• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT| Spartans Never Die

Shadders

I didn't put a score on my review, but if I had it would have been:

Halo: CE > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo ODST > Halo: Reach.

Seance

Banned
Pretty please, anyone who wants to get Anniversary specific achievements in Reach add me:

NZ Seance

I will invite you and help you with any you want.

HiiiLife

So I'm confused. Is the bloom on the game for aesthetic purposes? The DMR looks as if it fires ALOT better than the Reach version.

Shadders

So I'm confused. Is the bloom on the game for aesthetic purposes? The DMR looks as if it fires ALOT better than the Reach version.

The bloom that you see now is just a visual indicator of when you can next fire.

EDIT: Just had a thought, this might not be the case with the pistol, not 100% sure.

Trey

It's still there. It's been modified so that its effect is mostly felt at range, which is the main reason for bloom's inclusion in the first place: to check the DMR's long range power.

In mid-range, where most firefights are held, bloom has a much more reduced effect on the outcome.

Shadders

Did everyone notice this shot?

H4-Campaign-Mission6-Pelican.jpg

Any chance this comes out on Games on Demand?

was Just about to ask this question. I'm just used to buying games digitally.
Definitely not day 1. At least there is no announcement yet.

The bloom that you see now is just a visual indicator of when you can next fire.

EDIT: Just had a thought, this might not be the case with the pistol, not 100% sure.
I do think Bloom is in but it works now. But I never had the real chance to observe it in detail.

I didn't put a score on my review, but if I had it would have been:

Halo: CE > Halo 4 > Halo 3 > Halo 2 > Halo ODST > Halo: Reach.

Let's see how that changes within the next six months, though. Nostalgia's a powerful thing, but so's the appeal of something new and shiny. I remember people raving about Reach when it came out, too.

Shadders

Let's see how that changes within the next six months, though. Nostalgia's a powerful thing, but so's the appeal of something new and shiny. I remember people raving about Reach when it came out, too.

Yeah this is definitely true, I tried to wait as long as I could after finishing the game before writing anything down so I had time to reflect on it. I think it's Multiplayer that is hardest to judge at this stage, the maps feel great at the moment, but it only takes someone to find an exploit and a map can become redundant.

Please tell me the trees move on Ragnarok like they do on Valhalla? This is a deal breaker...

Gah, I don't know this, I'll check tonight. :)

How is the scale as far as enemy encounters go? Anything that matches The Ark or The Covenant from Halo 3?

There's nothing on the scale of dual Scarabs, but in terms of numbers of enemies at a time it doesn't disappoint. I haven't gone through and counted, but I would say there are encounters with more enemies than we've had before.

Raide

I think they need to tweak the player cards. Name needs to be at the bottom and the Spartan suit info needs to be on the side. Feels weird having to tilt your head to check what players are called.

2San

Reach is great though, at least the co-op campaign is.

Popeck

The campaign is great. It's good to see 343 Industries dares to do at least some bold things with it, even though the game as a whole lacks originality. It's surprising how little the game seems to leave for the story to continue in Halo 5 as Halo 4 doesn't feel like a first part of a trilogy.

Having played the multiplayer quite a while now I am worried about the direction it's taking. There haven't been any people in the other playlists so I've been mostly playing Infinity Slayer. I don't like the pointstreak system and the only map I really do like is Haven for it's a more classic Halo map. The game feels a lot different compared to Halo 3, it's much faster and busier, at least in Infinity Slayer.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
does anyone know the exact details of system link with this game?

google is proving evasive all I can find is 'sytem link - 1-4'

I have 2 systems/2 tvs, can 4 guys play campaign and spartan ops?

Striker

The game feels a lot different compared to Halo 3, it's much faster and busier, at least in Infinity Slayer.
It will be more akin to Halo CE/2 because of the kill speeds and fast movement, but sprint is here to stay. Whether that's going to be a good thing or not remains to be seen.

Same for Halo 3. It's always its most popular when it just first comes out.

catfish,

David Ellis mentioned Spartan Ops being 2 player split. So if you have two TV and Xbox, it should be okay.

Ken

does anyone know the exact details of system link with this game?

google is proving evasive all I can find is 'sytem link - 1-4'

I have 2 systems/2 tvs, can 4 guys play campaign and spartan ops?

Yeah, there's 2 players split screen for SpOps.

Popeck

Anyone who's played the game; Does spartan ops suffer from lag/framerate issues??

I've only played it with one friend and we both have excellent Internet connections, but there might be a slight lag in the controls. The framerate was pretty solid. Visually it does seem a little bit uglier than the campaign, but maybe that's just me.

There are a few moments in the campaign that can give you stuttering in the framerate, especially in the large areas.

zap

I've only played it with one friend and we both have excellent Internet connections, but there might be a slight lag in the controls. The framerate was pretty solid. Visually it does seem a little bit uglier than the campaign, but maybe that's just me.

There are a few moments in the campaign that can give you stuttering in the framerate, especially in the large areas.

So it's the same co-op netcode as earlier games? Expected... but still disappointing.

How far away is your friend?

Striker

so faster top speed, or faster acceleration, or both? i think reach had both lower top speed and acceleration which made strafing really slow.
It used some type of inertia momentum, which is gone. Halo 3 had aim acceleration up the ass so driving and aiming were often always frustrating to wrestle with.

The base speed seems mixed in between Halo 3 and Halo 2's overall, but it shouldn't matter a whole lot since sprint is universal and with the right upgrade, it can be non-stop.

Popeck

So it's the same co-op netcode as earlier games? Expected... but still disappointing.

How far away is your friend?

He lives like 300 hundred meters from me. :D But the lag was really minimal and it didn't really affect the gaming experience after the first few moments.

I don't know how those Spartan Ops videos are handled, but the first CGI episode was very blurry at first and the quality wasn't that great after that either.

so faster top speed, or faster acceleration, or both? i think reach had both lower top speed and acceleration which made strafing really slow.
Both. I hate how slow Reach is. 4 is terms of core gameplay much better than Reach. :)

I don't know how those Spartan Ops videos are handled, but the first CGI episode was very blurry at first and the quality wasn't that great after that either.
It was expected since the HaloWaypoint community interview with Frankie. Sigh. I wished they wouldn't have used the streaming way. :/ Halo.bungie.org here I come!

Mik2121

So... I'm quite the Halo fan (not crazy but still enough to have two artbooks, all the games and a few toys, including one Halo 4 model I got in my office lol), but I have barely seen anything regarding Halo 4. I don't know anything about the story except that it's after Halo 3, I don't know anything about this Infinity stuff, and I'm a huge Forge fan yet haven't seen anything at all (except the 3 thumbnails in the op) regarding Forge for Halo 4.

I guess I'm in for quite a few surprises? :p

So... I'm quite the Halo fan (not crazy but still enough to have two artbooks, all the games and a few toys, including one Halo 4 model I got in my office lol), but I have barely seen anything regarding Halo 4. I don't know anything about the story except that it's after Halo 3, I don't know anything about this Infinity stuff, and I'm a huge Forge fan yet haven't seen anything at all (except the 3 thumbnails in the op) regarding Forge for Halo 4.

I guess I'm in for quite a few surprises? :p
You definitely are. But you may be disappointed with Forge because it is a lot like Reach's forge with few additions.

L1NETT

Edit: Nvm

Edit 2.0: Shadders, (not a story spoiler, just want to keep it a surprise)
Is the Mammoth section completely on rails? Is it a disappointing section, similar to the falcon section in Reach?

Shadders

Edit: Nvm

Edit 2.0: Shadders, (not a story spoiler, just want to keep it a surprise)
Is the Mammoth section completely on rails? Is it a disappointing section, similar to the falcon section in Reach?

Mission spoilers, no plot details:

You don't drive the Mammoth, so you could argue that it is on rails, but you're free to leave the Mammoth either on foot or in a 'Hog. In fact you have to leave the Mammoth at some points. In that particular mission the Mammoth is like a mobile base, you go and do your thing and keep coming back to get ammo or replace your 'Hog gunner because you got the other one killed.

So are we fighting the full gallery of Covenant enemy types? I know there are grunts and elites, but what about them hunters?

Hunters are in as are Jackals, but that's it, no Brutes or Drones.

Top Bottom