• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Tawpgun

Nothing says "awesome, good job guys" more than reducing the frequency of your flagship gametype in your flagship playlist to 1 in 3.

Kinda wish they would have put Legendary BR in a different playlist (perhaps a Legendary playlist of some kind?) since it's so different from the other two.
They should make a legendary playlist with legendary objective modes mixed in.

But it being in IS is good for 2 reasons. It gets good population and it could give them some interesting voting data.

They should make a legendary playlist with legendary objective modes mixed in.

But it being in IS is good for 2 reasons. It gets good population and it could give them some interesting voting data.

One certainly gets the feeling current playlist sustain is about fielding a range of options and feedback for the next gen Halo launch line up.

nillapuddin

After my revelation that "Team Slayer" was in BTB, I vote for it everytime, and now its coming to 4v4.

I cannot imagine how this is anything but good news

They just need to believe
BELI343
that "Halo" can work again

Hopefully everyone votes the shit out of it.

Bungie took us in a new direction, 343 continued from there, and clearly it has veered too far off course for alot of people.

Ill take this is a good sign

After my revelation that "Team Slayer" was in BTB, I vote for it everytime, and now its coming to 4v4.

I cannot imagine how this is anything but good news

They just need to believe
BELI343
that "Halo" can work again

Hopefully everyone votes the shit out of it.

Bungie took us in a new direction, 343 continued from there, and clearly it has veered too far off course for alot of people.

Ill take this is a good sign

Agreed, I'm still slightly gob-smacked at a lack of hardcore praise when The Pit has returned and with mostly "classic" settings in the vote variants. CTF or ricochet on Pitfall is great and certainly scratches the itch I have to replay ranked Halo 3 objective for now. Infinity slayer doesn't get voted for very often in the GC playlist either.

I suppose it's much the same as Reach anniversary maps & TU settings. I thoroughly enjoyed the settings, refresh for the new engine and maps returning but it resulted in low populations as the uptake from hardcore players wasn't exactly opening the floodgates.

I don't get it, the gameplay and local search has really been on song in the last month or so. Sure I'd love assault or CTF of old but Halo 4 in its current state is hella-fun and very much feels like classic Halo for some 75-95%. Absolutely can't wait for the dedi-servers though, just getting rid of host migration will make a world of difference.

Fuchsdh

Agreed, I'm still slightly gob-smacked at a lack of hardcore praise when The Pit has returned and with mostly "classic" settings in the vote variants. CTF or ricochet on Pitfall is great and certainly scratches the itch I have to replay ranked Halo 3 objective for now. Infinity slayer doesn't get voted for very often in the GC playlist either.

I suppose it's much the same as Reach anniversary maps & TU settings. I thoroughly enjoyed the settings, refresh for the new engine and maps returning but it resulted in low populations as the uptake from hardcore players wasn't exactly opening the floodgates.

I don't get it, the gameplay and local search has really been on song in the last month or so. Sure I'd love assault or CTF of old but Halo 4 in its current state is hella-fun and very much feels like classic Halo for some 75-95%. Absolutely can't wait for the dedi-servers though, just getting rid of host migration will make a world of difference.

Agreed. Aside from moral opposition to the perks and stuff, which I get, this is close to exactly what people wanted when Halo 4 launched--a way to play regular-styled Halo in matchmaking.

The hardcore community did flood back when 343 'fixed' Halo Reach. Do you not remember MLG Columbus, The Halo Council, etc?
They aren't coming back now because the community is pretty much defeated after not having their voices listened to for so long.
Halo 4 suffered from almost all the concerns that the Halo community made extremely clear that they had during its development, and many of the same issues they complained about with Reach.

It is now 10 months since Halo 4 launched, maybe you can understand why they wouldn't praise a map and a gametype (in the Infinity Slayer playlist) as the second coming of classic Halo :p

Agreed. Aside from moral opposition to the perks and stuff, which I get, this is close to exactly what people wanted when Halo 4 launched--a way to play regular-styled Halo in matchmaking.

Halo 4 has NO playlist or modes currently that is even close to Halo Reach, Halo 3, Halo 2, or Halo CE.

The core is so different the options are so lacking and it is just far too late. Shit needed fixed month's ago. They didn't want to fix or listen to anyone and this is what happens.

Even if you fixed everything the hardcore gamers, the pro gamers, the good Halo players, will not come back. Halo 4 is dead and can never come back to life.

Halo 5 needs to do a few things
1. Have a 1-5o ranking system
2. Have all features working on release day
3. Have Ranked/Social split
4. Have no gameplay altering unlocks
5, Have a decent set of small maps (at least 6)

Halo 4 has NO playlist or modes currently that is even close to Halo Reach, Halo 3, Halo 2, or Halo CE.

The core is so different the options are so lacking and it is just far too late. Shit needed fixed month's ago. They didn't want to fix or listen to anyone and this is what happens.

Even if you fixed everything the hardcore gamers, the pro gamers, the good Halo players, will not come back. Halo 4 is dead and can never come back to life.

That list is ace.

I actually found #3 to be one of my biggest issues the first few weeks with Halo 4.
I couldn't play with a bunch of my more novice friends because my trueskill brought much too difficult competition for them.

The hardcore community did flood back when 343 'fixed' Halo Reach. Do you not remember MLG Columbus, The Halo Council, etc?
They aren't coming back now because the community is pretty much defeated after not having their voices listened to for so long.
Halo 4 suffered from almost all the concerns that the Halo community made extremely clear that they had during its development, and many of the same issues they complained about with Reach.

It is now 10 months since Halo 4 launched, maybe you can understand why they wouldn't praise a map and a gametype (in the Infinity Slayer playlist) as the second coming of classic Halo :p

In terms of online population they really didn't, anniversary wasn't the second coming, neither were Arena tweaks. That's just it though when I look through the end of life Halo 3, Reach, Reach TU/Anniversary, Halo 4 launch and now Halo 4 turbo with all DLC what do I see? A very large percentage of what the "hardcore" are so vocal about has been delivered and tweaked over and over. Are the hardcore ever satisfied? Could the hardcore be happy receiving 50-95% of what they request? The hardcore are most definitely the hardest to please.

When you look at the forums of Team Beyond, Halo Council or MLG of old you have the same overall player split of what they consider hardcore or quality maps or settings. What are you expecting from Halo 4 exactly? Considering Ghost's post about the hardwork 343i have put in to trial and realign Halo 4 I feel things are as top notch as they're going to get with Halo 4.

If community cartographer fostering, maps like Pitfall and gametypes like ricochet along with $500K global championship tournaments within online, social invites & event based qualifiers the world over aren't enough then why would game developers such as 343i keep supporting hardcore gamers that literally don't frequently play their hard work? I was very hardcore in Halo 2/3 and I've been more than happy with the Reach TU & Halo 4 Turbo. Sure I'd like far more objective changes to suit what I like personally but I don't write Halo 4 or Reach off when I don't get 100% of what I want.

Sure I agree Halo 4 launch line up was a big change and not necessarily for the better but you can't expect a global brand to cater to one corner of the fanbase 100%.

Realistically for what Halo 4 is now:

CSR and quickCSR or TeamBeyond or Waypoint have ranks. In terms of Halo X1 I'm almost ready to confirm in game rank.

In terms of hardcore most of these are present now, sure customs, scoring and theatre still sucks the big one and launch should have had it all. I've said it before the Halo 4 engine/launch was a stop gap between generations and a new studio. I don't reserve room for misfires on the next gen Halo title.

Essentially the individual vs. team based CSR is defined very similar to this. Social is just play the game, ranked are the ones who look at CSR and play in regular teams (exception for FFA). I'm not saying it's ideal but the mechanics and in game matching is present all the same.

I agree with this for some launch and sustain playlists, not all though but especially the ranked side of things.

5. Have a decent set of small maps (at least 6)
Agree with this 100% but again we now have maps like Monolith, Piftall, Skyline, some quality Forge creations/remakes. Again not ideal at launch but things certainly more than usable for the hardcore now.

My point is even when "the hardcore" receive 75%-95% of what they ask for they still don't play. It was the same with Reach TU/Anniversary. I totally agree with the salt at launch here, in terms of Halo 4, but I'm seeing a pretty average attitude to the quality of Halo 4 hardcore these days and the level of attention 343i have lavished on reworking this game/matchmaking/hardcore elements.

I'm not go play tournies or AGL hardcore but I've had my share of top 1% Halo 3 ranked and I just don't get the imbalance in complaints these days. It's too biased IMO and if you'd just realise even the 1% hardcore play online and don't frequent the tournaments there are great games to be had now in Halo 4. The GC playlist with Pitfall/Ricochet/CTF/slayer pro is some of the best Halo 4 has had to offer, hands down.

Ozzy you are not LISTENING TO ME.

For one second stop taking each point and defending in some weird way.

1. Guess what, I dont give a fuck about Cant See Rank and Invisible Who Knows If Its There Trueskill. Mainly because I don't know who I'm playing, if they are any good, If I'm good, and if I'm improving or getting worse.

2. I said have all features at RELEASE. It doesnt matter what the fuck they have now the iron is no longer hot the food cannot get cooked.

3. Social split means players who dont play as often or are playing with friends can go into a playlist that others may hopefully have the same stuff going on. Ranked playlists you dont do that. Thats why the actual seperation existing is good for everyone. It does not exist currently in Halo 4, stop defending please.

Hardcore pro players have not receiver 75-85% of what they want man. They have received tons of crap but never all at once or with the correct settings. Ok so Legendary Slayer comes out but oh guess what its AR starts! Then it becomes BR starts but loses its playlist? Ughhh OK again more of the wrong settings and stuff at release which makes the iron no longer hot so nobody cares anymore.

Its like talking to a brick wall man Each point you agree and then defend it with something that has nothing to do with my point.

Hire Juices. I'm going to bed.

Ozzy you are not LISTENING TO ME.

For one second stop taking each point and defending in some weird way.

1. Guess what, I dont give a fuck about Cant See Rank and Invisible Who Knows If Its There Trueskill. Mainly because I don't know who I'm playing, if they are any good, If I'm good, and if I'm improving or getting worse.

2. I said have all features at RELEASE. It doesnt matter what the fuck they have now the iron is no longer hot the food cannot get cooked.

3. Social split means players who dont play as often or are playing with friends can go into a playlist that others may hopefully have the same stuff going on. Ranked playlists you dont do that. Thats why the actual seperation existing is good for everyone. It does not exist currently in Halo 4, stop defending please.

Hardcore pro players have not receiver 75-85% of what they want man. They have received tons of crap but never all at once or with the correct settings. Ok so Legendary Slayer comes out but oh guess what its AR starts! Then it becomes BR starts but loses its playlist? Ughhh OK again more of the wrong settings and stuff at release which makes the iron no longer hot so nobody cares anymore.

Its like talking to a brick wall man Each point you agree and then defend it with something that has nothing to do with my point.

Hire Juices. I'm going to bed.

Weird replying in depth point by point isn't listening? I'll try to assimilate, empathise and keep my replies more succinct. Here we go...

Everyone knows very well what you want, you post the same thing quite often. I get it and I too want all those things. Just in some playlists not all for the most part. If you look at my reply points I actually AGREE with you on many points.

1. I agree rank vs. social. I agree ranked in game for all to see. This pertains to past (launch) and future (Halo X1) but right now you can use the essence of the rank right now with CSR. Sites like TeamBeyond or QuickCSR wouldn't sprout if hardcore players didn't want to use these systems.

2. All features in game at launch is ideal, again I agree. Can't change the past, I would have liked Halo 2 to have you know an actual ending, I would have like assault in Halo 4 at launch more than theatre missing etc. In the present however a good number of these features have been updated, many game developers simply never revisit or update such missing features/bugs. I also commented I don't leave the same leeway as I did with Halo 4 for Halo X1, I too expect a more complete feature set.

3. Again I agree with the split, I think it's an important element to define and allows players to warm up, find friends/teams to play with etc. Once again though does that really stop a hardcore player from playing to win? Looking at the present Halo 4 setup you can go play Action Sack for fun or party up and test your mettle in Throwdown. It's not a deal breaker and it certainly doesn't halt things like global tournies or AGL events.

Hardcore players have received a shit-ton of post release support, personally I feel there is no arguing that at all. It's not even opinion at this point, it's literally fact and further more updates than Bungie ever did to any Halo title post release. Just take a look at a quick list:

-Turbo update (you could stop here and that would be over 50% IMO)
-BR 4 shot
-red X
-smaller maps like Skyline, Monolith, Pitfall, Haven
-community cartographers (Throwdown, doubles, slayer pro)
-BTB skirmish (some variants)
-AGL support (events, in game, twitter etc)
-Global Championship over Virgin Gaming
-Forge playtest lists
-CSR (team vs individual)
-Vote variants e.g. slayer pro, no plasma/stickies in loadouts, fixed loaouts etc
-weapons on map
-spawn tweaking via variants e.g. no instant respawn
-legendary, ricochet, rumble BR's
-Forge island
-altered the bulletins & forums for feedback

To me I am listening to you and so are 343i but if you're resigned to hating and not playing Halo 4 that's your prerogative. This is massive support IMO and really gets me excited about what the Halo X1 launch line up is going to be like.

Further when you factor in regional dedicated servers for Halo & 60fps how can you not be excited for hardcore Halo? Finally the absolute hands down #1 feature for being competitive online is nearly upon Halo matchmaking...regional dedicated servers.

But don't mind my facts, apparently Halo sucks in the past, sucks now and will suck in the future.

You cant have different stuff for different playlists it becomes too fractured and ruins the MM experience, like in Reach and like in Halo 4.

You need a very rigid structure and to keep it.

You cant have different stuff for different playlists it becomes too fractured and ruins the MM experience, like in Reach and like in Halo 4.

You need a very rigid structure and to keep it.

Agreed a baseline is the sweet spot and this should be biased to the more competitive elements. Again forgetting past and future to look at Halo 4 engine/developer/matchmaking and I think 343i are really on track in this regard. Sure we're still seeing trial and error stuff in matchmaking but now is the perfect time for that. If you're not playing it and giving feedback then you're really not contributing for the Halo X1 launch are you?

Halo 4 right now in say GC playlist on Pitfall ricochet/slayer pro/infinity/CTF is bang on the money. The weapon sandbox, the movement, the aiming, the kill times, the teamwork vs. solo and more. It feels right and if they can migrate to BF3 style toggles while updating vote variants to playlists overall then update the matchmaking/playlist systems around that we're all going to have what we want to play at Halo X1 launch.

Fuck you sleep-type good mate ;)

Kujo

So yeah, I'm 20 cents short of the Bullseye map pack...Is there any place to buy a 80/100MSP code?

If only this was included in my season pass

Edit: Don't wanna add my CC

Classic settings? LOL

Just a thought, but it likely had something to do with random global ordnance in the playlist at launch (gone now I believe) which totally broke any of the objective games if they lasted more than a couple minutes. And the shitty ultra-dynamic spawn system set up for H4 makes securing any part of the map on Pitfall pointless, since your enemies will spawn basically anywhere on the map on Slayer variants, so that's shit. Some of the most important and most tactical jumps are no longer available or only available to jetpack users (yellow ledges on either side, banana jump, Walshy-jump is quite a bit harder for no reason, etc). The two sides are only "functionally symmetrical", aka H4 hurr durr. You can make ball throws on one side that you can't on the other because one side has stupid vines and shit that interact with game objects. Promethean vision fucking ruins half of the strats on the map. I could go on.

All that said, Pitfall *is* really fun for everything except slayer, which has lost all of its strategic value thanks to the H4 spawn system and 343's default spawn layout. That could change with some forge tweaking, sure, but it SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Ricochet is one thing they've done absolutely right this time around, but Pitfall is to The Pit as Blackout was to Lockout. Too many changes to things that gave the map its personality and had a huge influence on its play mechanics.

IHaveIce

Banned
Yep I played Slayer Pro the first time yesterday on The Pit... and I agree the spawns are really weird.

Though flag and Riccochet are awesome on it.

I beed the pit in all playlists asap.
Multiteam, rumble pit, team sniper etc.

Tawpgun

Classic settings? LOL

Just a thought, but it likely had something to do with random global ordnance in the playlist at launch (gone now I believe) which totally broke any of the objective games if they lasted more than a couple minutes. And the shitty ultra-dynamic spawn system set up for H4 makes securing any part of the map on Pitfall pointless, since your enemies will spawn basically anywhere on the map on Slayer variants, so that's shit. Some of the most important and most tactical jumps are no longer available or only available to jetpack users (yellow ledges on either side, banana jump, Walshy-jump is quite a bit harder for no reason, etc). The two sides are only "functionally symmetrical", aka H4 hurr durr. You can make ball throws on one side that you can't on the other because one side has stupid vines and shit that interact with game objects. Promethean vision fucking ruins half of the strats on the map. I could go on.

All that said, Pitfall *is* really fun for everything except slayer, which has lost all of its strategic value thanks to the H4 spawn system and 343's default spawn layout. That could change with some forge tweaking, sure, but it SHOULDN'T BE NECESSARY IN THE FIRST PLACE.

Ricochet is one thing they've done absolutely right this time around, but Pitfall is to The Pit as Blackout was to Lockout. Too many changes to things that gave the map its personality and had a huge influence on its play mechanics.

Yup.

Also ricochet seems to be the only gametype with good weapon spawns. I was playing slayer pro and rocks/snipes were spawning fine... But there would also be a random sticky det or rail gun out of nowhere...

Also mojo, ms points should be gone. They'll convert it to cash monies as you pay whatever's left.

In reply to ozzy... Half the shit that the "hardcore crowd" asked for should have been in the game from the beginning. I dont understand how people can still praise or defend 343 and this game when it had such a shitty post release and nothing was changed for 6 months.

And by that time, the "hardcore crowd" the ones that love halo had given up on the gimmick filled change for the sake of change bullshit that 343 had to add so that they could feel like independant special snowflakes.

TL:DR change for the sake of change, post launch support is bullshit, DLC mishaps, and general wheelchair spartans (343 fans and employees)

Nebula

The only reason I have yet to watch any Pitfall games is because I don't want to see a classic map get slaughtered. Seems I was right to avoid it.

In reply to ozzy... Half the shit that the "hardcore crowd" asked for should have been in the game from the beginning. I dont understand how people can still praise or defend 343 and this game when it had such a shitty post release and nothing was changed for 6 months.

And by that time, the "hardcore crowd" the ones that love halo had given up on the gimmick filled change for the sake of change bullshit that 343 had to add so that they could feel like independant special snowflakes.

TL:DR change for the sake of change, post launch support is bullshit, DLC mishaps, and general wheelchair spartans (343 fans and employees)
Instant respawns, random ordnance, and too many obnoxious armor abilities ultimately removes the need for teamwork and lessens the value of competitive play and map design.

gAg CruSh3r

2. All features in game at launch is ideal, again I agree. Can't change the past, I would have liked Halo 2 to have you know an actual ending, I would have like assault in Halo 4 at launch more than theatre missing etc. In the present however a good number of these features have been updated, many game developers simply never revisit or update such missing features/bugs. I also commented I don't leave the same leeway as I did with Halo 4 for Halo X1, I too expect a more complete feature set.

Yes, I can't agree more about this. I hope to see more good game types come back and more things to be completed..

-Turbo update (you could stop here and that would be over 50% IMO)
-BR 4 shot
-red X
-smaller maps like Skyline, Monolith, Pitfall, Haven
-community cartographers (Throwdown, doubles, slayer pro)
-BTB skirmish (some variants)
-AGL support (events, in game, twitter etc)
-Global Championship over Virgin Gaming
-Forge playtest lists Yes! I hope to see a playlist dedicated for this that the maps will be refresh every 2-3 weeks. The good maps will be kept the others will be refresh with some new ones to try out.
-CSR (team vs individual)
-Vote variants e.g. slayer pro, no plasma/stickies in loadouts, fixed loaouts etc
-weapons on map
-spawn tweaking via variants e.g. no instant respawn.Regular 3 second spawn and 5 second suicide.
-legendary, ricochet, rumble BR's
-Forge island Please for the love of Forge make one big ASS island that is 4 times as big as the biggest island on Halo 4 Forge island map. Keep all the islands flat and give us a lot more rocks and trees in all sizes.
-altered the bulletins & forums for feedback

Further when you factor in regional dedicated servers for Halo & 60fps how can you not be excited for hardcore Halo? Finally the absolute hands down #1 feature for being competitive online is nearly upon Halo matchmaking...regional dedicated servers.
Dedicated servers will be amazing

But don't mind my facts, apparently Halo was amazing in the past, sucks now and might be a amazing game in the future due to the mistakes that we hope they will fix. Fixed

Some other things I hope they will bring to Halo X1
  • Custom Games searching tool.
  • In game ranking is 1-100 ( but I would not mind the classic 1-50)
  • Firefight with 8 players max.
  • better Forge elements. Buttons (doors or bridges or windows). Forge custom game try out setting ( so you don't have to leave forge to try out the custom games).

I would write more but I have to get to work.

TCKaos

That list is ace.

I actually found #3 to be one of my biggest issues the first few weeks with Halo 4.
I couldn't play with a bunch of my more novice friends because my trueskill brought much too difficult competition for them.

I thought that Social had trueskill but the fact that there were no visible ranks lead to players not taking the games as seriously and using the social playlists for warm ups. Casual players had a better time there because the really great players could dial it back without risking losing their rank.

TheOddOne

At this point, I just want to the next Halo to be feature complete at launch. No 'it's coming in the next update' nonsense.

I don't mind that line when it's about new features though, but staple aspects should be locked and working from day one.

Nebula

At this point, I just want to the next Halo to be feature complete at launch. No 'it's coming in the next update' nonsense.

I don't mind that line when it's about new features though, but staple aspects should be locked and working from day one.

If they strip it down to basic Halo, they'll have no excuse to not bring it all at launch.

FyreWulff

I thought that Social had trueskill but the fact that there were no visible ranks lead to players not taking the games as seriously and using the social playlists for warm ups. Casual players had a better time there because the really great players could dial it back without risking losing their rank.

Yep, Trueskill is in both, just not displayed. In Halo 2, you still had a 1-50 rank in social, you just couldn't see it.

Social has just a bit looser range it'll collect players in. In Reach, even though TS wasn't visible, playlists had varying weights of importance on TS matching. Arena had the highest TS restrictions, which also led to closer games, but also much longer search times.

Got the last cheevo yesterday, The ejection motion is good for the enemy to lock on you and hunt you and not always works if you dont have any shields to survive the explosion.

Wasn't it possible to survive an exploding vehicle in past games? Even in 4, if you got teamkilled in a vehicle you got ejected.

I almost feel like these perks were part of a DLC gameplan from the start and Frankie just tried delaying it as long as possible.

Nebula

Tips to get the achievement?

Play on Ragnarock, stickie a mongoose a get a few more shots on it til it's on fire and then drive around. Thruster pack helps you get away safely when the vehicle blows up.

Such abuse of the poor, innocent Mongoose.

:(

Gaf i don't play halo 4 since may( although i play reach often) so i ask you : have they eliminated the possibility of using the plasma grenade and the plasma pistol at respawn? And the random drops?
What about the machine gun on the warthog?

Nebula

Gaf i don't play halo 4 since may( although i play reach often) so i ask you : have they eliminated the possibility of using the plasma grenade and the plasma pistol at respawn? And the random drops?
What about the machine gun on the warthog?

Still use Plasma Pistol and Grenades.
Still have random drops in some playlists (I think)
Hog gun is more powerful, but it means fuck all since the hog still gets wrecked easily.

Tips to get the achievement?

Play on Ragnarock, stickie a mongoose a get a few more shots on it til it's on fire and then drive around. Thruster pack helps you get away safely when the vehicle blows up.
Thanks man, I ended up getting the achievement last night. now all I need to do is assassinate the ball carrier near the goal.

Got any tips?

I recommend you to try it with the Ghost because it have a front armor that protects you from headshots and incoming spartan lasers, stay at distance shooting always in front of them and spawns a little fast to take one right away. the banshee is good too but they can kill you in the air and like they said you can damage the vehicle before going to combat.

Tried the moongose and the warthog and always died because I was out of shields when they destroyed the vehicle and die, also they can kill you without damaging the vehicle.

Holy shit, Sudd1 is leading the tournament.

2qdy5o0.gif

I was thinking about what would make a decent Halo in the future and how you could go back to a more classic style Halo without screwing over all the people that like the more random Halo we have today.

What if you go back to having set weapons on the map, no random ordnance, but you keep the weapon indicators. This way, you can still fight over power weapons, and good players can still time out the weapons and prepare for the weapon spawn, but new players will be told there’s a power weapon on the map when it spawns, and they’ll know where they are at the start of the match. Also, weapons that drop in, or spawn, cannot hurt you anymore.

Other changes...get rid of flinch, because, you know, it’s terrible.

Now, as far as instant respawn and sprint. I was thinking about this, and I think it would be be best to have one or the other and not both. I like sprint as a way to get around the map faster, and I know maps were designed with sprint in mind this time around, but even back in the day some maps were so big it would have been nice to sprint a bit to get around. BUT...the way I’ve always wanted sprint to work is once you start getting shot, you exit sprint. There would also be some kind of cooldown so you cannot spam the sprint button to keep sprinting after every shot. Once you are hit, you have to make an immediate decision to either engage or walk to cover like you would in previous Halo games. So sprint can be useful to get around maps and quickly get back into the action (which was the whole point of instant respawn anyway) but you cannot use it to run away from confrontations; it’s no longer your get-out-of-jail-free ability.

Ok, so you have sprint remaining and weapon indicators as features from recent Halo but no more random weapon spawns.

Now, as for perks and armor abilities. Honestly, I would love to see abilities just go away. Will that happen? Probably not...but what if we handled it this way.

Take a few abilities, say for example, jet pack, hologram, hardlight shield, and shield regen. Put these on a huge cooldown. Once you use your ability, the indicator goes dark and will not appear again for another 30 seconds or so, maybe even longer. No recharging, whether you use your ability for just a second or get the full use out of it, the indicator goes dark afterwards, and it will be a while before you can use it again. So, you have this ability you can use in your pocket, sort of like the bubble shield or regen field from Halo 3, but you basically get one use of it per life. Good players that live longer obviously will maybe get a second or third use out of it, especially if they’re a conservative player that hangs back and has a longer average life per game, but most people are usually right in the middle of the action and don’t live longer than 30 seconds (at least, I don’t think, I’m not an expert on this stuff.)

So now, you can have an ability, but you can’t spam it. You can’t fly around every encounter now with a jet pack. You can’t sit and snipe in camo (get rid of camo as an ability and put it on the map as a pickup). You have to make better decisions with the ability you roll out with, be more tactful with them. The combat in Halo, then, is more about your encounters with your weapons, rather than this cat and mouse stuff or just random outcomes you never saw coming as the result of all these abilities being spammed.

The result is, yes, we still have abilities in Halo, but they’re much more limited. So recent fans of the series can still pick an ability, but the fans of old school Halo don’t have to constantly be irritated by them.

And finally, perks. What if we kept the loadouts where you can pick what kind of main weapon you use...dmr, br, assault rifle, etc. You can no longer choose a secondary, such as plasma pistol, but plasma pistols can be put in key places on the map to deal with vehicles (along with sticky grenades).

So you pick your weapon and ability....and then perhaps....a 'class.' This allows the kiddies who like to customize things to still have options. But there’s only so much to choose from.

So I was thinking....what about a heavy weapon class, a precision rifle class, a grenade class, and some kind of vehicle class.

Each one of these gives a slight buff. If you roll out with the heavy weapon class, you get one of two more exatra rockets when you pick up the launcher on the map. Or a few more sniper bullets. So it’s basically the ammo perk but only for the heavy weapons. The rifle class is basically the firepower perk, roll out with 2 primary rifles. Grenade class would allow space to carry an extra grenade in the grenade slots. And the vehicle class would allow vehicles slight resistance to plasma overcharge; it would still come to a stop, but briefly, before being able to mover again. I don't know, something like this, whatever.

So, fans of the new Halo still get some....‘perks’....but there’s only 4 or so to deal with, and imo, they aren’t too game breaking. But no more of this escaping vehicles before they explode nonsense. No more guessing whether someone can reload faster than you. Just clean things up a bit while still giving the kids things to choose.

You can keep things like visor colors and stances and skins and things like that as unlockables, but don’t lock away weapons. Seriously.

And finally, no personal ordnance. And since that’s gone, and you don’t need a million medals anymore to fill up a meter, get rid of a bunch of stupid medals so that earning a medal actually feels nice again, rather than earning a medal for practically breathing.

And just give players more options in general...customize your controls, toggle text in the middle of the screen, etc.

Anyway, that’s my idea for a future Halo...I’m just trying to think of a way we can sort of get back to classic Halo in a way that makes sense, where you don’t just strip away every single thing. We’ve had 2 Halos now that have sort of been a mess, imo. And there’s a lot of current players who only know Halo to be this crazy fiesta-like mess. So when trying to pull things back a bit, you kinda have to find a way to give a little, too, and this is just my line of thinking as to what to give and what to take away.

I was thinking about what would make a decent Halo in the future and how you could go back to a more classic style Halo without screwing over all the people that like the more random Halo we have today.

What if you go back to having set weapons on the map, no random ordnance, but you keep the weapon indicators. This way, you can still fight over power weapons, and good players can still time out the weapons and prepare for the weapon spawn, but new players will be told there’s a power weapon on the map when it spawns, and they’ll know where they are at the start of the match. Also, weapons that drop in, or spawn, cannot hurt you anymore.

Other changes...get rid of flinch, because, you know, it’s terrible.

Now, as far as instant respawn and sprint. I was thinking about this, and I think it would be be best to have one or the other and not both. I like sprint as a way to get around the map faster, and I know maps were designed with sprint in mind this time around, but even back in the day some maps were so big it would have been nice to sprint a bit to get around. BUT...the way I’ve always wanted sprint to work is once you start getting shot, you exit sprint. There would also be some kind of cooldown so you cannot spam the sprint button to keep sprinting after every shot. Once you are hit, you have to make an immediate decision to either engage or walk to cover like you would in previous Halo games. So sprint can be useful to get around maps and quickly get back into the action (which was the whole point of instant respawn anyway) but you cannot use it to run away from confrontations; it’s no longer your get-out-of-jail-free ability.

Ok, so you have sprint remaining and weapon indicators as features from recent Halo but no more random weapon spawns.

Now, as for perks and armor abilities. Honestly, I would love to see abilities just go away. Will that happen? Probably not...but what if we handled it this way.

Take a few abilities, say for example, jet pack, hologram, hardlight shield, and shield regen. Put these on a huge cooldown. Once you use your ability, the indicator goes dark and will not appear again for another 30 seconds or so, maybe even longer. No recharging, whether you use your ability for just a second or get the full use out of it, the indicator goes dark afterwards, and it will be a while before you can use it again. So, you have this ability you can use in your pocket, sort of like the bubble shield or regen field from Halo 3, but you basically get one use of it per life. Good players that live longer obviously will maybe get a second or third use out of it, especially if they’re a conservative player that hangs back and has a longer average life per game, but most people are usually right in the middle of the action and don’t live longer than 30 seconds (at least, I don’t think, I’m not an expert on this stuff.)

So now, you can have an ability, but you can’t spam it. You can’t fly around every encounter now with a jet pack. You can’t sit and snipe in camo (get rid of camo as an ability and put it on the map as a pickup). You have to make better decisions with the ability you roll out with, be more tactful with them. The combat in Halo, then, is more about your encounters with your weapons, rather than this cat and mouse stuff or just random outcomes you never saw coming as the result of all these abilities being spammed.

The result is, yes, we still have abilities in Halo, but they’re much more limited. So recent fans of the series can still pick an ability, but the fans of old school Halo don’t have to constantly be irritated by them.

And finally, perks. What if we kept the loadouts where you can pick what kind of main weapon you use...dmr, br, assault rifle, etc. You can no longer choose a secondary, such as plasma pistol, but plasma pistols can be put in key places on the map to deal with vehicles (along with sticky grenades).

So you pick your weapon and ability....and then perhaps....a 'class.' This allows the kiddies who like to customize things to still have options. But there’s only so much to choose from.

So I was thinking....what about a heavy weapon class, a precision rifle class, a grenade class, and some kind of vehicle class.

Each one of these gives a slight buff. If you roll out with the heavy weapon class, you get one of two more exatra rockets when you pick up the launcher on the map. Or a few more sniper bullets. So it’s basically the ammo perk but only for the heavy weapons. The rifle class is basically the firepower perk, roll out with 2 primary rifles. Grenade class would allow space to carry an extra grenade in the grenade slots. And the vehicle class would allow vehicles slight resistance to plasma overcharge; it would still come to a stop, but briefly, before being able to mover again. I don't know, something like this, whatever.

So, fans of the new Halo still get some....‘perks’....but there’s only 4 or so to deal with, and imo, they aren’t too game breaking. But no more of this escaping vehicles before they explode nonsense. No more guessing whether someone can reload faster than you. Just clean things up a bit while still giving the kids things to choose.

You can keep things like visor colors and stances and skins and things like that as unlockables, but don’t lock away weapons. Seriously.

And finally, no personal ordnance. And since that’s gone, and you don’t need a million medals anymore to fill up a meter, get rid of a bunch of stupid medals so that earning a medal actually feels nice again, rather than earning a medal for practically breathing.

And just give players more options in general...customize your controls, toggle text in the middle of the screen, etc.

Anyway, that’s my idea for a future Halo...I’m just trying to think of a way we can sort of get back to classic Halo in a way that makes sense, where you don’t just strip away every single thing. We’ve had 2 Halos now that have sort of been a mess, imo. And there’s a lot of current players who only know Halo to be this crazy fiesta-like mess. So when trying to pull things back a bit, you kinda have to find a way to give a little, too, and this is just my line of thinking as to what to give and what to take away.

basically a more reach-like multiplayer, i agree. halo was all about player skills and the optional abilities were only complementary, now you have to guess too many things before a contact

PNut

Banned
Yep stream was shit all day. How long did 343 know this weekend was coming?You'd think they'd test some stuff out before just showing up and plugging in consoles. Isn't this place in Seattle? I'd thought they had learned from previous streams. nope.

Ghazi

Yep stream was shit all day. How long did 343 know this weekend was coming?You'd think they'd test some stuff out before just showing up and plugging in consoles. Isn't this place in Seattle? I'd thought they had learned from previous streams. nope.
Seriously, I mean I would've rather them invest some of the money they had as the winnings to get a better stream. They've streamed multiple times already so I can't believe they haven't learned their lesson.

Top Bottom