• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Well to be fair you could substitute Halo 4 for Halo 3 and Reach for me. I like only played MLG back then.

Ricochet is sick though. I love all the new medals and sound effects. It really makes a difference, it feels so new.

I'm with you man, I love Ricochet. I totally forget about everything chasing that figgin ball. It plays awesome on Haven but I still hate Abandon and Adrift.

Fracas

#fuckonami
a) if he contributed to halogaf that would be one thing, but I imagine it'd be 5-10 minutes of his game design or fanfic

b) tashi just told me he wouldn't be upset if you didn't listen.

note: i'll be on ricochet tonight if anyone wants to play! i need redemption from last night's poor games.
Quoting this so everyone knows you're on ricochet later

Ricochet is fun. It's like golden-square Grifball (e.g. you still use guns, grenades, melees, and armor abilities to advance the objective). It feels like it was built around The Pit, too, which works out.

It's basically instant-arm assault where you can throw the ball in for a smaller amount of points (less than half) and where throws can be intercepted. Saying it has no place in Halo is like saying Assault and Flag have no place in Halo. It's a thoughtfully, well-designed objective game.

Fuchsdh

Thanks! I'll most likely need it.

lol first Tashi ceiling comment in a while
Now I know why HaloGAF hasn't been the same.

Hey, any Gaffers know an easy way to get screen grabs of your Forge Maps without a cap card?

Besides taking pictures in Theater and sending them to your Halo 4 file share?

(Also, 343 doesn't seem to compress the JPEGs as much as Bungie did, which is nice. Still shows seams if you attempt to color-correct the shots though.)

Disagree. I agree with a lot of what you say usually but this gametype is actually fun.
I feel the same way, but usually Juices' opinions come from experience. I don't think he's actually played Ricochet, and I wouldn't blame him because it demands a tolerance of Halo 4's base gameplay.

I feel the same way, but usually Juices' opinions come from experience. I don't think he's actually played Ricochet, and I wouldn't blame him because it demands a tolerance of Halo 4's base gameplay.

Pretty much the only reason i haven't tried it. Maybe I'll play when they make the BRs only Richochet.

Ghazi

Infection and Griffball have no place in Halo either.

Is that why Infection charting over everything but Ricochet, Infinity Slayer, BTB, and SWAT. Halo (Team Throwdown) has less population than "something that has no place in Halo".

jb05nVToGOjxAf.png

While they aren't "pure" competitive gametypes, (I don't like Flood/Infection), Grifball and Ricochet are pretty fun and can be very competitive. Grifball (and Infection/Flood) are community made too, so you're basically claiming that community made content have no place in Halo?

Halo is all about this type of creativity and community involvement with various forms of gameplay/modes/etc.
Yeah, that's what I was going for. I miss Fat Kid days from Halo 3 :(

What experience? We've all seen juices make many statements like that before, yet you guys keep "defending" him. He started with Halo 3, hates vehicles, loves Reach, hates FUN..

Hire zoojoo.

While they aren't "pure" competitive gametypes, (I don't like Flood/Infection), Grifball and Ricochet are pretty fun and can be very competitive. Grifball (and Infection/Flood) are community made too, so you're basically claiming that community made content have no place in Halo?

Halo is all about this type of creativity and community involvement with various forms of gameplay/modes/etc.

J10

Banned
Is that why Infection charting over everything but Ricochet, Infinity Slayer, BTB, and SWAT. Halo (Team Throwdown) has less population than "something that has no place in Halo".

jb05nVToGOjxAf.png

Yeah, that's what I was going for. I miss Fat Kid days from Halo 3 :(

That wasn't a shot at the community.

Both the developers and the community have produced some shitty gametypes that have no place in Halo. SWAT, Griffball, Infection, Infinity Slayer, and Regicide are some examples. Play it in customs if you want, but they're moronic gametypes that shouldn't be so pervasive in competitive matchmaking.

Both the developers and the community have produced some shitty gametypes that have no place in Halo. SWAT, Griffball, Infection, Infinity Slayer, and Regicide are some examples. Play it in customs if you want, but they're moronic gametypes that shouldn't be so pervasive in competitive matchmaking.

Maybe the problem is Matchmaking and how limiting it is. That's one of the main things that has been holding Halo back from multiplayer superiority for years.

If we had a custom game browser, we wouldn't have to worry about it.

I understand its fun, but the bar has been set so low in Halo 4. Its an optical illusion that its actually a good gametype.

Maybe, but what is the alternative? There will not be another Halo for at least a year. If there is something that is at least tolerable you might as well try it. I hate CoD and that is all you have until next year. Destiny is not going to be Halo, it's going to be Borderlands.

Are there any Legendary Ricochet variants out yet or anything?

Maybe I am mistaken but when they first launched the Champions Bundle wasn't there a pro version of Ricochet? I could swear there was.

Ghazi

I can agree with this. I still think they should be there, but certainly not the focus of the MP. If we had a custom games browser then it'd be fine to not have those playlists and leave them to customs, but as we don't I enjoyed getting matched up with other people in matchmaking for them.

I can agree with this. I still think they should be there, but certainly not the focus of the MP. If we had a custom games browser then it'd be fine to not have those playlists and leave them to customs, but as we don't I enjoyed getting matched up with other people in matchmaking for them.

Conor alt confirmed?

I don't see a custom browser happening considering 25K is barely enough to fill up the 28 playlists we currently have.

Maybe, but what is the alternative? There will not be another Halo for at least a year. If there is something that is at least tolerable you might as well try it. I hate CoD and that is all you have until next year. Destiny is not going to be Halo, it's going to be Borderlands. .

The alternative is to play the hundreds of other good games out there.

I've been grinding Dark Souls all week. Games ridiculous.

Or write up huge theses on this game but just dont play it. Act with your controller and console and dont give them that daily tally they need to stay on the Live charts. Speak out vocally here, and anywhere else. Spread the word. The population is honestly bad to the point where a good amount of social networking could negatively impact the population to the point 343 would HAVE to change their game. Actual change could happen if everyone would just domino effect.

Ahh whatever none of you fuckers are going to listen to me.

Enjoy your shit Halo.

Maybe, but what is the alternative? There will not be another Halo for at least a year. If there is something that is at least tolerable you might as well try it. I hate CoD and that is all you have until next year. Destiny is not going to be Halo, it's going to be Borderlands.

After watching the latest ViDoc, I'm thinking the multiplayer is going to be more similar to Shadowrun than anything else.

I understand its fun, but the bar has been set so low in Halo 4. Its an optical illusion that its actually a good gametype.
Actually, it's fun despite Halo 4's sandbox.

Let's look at the pros and cons:

con: player-created loadouts - basically means you're playing in the whole perk and AA sandbox where player traits are anybody's guess, and kids can spawn with pocket shotguns
pro: no personal ordnance (effectively killing the related perks) and static, power weapon spawns (more like traditional Halo)

con: waypoint over the objective carrier makes for an easy target and eliminates stealth
pro: throwing allows for passing which is a huge increase in objective mobility that requires teamwork and even provides for stealth (say throwing the ball to the opponent side where a sneaky player makes the catch or grab)

con: just throw the ball into the pit! too easy!
pro: shots are worth 40% of walk-ins, and the ball has a huge area in which in can be intercepted, which means a competent goalkeeper can stop everything and must be fragged

It's much more of a Halo game than Infection or Grifball because encounters are still default ball/bomb Halo (albeit Halo 4).

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
I think the waypoint over the ball carriers head is important to have because of where you can throw the ball from to score on most maps. Also, without it, it might create severe defensive base turtling. Just because the threat of a toss in could come from anywhere. As it is now, its a super fast gametype which I think is part of its appeal. There's a better variant out there to be created though, that's for sure.

Karl2177

I think the waypoint over the ball carriers head is important to have because of where you can throw the ball from to score on most maps. Also, without it, it might create severe defensive base turtling. Just because the threat of a toss in could come from anywhere. As it is now, its a super fast gametype which I think is part of its appeal. There's a better variant out there to be created though, that's for sure.

At the very least I'd love the option to remove the waypoint, even if it just to test if the waypoint is or isn't better for competitive play.

Eh, I disagree. Ricochet is a genuinely fun gametype that actually inspires good healthy teamplay. It could definitely use a Pro version without AA's (or forcing everyone to have Thruster Pack IMO), but it actually plays well and feels new at the same time. Its faster paced than classic Halo gametypes, but it promotes strategical team play and brings out the best on well made symmetrical maps.

Riiiicochet is pretty fun as-is, but a fixed-loadout version would be amazing. It would also be nice if they put some forge pieces in on some maps where it's just too easy to throw.

I think I'm going to sit down this week and try and figure out some insane Lightning Ricochet sort of variant.

...and maybe repurpose Synthesis and one of my other super duper mystery maps to work with it while I'm at it.

Thats a weird way to put it HiredNoobs.

Basically by doing the "Saving Halo" that you guys are doing, you're destroying Halo.

I'm not really interested in saving Halo at this point, because I'm getting the PlayStation 4 and specifically not getting the Xbox One. Microsoft needs to be humbled as a whole, not just 343 Industries.

I'm not even really interested in promoting the new Halo 4 DLC, just in being fair in my assessment of it. Ricochet is fun and well-designed. Is it worth paying money for? I would say yes if you tolerate Halo 4, no if not.

J10

Banned
Maybe the problem is Matchmaking and how limiting it is. That's one of the main things that has been holding Halo back from multiplayer superiority for years.

Matchmaking is supposed to be limiting - there's far too much bullshit to sort through otherwise. They gave players a way to share their shitty custom gametypes and maps via fileshares and web integration. That's enough. When they beg for a playlist, tell them no and that it's a stupid idea. A custom games browser would only fuck things up even more since there's already 30 playlists and only like thirteen people playing at a given moment. Stuff Grifball, SWAT, Infection, Infinity Slayer, and all that other bullshit into one playlist called Dumb Fuckery and call it a day.

Nebula

Customs died because people can play all those fun gametypes in Matchmaking and rank up while doing it. Should keep it to bonus weekends.

After watching the latest ViDoc, I'm thinking the multiplayer is going to be more similar to Shadowrun than anything else.

Either or, point is to juices is that there is no other Halo. Destiny is a June game and could easily slip to fall. Where are you going? Titanfall? Killzone? When they do something right might as well enjoy it.

Except for the jetpacks and camo. That shit still sucks.

daedalius

The alternative is to play the hundreds of other good games out there.

I've been grinding Dark Souls all week. Games ridiculous.

Or write up huge theses on this game but just dont play it. Act with your controller and console and dont give them that daily tally they need to stay on the Live charts. Speak out vocally here, and anywhere else. Spread the word. The population is honestly bad to the point where a good amount of social networking could negatively impact the population to the point 343 would HAVE to change their game. Actual change could happen if everyone would just domino effect.

Ahh whatever none of you fuckers are going to listen to me.

Enjoy your shit Halo.

ffs

Crossposting from the other thread.

7reo.png

Soon.

Magic is happening here.

Top Bottom