• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
It's bad, but there is still fun to be had.
hSSM6Zz.gif

Nebula

Just realized that 1-50 probably will not make a return in Halo 5 unless 343 completely rewrite how TrueSkill and leveling up/down works. This is mainly because people can just make a ton of second accounts on the Xbone as all accounts on one console get access to Gold benefits as long as one account has Gold.

Mabef

Banned
I made a small 2v2 map and now it's sitting on my harddrive. Does anyone actually play Halo, would someone try it out if I posted it? I tested it with a few friends and it worked decent, the spawning might be too predictable though.

Also, Wahrer I know you're all dead and banned now but I haven't forgotten about our sweet sweet music.

Just realized that 1-50 probably will not make a return in Halo 5 unless 343 completely rewrite how TrueSkill and leveling up/down works. This is mainly because people can just make a ton of second accounts on the Xbone as all accounts on one console get access to Gold benefits as long as one account has Gold.
Why did people make new accounts anyways? I assumed it was because fresh accounts are easier to rank; You could definitely get 'stuck' in H3's ranking. People were cheating as a way of dealing with a poorly explained or executed system (I dunno which).
A solution that kind of sidesteps the issue would be to have seasons that reset ranking. Or they could show the math for why a player is/isn't ranking up, that might help some people. Or, you know, they could improve the ranking system to treat new and old players similarly.

Fuchsdh

I made a small 2v2 map and now it's sitting on my harddrive. Does anyone actually play Halo, would someone try it out if I posted it? I tested it with a few friends and it worked decent, the spawning might be too predictable though.

Also, Wahrer I know you're all dead and banned now but I haven't forgotten about our sweet sweet music.

Always up for testing. Hit me up if I'm online. GT Pixelfox.

Got my wires crossed but I felt like the bulletin was pretty pretentious, it reaked of BSAngel trying to emulate Bungie and the way they try to hype projects.

Maybe they'll bring it back so I can rage at campers and stuff

Proximity voice was legit. Tricking people while you sneak in with the bomb was hilarious. "I need help sneaking in the left doorway." (Zanzibar)
-crawls through right doorway for bomb plant-

People really need to raise more hell about this. CTF used to be my favorite thing in Halo - now its ruined with the ridiculous "show everyone the flag carrier at all times". The definition of dumbing something down. I remember hiding in the enemy base with the flag waiting for a warthog pickup - this is impossible now.

Agreed, CTF was most fun when it was fast and the flag was lighter. Let's do lunch and plan this out, naked, Naked.

A0Alo9L.jpg

Was a surprisingly effective spot to hide on such an open map, as long as you weren't spotted going out the back door initially. People didn't tend to go around the base looking towards the base.

I totally used that spot. I think before the patches and stuff - Halo 2 had an unlimited sudden death - a team literally had to score to end the game. I remember a CTF round on Coag lasting forever with someone hiding in that spot. Also, memories of people taking the bomb on top of the map. A 1 bomb game lasted 3 hours before the defenders made it up there to kill them - after you stayed long enough there was no way in hell you were quitting until you saw it finished.

Those games that lasted several hours in Halo 1/2 were soooo exciting. Victories felt satisfying and losses weren't too bad.

A decent compromise would be the flag waypoint appearing whenever someone has red reticule on the flag carrier. This would let micless players contribute intel to the team but still allow choice with the flag. So basically spotting like you said, without losing a button to it.

Camo (as a pickup) would block being spotted via this system

edit: red reticule or have to put a shot into them with your weapon to paint them

HaloGAF (both threads) has been a good read tonight.

Enfinit

Played my first ever game of Ricochet today. Only played a single game on Abandon. I didn't touch the ball once, I went 9-1, and no team got skunked.

But it was... I guess.

Got my wires crossed but I felt like the bulletin was pretty pretentious, it reaked of BSAngel trying to emulate Bungie and the way they try to hype projects.
It was both exciting and odd to have her type of prose back. The way she hyped it, it nearly got me excited for Halo's future. However, after the past 9 nines, saying I'm extremely hesitant to put my faith in them is an understatement. I'm very cautiously optimistic.

Those games that lasted several hours in Halo 1/2 were soooo exciting. Victories felt satisfying and losses weren't too bad.
It's that type of competitivism that Halo 4 lacks. There's no incentive to stay in a game that long because wins and losses don't hold any value. Wins in Halo 1 and Halo 2, even Halo 3, meant something more than a statistic. It was soulfully satisfying. With Halo 4, I can dong and get donged on and my emotional reactions aren't very far apart.

All the Halo 2 games that I played that were over 20 minutes long were due to either griefing or cheating, not sure if you guys are thinking of LAN games or just delusional.

wwm0nkey

All the Halo 2 games that I played that were over 20 minutes long were due to either griefing or cheating, not sure if you guys are thinking of LAN games or just delusional.

Do you consider contesting cheating/griefing or something? That was what resulted in A LOT of 20+ min long on Headlong for me and they were glorious.

FyreWulff

Contesting battles were great.

Longest game I think we did was a 4 hour game on Headlong. Other team got the flag up into the skybox. We were so pissed (and had nothing else to do, being the weekend) that we just waited to go kill the flag carrier. Eventually locked down the banshee, then placed snipers up in the skybox with it that looked for the flag carrier and eventually found it.

Not long after that was when they finally removed the Banshee from Headlong in matchmaking.

Do you consider contesting cheating/griefing or something? That was what resulted in A LOT of 20+ min long on Headlong for me and they were glorious.

Contesting via escaping the normal playable area via glitching to prolong the game indefinitely, yes. Actually trying to score and using the extra time for that purpose, that's obviously playing the game rather than exploiting it.

I also remember winning against people even though they were standbying, and as rewarding as that was, I somehow don't really miss getting standbyed.

Contesting via escaping the normal playable area via glitching to prolong the game indefinitely, yes. Actually trying to score and using the extra time for that purpose, that's obviously playing the game rather than exploiting it.

I also remember winning against people even though they were standbying, and as rewarding as that was, I somehow don't really miss getting standbyed.

I remember winning a game of 1-bomb on Zanzibar even though we were down a couple guys and didn't score the first round while the other team scored on both of their chances.

The secret to winning? Hiding the bomb (and not even glitching to do so) for 2.5 hours until the entire other team quit. Oh, sweet victory.

Yeah... but that's still griefing (I remember holding the bomb on waterworks for god knows how long once). Game's better overall without being able to do that.

I remember winning a game of 1-bomb on Zanzibar even though we were down a couple guys and didn't score the first round while the other team scored on both of their chances.

The secret to winning? Hiding the bomb (and not even glitching to do so) for 2.5 hours until the entire other team quit. Oh, sweet victory.

Assault, Burial Mounds, offense.

1. Grab the Hog (obviously)
  2. Pick up the bomb guy
  3. Drop bomb guy off around the front of the base to hide
  4. Wreak havoc, cause distractions while the bomb guy chills
  5. Capitalize when the moment is right and tell the bomb guy to plant
  6. Halo 2 Assault.
  7. Halo.
Make it happen.

2. Pick up the bomb guy
  6. Halo 2 Assault.
  7. Halo.
Make it happen.

Same map and gametype but team mate surfs the hog hood with bomb or surfs then slingshots out of the back cave to literally fly/slide jump through the base, grab the flag and fly out the window all in one motion. We had too much success with latter, it was a thing of beauty as a round opener.

gAg CruSh3r

2. Pick up the bomb guy
  6. Halo 2 Assault.
  7. Halo.
Make it happen.

gif-2-thumbs-up.gif

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
HaloGAF Customs

t1379206800z1.png

Ok, I'll start taking invites now. We won't begin until we get a good amount of people though. Send your messages to "TashiGAF" and I'll shoot you an invite. Or if someone on your list is in the party just message them o whatever.

Well it didn't take long for assholes to ruin Ricochet. I thought it was a fluke but teams are spawn raping instead of actually try to win the game. They jetpack up on top of those columns top mid on haven and start lobbing grenades and rush anyone they missed. Rinse, repeat. You see multiple people with +500 scores who never touched the ball...

Well it didn't take long for assholes to ruin Ricochet. I thought it was a fluke but teams are spawn raping instead of actually try to win the game. They jetpack up on top of those columns top mid on haven and start lobbing grenades and rush anyone they missed. Rinse, repeat. You see multiple people with +500 scores who never touched the ball...

Classic objective holding! Post that gameplay son. RIP in peace good Halo.

Also really with the bolded stuff? Cmon son.

Tawpgun

Good ol slayer unlimited!

Haven spawns are ridiculously predictable, too. So many triples and above.

Haven spawns are ridiculously predictable, too. So many triples and above.

Yeah, I got sick of it so I quit out. At one point the entire other team was cloaked with AR/Boltshot and I couldn't spawn.

343, this is what happens when you cock up a game like this with shit that doesn't belong. Ricochet should be pro only anyway.

Mabef

Banned
Always up for testing. Hit me up if I'm online. GT Pixelfox.

Cool. I tried to join the customs last night but was too late. If anyone's interested to try my map without me, here.

It's a small 2v2 map. 1v1's could work too, if the weapons were tuned for it. There's a mid-map OS pickup, and a 0-clip sniper at each side. Some BRs and carbines are around... I haven't done much forging since H3, which probably shows in various ways
like how it's built on erosion

They spawn you close to the goal to try to balance out the fact it's so easy to score otherwise, but I wish they would have tried to put up some forge walls to make it harder to score instead.

Ricochet pro works better, too, I agree.

They spawn you close to the goal to try to balance out the fact it's so easy to score otherwise, but I wish they would have tried to put up some forge walls to make it harder to score instead.

I wonder if they could add shield recharge to the home team or something. Not that it would stop spawn killing but these maps really weren't designed for the game type. You really can't defend against throwing.

Everything "pro" works better. Motion-based radar is detrimental to the flow of combat, especially in Halo.

Sound-based would be the best IMO so it doesn't gimp map movement and allows for power plays. Let's face it, radar as we know it in Halo is extremely overpowered.

Enfinit

I've spent the last two nights playing more Halo 4 than I have in the best two months. Ricochet can be a really, really fun gametype. However, the spawning is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING PATHETIC. Especially on Adrift, where you're always going to spawn behind the flag area (whatever the fuck it's called).

I probably played nearly 30 games of Ricochet and every single game was either Haven or Adrift. No one selected Solace, and of course none of my friends have any of the DLC. I am also a little confused at the scoring area on Adrift - wouldn't it make more sense to have it on the platform behind the flag spawn (where you spawn), instead of at lift landing? It's harder to get to, you can't throw it right off the lift, it's a tad more guarded...

Maybe not. Ricochet is actually pretty fun, but of course 343i finds some way to fuck it up with the terrible, terrible spawning.

I've spent the last two nights playing more Halo 4 than I have in the best two months. Ricochet can be a really, really fun gametype. However, the spawning is ABSOLUTELY FUCKING PATHETIC. Especially on Adrift, where you're always going to spawn behind the flag area (whatever the fuck it's called).

I probably played nearly 30 games of Ricochet and every single game was either Haven or Adrift. No one selected Solace, and of course none of my friends have any of the DLC. I am also a little confused at the scoring area on Adrift - wouldn't it make more sense to have it on the platform behind the flag spawn (where you spawn), instead of at lift landing? It's harder to get to, you can't throw it right off the lift, it's a tad more guarded...

Maybe not. Ricochet is actually pretty fun, but of course 343i finds some way to fuck it up with the terrible, terrible spawning.

Yeah, they need to move the goal so its not in reach of the man cannon. I mean cmon, sometimes it's just so obvious. You are defending 2 other points, there is not way to defend against a guy coming though the man cannon right into the goal. I think they need to drop the points of throws to 10 points.

Ramirez

Contesting battles were great.

Longest game I think we did was a 4 hour game on Headlong. Other team got the flag up into the skybox. We were so pissed (and had nothing else to do, being the weekend) that we just waited to go kill the flag carrier. Eventually locked down the banshee, then placed snipers up in the skybox with it that looked for the flag carrier and eventually found it.

Not long after that was when they finally removed the Banshee from Headlong in matchmaking.

Uh huh

Fuchsdh

Cool. I tried to join the customs last night but was too late. If anyone's interested to try my map without me, here.

It's a small 2v2 map. 1v1's could work too, if the weapons were tuned for it. There's a mid-map OS pickup, and a 0-clip sniper at each side. Some BRs and carbines are around... I haven't done much forging since H3, which probably shows in various ways
like how it's built on erosion

I actually just finished a trench-warfare style map on Forge Island, but ran into serious shortages of pieces. I think running it on Erosion will actually be a better idea, including the look of the pieces. The different Forge canvases definitely have their place, they just really should have made flat areas in each of them to supplement the natural terrain.

I tried to mess with custom gametypes for the first time in ages, but apparently Stability Slayer is an impossible dream. Sad day.

Isn't it because it's unlocked through specializations? I think I remember reading somewhere that only 343 has access to that option. Or modders / Megalo-pros of course.

It would be like Legendary BRs (but maybe with DMRs?), but everyone gets the Stability perk (the anti-flinch one). Something a little bit like Zero Bloom in Reach, which I enjoyed.

Edit: Gah, they give those shitty preset loadouts in Infinity for people who don't have full unlocks, so seems like allowing that content in customs wouldn't break the oh-so-fun unlock metagame too much.

Top Bottom