• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Red

I just got to the artifact in mission 7. What's up with those disk-like forerunner things? There is one earlier in the game too, I think right before the first terminal. Cortana reads an inscription from it. Is that a book thing?

Some pretty good fights over the last couple of missions, but it still doesn't feel like I've hit a crescendo moment. Maybe it's because the standard level of action is so high, it kind of feels flat overall. It's tough to describe, I don't know if it's because missions are mostly "press the button" affairs (and you must admit, Master Chief does push a lot of buttons), or because many battles rely on small periodic waves of enemies instead of one large deluge, but it doesn't feel punctuated by combat sequences like past games. Rather, it feels punctuated by set pieces: new vehicles, bigger explosions, brighter lights.

Looking forward to playing more tomorrow. Maybe I'll get a chance to dive into SPOPs later this week.

Man, bumper jumper is fucking rad. It took a few hours to get used to it but I'm playing so much better now. I still kinda wish sprint and crouch were swapped, but oh well. Getting headshots while bunny-hopping like a motherfucker is just so satisfying.

xCobalt

Any idea how xp is calculated in spartan ops? Is it better to do it solo or with a party? Not sure whether time completed or amount of kills is more important. I'm guessing with solo you can level up your commendations quicker.

FStop7

Banned
From the way Spartan Ops was so heavily hyped on the E3 Bombcast by the 343 guys my expectations were a lot higher.

Indeed. Specifically more different weapons. Power weapons are out of question so we can't get stuff like railguns or shotguns...
Not that you could add many weapons to what we already have. Burst, automatics, slow single shot, fast single shot, what else we could have without it being a power weapon?

AR variants that offer different balance between RPM, range, damage. Different zoom choices for the LMR and battle rifle. An SMG. A shotgun.

Also there either too many vehicles or some sort of imbalance. I've played on some maps where the other team shows up with a couple of warthogs and a tank or wraith, and our side only has maybe a warthog, a quad, and maybe a ghost. And basically the whole match consists of dudes in vehicles just mowing down everyone helplessly.

Striker

My main issue with this game is that there really aren't enough maps. When's the first map pack out?
There's one less than Halo 3 and two less than Halo 2 regarding launch maps. I think, like Halo 3, there's a few that is just not very good and are put in playlists that they typically do not belong. Abandon and Complex from what I've played around in so far, don't seem to fit very well anywhere too well.

I do like Longbow, but it unfortunately seems to mainly pop up in Dominion (smaller scale version of BTB Heavies). Exile and Ragnarok are okay, but are shoved with too many power weapons and vehicles. I do enjoy Exile more in terms of layout - more routes and ways to attack your opponent, but the ordnances bring out so many explosive weapons.

Wait so are we actually going to end up downloading any Spartan Ops missions?

Or is it all just disc locked content that is only available if you have XBL?

Personally, I'm loving the multiplayer, even though I've only really played Infinity Slayer. I played one match of CTF and racked up a ton of flag defends as our team won 3-0 though :p

Finished campaign co-op on Heroic. End of the story was totally stupid, but whatever.

Red

Man, bumper jumper is fucking rad. It took a few hours to get used to it but I'm playing so much better now. I still kinda wish sprint and crouch were swapped, but oh well. Getting headshots while bunny-hopping like a motherfucker is just so satisfying.
It is the best for sure.

How is spops as a firefight replacement? Firefight in Reach had some of my all-time favorite gaming moments. It was such a blast.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Wait so are we actually going to end up downloading any Spartan Ops missions?

Or is it all just disc locked content that is only available if you have XBL?
"Season 1.0" is included on the disc, which I think is the first 10 episodes/weeks. It's assumed that it will continue past that, which would require downloads, but it's unknown if it'll be free content or not (I doubt it). Not sure how much of all this depends on the initial community response.

rakka

Sorry if it's been discussed a ton but why is the DMR already considered better than the BR or any other starting weapon in the game?

better range. requires more accuracy than BR in close combat but if you know how to aim it's killer.

unless you're being rushed by multiple power weapons at the same time. lol

BearPawB

Banned
I know people disagree, but i SUCK with the DMR. As soon as I switched to lightrifle my kd ratio started slowly climbing out of the pit i had built.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Yeah have to admit I was kind if surprised by the borderline broke n spawning system in SpOps
The best is when one of your co-op partners is an AFKer, so you spawn in on top of them, 500 miles away from the where you actually need to be.

vatstep

This is what the bulletin said about playlist updates:

Halo 4 Matchmaking updates will occur on a more frequent basis than what you’re accustomed to with Reach. Instead of monthly updates, we will be providing weekly updates, with the goal being to provide fresh content on a regular basis. We will maintain a static set of playlists and feature one or two “rotational” playlists on top of that. We will be monitoring trends and statistics closely so we can react accordingly to your preferences and likes. For instance, if one of our rotational playlists consistently holds a higher population than one of our static playlists, we will consider swapping them out based on player demand. The process will be fluid and based on numbers, and we’re extremely excited about the benefits of our new approach.
If I had to guess, it sounds like SWAT is a rotational playlist, and not necessarily permanent. However, since it's currently the third most-populated playlist, I bet they'll keep it around.

The Legendary campaign is such a huge downgrade from Reach...gameplay-wise...

Way too easy, can't remember a single sandbox after finishing it, so forgettable, easily one of the worst campaign of the series, on par with Halo 2's campaign.

Anyone with me?
>worst campaign
>equal to Halo 2's campaign

uhhhhhh

How many missions in campaign?

, if you really want to get technical
10 or so counting the Prologue and Epilogue levels. Save for the first one which serves as an introductory setpiece,
the levels are all filled to the brim with content; there's easily enough going on for 4 or even 5 levels in some of later missions if they pulled a Halo 2 and split things up. Think Reach but taken up to eleven.

Sojgat

Played through the campaign again, this time with a friend for co-op. We'd both finished the story already so we skipped all the cutscenes. It's disgusting how short this game is.

def sim

Double xp weekends is a good incentive to play the game. Basically, I don't want to buy a whole bunch of soda and chips that I'm not going to eat.

Izayoi

Banned
How is spops as a firefight replacement? Firefight in Reach had some of my all-time favorite gaming moments. It was such a blast.
There are a couple of decent missions, but the netcode sucks, so be ready to play them all by yourself. On the whole it's not very good, probably the least fun element of the game. Kind of disappointing.

Izayoi

Banned
Seriously though, enemies with unlimited range one-shot weapons and pinpoint range is not fun. I thought we learned this lesson in Halo 2?

Top Bottom