• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Hey who was is that said they had made a Basketball Ricochet gametype? Could they have it ready for next Saturday? We could totally play that in the customs next weekk.

Baschetball? nillapuddin625 has it on his File Share if you want to download it. I think the Teamwork gametype and Arena XL map would work the best (I think he might have them under a different name so something along the lines of Teamwork/Passing Only and Large/XL should work).

Fuchsdh

Baschetball? nillapuddin625 has it on his File Share if you want to download it. I think the Teamwork gametype and Arena XL map would work the best (I think he might have them under a different name so something along the lines of Teamwork/Passing Only and Large/XL should work).
I think I've still got the small Arena version in my file share as well. That's only good for 4v4 though.

Ricochet is a great gametype and far more competitive or tournament capable than say Grifball IMO. It has potential to be a right up there on both the fun matchmaking side and the competitive pro side too.

It's the same as any gametype or playlist in any Halo game though, if the teams/skills are not matched well it makes for a lopsided experience. In terms of say AGL or throwdown the exact same is true, when teams aren't matched well things are lopsided and not fun. The same went for MLG in Halo 3 or objective in Halo 3, Arena in Reach blah blah.

Each to their own and there is plenty of team, individual and fun or competitive nuance in ricochet for many experiences. If you aren't playing it as a full party and as a solo random then you really don't know what you're talking about.

I'll capture a couple of great games I/we've had in ricochet already, some will be full party and some will be solo so you can see exactly what I'm talking about.

Yea that argument is irrelevant Ozzy.

Ricochet is more competitive and tournament capable than Grifball? Oh WOW! Alert the presses.

Yea that argument is irrelevant Ozzy.

Ricochet is more competitive and tournament capable than Grifball? Oh WOW! Alert the presses.

It's to make a point and it expands to other playlists too. IMO ricochet is better then territories, team control, plots, headhunter, neutral flag, oddball, VIP, stockpile and elimination. Is that specific enough for you?

It could be on par or better than CTF (2-flag or 1-flag), assault and slayer too. Time will tell on that one and if tournaments pick up this gametype e.g. 343i tournies or AGL tournies. It definitely deserves a red hot go with pro teams. I'd like to see a tourney with multiple events e.g. team slayer only, mixed types (slayer+flag) and richochet.

Personally I prefer CTF/assault > ricochet > slayer always but I prefer most games over slayer as I find it boring, that's just me though.

heckfu

Banned
It's to make a point and it expands to other playlists too. IMO ricochet is better then territories, team control, plots, headhunter, neutral flag, oddball, VIP, stockpile and elimination. Is that specific enough for you?

It could be on par or better than CTF (2-flag or 1-flag), assault and slayer too. Time will tell on that one and if tournaments pick up this gametype e.g. 343i tournies or AGL tournies. It definitely deserves a red hot go with pro teams. I'd like to see a tourney with multiple events e.g. team slayer only, mixed types (slayer+flag) and richochet.

Personally I prefer CTF/assault > ricochet > slayer always but I prefer most games over slayer as I find it boring, that's just me though.

KZY7o6a.jpg

I haven't played it just yet, but is it me or does Ricochet have a shitton of interactive UI elements compared to all the other gametypes?

toddley, don't get so upset. i just disagree with your opinion.

Not upset at all mate just curious which part(s) you disagree with?
  • territories
  • team control
  • plots
  • headhunter
  • neutral flag
  • oddball
  • VIP
  • stockpile
  • elimination
  • grifball
  • slayer
  • FFA
  • just not competitive at all?

nillapuddin

Hey who was is that said they had made a Basketball Ricochet gametype? Could they have it ready for next Saturday? We could totally play that in the customs next weekk.

Heres the post when I published all that stuff

But Im pretty sure I accidently kept the respawn time at 5 seconds instead of 3 seconds, so youll want to change that most likely

edit: and like Fuchsdh and Daedalos said, the smaller size arena isnt on my share (oops)

FyreWulff

Tried a game of Ricochet earlier. Apparently not many people know you can score into the goals by tossing from the lower floor up to the goal on Haven. Got a couple of sneaky goals that way.

Also, DMR still seems to be king

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
Tried a game of Ricochet earlier. Apparently not many people know you can score into the goals by tossing from the lower floor up to the goal on Haven. Got a couple of sneaky goals that way.

Also, DMR still seems to be king

I see more BRs than anything these days, no question.

Nebula

I like Ricochet because positioning is key in it. Something I haven't seen in Halo 4 for quite some time.

BR and BoltShot seems to be the thing now, at least outside of BTB anyway.

I don't know if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone here know of an effective parkour / wall-cling solution in the Halo 4 sandbox? I'm thinking high speed, low gravity and Thrusters combined with some wall-mounted one-way shield doors will do the trick, but I don't know if anyone's deliberately figured a more universal solution out.

Ricochet is awesome for the sole fact that you can practice spots on your own to score from. Reminds me of grenade tricks in Halo 1 and finding spots to bounce the flag in Halo 2.

One person can make a difference in Ricochet unlike other objectives in later Halo games. I think that's the key to success for future releases; bringing back the power of an individual player. Ever since Halo 2 there's been this heavy reliance on pretty much forcing players to work together (ie: slow movement, pretty much requiring teamshots, weaker/watered down gameplay), but that's just not how gamers work. If a system (multiplayer in general) or gametype (smaller scale) allows for one person to make a difference in a match, I think Halo would find more success. But first:

1. Make it more rewarding/difficult to kill people with fast-to-kill weapons
    -This topic has been beaten to death, but it's pretty much lower the aim assist, take away the randomness and bring that rewarding feeling back to successfully landing a minimum-shots-to-kill kill.
  2. Speed up the pace of objective gametypes
    -Things like not making the objective carrier as slow as molasses dripping down a hairy butt crack. Not adding a KILL waypoint to the objective carrier. Allowing the objective carrier to switch roles if the situation calls for it (ie: drop flag). Consider going back to how fast Halo 1/2 objective felt with traits like "floatier" flag physics and/or possibly making the objective carrier faster than other players if you insist on forcing them to stay in that role.
  3. Sound-based radar
    -Movement is key and when motion tracker picks up players from across the map engagements become much less interesting. It's widely known that the majority of Halo players prefer radar, but I think this is the best compromise in order to promote smarter map movement and increase player awareness. As a result, players will get better and matches will be far more interesting than they've ever been.*

*This applies to many areas of Halo, such as the aforementioned increase in skill-demanding weapons. These are only three examples of how you can give POWER back to the individual player while also benefiting the entire demographic of Halo's fanbase, both in the short and long terms.

TheOddOne

Hey Juices, some amazing Oracle of Delphi knowledge for you: you're never going to be hired for anything because you'd rather sit on your ass and complain than put any effort into getting experience or reaching your goals. I can only imagine the rest of your life is on the same level. Enjoy your bitterness and depression. You deserve every moment.
tumblr_mfczf6kFMH1r72ht7o1_500.gif

Karl2177

I don't need to have Gold to get gametypes from File Shares, right? Also, could someone be a pal and put the Haven Ricochet map and the Ricochet gametype on their File Share?

Also here's that overkill clip I finally captured.

Ricochet Carrier Overkill

I think I'm in love with my new Live Gamer Portable. Literally did nothing but connect cables/fast write SD card and hit a button to start/stop capturing. I'll try out streaming shortly too. The actual capture was 60fps, zero frames dropped and it makes the clip look really smooth in full 1080p glory. Too bad my first YouTube channel upload automatically downsized to 720p/30fps only. Any tips for capturing and uploading to YT?

I also remembered this clip wrong, there was no score at the end, I thought I dropped it and it rolled into the goal, oh well WTF random team mates! How did you not score???

Here's a fast break at the game opener, WTF YT why 360p? Hmmm.

Last one for today:
Out BR'd

For me this is part of why I don't understand 100% negative comments about the "current state" of Halo (4) multiplayer. Yes it's hitscan, yes it has assist/magnetism etc but this is online play and here I am from Australia on a USA hosted game but able to out BR an enemy who has the first shot on me.

This is how competitive online play should be handled, LAN/events may be a different story though. I too agree that next gen regional servers should lessen such "assistance" for online fairness.

One person can make a difference in Ricochet unlike other objectives in later Halo games. I think that's the key to success for future releases; bringing back the power of an individual player. Ever since Halo 2 there's been this heavy reliance on pretty much forcing players to work together (ie: slow movement, pretty much requiring teamshots, weaker/watered down gameplay), but that's just not how gamers work. If a system (multiplayer in general) or gametype (smaller scale) allows for one person to make a difference in a match, I think Halo would find more success. But first:

Speed up the pace of objective gametypes
-Things like not making the objective carrier as slow as molasses dripping down a hairy butt crack. Not adding a KILL waypoint to the objective carrier. Allowing the objective carrier to switch roles if the situation calls for it (ie: drop flag). Consider going back to how fast Halo 1/2 objective felt with traits like "floatier" flag physics and/or possibly making the objective carrier faster than other players if you insist on forcing them to stay in that role.

Yep. Halo's (or rather, Bungie's) objective style always bothered me a little because it always shafted the objective carrier compared to games like UT99. They made the carrier kind of a shitty role to actually play, since not only did you not get a weapon, but had to walk ridiculously slowly, all while being murder target #1 for the other team.

I mean, that style is great for full teams who have to organize well to succeed but I don't think it ever worked super-well out in the wild with idiot randies who either couldn't organize or stat padders who were loathe to risk their K/D getting a flag touch.

343i gave us the flagnum, which is neat, but the inability to drop the flag and auto-pickup are mega-terrible (not to mention dropping a gazillion gametypes completely). Ricochet, however, is a fairly decent blend of functional with casuals and rewarding for dedicated teams (different tosses, catching, goalkeeping, etc).

daedalius

Yep. Halo's (or rather, Bungie's) objective style always bothered me a little because it always shafted the objective carrier compared to games like UT99. They made the carrier kind of a shitty role to actually play, since not only did you not get a weapon, but had to walk ridiculously slowly, all while being murder target #1 for the other team.

I mean, that style is great for full teams who have to organize well to succeed but I don't think it ever worked super-well out in the wild with idiot randies who either couldn't organize or stat padders who were loathe to risk their K/D getting a flag touch.

343i gave us the flagnum, which is neat, but the inability to drop the flag and auto-pickup are mega-terrible (not to mention dropping a gazillion gametypes completely). Ricochet, however, is a fairly decent blend of functional with casuals and rewarding for dedicated teams (different tosses, catching, goalkeeping, etc).

Flag on the back is best, full weapons!

Why change the awesome that was Quake/UT objective types?

FyreWulff

[*]Speed up the pace of objective gametypes

Remember when MLG had the chance to make the flag carrier run at 100%?

And then they didn't because everyone was too obsessed with attempting to abuse a facet of Halo 3's physics engine instead?

That option to make the carrier run at normal speed has been in there forever and nobody seems to ever want to actually use it, and Speedflag just got ire from people.

Tawpgun

Remember when MLG had the chance to make the flag carrier run at 100%?

And then they didn't because everyone was too obsessed with attempting to abuse a facet of Halo 3's physics engine instead?

That option to make the carrier run at normal speed has been in there forever and nobody seems to ever want to actually use it, and Speedflag just got ire from people.

Because flag juggling is fun.

A neat risk reward mechanic to it also.

FyreWulff

Because flag juggling is fun.

A neat risk reward mechanic to it also.

risk reward on LAN for a while gain of maybe two seconds

On Live, it fails most of the time, and I just facepalmed when I inevitably witnessed Pro Flag Tosser outrun the flag, turn around, and have to pick it back up, while going

HEY

HEY

HEY

I'M OVER HERE WITH THE FLAG, OTHER TEAM

YOU WERE DISTRACTED WITH MY TEAMMATES TAKING ROCKETS BUT LOOK AT ME

OVER

HERE

RUNNING THE FLAG

REMINDING YOU OF MY POSITION

SERIOUS FLAG BUSINESS COMING THROUGH

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
That certainly didn't happen to me, "most of the time" I think if it did I wouldn't have juggled the flag as often as I did.

Overdoziz

Banned
It's dumb because it's handing the other team free intel on a silver platter at risk to you with no downsides for the enemy team.
This argument again? Juggling is faster but requires skill. It also makes you show up clearly on the map. Not doing it is slow but you remain (relatively) stealthy. If someone can pull off a good flag juggle (and it's not as hard for most people as it apparently is for you) you can get back to your base a lot quicker. And that's very important on small maps as the enemy will spawn close to you. Trying to be stealthy by not juggling isn't very helpful against good players as they probably know where you're going anyway,

Top Bottom