• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

It's dumb because it's handing the other team free intel on a silver platter at risk to you with no downsides for the enemy team.

Yeah, I think juggling could have been faster so the trade off could've been more apparent, but I also think it's fundamentally an interesting trade between obvious speed and slower stealth that they should bring back.

It was amusing to pull the flag against a wannabe pro team and deliberately not juggle it, and run it all the way back with nary a scratch because holy shit where's the flag?.

I love flag juggling arguments.

I can live with it or without it because, as ExWife can attest in our many Lightning Flag matches, I have the agility of a greased-up deaf guy while carrying the flag.

FyreWulff

You can't seriously believe flag juggling is worse in every single case when it comes to online mm at least.

The success rate is not high enough to pull the handle on the Latency Slot Machine, myself.

There's certain stuff that works better on LAN and certain stuff that works better on LIVE. For instance, a tactic for myself on Terminal was to launch myself forward with the ghost. It doesn't work on LAN because there's no delay / "catch up" being done by the engine due to latency.

Now Halo 1, and Halo 2, sure yeah I flag throw like a motherfucker on maps like Sanctuary. Halo 1's flag fires out of your body like a greased ball of butter and Halo 2 spawned the flag way in front of you. Halo 2's method smoothed out any hitches from LIVE latency.

Duji

The success rate is not high enough to pull the handle on the Latency Slot Machine, myself.

There's certain stuff that works better on LAN and certain stuff that works better on LIVE. For instance, a tactic for myself on Terminal was to launch myself forward with the ghost. It doesn't work on LAN because there's no delay / "catch up" being done by the engine due to latency.

Now Halo 1, and Halo 2, sure yeah I flag throw like a motherfucker on maps like Sanctuary. Halo 1's flag fires out of your body like a greased ball of butter and Halo 2 spawned the flag way in front of you. Halo 2's method smoothed out any hitches from LIVE latency.
Just to be clear... which game(s) do you have problems with flag juggling? H3/Reach? We're not talking about H4 obviously, right?

FyreWulff

Just to be clear... which game(s) do you have problems with flag juggling? H3/Reach? We're not talking about H4 obviously, right?

Halo 3. Not 4, for obvious reasons. 4 cancels it out with the permanent waypoint, which constantly reminds the other team where the other flag is at, for free. I see why they did it, but I don't like it. I prefer to be ninja objective runner.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite and like to abuse my own set of flag bugs, like being able to grab a flag 5 feet behind you while facing away from it. You can abuse that on on Valhalla to immediately drop to the bottom while going past the flag on Heavies. And of course slide-jumping off inclines, and abusing the ledge drop animations to jump off air.

Halo 3. Not 4, for obvious reasons. 4 cancels it out with the permanent waypoint, which constantly reminds the other team where the other flag is at, for free. I see why they did it, but I don't like it. I prefer to be ninja objective runner.

I'll admit I'm a bit of a hypocrite and like to abuse my own set of flag bugs, like being able to grab a flag 5 feet behind you while facing away from it. You can abuse that on on Valhalla to immediately drop to the bottom while going past the flag on Heavies. And of course slide-jumping off inclines, and abusing the ledge drop animations to jump off air.

Agreed, stealth flag is best flag. Slide jumping needs to come back to prevalence, it's sort of there in 4 but not to the level seen in Halo 2.

heckfu

Banned
Agreed, stealth flag is best flag. Slide jumping needs to come back to prevalence, it's sort of there in 4 but not to the level seen in Halo 2.

Do you have a twitter?

Also, one isn't 'better' than the other. Each is situational but flag juggling is almost always better in any situation if you can do it well. See what I did there?

Do you have a twitter?

Also, one isn't 'better' than the other. Each is situational but flag juggling is almost always better in any situation if you can do it well. See what I did there?

Sure mate, https://twitter.com/ozzyonyaa2z. I don't use it that often though but it's there. I suppose I should add it to my Waypoint signature. Calling me Toddley, asking for Twitter...I don't date dudes mate
I kid

Remember I love CTF/Assault and ranked H3 objective. I'm quite used to flag juggling and loved the decision of juggle to go fast or hold and stealth run it. Maps like The Pit or Sanctuary work well with juggling vs. holding where maps like Valhalla generally use stealth flag holding far more. I found myself even using the flag dropped as a bait and switch misdirection fairly often, maps like Narrows worked well for that skill.

I never enjoyed the announcer flag dropped, flag taken...should have just announced once or twice then just text feeds from there for a limited time or until flag returned/scored.

Gui_PT

gz15t6c.gif

Well now we need animated avatars back

Cels

so i haven't played halo 4 in about half a year and i never touched spartan ops.

renewed my gold recently, downloaded all 10 episodes and...spartan ops seems really boring, and i'm playing it with a friend on heroic. am i doing something wrong, or is it just not for me? i had a lot more fun with big team infinity slayer.

so i haven't played halo 4 in about half a year and i never touched spartan ops.

renewed my gold recently, downloaded all 10 episodes and...spartan ops seems really boring, and i'm playing it with a friend on heroic. am i doing something wrong, or is it just not for me? i had a lot more fun with big team infinity slayer.
Spartan Ops is just not very good.
There are a few fun episodes, but most of it is filler.

Gui_PT

Yeah most episodes are boring and repetitive especially considering how they re-use levels and it's mostly "go here and press a button"

There are a couple of really nice and fun episodes, most of those vehicle based but that's pretty much it.

Naked Lunch

People really need to raise more hell about this. CTF used to be my favorite thing in Halo - now its ruined with the ridiculous "show everyone the flag carrier at all times". The definition of dumbing something down. I remember hiding in the enemy base with the flag waiting for a warthog pickup - this is impossible now.

FyreWulff

People really need to raise more hell about this. CTF used to be my favorite thing in Halo - now its ruined with the ridiculous "show everyone the flag carrier at all times". The definition of dumbing something down. I remember hiding in the enemy base with the flag waiting for a warthog pickup - this is impossible now.

A0Alo9L.jpg

Was a surprisingly effective spot to hide on such an open map, as long as you weren't spotted going out the back door initially. People didn't tend to go around the base looking towards the base.

FyreWulff

Rip in peace flag.

Halo should just have a damn spotting mechanic.

A decent compromise would be the flag waypoint appearing whenever someone has red reticule on the flag carrier. This would let micless players contribute intel to the team but still allow choice with the flag. So basically spotting like you said, without losing a button to it.

Camo (as a pickup) would block being spotted via this system

edit: red reticule or have to put a shot into them with your weapon to paint them

Tawpgun

A decent compromise would be the flag waypoint appearing whenever someone has red reticule on the flag carrier. This would let micless players contribute intel to the team but still allow choice with the flag. So basically spotting like you said, without losing a button to it.

You wanna do red reticle or just any reticle? Maybe if its red it will instantly spot and if you're too far away just hover over the flag guy for like 2-3 seconds and it will spot.

FyreWulff

You wanna do red reticle or just any reticle? Maybe if its red it will instantly spot and if you're too far away just hover over the flag guy for like 2-3 seconds and it will spot.

I would say red because any reticule would just let you sweep the map to find the flag carrier.

I almost want to say the sniper rifle wouldn't be allowed to spot for this reason (if they can see the flag, they can probably kill it in the next few seconds anyway).

Naked Lunch

Was a surprisingly effective spot to hide on such an open map, as long as you weren't spotted going out the back door initially. People didn't tend to go around the base looking towards the base.
I totally used that spot. I think before the patches and stuff - Halo 2 had an unlimited sudden death - a team literally had to score to end the game. I remember a CTF round on Coag lasting forever with someone hiding in that spot. Also, memories of people taking the bomb on top of the map. A 1 bomb game lasted 3 hours before the defenders made it up there to kill them - after you stayed long enough there was no way in hell you were quitting until you saw it finished.

gAg CruSh3r

A0Alo9L.jpg

I miss Halo 2 Blood Gulch and Waterworks :(... Best CTF maps from Halo multiplayer. They really need to bring back Sudden-death time (2 mins added extra time) into Halo for Objection game types. I love having that thrill of gameplay when you pick up the flag last second and making a strong effort of sneaking/ killing everyone with no waypoint to get that final score to win the game.

gAg CruSh3r

edit: red reticule or have to put a shot into them with your weapon to paint them

I would say red because any reticule would just let you sweep the map to find the flag carrier.

I almost want to say the sniper rifle wouldn't be allowed to spot for this reason (if they can see the flag, they can probably kill it in the next few seconds anyway).

So like Gears of War? Where you can mark a player but it can be only the Flag carrier?

J10

Banned

You have a lot of good ideas. You should make games.

I totally used that spot. I think before the patches and stuff - Halo 2 had an unlimited sudden death - a team literally had to score to end the game. I remember a CTF round on Coag lasting forever with someone hiding in that spot. Also, memories of people taking the bomb on top of the map. A 1 bomb game lasted 3 hours before the defenders made it up there to kill them - after you stayed long enough there was no way in hell you were quitting until you saw it finished.

Yep unlimited sudden death back then. I recall a near 2 hour game on burial mounds where enemies took the flag out of the map at their offensive spawn in the last round. My team got down to 2 of us and we refused to let them win. Jumped on the laptop and learnt the Spectre ramming trick for that spot. So my random team mate gets rockets and I eventually get him up there. As he's literally flying up there he nails 1 of 3 enemies with his first rocket and I just watch and listening as he then double kills the other enemy and flag carrier with the second. Within a those dying seconds hearing round over and game over have never been do sweet to prevail 2 caps to 1. Proximity voice had the enemies bagging us for near 2 hours and random team mate chatting prevailed. I have never trash talked so hard in any post carnage session. The enemies did allow us the full post carnage time to bask in this most epic win on the final round. They even seemed to enjoy our "accomplishment" too.

Halo 2 was amazing, that game was the perfect storm and I'll never forget that experience.

WHAT THE FUCK

Sure he's a little hit and miss but fucker is funny as when he nails it. Better than HaloGAF meta chatter for 5-10 mins anyhow.

First 30 minutes was junk? You mean because it was all PAX talk?

The podcast before that one mate, it was a slooow one for a big chunk of the start. I've said before I really appreciate you/HaloGAF and the coverage you provide from events but it's some legit feedback for prior that PAX episode. Anyhow Halo has all sorts of characters to showcase, why not trial some more members?

Well to be fair what are they really going to talk about?

The games dead, the population is dead. Theres no large changes or patching to look forward to. Bad playlist management.

Hope dwindling for even the next game.

Well to be fair what are they really going to talk about?

The games dead, the population is dead. Theres no large changes or patching to look forward to. Bad playlist management.

Hope dwindling for even the next game.

Precisely why the PAX episode picked it up again. Also reinforces why a creative person like Warher has content filler when podcasts lack events/things to talk about in some episodes. Anyhow I don't mean to post so much, it's not just my thread.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
The podcast before that one mate, it was a slooow one for a big chunk of the start. I've said before I really appreciate you/HaloGAF and the coverage you provide from events but it's some legit feedback for prior that PAX episode. Anyhow Halo has all sorts of characters to showcase, why not trial some more members?

Oh THAT one. That was a fun one but it wasn't as good as the others because I actually did it with shownotes I made like 5 minutes prior to recording. I'm open to all feedback.

It's pretty damn difficult to record these shows when you consider other people's schedules and time zone differences. There have been so many times where the show has been postponed for a number of reasons. Sometimes you just have to record one just to put a show out. I do my best to get a lot of different people on and so far I think I've done a solid job to be honest. Don't worry, babby will get his turn soon enough.

The podcast format is good enough to be independent of news or other stuff going on in the Halo community. I can whip up a full show from what might appear like nothing. They will get back to being more regular instead of just providing reactions to events.

Oh THAT one. That was a fun one but it wasn't as good as the others because I actually did it with shownotes I made like 5 minutes prior to recording. I'm open to all feedback.

It's pretty damn difficult to record these shows when you consider other people's schedules and time zone differences. There have been so many times where the show has been postponed for a number of reasons. Sometimes you just have to record one just to put a show out. I do my best to get a lot of different people on and so far I think I've done a solid job to be honest. Don't worry, babby will get his turn soon enough.

The podcast format is good enough to be independent of news or other stuff going on in the Halo community. I can whip up a full show from what might appear like nothing. They will get back to being more regular instead of just providing reactions to events.

Nice mate, you're a consummate professional.

Top Bottom