullets to their face. But the DMR is pretty much my go to, it still has bloom but it's practically cosmetic as the spread barely has any effect.

The BR is far better balanced. It sucks at long range.

Shame they can't really change these things post-release. Because of loadouts.
They could still make a playlist with forced preset loadouts, like Slayer Pro.

NBtoaster

Finished the game. Seems to be as good as Halo 3 and ODST, which were the best of the series IMO. Some of the reviewer complaints were apt about the "go to these two different places to do these 3 same things" design. The "Shutdown" mission was pretty rediculous in that.

So I hear the max rank is like 50 but is there anything beyond that?
I mean it's kind of crazy that Reach had a max rank that would take over a year's worth of playtime to reach and then they flip that so far the other way that people are almost there in 4.

Ken

I mean it's kind of crazy that Reach had a max rank that would take over a year's worth of playtime to reach and then they flip that so far the other way that people are almost there in 4.

After 50 you choose a specialization that adds another 10 levels.

_woLf

Think I'm going to take a break, hot joining and almost always being down 3 v 4 or 3 v 5 in games is really getting to me. Instead of letting the game start with uneven teams, just fucking find an additional player.

Probably the absolute worst matchmaking system I've ever seen. Whoever came up with that garbage needs a new day job.

Technically the max rank in Halo 4 is 130. That's after you get every specialization.

Who knows, maybe they'll add some more down the line?

I was told Spartan Ops would be similar to Game of Thrones and Lost.
I was lied to. You can't achieve good plot/character development in 3 minute clips once a week.

I'm still hoping for a Halo TV show.

I'm also hoping for more variation in the gameplay chapters.

kyo27

Man it feels like all people do in slayer is sit crouched with the invisibility cloak and wait for the other team to run by so they can shoot them in the back.

rakka

Think I'm going to take a break, hot joining and almost always being down 3 v 4 or 3 v 5 in games is really getting to me. Instead of letting the game start with uneven teams, just fucking find an additional player.

Probably the absolute worst matchmaking system I've ever seen. Whoever came up with that garbage needs a new day job.
yeah it let's you quit even when full teams have been found.

at least in reach people could only quit during the game, not fucking right before it starts. nice job 343.

Man it feels like all people do in slayer is sit crouched with the invisibility cloak and wait for the other team to run by so they can shoot them in the back.
just another thing that reach did better. at least you could tell when someone was using camo on the radar

Krilekk

Banned
Finally finished the fight after 5 hours on easy. It left me with the feeling of being the best Halo yet but still lacking in certain aspects. There's only one Halo like mission in the game, I think it's the fifth. That one offers open combat and closed combat, exploration, length. Took me about one hour just to beat that level. The rest is a step behind. The first third of the game is just corridor shooting with a few larger arenas thrown in. And the last third feels like it's one mission stretched over three. It's all beautiful and fun (although they've gone a bit too far with the light effects, at times it's annoying) but it feels like it was trimmed of all its fat like Halo 2.

Oh and one thing really bothers me with recent Halos: Return to battlefield in 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... seconds. Seriously? I want to explore. Why give me huge areas where I can only walk 50 meters in any direction before being instakilled?

Suck it DMR haters.

I prefer the feel of the BR, though. That three-round burst is just delicious. Too bad it's lost all accuracy it had during Halo 2 and 3.

Finally finished the fight after 5 hours on easy. It left me with the feeling of being the best Halo yet but still lacking in certain aspects. There's only one Halo like mission in the game, I think it's the fifth. That one offers open combat and closed combat, exploration, length. Took me about one hour just to beat that level. The rest is a step behind. The first third of the game is just corridor shooting with a few larger arenas thrown in. And the last third feels like it's one mission stretched over three. It's all beautiful and fun (although they've gone a bit too far with the light effects, at times it's annoying) but it feels like it was trimmed of all its fat like Halo 2.

Oh and one thing really bothers me with recent Halos: Return to battlefield in 10 ... 9 ... 8 ... seconds. Seriously? I want to explore. Why give me huge areas where I can only walk 50 meters in any direction before being instakilled?

The best part is: they even put areas like that on places that are next on your path. You can't dodge objectives, it seems. Like on the mission with the Mammoth. Until you take down that lich, there's a soft kill barrier on the rest of the map.

Red

There are a couple of decent missions, but the netcode sucks, so be ready to play them all by yourself. On the whole it's not very good, probably the least fun element of the game. Kind of disappointing.
Damn :(

Hopefully later missions improve.

Why is del rio such a huge asshole?

Dennis

Banned
I feel protective of her but that is just my bigoted patriarchal nature I guess. Roll on new Tomb Raider!

Attracted?....nah.

Cloaking in flood is silly and needs to be removed, give it to the host in a choke point room and he can clean up without being lunge locked onto making it hard to hit them.

Also american host advantage, being a uk player sucks in this game.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Finished the game. Seems to be as good as Halo 3 and ODST, which were the best of the series IMO. Some of the reviewer complaints were apt about the "go to these two different places to do these 3 same things" design. The "Shutdown" mission was pretty rediculous in that.
I'm still feeling mixed about the game in the end, but it's definitely of good quality. I actually think Reach is a better game at this point but I liked Halo 4 in the end.

I will admit that the first part of the last mission was really unexpected and awesome which goes against the predictable nature of the rest of the game. I dunno, I just don't feel like the game ever opened its wings fully. The campaign felt compressed in some way and not a whole lot actually happened.

Solid game but not as memorable as Bungie's work.

Completed the second mission by reloading the save and no mission-achievement.

I hoped 343 fixed this thing of having to finish the whole level in a row to unlock the achievements that was present in all the previous halos, but still no luck...

Playing on solo legendary takes too much time of trial and error and i dont' have much time ...

Top Bottom