• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Halo 4 |OT2| TURBO

Aw, well sucks about multiplayer; I didn't even realize. I just had heard about it before and seemed like a good creative outlet.

Nah, it's no biggie, I appreciate the link. Honestly, I've wanted to try and either dabble in Halo Custom Edition or sign up for a (free) non-commercial CryEngine 3 license to get the ball rolling, I just have no idea how to program and I can't really afford to AAA pay someone for it. Not like there's much point in the first place, since I'll be in bootcamp by December.

Also, just a nugget of info I noticed from Ozzy's megapost:

Halo 4 Jackals are an isolated subspecies of Kig-Yar that evolved on an alternate continent compared to the breed in the primary Covenant military. In other words, Jul 'Mdama essentially paid an army of Jackal cavemen to fight for him. It's a reasonable excuse, imo, because now we've seen both extremes of Jackal subspecies: the avian side (Skirmishers) and the reptilian side (Halo 4 variant).

Still doesn't really explain pumpkin-headed Locust Grunts or the Elites, though.

mo60

So it looks like 343i's dlc experiment failed.A lot of the infinity slayer players moved to the big team battle playlist.No overall pop drop has occurred yet because of this experiment

mo60

Lol making infinity slayer DLC required killed alot of the remaining population it seems.

Beam Rifle on Skyline in Legendary BRs is fucking nuts. Why are they able to ruin almost good gametypes with such stupid weapon placements.

It killed that playlist's population only from what I saw.

It killed that playlist's population only from what I saw.

Player toggles with just core playlists would be so much better, Halo X1 better go down that route or create a system that exceeds the hit and miss that all Halo games have had with developer controlled matchmaking playlists/settings.

Hey guys, this shithead just unleashed some sick fires.jaypeg on David Ellis.

Let's take a collective dump in his mailbox.

THIS JUST IN!

jfRPuiN.png

WAHRER: YOU ARE OF BALDING!

Fuchsdh

Ah.

@SteveFoxAngel
"i play guitar for the signed band called The Ammunition we travel the states and are currently working on an albumn"

All you need to know.

Sketched up my Ricochet map. Now let's see if I have the actual talent to execute it...

Roland:
-Created to replace Infinity's AI that perished in its crash on Requiem in 2557

In the end 343 decided to kill Anie, that explains why there is not an IA in Halo 4.

And lolz the S4 not having ranks, they are just Spartan.

As I recall they did reduce the beam rifle's aim magnetism. It probably could have been addressed further-- it's still fairly easy to use. I don't actually ever scope in with it--I just go for the snapshots. More fun that way anyhow.

Pretty sure they didn't. Wasn't featured in the patch notes.

Ah.

@SteveFoxAngel
"i play guitar for the signed band called The Ammunition we travel the states and are currently working on an albumn"

All you need to know.

He "could care less"

Gordon

Gratz to ShiftKiwi for getting his map Graphite into Doubles
Got any screenshots or anything? Your post is the only thing I can find googling it..
Edit: NVM - found it http://forgehub.com/threads/graphite.147466/

Pretty sure they didn't. Wasn't featured in the patch notes.
You are correct - there are no changes to the Beam Rifle in the current weapon tuning. Here is a list of all of the weapons that had auto-aim adjusted
Suppressor; Auto-aim angle, magnetism angle
AR; Auto-aim angle, magnetism angle
DMR; Auto-aim range
BR; Auto-aim range
Carbine; Auto-aim range
Storm Rifle; Auto-aim angle, magnetism angle
Light Rifle; Auto-aim range
Warthog Gunner - Gauss; Auto-aim range, magnetism range
(and why not - here's the rest of the tuning changes)
Light Rifle; RoF
Suppressor; Bloom, damage
Magnum; Damage
AR; Bloom, damage
BR; RoF, damage
SAW; Damage
Carbine; RoF, damage
Storm Rifle; Bloom, charge usage, damage
Warthog gunner - chaingun; Damage
Mech chaingun; Damage

Fuchsdh

Need another eye on that bad boy just let me know
Haha well I realized my initial idea didn't work. Not sure i really had enough pieces to execute it either. Now I've got something that's a lot more generic, will try to improve from there. Richochet seems to be really hard to figure out because you have two static locations you need to prevent from being too easy to toss into... Even on the Pit you can Hail Mary over the wall.

can't you put up a shield door to prevent throws to the obvious opening, but still keeping more accurate throws possible? I haven't played the game, so I really know nothing about it apart from what I've gathered here. Seems like Quidditch.

Fuchsdh

can't you put up a shield door to prevent throws to the obvious opening, but still keeping more accurate throws possible? I haven't played the game, so I really know nothing about it apart from what I've gathered here. Seems like Quidditch.
You could use shield doors, but I figure that's a lazy solution (at least for me since I'm a novice Forger.) The maps I've worked on tend to feel too open and empty or really tight-quarters so I think the best solution for me is to drop the elevations of the ball spawns and add more LOS blockers so it's simply harder to make initial throws without moving the ball.

Also, if you play Wahrer's map he has multiple goals with different point values, so pretty quidditchy in feel.

You could use shield doors, but I figure that's a lazy solution (at least for me since I'm a novice Forger.) The maps I've worked on tend to feel too open and empty or really tight-quarters so I think the best solution for me is to drop the elevations of the ball spawns and add more LOS blockers so it's simply harder to make initial throws without moving the ball.

Also, if you play Wahrer's map he has multiple goals with different point values, so pretty quidditchy in feel.

For whatever reason, there are two types of goals available in Forge: Hoops and Endzones. Hoops only accept throws, while Endzones only accept throw-ins. Due to the way the tagging system works (up to 4 or 5 tags per object) all the ones in matchmaking are flagged as Hoops and Endzones. On my map Synthesis, each base has two Hoops at the very top and an Endzone deeper into the spawn hive. You can't even throw the ball into the Endzone - it has to be a direct run-in. I set it up so that Hoop goals are a point apiece while Endzone goals earn you a whopping 5 points, and it's 30 points to win.

You can only change the hoop / endzone point values (it's not possible to set separate values for two different Endzones or anything) but another interesting feature built into the gametype is that you actually have the option to earn points on ball assists. That is, successful passes will actually earn you an in-game point.

Bonus fact: there's also a RICO_INVINCIBLE tag that makes objects impossible to destroy in Ricochet, so I've been using it on Dominion Shields for walls / general aesthetics.

Invasion minus the silliness of different races and weapons is actually pretty okay, I agree.

"Guys, this map has some serious issues."

"Man, that map needs some serious work."

"Red team has a huge advantage."

j/k, I forgive you guys, other team :)

The invincible vehicles were kind of dumb, but it was neat that they got destroyed once the game transitioned to the next phase.

Striker

50ppp master race unite

Invasion was a really cool asymmetrical multi-objective game type. Too bad that there were no good maps for it and couldn't get the TU treatment. :/
The TU would've hurt the players using Elite even more.. still wasn't a fan of them weakening the Elites from the beta. They already had inferior weapons (outside the blueberry [rip] and plasma pistol, no other weapons were useful against vehicles).

As for the other part, you know what were cool asymmetric BTB gametypes? One flag and one bomb, which were essentially killed because Bungie stopped making good BTB maps for them.

Karl2177

Where did those HaloGAF tourney spreadsheets go? Should we update those so we know how to balance teams in customs?

Monsterfracas' garbage "tier" spreadsheet or the full stats spreadsheet that is only half finished and sitting on one of my hard drives?

Fracas

#fuckonami
Meet me somewhere

yeah i know it was shit. at least with the exception of gufu's team, it was mildly balanced

For customs, why don't we just have a big FFA at the start then split up the teams. Like the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc go to Red (odds) and the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc go to Blue (evens), and use that as a starting point.

IHaveIce

Banned
For customs, why don't we just have a big FFA at the start then split up the teams. Like the 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th, etc go to Red (odds) and the 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th, etc go to Blue (evens), and use that as a starting point.

Well FFA and Team based slayer play really different, but damn I want to be in on these next customs.

Well FFA and Team based slayer play really different, but damn I want to be in on these next customs.

Yeah, but at least it would get us a rough non-subjective starting point that we can then check and balance once we go into team games. Last weekend was pretty sick/dope/tight/rad/awesome.

Tashi

343i Lead Esports Producer
16 player FFA will decide absolutely nothing. It's going to be a complete shit show lol

I say we take the best players and split them, then everyone splits after that. After each unbalanced game we look at the stats from the games and adjust accordingly.

16 player FFA will decide absolutely nothing. It's going to be a complete shit show lol

I say we take the best players and split them, then everyone splits after that. After each unbalanced game we look at the stats from the games and adjust accordingly.

I mean, we can probably just go by word of mouth following the top-tier split-ups. I'm more than willing to admit I'm the token wildcard / worst on GAF.

Fuchsdh

Maybe just run concurrent FFAs so you only have a max of 8, then split them similarly?

Although I was surprised--we did a 16 player Haven FFA to split teams for HBO co-op night and the results pretty much broke down by skill anyhow. I thought it would be a lot more random--the game does a good job of spawning you out of danger.

FyreWulff

What we usually did with a big group was pick two good people, put them on separate teams in the lobby, then had them quickly pick teammates.

It usually kept things balanced.

edit: In the Halo 2 era we also ran nights were 8 regulars would pair off with 8 people from the forum that didn't play much in a big multi team game

I'm not sure if autobalancing (as an option) at the end of rounds would work for Halo. Maybe?

I was gonna say "or we could do it like soccer on the playground"

I still like FFA because then it takes some of the really subjective guesswork out, especially with newer people (like me).

Top Bottom