• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Reviews are interesting in MP-specific games for the very reason we've seen with Halo 4. Post-launch support has been great in some areas and confusing as hell in others. It's clear 343 is trying, but the playlist management is ultimately puzzling and the weapon choices in said playlists even more so. Makes it hard to write reviews, but ultimately the review has to be done for the game as it stands at that time or you'd always be updating it.

I've been mostly pro Halo 4 as a competitive shooter overall (not so much as a core Halo game) but even though I don't post about it a ton I have seen the same issues most of the folks here have. I just wrestle with it a lot because I do like the game as a competent multiplayer shooter, and it does have a Halo wrapper, but it's not the core Halo I know from the past. It's odd playing a game you like and dislike at the same time for entirely different reasons.
Beyond post-launch support, I always thought reviewing MP games (or MP aspects of games) was a tough thing to do simply because your own play and how the community plays the game evolves over time, especially after the first week or two.

I think we've all had a different opinion on a competitive MP portion of a game 3 months after launch as opposed to after playing it for a few days.

Beyond post-launch support, I always thought reviewing MP games (or MP aspects of games) was a tough thing to do simply because your own play and how the community plays the game evolves over time, especially after the first week or two.

I think we've all had a different opinion on a competitive MP portion of a game 3 months after launch as opposed to after playing it for a few days.

True, like if I threw a review out on Halo 4 the first three days I'd of said hell yea the MP is awesome. Then a week later I'd be like "game stinks"

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I'm so glad I'm going to be at PAX and Halo 4 GC instead of watching people who don't know a lot about Halo (Major Nelson, Jessica Chobot etc) hosting the event on XBL. I am glad however that Bravo and Goldenboy are commentating it.

CyReN

I'm so glad I'm going to be at PAX and Halo 4 GC instead of watching people who don't know a lot about Halo (Major Nelson, Jessica Chobot etc) hosting the event on XBL. I am glad however that Bravo and Goldenboy are commentating it.

It's like they tried to cram everyone I didn't watch at G4 onto this stream.

Fuchsdh

Aside from The Pit, no one wants to play the other map which usually is always king of the kill.

So Ricochet is only on the Pit or what.

Because Ricochet is only on the Pit until it premieres as a general playlist.

Will be interesting to see how it works on maps like Skyline and Haven. On the Pit you can basically score from your team's side of the wall if you chuck it high enough. On most of the other maps for the list that's not an option. They will probably require more usage of passing.

Because Ricochet is only on the Pit until it premieres as a general playlist.

Will be interesting to see how it works on maps like Skyline and Haven. On the Pit you can basically score from your team's side of the wall if you chuck it high enough. On most of the other maps for the list that's not an option. They will probably require more usage of passing.

Got a link to wherever you saw the full list?

Ricochet is pretty darn fun. Can't wait to start playing it on other maps.

Tawpgun

Yeah I'm really interested to see where they put the goals.

I'm also wondering how the game might play without radar...

And I think they should reduce then size of the goals a bit.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Yeah I'm really interested to see where they put the goals.

I'm also wondering how the game might play without radar...

And I think they should reduce then size of the goals a bit.

I agree with the last point. On Pitfall you can score from half-way across the map just by chucking the ball. I think you should be able to score with a solid throw, but it shouldn't just be an "oh shit I'm getting shot, let me throw the ball as high as I can towards the goal" and it goes in thing. It should be deliberate.

Tawpgun

I agree with the last point. On Pitfall you can score from half-way across the map just by chucking the ball. I think you should be able to score with a solid throw, but it shouldn't just be an "oh shit I'm getting shot, let me throw the ball as high as I can towards the goal" and it goes in thing. It should be deliberate.
This, and if there's any way to do this, make it so when a player drops the ball upon death the ball counts as dead/neutral.

I got this clutch snipe on a guy running a ball in and it rolled from him into the goal for 20. Lame.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
What would also be cool is if they could have a goal spawn on a wall sometime, so you have to throw it. Make a rotating goal version of the gametype where the goal changes locations after every score (but stays on each team's side of the map) and have one of those locations be a wall or something.

They could do some fun variants of Ricochet.

What would also be cool is if they could have a goal spawn on a wall sometime, so you have to throw it. Make a rotating goal version of the gametype where the goal changes locations after every score (but stays on each team's side of the map) and have one of those locations be a wall or something.

They could do some fun variants of Ricochet.

Sounds too much like headhunter, screw that.

I dont personally get the love Ricochet is getting, its pretty dull. I guess two teams who both play to win would be fun but matchmaking is meh. Unless people are playing customs im surprised people are enjoying it so much.

Tawpgun

Monolith goals will probably be where flags spawn in the bases.

Skyline goals probably same deal. Maybe move them slightly so you can get throws in from the bottom ramp.

Haven... Not sure. Might be interesting to have them on the middle part of the base ramps. But it seems too easy to chuck in. Makes playing defense necessary. They'll probably put them under the ramps in each base.

Adrift will be Garbo because its adrift.

Solace... Probably flag spawn again. Interesting because the bases are different. Classic Halo 4. Go fuck yourself functionally symmetrical.

They need to make ricochet variants of Simplex. Put goals on that back part of the base.

op_ivy

Fallen Xbot (cannot continue gaining levels in this class)
Haven... Not sure. Might be interesting to have them on the middle part of the base ramps. But it seems too easy to chuck in. Makes playing defense necessary. They'll probably put them under the ramps in each base.

i was thinking an interesting placement would be were they added the grav lifts down below at each side. this would make multiple routes to the goal viable, rather then just charging straight across if it were at or below the teams ramps. also, possibly some good throw angles from the top middle.

Karl2177

This, and if there's any way to do this, make it so when a player drops the ball upon death the ball counts as dead/neutral.

I got this clutch snipe on a guy running a ball in and it rolled from him into the goal for 20. Lame.
Sounds like a good solution would be to raise the bottom of the goal by like .2 or something.

I dunno if it'd be possible, but 343 could always try to make a ball "go cold" after its carrier has died, requiring a pickup to enable scoring. That way even if it rolls into a goal, someone still has to go and grab it for a confirmed score.

Not sure if Haven would work very well, because of it's...... roundness.

I would see the gametype working better with a map that has a rectangular layout like Solace.

Solace bases aren't the same though.

Would still work better than Haven, IMO.

Man, 343i have to fix those spanish achievements descriptions

One Man Army
In matchmaking, get four consecutive kills with the Rocket Launcher without dying.
In spanish says to have to kill 4 people with the launcher, what launcher, the ball? oh its the rocket launcher.
I am seeing people camping with the ball thinking is the weapon for the achievement because the ball its called "launcher" in the spanish description of the ball.

Protect This House
In matchmaking, assassinate the ball carrier within five meters of your own goal in Ricochet.

In spanish says "kill the ball carrier" not assassinate them.

Ghazi

One Man Army
In matchmaking, get four consecutive kills with the Rocket Launcher without dying.
In spanish says to have to kill 4 people with the launcher, what launcher, the ball? oh its the rocket launcher.
I am seeing people camping with the ball thinking is the weapon for the achievement because the ball its called "launcher" in the spanish description of the ball.

Protect This House
In matchmaking, assassinate the ball carrier within five meters of your own goal in Ricochet.

Adam Orth: "Just learn how to speak English"

One Man Army

Protect This House

Deja de quejarte.

#MexicanProblems

Neo deja de quejarte.

#NewMexicanProblems

tRMRNec.jpg

One Man Army

Protect This House

343i/CA needs to keep up with gamasutra from a year ago: http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/175367/10_tips_localization.php

Ghazi

La papa es muy important para la educacion de heckfu, es muy grandes y redondos y tene muchos pelo come heckfu.

#almidónproblemas

mo60

Here is the weekly bulletin

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headlines/post/2013/08/28/The-Halo-Bulletin-82813.aspx

This bulletin talks about the twitter winners that will be participating in the global championship
A new gametype called team slayer will replace slayer pro in the infinity slayer playlist.This gametype will have loadouts(with no restrictions) enabled, but personal/random ordnance will not be enabled.The motion tracker will also be enabled in this mode.
The bulletin also tells us were the ricochet goals on all the non-champion bundle maps will be.

I'm pretty happy about this update even though I would have liked restrictions on the loadouts in this mode.

Bulletin was solid, playlists looking better after Championship tourney and I'll be watching the live streaming on this one. Fingers crossed 720+ is available and smooth to watch. Fuck me if ricochet hasn't already provided some great matches, same goes for CTF on Pitfall too. Vertigo has been fun but a bit more Halo 4 scatter type gameplay, shotgun in the back upper hill is too fun.

It's nice to have regular cadence for sustain. I wonder where Halo 4 will be at early next year as more Halo Xbox One surfaces. I can't imagine we'll hear much about Halo TV or Halo X1 this year, the X1 is launching and there's no need to push Halo before it's time. Keep it separate as its own focal point in 2014.

1-flag I still miss you, RIP bomb and I'd like to see a 1 sided ricochet gametype made...with offensive/defensive rounds.

Anyone played a custom game called "Speed Limit"? I don't believe it's modded but played in a custom party last night and it was a blast for 30 minutes or so. Basically made with the Race/Ricochet gametype and Forge Island. Everyone starts in a room with a shit-ton of Hogs'n'Geese. Once you leave it's a race track with delayed/intervals objects appearing within an oval track and if you drop below a certain speed your shields drop and you blow up. First game or two honour was paramount with everyone "racing one direction". Further games flowed into "driving backwards" to blow up or slow down your enemies. The latter was more fun.

If it's not modded I'll upload to my fileshare.

mo60

Bulletin was solid, playlists looking better after Championship tourney and I'll be watching the live streaming on this one. Fingers crossed 720+ is available and smooth to watch. Fuck me if ricochet hasn't already provided some great matches, same goes for CTF on Pitfall too. Vertigo has been fun but a bit more Halo 4 scatter type gameplay, shotgun in the back upper hill is too fun.

It's nice to have regular cadence for sustain. I wonder where Halo 4 will be at early next year as more Halo Xbox One surfaces. I can't imagine we'll hear much about Halo TV or Halo X1 this year, the X1 is launching and there's no need to push Halo before it's time. Keep it separate as it's own focal point in 2014.

1-flag I still miss you, RIP bomb and I'd like to see a 1 sided ricochet gametype made...with offensive/defensive rounds.

Anyone played a custom game called "Speed Limit"? I don't believe it's modded but played in a custom party last night and it was a blast for 30 minutes or so. Basically made with the Race/Ricochet gametype and Forge Island. Everyone starts in a room with a shit-ton of Hogs'n'Geese. Once you leave it's a race track with delayed/intervals objects appearing within an oval track and if you drop below a certain speed your shields drop and you blow up. First game or two honour was paramount with everyone "racing one direction". Further games flowed into "driving backwards" to blow up or slow down your enemies. The latter was more fun.

If it's not modded I'll upload to my fileshare.

It's a modded gametype.

Nebula

Just rage quit Call of Duty and now I'm on Halo 4. At least I can play this game on my own. Silver lining and all that.

Tawpgun

Holy shit solid update.

Slayer playlist is basically

Infinity Garbo, Reach Slayer(with perks) and classic halo 2/3 slayer.

NICE.

Ricochet playlist looks sweet too. Interesting goal placements.

Fuchsdh

Team Slayer as 2nd slot and Legendary BRs as 3rd slot? (In Infinity Slayer)

This seems... like a really good update.

Yep. Only fly in the ointment is that the names aren't that helpful without some short descriptions (Halo 5 UI please.)

On the other hand… GAF logic conundrum time--

*Everyone picks Infinity Slayer because it's first in voting, vs.
*Everyone picks Team Slayer because it's called Team Slayer

GO!

Tawpgun

Yep. Only fly in the ointment is that the names aren't that helpful without some short descriptions (Halo 5 UI please.)

On the other hand… GAF logic conundrum time--

*Everyone picks Infinity Slayer because it's first in voting, vs.
*Everyone picks Team Slayer because it's called Team Slayer

GO!
The population trends toward picking gametypes and maps that are broken and can be exploited.

Hope that answers your question.

belushy

Banned

I was trying to work on a 1-life/Round-based gametype using Ricochet as the base. It works alright but there are too many options missing to make it worthwhile. Haven't tried a non-1 life variant though. That might play decent.

I was trying to work on a 1-life/Round-based gametype using Ricochet as the base. It works alright but there are too many options missing to make it worthwhile. Haven't tried a non-1 life variant though. That might play decent.

Nice, could be good or really bad. Let me know if you get it up and running.

Nothing says "awesome, good job guys" more than reducing the frequency of your flagship gametype in your flagship playlist to 1 in 3.

Kinda wish they would have put Legendary BR in a different playlist (perhaps a Legendary playlist of some kind?) since it's so different from the other two.

Top Bottom